What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for a hybrid/electric vehicle for our son (1 Viewer)

Our son will be starting to drive in the next 3-4 months. When considering how to go about this, we started thinking that a hybrid/EV might be a good way to go. But, we've never owned one. 

Doesn't need to be too big or fast or anything. Would like for him to be able to drive his two younger sisters at times if need be and then something he can take with him when he leaves for college.

Open to new or used, but again given the current used car environment, we are thinking new is the way to go. Plus, would still get a federal refund if I'm not mistaken.

The Kia Niro hybrid is currently at the top of the list.  Gets ~45-50+ mpg. It comes in a full EV option as well but it's far more expensive.  Prius and Leaf other options we are looking at.

Any collective wisdom on the above would be appreciated. Is an EV for a student a good idea? Other EVs to consider? Things to look out for? Ideas how to get one at the best price?
(Haven't read the rest of the thread)

I bought a Niro EV last August, drove it through a Michigan winter... I love it.  If I had it to do over again, though, I might have gone with the plug-in hybrid.  For commuting and dropping the kids off at practice, it would just use the small battery, but for a road trip I wouldn't have to deal with finding charging stations (I use our gas car on road trips for that reason).

Money-wise, the EV is a little better deal over the life of the car than the hybrid.  Kias still get the $7500 tax break, and with no oil changes, it works out over the life of the car (calculated before gas prices went to the moon).  But until the charging infrastructure improves, a plug-in hybrid is less of a hassle with most of the benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the plug in hybrid Niros are essentially non existent. 5 in the country last week. Even considered flying to go get one, but alas....

Anyway, got a text yesterday that our dealership here just got 2 regular hybrids in. The last time I got that text a few weeks ago, I went there to see it and they were already both sold in the 30 minutes it took me to get there.

So I was there within 15 minutes and got one of them. It's a neat little car, not too big but still plenty of room inside. And at 50 mpg, can't complain. Plus, this dealership doesn't mark up at all. No EV or plug in rebate, unfortunately, but happy with getting this.

Thanks for the advice in here, much appreciated as always.

Fantastic.  I hope he enjoys it as much as we enjoy ours.  

What color did you get?  (This is, of course, the most important part.)
They had black and steel gray. Got the black.

I've never been a huge fan of black vehicles because they always look dirtier than other colors, but it looks good on this car. And the dealership offers free car washes anytime and his school is a mile away, so....

I see Chevy is dropping the price of the Bolt to $26,500 after destination fee soon. A great option for those looking for an EV and a steal at that price. That’s assuming no sketchy dealer markups.

The cool thing was they also had a pre-owned 2020 Niro with only 27,000 miles. They were selling it for...... the exact same price as the new one I was getting.

This market.... :rolleyes:

The cool thing was they also had a pre-owned 2020 Niro with only 27,000 miles. They were selling it for...... the exact same price as the new one I was getting.

This market.... :rolleyes:

Yeah a lot of dealerships are like "NEW CAR" and what they mean is new to them, with 30,000 miles on it.  I'm getting nowhere with a car for my daughter.

For a new driver, I think I'd go Prius.  I drove a 2010 Prius for nearly 10 years, I kind of miss it.  I don't recall a single problem with it.  Always got 50+ mpg.   

I don't know the prices on a used one, but its a great car.  Not fast, big enough for a few friends, but will never be the car where 6 kids hop into.  

For a new driver, I think I'd go Prius.  I drove a 2010 Prius for nearly 10 years, I kind of miss it.  I don't recall a single problem with it.  Always got 50+ mpg.   

I don't know the prices on a used one, but its a great car.  Not fast, big enough for a few friends, but will never be the car where 6 kids hop into.  
We looked.  They were all sold out here.  And they were the same price as the Niro we got.  Same mpg.  Actually more useful given the size and space in the Niro.  That was option #2.

Basically wiped out new around here.  

We looked.  They were all sold out here.  And they were the same price as the Niro we got.  Same mpg.  Actually more useful given the size and space in the Niro.  That was option #2.
That's just wild.  I sold mine when my youngest was 10.  If he had been 14 or so I would have just held on to it.  

I have a Tesla 3.  When it is hot out in AZ and you have the AC on and four people in the car the range is really limited.  I recently read an article that showed the cost of 5 year ownership of a Toyota Camry is less then a Tesla, even at current gas prices.

I have a Tesla 3. When it is hot out in AZ and you have the AC on and four people in the car the range is really limited. I recently read an article that showed the cost of 5 year ownership of a Toyota Camry is less then a Tesla, even at current gas prices.

Who has a Toyota Camry and a Model 3 on their car shopping list together?

Users who are viewing this thread