What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for new FFL ideas (1 Viewer)

pantagrapher

Footballguy
I've been lucky. I've been in a great league with nine friends for the last five years. Every year we tweak the rules a bit to keep things interesting. I was wondering if any of you tried rule changes this year that turns out to be a success. That is, things you'd recommend.10-team head-to-head keeper league.1 QB1 RB1 WR3 FLEX1 TE1 K3 IDPI'll hang up and listen.

Use 2 quarterbacks.
I prefer the flex (QB included)..5 for PPR has worked out very well in our league also.
I'd prefer flex in a 12-teamer, but 10 teams is perfect for 2 QBs. My league has been doing it for several years now and it's our favorite system by far.

Don't know what you do or really what you are looking for, but we do a garbage bowl besides the Super Bowl(which we have in week 16) so to extend the season we give $25 to the team with the most points including their whole roster for week 17 just to extend the fantasy season. It gives everyone some motivation to keep trying by having the garbage bowl for money and then also throwing in $25 for the top points in week 17 this way a team won't give up because there is always hope to get some of your money back.

Definetely an auction. We use a $100 salary cap where teams have to fit all their players under the cap then have weekly auctions thereafter. We do not have a hard cap after the season starts and I give each owner an extra 100 transaction points (TPs) that they use to bid on players throughout the season. When owners run dry they can trade for TPs or they are just out of luck. We also have a toilet bowl championship where the winner gets 1/3 of the original buy in and a great toilet bowl trophy. Over the years we have upgraded the trophy (I use to buy a toilet brush and add stickers and a plate) to the point teams really keep competing once they are out of playoff contention. The guy that won it this year has now won three of the last four and he's actually proud of it! He keeps them all on his desk. I like the total points idea and it is something I think we'll incorporate next year in my league. I think I'm gonna shave the division winner's take and make it a three way split. If one of those division winners gets the points crown, so be it. We also have a third place game which helps. It's for 1/2 of the league buy in so teams keep competing all the way to the end.

Here are somethings that we do in our 12 team keeper league...Don't know if you already do it or not, but use Decimal Scoring to reduce the chances of a tieWe have an injury sub. This give the owner an option for the dreaded GTD. If a player is questionable or worse the owner can designate another player on their roster to be subbed into the lineup if the injured player does not play. The owner of the injured player is required to notify the commissioner AND their opponet prior to kickoff. If the injured player plays 1 down he is considered to have played. You can use the Gamebook on NFL.COM to see if the the player played. We also allow player rentals. We have 15 open roster sport so we allow owners to rent a player for one week without having to cut a player from their current roster. Renting a player costs the same as a transaction. The player must be a free agent on sunday (our transaction deadline), if he is picked up before then a player must be dropped from the active roster.We also do a Toilet Bowl with the 6 non-playoff teams competing for the #1 pick in the draft.

If you want some unique keeper rules, check this out: Eckhart's Hybrid League

We switched to those rules this past season, with a few tweaks for our 2 quarterback system, and it was incredibly fun. The strategy required is completely new and complex.

We also give bonus's for TD's that are over 50 yds. They are worth Double a regular TD. so a 49 yd TD run is 6 pts, a 50 yd'er is 12 pts.Give a little more bonus for those big games. We love it, and will never change this.We also made another scoring chnage recently with Kickers. FG values are based on the distance they are kicked from, so a 21 yd FG is 2.1 points, and a 45 yd FR is 4.5 pts. We have done this for 2 seasons now, and love the change. XP's are still only 1 pt.

I see your league uses IDP's.... but to other leagues looking for a change..... If you don't do it already, individual defensive players instead of team defense adds a whole new dimension to your fantasy league.

Last edited by a moderator:

We also made another scoring chnage recently with Kickers. FG values are based on the distance they are kicked from, so a 21 yd FG is 2.1 points, and a 45 yd FR is 4.5 pts. We have done this for 2 seasons now, and love the change. XP's are still only 1 pt.
like this one...going to suggest this to my league :thumbup:

We have a salary cap of $380 and a player's value is derived from an average of 5 or 6 pre-season auction cheat sheets from various magazines. For example, I have had Priest the past 2 years and he usually runs about $40, Manning usually goes for low $40s, etc... I got Mike Anderson in the 4th round this year for $1! This league is also a 10 player keeper, so not only do you have to draft under the cap, every pre-season you have to keep players you think will be worth their value. This year Priest wasn't worth $40, but you can't just release him, can you? I tried just about everything to get LJ and it was a no go. We also have a rookie squad that doesn't count against the 19 player active roster or the cap unless you activate them. For example, one of the other owners had Bulger and C-Pep from last year and it was going to cost him $95 of cap room to keep both. I took Bulger for a 2nd rounder that netted him Frank Gore. I needed a QB, he needed RBs.We have done this for 2 years and it takes by far the most preparation and skill when drafting. You might do good to draft a solid team in a redraft every year, but when you are stuck with these core players for years, it makes you really do your homework. For example, I took Priest first overall before last season instead of LT, you can really tell what a mistake like that can do to an otherwise solid team when you sit back and look at the total stats between the two for the past 2 seasons. Priest was a risk, and I've been burned for the 2nd half of the last two years when he goes down for the season. Anyway, it adds another dimension, and makes it very competitive when you start trading draft picks.Also, in another league where we do double-headers I started 0-6 and rebounded to lose by about 4 points in the championship. I like double headers because you may have scored 150 points and be the 2nd highest scorer of the week and lose because somebody scored 151. Well, in this case you can stay competitive with teams that won 78 to 46 in one of their matchups. It really seems to even things out (unless you play the two highest scorers each week, trust me it happens).B. Nugget

We did double headers two years ago and the majority of the guys didn't like it. I did. I won!We went to a point per catch to make it a more level playing field between RB's and WR's in a 12 team league. It makes the draft different.

We went to a point per catch to make it a more level playing field between RB's and WR's in a 12 team league. It makes the draft different.
Balanced scoring is great. It's tough to change a scoring system if you already have keepers, but it should be considered if your league is overly RB-heavy. My leagues average starter points are 13.8 for QBs, 14.7 for RBs, and 13.0 for WRs. We start 2/2/3. That kind of balance leaves the door open for different strategies like stud WR or stud QB.

We use the following two things which adds a lot to the mix.a) Tiered scoring.Yards/20 for yards up to 260 for a QBYards/10 for yards over 260 for a QBYards/10 for yards up to 100 for a RBYards/5 for yards over 100 for a RBYards/10 for yards up to 80 for a WR, TEYards/5 for yards over 80 for a WR, TEb) Total passing and receiving yards include receiving yards and Offensive/ Defensive Pass Interference yardage assessed.

Double headers each week.
I emphatically disagree with this.
Emphatically? Why?
Well, if you want to go that far, why not just do all-play for every week of the regular season?Actually, I think that's probably the system that rewards the best teams most reliably, but I gather most on this board would reject it on the basis of parallelism with the NFL.

We also made another scoring chnage recently with Kickers.  FG values are based on the distance they are kicked from, so a 21 yd FG is 2.1 points, and a 45 yd FR is 4.5 pts.  We have done this for 2 seasons now, and love the change.  XP's are still only 1 pt.
like this one...going to suggest this to my league :thumbup:
We instituted a similar scoring system for kickers just this year. (3 pts. 45 & under; 4 points over 45)Nothing glamorous, but it worked out nicely so we're keeping it.

We use the following two things which adds a lot to the mix.

a) Tiered scoring.

Yards/20 for yards up to 260 for a QB

Yards/10 for yards over 260 for a QB

Yards/10 for yards up to 100 for a RB

Yards/5 for yards over 100 for a RB

Yards/10 for yards up to 80 for a WR, TE

Yards/5 for yards over 80 for a WR, TE

b) Total passing and receiving yards include receiving yards and Offensive/ Defensive Pass Interference yardage assessed.
Very interesting stuff there. I like it. Does Sportsline support tiered scoring?

We went to a point per catch to make it a more level playing field between RB's and WR's in a 12 team league.  It makes the draft different.
Balanced scoring is great. It's tough to change a scoring system if you already have keepers, but it should be considered if your league is overly RB-heavy. My leagues average starter points are 13.8 for QBs, 14.7 for RBs, and 13.0 for WRs. We start 2/2/3. That kind of balance leaves the door open for different strategies like stud WR or stud QB.
PPR is already on the table, and it figures to get due consideration in our league this offseason.

Team QBs.For example, instead of drafting and starting Peyton Manning, you can draft and start "QB Indy". Then, if Manning gets hurt after 3 snaps, your week is not lost, because you get all points scored by his backup. If your team is resting its QB in week 16, you still have a viable option in the fantasy superbowl. This system also gets bonus "coolness" points for Tecmo SuperBowl reference.I don't like this system for Team RBs, though, because that eliminates all the fun of trying to guess who is going to get all the success in a committee system. It should also go without saying that this system is a bad idea for WRs, too.

We went to a point per catch to make it a more level playing field between RB's and WR's in a 12 team league.  It makes the draft different.
PPR is already on the table, and it figures to get due consideration in our league this offseason.
Weigh the PPR away from RBs to encourage other positions. Here is an example:RBs - 0 ppr

WRs - 0.5 ppr

TEs - 1.0 ppr

This makes a top TE worth about as much as 10 RBs.

Emphatically? Why?
Well, if you want to go that far, why not just do all-play for every week of the regular season?Actually, I think that's probably the system that rewards the best teams most reliably, but I gather most on this board would reject it on the basis of parallelism with the NFL.
One of the reason I like double headers is you can get a 16 game regular season schedule that way. That also leaves a lot of weeks for a much more expanded playoffs than the NFL has. That way the top team(s) can earn multiple byes.The worst part of FF imo is each week of the regular season means to little while playoff games mean so much that you can dominate all year long and have one bad week in the first round and get bounced. I realize some people hate byes but I think it add a lot to the FF regular season.

Weigh the PPR away from RBs to encourage other positions. Here is an example:RBs - 0 ppr

WRs - 0.5 ppr

TEs - 1.0 ppr

That seems like overcompensation. I like PPR, but a reception is a reception.

WRs - 0.5 ppr

TEs - 1.0 ppr

Agreed. We do ppr across the board and it hasn't been a problem.TEs should be < RBs in any system

WRs - 0.5 ppr

TEs - 1.0 ppr

Agreed. We do ppr across the board and it hasn't been a problem.TEs should be < RBs in any system
I do not disagree. Just showing alternatives. Play in many leagues with many different scoring rules. Some people like to even the playing field. I prefer to hoard RBs ... another story all together. But, this system really helps strong receivers. The guys who are legit WR top 10 excel with this scoring because they are usually high catch guys.To each their own ... :shrug:

WRs - 0.5 ppr

TEs - 1.0 ppr

I do not disagree. Just showing alternatives. Play in many leagues with many different scoring rules. Some people like to even the playing field. I prefer to hoard RBs ... another story all together. But, this system really helps strong receivers. The guys who are legit WR top 10 excel with this scoring because they are usually high catch guys.To each their own ... :shrug:
Yeah I'm a huge fan of balanced scoring, and ppr by itself can do the trick. Earlier in this thread I mentioned my league's average starters are around 14 points for QBs, RBs, and WRs. That's based on a 2/2/3 system. We didn't need to reduce the RB receptions because only a few guys catch enough balls to really make an impact, and the top RB, Alexander, hardly made use of our ppr rule. As for TEs, they're just a bonus player, like Ks and Ds...every once in a while they'll blow up and win a game for you, but they're not your bread and butter.

Emphatically? Why?
I haven't read past this post to see if someone else mentioned it, but go to a 16 week straight up H2H league with no playoffs. The best teams for an entire season win the money. We also use the CBSSportsline site so there is a pickem contest where you pick the winners for each week among your FF teams. We payout for that, plus we do a small payout for High Score of the week for weeks 7-16. Week 17 is a free for all, closest to 50 points for some money. Just a few ideas to freshen up your league. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread