What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

live Grateful Dead (1 Viewer)

Did anyone go to the Star Lake show last night? Seeing a lot of horror stories about traffic getting in and people just leaving their cars on the side of the road. Heading there to see Phish in July and want to know best method to the venue.

I feel like it's an end of an era, so I think last night's show was extra special. Shakedown was rocking more than I have seen it at this location. We took the kids for their first show and they had a good time, although it was a culture shock for our 13 year old daughter. Ended the night with a 1 AM Waffle House meal.

I feel like it's an end of an era, so I think last night's show was extra special. Shakedown was rocking more than I have seen it at this location. We took the kids for their first show and they had a good time, although it was a culture shock for our 13 year old daughter. Ended the night with a 1 AM Waffle House meal.
[/QUOTE.
My daughter did her first show last year at Foxboro at 13. We hung out in front of the soundboard. She had a blast. The rain delay was crazy though. It was POURING.

As an 80's Deadhead, the Mayer phenomenon has been crazy to watch. I've seen every incarnation of the Grateful Dead post Jerry; The Other Ones, The Dead, Furthur and Dead & Co. Mayer is a really good guitarist and brings his own thing. I've enjoyed their shows, but can't really say Dead & Co. was my favorite post Jerry band, but it definitely was the biggest. This band got huge. Filling stadiums at $200+ a ticket. Wild to see how popular they've gotten. Was this all because of Mayer? Will be interesting to see what comes next.

As a fan, I really enjoyed the crowd lull during the Furthur years. Got to see Bob, Phil, Jeff and Joe Russo do their thing in some tiny venues. The Other Ones had some really talented line-ups too. As a fan it's all been fun to see them keep the music going all these years. WIth Bobby getting up there, it does feel like a potential end of the road for the Dead experience, which probably helps fuel the popularity of this tour.

As much as I've enjoyed all the post Grateful Dead bands, I have never gotten over the loss of Jerry. Even during a killer Mayer solo, something is just missing for me. Jerry took me places no one has since. Still feel happy that the music never stops.

As an 80's Deadhead, the Mayer phenomenon has been crazy to watch. I've seen every incarnation of the Grateful Dead post Jerry; The Other Ones, The Dead, Furthur and Dead & Co. Mayer is a really good guitarist and brings his own thing. I've enjoyed their shows, but can't really say Dead & Co. was my favorite post Jerry band, but it definitely was the biggest. This band got huge. Filling stadiums at $200+ a ticket. Wild to see how popular they've gotten. Was this all because of Mayer? Will be interesting to see what comes next.

As a fan, I really enjoyed the crowd lull during the Furthur years. Got to see Bob, Phil, Jeff and Joe Russo do their thing in some tiny venues. The Other Ones had some really talented line-ups too. As a fan it's all been fun to see them keep the music going all these years. WIth Bobby getting up there, it does feel like a potential end of the road for the Dead experience, which probably helps fuel the popularity of this tour.

As much as I've enjoyed all the post Grateful Dead bands, I have never gotten over the loss of Jerry. Even during a killer Mayer solo, something is just missing for me. Jerry took me places no one has since. Still feel happy that the music never stops.
80s deadhead as well - was a huge Jerry fan....after he died and Bobby got all corporate about bootlegs I pretty much wrote him off. I was not a huge fan of Further so I went without for a long time....then the "final shows" happened as well as Dead and Co and I must say I have been recharged. Mayer brings much needed energy and I even made my peace with Bobby. I love these songs and hearing them live is an experience even without Jerry.

Going to Citi for 2 shows next week to close out this version of the Dead - Im confident a new one will emerge as Bobby will be touring until he cant do it physically anymore and Meyer seems like hes hooked for life. If not there are so many good cover bands like Dark Star and Jrad plus pretty solid local ones not to mention Relisten apps awesome catalog - I get my fix when needed.

I was at the Noblesville show last night. Dead and Co is on fire right now. They were the best I have ever heard them (my 4th show live and a few others on Nugs over the years). Wish I could make it to a couple others before this draws to a close, but I will have to settle for Nugs.

I was at the Noblesville show last night. Dead and Co is on fire right now. They were the best I have ever heard them (my 4th show live and a few others on Nugs over the years). Wish I could make it to a couple others before this draws to a close, but I will have to settle for Nugs.
I love Billy but I guess it WAS him that was killing the pace. They had a much quicker tempo, and were really entertaining on the stream this week. I expect they will keep it going somehow.

80s deadhead as well - was a huge Jerry fan....after he died and Bobby got all corporate about bootlegs I pretty much wrote him off. I was not a huge fan of Further so I went without for a long time....then the "final shows" happened as well as Dead and Co and I must say I have been recharged. Mayer brings much needed energy and I even made my peace with Bobby. I love these songs and hearing them live is an experience even without Jerry.
I haven't been able to do this. My disdain for him has increased over the years, and there was a time when I was more a Bobby guy than a Jerry guy. It's the opposite now.

I think I gave up trying after how he was with Trey during parts of the 50th tour .

I seen the Grateful Dead at least twice, Alpine, Soldier Field and worked the Uptown but we had shows at Riv,and Aragon at same time so was running back and forth.
Saw TOO with Jimmy Herring, and opening set by Hunter at Rosemont.
Phil Lesh and Friends at Auditorium mainly to visit venues I had worked in 70's with Warren Hayes I believe on guitar.
Ratdog at least 4 times...loved them and the vibe. Madison Theatre Peoria, Rave, Riviera I think two nights, I think lol.
I should go see this ensemble but I guess Otiel Burbridge and Mayer's guitar (Buddy Guy approved) and vocals add along with modern sound bringing stellar consistent sound helped add young fans to the legions of Deadheads.
Traded (vined actually) hundreds of shows on CD at Ratdog.org and several of the shows I went too were meetups.
And the music never stopped...and all those towns had a heart...

Going to Citi for 2 shows next week to close out this version of the Dead - Im confident a new one will emerge as Bobby will be touring until he cant do it physically anymore and Meyer seems like hes hooked for life. If not there are so many good cover bands like Dark Star and Jrad plus pretty solid local ones not to mention Relisten apps awesome catalog - I get my fix when needed.
I was on the floor at the first of the citi shows... good time

I haven't been able to do this. My disdain for him has increased over the years, and there was a time when I was more a Bobby guy than a Jerry guy. It's the opposite now.

I think I gave up trying after how he was with Trey during parts of the 50th tour .
I hear you - it wasnt easy but it was worth it to enjoy the last few years of Dead and Co.

Me too. I had a great time. Had to do the Creek one last time. My one and only show this run. Just a fun show all around for me. Had PIT and was able to get pretty close, which was fun for my last Dead & Co. show. Bertha opener is always good. The Big River/Dark Star thing was new to me, and cool. Always love a Half-Step. I hadn't seen an Iko Iko in a long time, that was a good 2nd set opener. I thought they did a great job on China>Rider, especially on I Know you Rider. that hit some highs for me. Same with UJB. I really enjoyed both sets.

The Deer Creek scene was great. Massive and chill. Felt like the 80's/90's scene to me. It was a time warp. Weather was great, which helped, but the scene was next level. No cops that I saw. No hassles and everything was going on before and after the show. Really glad I made the trip.

Me too. I had a great time. Had to do the Creek one last time. My one and only show this run. Just a fun show all around for me. Had PIT and was able to get pretty close, which was fun for my last Dead & Co. show. Bertha opener is always good. The Big River/Dark Star thing was new to me, and cool. Always love a Half-Step. I hadn't seen an Iko Iko in a long time, that was a good 2nd set opener. I thought they did a great job on China>Rider, especially on I Know you Rider. that hit some highs for me. Same with UJB. I really enjoyed both sets.

The Deer Creek scene was great. Massive and chill. Felt like the 80's/90's scene to me. It was a time warp. Weather was great, which helped, but the scene was next level. No cops that I saw. No hassles and everything was going on before and after the show. Really glad I made the trip.
lol...I was in the PIT too, at least part of the time. I had purchased Lawn seats when they first went on sale...group of 4 of us went. When the Seat Geek fiasco unfolded I "bought" a PIT ticket ($400+ for free!!). Actually tried to get 2 as did my buddy, but only 1 actually processed and got transferred for each of us before Seat Geek shut down the fun. Anyway, Since only 2 of us had PIT tickets, I sat on the lawn with my buddies and went down to the PIT for the first few songs of the second set. Made my way back to the Lawn during Uncle John's Band which I though was a little lackluster until they turned it into a jam...that could be because I was busy trying to make my way though the crowd and maybe wasn't as tuned in as I could have been. The Big River/Dark Star thing had me confused as hell. I just thought I was too stoned to figure out what I was listening to. And I agree, they killed it on Rider. I also thought the Sugaree was fantastic. Did things seemed rushed at the end? I thought the Touch of Grey at the end was a bit weak and it seemed they hurried their bow...I don't think they even waited for Jay Lane to get down from the drum set to join them. I thought that was odd.

lol...I was in the PIT too, at least part of the time. I had purchased Lawn seats when they first went on sale...group of 4 of us went. When the Seat Geek fiasco unfolded I "bought" a PIT ticket ($400+ for free!!). Actually tried to get 2 as did my buddy, but only 1 actually processed and got transferred for each of us before Seat Geek shut down the fun. Anyway, Since only 2 of us had PIT tickets, I sat on the lawn with my buddies and went down to the PIT for the first few songs of the second set. Made my way back to the Lawn during Uncle John's Band which I though was a little lackluster until they turned it into a jam...that could be because I was busy trying to make my way though the crowd and maybe wasn't as tuned in as I could have been. The Big River/Dark Star thing had me confused as hell. I just thought I was too stoned to figure out what I was listening to. And I agree, they killed it on Rider. I also thought the Sugaree was fantastic. Did things seemed rushed at the end? I thought the Touch of Grey at the end was a bit weak and it seemed they hurried their bow...I don't think they even waited for Jay Lane to get down from the drum set to join them. I thought that was odd.
PIT was oversold as I figured it would be. It has to be the smallest pit on tour though. Luckily got a side rail and hung on for the whole show. Pit is weirder to me these days. Just a strange mix of people and drama. Guess there are "regulars" who boss people around and stuff. Not exactly the same vibes as I remember. Still had a blast and glad I was in there.

Yeah, I don't think they left the stage for Touch. I had to ask my buddy if he thought that was the ending or encore. Figured it was a timing thing. Some of these places have to stop playing by a certain time. Or they just wanted to get on the road for Boulder. We were walking by the busses after the show and they hit road ASAP.

I heard Jay has been sick so trying to quarantine from the other members as much as possible.

Did any of you guys see the "A History Of Rock Music in 500 Songs"? The guy doing it is doing exactly what he says he's doing. Explaining rock in 500 tunes. Number 165 is a three-hour podcast or so about the Dead. It's interesting. Check it here. It's from late May, the Dead segment, and is first on the list right now. "Dark Star" is the song the guy explains.

We used to LOVE when the Dead came in the area. We would trade our weed for their shrooms. Back then Shooms were much harder to get in our circles.

Strong setlist tonight.

I
Not Fade Away all >
Shakedown Street bw
Cold Rain and Snow jm
Ramble on Rose bw
Brown Eyed Women jm
New Speedway Boogie bw >
Wharf Rat bw >
Don’t Ease jm

II
China Cat Sunflower bw
I Know You Rider bw jm >
He’s Gone be jm >
Scarlet Begonias bw >
Fire On The Mountain ob >
Drums/Space (Big River/Dark Star Jam)>
Standing on the Moon bw >
Casey Jones bw jm >
U.S. Blues jm bw

Encore:
Knocking on Heaven’s Door bw

Last edited:
They opened with Not Fade Away? Interesting. I would have predicted that would be played for the final show. Maybe they will revisit it sort of like bookends. I am getting together with a few buddies to stream the final show Sunday. Not quite the same as being there, but hey, it's what I got.

As noted, I've been playing a lot of live shows on YT lately. I was starting to have trouble keeping track of what I had listened to, and not 100% trusting of the little red bar on the YT page. So I had the idea of starting a Google spreadsheet of the ones I've already played, and then thought I could also use it to save links for shows I hadn't gotten to yet.

Long story short, I went down a bit of a dead.net rabbit hole and built THIS (which is a work in progress but should keep me busy listening for a while)

Set up us the listening parties.
Currently 730+ shows linked

Caught Dead & Company for the Saturday (7/15) show in San Francisco. It was my first time at Oracle Park and what a great venue that is. All the heads were so cool. My daughter brought our Jerry plush doll and so many people took pictures with him. One girl pinned a cloth rose on him. Only walked on the outskirts of shakedown as we got there a little late from Berkley.

Originally bought the tickets based on this being the final show, then they added the Sunday show. We already made plans for Tahoe so couldn't make that one. Really wanted to hear Brokedown for a number of reasons, and they obviously ended with that (and NFA) on Sunday. It's all good though because Saturday's show RIPPED!!! They brought energy that I hadn't seen the last two times I saw them in '21 & '22. Much faster tempo with some fantastic jams.

Highlight of set 1 was Cassidy. We named our daughter after this song and she was right there grooving with us. "Born to me....Cassidy"

Loved the Deal opening up the 2nd set and Terrapin was hauntingly powerful. Uncle John's band is always a favorite of mine and the jam in Morning Dew was off the charts!
Since we knew we weren't getting a Brokedown Palace, Ripple was a perfect way to end it for us.

SET 1​

• Good Times
  • Hell in a Bucket
  • It Hurts Me Too
  • Jack Straw
  • Big Railroad Blues
  • Cassidy
  • They Love Each Other
  • Turn On Your Love Light

SET 2​

• Deal
  • Playing in the Band
  • The Other One
  • Terrapin Station
  • Drums
  • Space
  • Uncle John's Band
  • Morning Dew

ENCORE​

• Ripple

Working my way through the old YT shows chronologically. Currently in February '69.

Interesting to see when songs show up in setlists. At the point I'm listening, Dark Star, St Stephen, Eleven, Cryptical/Other One, Schoolgirl, Death Don't Have No Mercy are staples. Alligator, Caution also pretty frequent. Great stuff, and yet I know so many great songs weren't even written at this point.

One clip was a rehearsal where they were working through the Stephen/Eleven transition for about 30 minutes.

Working my way through the old YT shows chronologically. Currently in February '69.

Interesting to see when songs show up in setlists. At the point I'm listening, Dark Star, St Stephen, Eleven, Cryptical/Other One, Schoolgirl, Death Don't Have No Mercy are staples. Alligator, Caution also pretty frequent. Great stuff, and yet I know so many great songs weren't even written at this point.

One clip was a rehearsal where they were working through the Stephen/Eleven transition for about 30 minutes.
69-74 is probably my favorite era. 70 is my favorite year sound wise. 74 was also epic and you get Wake of the Flood stuff hitting. My favorite Dead record fwiw.

Dead and Company has made it official. they will do a Las Vegas residency at The Sphere. Details aren't out yet, but at will be at least 15 shows. U2's gig ends March 2nd and Phish is lined up for a few shows April 18-21, so should be sometime following that.

Intrigued but assuming it will be priced out - hope they do a PPV as Id be up for a stay at home viewing with my Venty!

Dead and Company has made it official. they will do a Las Vegas residency at The Sphere. Details aren't out yet, but at will be at least 15 shows. U2's gig ends March 2nd and Phish is lined up for a few shows April 18-21, so should be sometime following that.

Intrigued but assuming it will be priced out - hope they do a PPV as Id be up for a stay at home viewing with my Venty!

Base price...
cheapest seats $145
expensive seats $395

145 ain't too bad
Much more reasonable than I anticipated. Those are "all in" prices too including taxes and fees. I have registered for presale for the 3 shows May 30-June 1. Tickets go on sale 2/5
Definitely reasonable face - not a ton of seats so im a bit concerned about the secondary market where most will have to go. Not to mention trying to convince the wife that this is a must go event lol

Going to do the opening run. Used my fantasy winnings to splurge on a package. Couldn't tell if 3-days would be available during the regular onsale and if I'm going to make the trip to Vegas want to go to 3 shows. Did a few Dead Vegas trips in the 90's when they played the Sam Boyd Silver Bowl, Furthur at the Palms in 2013, and Dead & Co. at the MGM a few times. Always have a blast. Love seeing the Dead in Vegas.

Base price...
cheapest seats $145
expensive seats $395
so got a presale code and got into the site - only tix on presale it seems are the $375 GA. I passed.

Rearranging hard drives today and I still have that one a FBG hooked me with. I do need to update with the Dave's and such. Thanks again!

Make sure you do your research on seating at the sphere. I’ve never been but have heard from several people there are definitely good but also some bad seats. Some sections (or in some cases the rear rows of certain sections) have blocked views of the light show overhead and others are extraordinarily steep and challenging if you have a little vertigo. It’s going to be interesting to get reports from the Phish shows because I’ve heard for U2 there is no standing/dancing in the seats. One of my friends is going back but only if she can get on the floor so she can move around. One of my friends went early in the U2 run and said it took them an hour to get out of the building after the show.

That whole sphere deal doesn't sound like Mt bag of chips. I have sensitivity to ps4, I can't image I would enjoy all that. Not to mention the prices and seat issues. I would almost rather see Phish at MSG, AND I HATE PHISH! Are there any other Disco Biscuits fans in here besides me? I have hella shows in flac I am getting together now. They are so good.

Make sure you do your research on seating at the sphere. I’ve never been but have heard from several people there are definitely good but also some bad seats. Some sections (or in some cases the rear rows of certain sections) have blocked views of the light show overhead and others are extraordinarily steep and challenging if you have a little vertigo. It’s going to be interesting to get reports from the Phish shows because I’ve heard for U2 there is no standing/dancing in the seats. One of my friends is going back but only if she can get on the floor so she can move around. One of my friends went early in the U2 run and said it took them an hour to get out of the building after the show.
The 100 level seats have obstructed views. The partial obstructions begin around row 22. Beyond row 30, you are pretty much limited to seeing only the stage...forget about the surround screens. I saw a funny post somewhere about the standing/sitting issue. It said something along the lines of level 100 - dance and move...level 200 sit in awe...levels 300-400 sit out of fear of falling.

Users who are viewing this thread