What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for a family car under $30k (1 Viewer)

Crossovers are the modern equivalent of station wagons. U-G-L-Y. No thanks.

I'd rather take public transportation than be caught dead driving a station wagon or minivan. My condolences to those who drive one of those ugly ### things.
Cool story BRAH. Let's do some KEGSTANDS!
Baseless deflection doesn't make your BradyBunch Wagon less lame :shrug:
Normally I agree with you in many topics, but you are wrong on this. I grew up with a station wagon. I actually loved sitting in the death row looking out the back window. My MKX is not even close to a station wagon. There are still station wagons out there. I love the mix of having an SUV lite storage (3 boys and a house, always full in the back) and driving a car. I like my AWD and 270hp. It's fun to drive. That said, I really didn't like my FIL's CR-V, too small and too little power. I drove my Explorer for a few years before the MKX.

What about that Buick Peyton Manning is pimping? Anyone ever been in one of those? I literally know nothing about Buick. But it looks like a decent enough car.

What about that Buick Peyton Manning is pimping? Anyone ever been in one of those? I literally know nothing about Buick. But it looks like a decent enough car.
Verano. Supposed to be a pretty good car from what my friend who is a Chevy service manager says. Of course, he thinks that Chevys are good. :shrug:

I drove test drove the LaCrosse when I did my family car under $30k shopping... and it was my favorite of all the cars I drove. I did not buy it though, as it was way more expensive then some of the others I liked (and I knew my wife would be the primary driver anyway (unsure))

Just picked up a 2014 VW Passat TDI for $29K OTD

Extremely roomy, front, back and a ton of room in the trunk. Manufacture says 31 city/43 highway mpg, I think we got 36mpg on our first tank(550 miles) and was routinely hitting 45/46 on the freeway. They also look pretty sweet

Extremely roomy, front, back and a ton of room in the trunk. Manufacture says 31 city/43 highway mpg, I think we got 36mpg on our first tank(550 miles) and was routinely hitting 45/46 on the freeway. They also look pretty sweet
Pretty solid but from what I've heard from owners, VW's are built with glue and wiring that lasts about 5-6 years at which point the entire car falls apart and the wiring turns to dust.

Pretty solid but from what I've heard from owners, VW's are built with glue and wiring that lasts about 5-6 years at which point the entire car falls apart and the wiring turns to dust.
That's why you lease :)

Does anyone have a car that needs to be charged? I was looking at the hybrid Fusion that needs to be plugged in, but also uses gas. It's a sweet price for the car, but I have no idea how the charging of a car works. I'm sure it costs money to get a charging station set up in your house. Just wonder if it works out in the end.

Does anyone have a car that needs to be charged? I was looking at the hybrid Fusion that needs to be plugged in, but also uses gas. It's a sweet price for the car, but I have no idea how the charging of a car works. I'm sure it costs money to get a charging station set up in your house. Just wonder if it works out in the end.
Can`t you just pull on to a docking station in your garage?

I know a guy who has a Nissan Leaf. It's pretty much a power brick that plugs into your car and house outlet.

I know a guy who has a Nissan Leaf. It's pretty much a power brick that plugs into your car and house outlet.
That's what I thought it would be, but I looked online and I see some things about having a docking station installed in your house for only $40 a month for 3 years. I was kind of on board when it was just an outlet plug. But this seems to defeat the purpose of the money you'd save.

I'm finally going to replace the 96' Cierra SL. :(

I like the Odyssey, so I'll probably roll with the Accord EX-L without doing much research. People seem to like them.

That's what I thought it would be, but I looked online and I see some things about having a docking station installed in your house for only $40 a month for 3 years. I was kind of on board when it was just an outlet plug. But this seems to defeat the purpose of the money you'd save.
You need to get better at reading. ;)

The Fusion Energi Plug-In Hybrid is a progressive hybrid that provides the option of plugging in or not. With plug-in capability, you can fully charge the battery overnight using a 120-volt outlet. There is also an available 240-volt home charging station that provides a full recharge in approximately 2.5 hours.
You can use your existing outlet. No idea on the cost, but the 240 volt charging station is if you want to charge faster. Kind of like those Tesla charging stations that are only in very select locations, but they are way faster than charging at home. I definitely wouldn't lease something like that. I would bet that it probably isn't even that complex. Pretty sure most hot tubs at peoples houses are a special 240 volt outlet. I had the guy who did my backyard install that, which is why I am not 100% sure. Again, I would look into what it cost.

The Fusion Energi Plug-In Hybrid is a progressive hybrid that provides the option of plugging in or not. With plug-in capability, you can fully charge the battery overnight using a 120-volt outlet. There is also an available 240-volt home charging station that provides a full recharge in approximately 2.5 hours.
You can use your existing outlet. No idea on the cost, but the 240 volt charging station is if you want to charge faster. Kind of like those Tesla charging stations that are only in very select locations, but they are way faster than charging at home. I definitely wouldn't lease something like that. I would bet that it probably isn't even that complex. Pretty sure most hot tubs at peoples houses are a special 240 volt outlet. I had the guy who did my backyard install that, which is why I am not 100% sure. Again, I would look into what it cost.
Wait. So what happens if you don't plug it in? Will it eventually recharge like a normal hybrid?

Wait. So what happens if you don't plug it in? Will it eventually recharge like a normal hybrid?
Yes, hence the "option" of plugging it in or not. I assume that plugging in is more efficient that using the gasoline engine to power the batteries, hence the reason why you would want to plug it in. If you park it in the garage overnight and don't need fast plug-ins, then you just plug it in overnight and when you can't you have a normal hybrid.

Yes, hence the "option" of plugging it in or not. I assume that plugging in is more efficient that using the gasoline engine to power the batteries, hence the reason why you would want to plug it in. If you park it in the garage overnight and don't need fast plug-ins, then you just plug it in overnight and when you can't you have a normal hybrid.
This whole thing is pissing me off. This is why I hate hybrids. :hot:

Just bought a Chevy Impala. It has a huge backseat and you can fit two or three dead bodies in the trunk (If you had to for some odd reason). Thing I like most is the cabin is quiet, absolutely no road noise. Also if you have kids, this car got great safety ratings.

Have you considered a Tesla?
I don't have that kind of money to throw at a car right now. I'm trying to stay fiscally responsible while I restore my credit and save up for a new house.
Have you spoken to Eminence about fiscal planning?
Don't think the sheikh lives at his mom's place though. Besides, they're not homies anymore...
That's right. I keep forgetting that they broke up. :awkward:

Why? It seems like it covers every option you can think of including high efficiency ones if you want them. Look at it as a hybrid, then slowly decide if you want to pull the cord out and plug it in to get even better mileage. Then as you adjust to that new method of thinking, start figuring out if you need a faster charging station and decide if you want to pay for that. At that point, it will be time to get another new car, but at least you won't have taxed yourself into frustration overload from having to decide if you should plug in or not.

Why? It seems like it covers every option you can think of including high efficiency ones if you want them. Look at it as a hybrid, then slowly decide if you want to pull the cord out and plug it in to get even better mileage. Then as you adjust to that new method of thinking, start figuring out if you need a faster charging station and decide if you want to pay for that. At that point, it will be time to get another new car, but at least you won't have taxed yourself into frustration overload from having to decide if you should plug in or not.
I just meant it seems like a lot to worry about. Right now, I just get a car and have to remember to put gas in it and maybe oil every year. That's enough work for me.

I don't have that kind of money to throw at a car right now. I'm trying to stay fiscally responsible while I restore my credit and save up for a new house.
I can assure you that if this HEMP thing pays off, I'll probably get two Teslas. And maybe even buy a couple Tesla bones to hang from the rearview mirror.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can assure you that if this HEMP thing pays off, I'll probably get two Teslas. And maybe even buy a couple Tesla bones to hang from the rearview mirror.
Oooo...fancy.

You guys made me curious. This is essentially a hybrid hybrid. A cross between an electric car and a hybrid. You plug it in to charge the batteries and your first 20 miles or so you drive on straight electric. Then after that it runs like a hybrid. So if you drive less than 20 miles, you use no gas. Or if your workplace has an electric charging station like mine does, you can actually use their electricity. I'd be able to go virtually gasless and have my place of work pay for half of my fuel costs getting there and back. And I could get a prime parking spot since they installed this thing years ago and literally no one has used it.

If you were to go 40 miles to work on the same deal, you'd be getting "100 MPG", because you were gasless the first 20 miles and then got 47 MPG for the miles after this. Which is why they give them higher MPG ratings on city driving. Those MPG ratings are very dependent on your driving patterns.

As for charging, the 240V gets you 2.5 hour charge times. 120V it seems to take "overnight", I'd guess that's like 5 hours.

It's also about 300 lbs heavier and you lose half of the trunk space for batteries. This is a negative for hauling stuff, but supposedly the heavier feel makes it feel more regular car like according to the review I read.

Kind of interesting. Now you bastards are making me do research on a car though. I'm tempted to look at one of these when I was just going to get myself a nice Accord and call it a day.

You guys made me curious. This is essentially a hybrid hybrid. A cross between an electric car and a hybrid. You plug it in to charge the batteries and your first 20 miles or so you drive on straight electric. Then after that it runs like a hybrid. So if you drive less than 20 miles, you use no gas. Or if your workplace has an electric charging station like mine does, you can actually use their electricity. I'd be able to go virtually gasless and have my place of work pay for half of my fuel costs getting there and back.

If you were to go 40 miles to work on the same deal, you'd be getting "100 MPG", because you were gasless the first 20 miles and then got 47 MPG for the miles after this. Which is why they give them higher MPG ratings on city driving. Those MPG ratings are very dependent on your driving patterns. And how much you pay for electricity will depend on whether you can piggy back off of your work or not. They installed this charging station a couple years ago and no one uses it, so I'd actually be getting myself a kickass parking spot too.

As for charging, the 240V gets you 2.5 hour charge times. 120V it seems to take "overnight", I'd guess that's like 5 hours.

It's also about 300 lbs heavier and you lose half of the trunk space for batteries. This is a negative for hauling stuff, but supposedly the heavier feel makes it feel more regular car like according to the review I read.

Kind of interesting. Now you bastards are making me do research on a car though. I'm tempted to look at one of these when I was just going to get myself a nice Accord and call it a day.
The truck space is the deal breaker for me, in all honesty.

You guys made me curious. This is essentially a hybrid hybrid. A cross between an electric car and a hybrid. You plug it in to charge the batteries and your first 20 miles or so you drive on straight electric. Then after that it runs like a hybrid. So if you drive less than 20 miles, you use no gas. Or if your workplace has an electric charging station like mine does, you can actually use their electricity. I'd be able to go virtually gasless and have my place of work pay for half of my fuel costs getting there and back.

If you were to go 40 miles to work on the same deal, you'd be getting "100 MPG", because you were gasless the first 20 miles and then got 47 MPG for the miles after this. Which is why they give them higher MPG ratings on city driving. Those MPG ratings are very dependent on your driving patterns. And how much you pay for electricity will depend on whether you can piggy back off of your work or not. They installed this charging station a couple years ago and no one uses it, so I'd actually be getting myself a kickass parking spot too.

The truck space is the deal breaker for me, in all honesty.
Thinking about it - I don't even use my trunk. Theoretically we might use this for just general tooling around more - we never use my car because it's an old piece of crap, but I literally never use my trunk with my current driving patterns.

Man, I want one of these like tomorrow. I'm done with my car.

TheIronSheik said:
DrJ said:
How much does the government give you to buy one of these?
$5000+
This seems like a pretty solid way to go. I want leather, and by the time you get to leather in the Hybrid version you're into the 30's anyways. Energi SE starts with leather, and you can find these for 35Kish. With 4-5K from the government there's pretty much no difference in price. It's just a question of whether trunk space or fuel economy are more important to you. Hmmmm...

Drove the Fusion Hybrid last night. A little bit strange of a driving experience, but tolerable. The part that will annoy me the most if the seemingly variable amount of pick up. You get a quick jump off of the line, then when it hits like 40 MPH it starts struggling to accelerate and it takes forever to get to 60.

They didn't have the Energi's there and the local Honda dealer didn't have any Accord Hybrids. It looks like there's only a few EX-L's in the entire Chicagoland area and only certain Ford dealers are authorized to sell the Energi. Strange. Even the salesman I talked to last night didn't understand the technology (the Energi) and way saying it operates just like a normal hybrid but this charges the battery for you rather than waiting for the engine to do it.

I think I'm crossing the Fusion Hybrid off of my list, doesn't seem to make any sense given my preference for leather and lack of need for trunk space 99% of the time. Down to the Accord Hybrid or the Energi, but I have to drive 20 miles to see/drive either of them.

TheIronSheik said:
DrJ said:
$5000+
This seems like a pretty solid way to go. I want leather, and by the time you get to leather in the Hybrid version you're into the 30's anyways. Energi SE starts with leather, and you can find these for 35Kish. With 4-5K from the government there's pretty much no difference in price. It's just a question of whether trunk space or fuel economy are more important to you. Hmmmm...

Drove the Fusion Hybrid last night. A little bit strange of a driving experience, but tolerable. The part that will annoy me the most if the seemingly variable amount of pick up. You get a quick jump off of the line, then when it hits like 40 MPH it starts struggling to accelerate and it takes forever to get to 60.

They didn't have the Energi's there and the local Honda dealer didn't have any Accord Hybrids. It looks like there's only a few EX-L's in the entire Chicagoland area and only certain Ford dealers are authorized to sell the Energi. Strange. Even the salesman I talked to last night didn't understand the technology (the Energi) and way saying it operates just like a normal hybrid but this charges the battery for you rather than waiting for the engine to do it.

I think I'm crossing the Fusion Hybrid off of my list, doesn't seem to make any sense given my preference for leather and lack of need for trunk space 99% of the time. Down to the Accord Hybrid or the Energi, but I have to drive 20 miles to see/drive either of them.
You can't get leather in the Hybrid?

TheIronSheik said:
DrJ said:
$5000+

You can, but it doesn't even come on the SE - you either have to go SE with some upgrade or else go Titanium. Once you do this, you're hitting 30K anyways and you're only 5-6K away from an Energi version, of which the government picks up $4K from what I see, $5K according to what you've seen. For an extra grand or two, the Energi is a slam dunk IMO. You could never even use the charge feature and it barely cost you anything anyways.

So to me, this makes it Accord Hybrid vs Fusion Energi. If the Accord drives more car like, I'd probably go that direction as that's desirable. I can live with the way this Fusion drives, but I'd prefer not to. If it's similar in terms of driving, I probably go Energi just because that seems really cool. And parking spaces and using work's energy are big pluses even though I plan to quit this job soon.

TheIronSheik said:
DrJ said:
$5000+

You can, but it doesn't even come on the SE - you either have to go SE with some upgrade or else go Titanium. Once you do this, you're hitting 30K anyways and you're only 5-6K away from an Energi version, of which the government picks up $4K from what I see, $5K according to what you've seen. For an extra grand or two, the Energi is a slam dunk IMO. You could never even use the charge feature and it barely cost you anything anyways.
Oh. I got what you're saying.

BTW, you can go to Ford's website and price the car and it'll give you the details of the rebate. That's how I found it. The calculator is probably one of the nicest things I've seen on a car company's website in all my car buying time.

Just got quoted 33k on an Energi SE Luxury. With 4K back, I'm starting to need a reason not to buy this car. I may have one of these by end of day.

Users who are viewing this thread