What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looting in Missouri after cops shoot 18 year old (11 Viewers)

Doc, I'll try to answer your question. There are many reasons why more blacks don't move out of poor, black neighborhoods:

1. Most of them that live in these neighborhoods do not earn enough to be able to afford to live anywhere else.

2. Of those that can afford it, many of the ones who choose to stay feel comfortable in their neighborhoods, close friends, and a sense of loyalty.

3. Many African-Americans feel a sense of hostility or unwelcome in non black areas.

4. There are lots of historical reasons that these neighborhoods developed in the first place, having to do with Jim Crow, segregation, the jobs in the north that began with World War II, the "white flight" to the suburbs, and more.

Does this answer your question? Or do you have another point to make here?

Wow! Insane scene right now.
That is crazy--never seen the sound gun used on people before. And the cops are just unloading on peaceful citizens with rubber bullets and tear gas like mad. unbelievable. But that isnt live, it is from a little earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently live reports and cameras are not being allowed in Ferguson. They have told news trucks to leave etc. Crazy stuff.
Better shut down social media too.
This is what they did in Turkey after they got caught planning to attack their own country and blame it on Syria. It would be pretty hard to do anything like this until they start requiring kill switches in all of our phones.

Again, follow @jonswaine, guy has been tweeting great updates. Cops went into a mcdonalds and removed everybody. Arrested 2 reporters for not leaving fast enough.

If there are any deaths tonight they may take a while to come out if there is a media blackout.

From the looks of the few videos I have seen it looks line there are quite a few people with cameras. It looks like there are a bunch of white tourist hoping to catch the next viral video.

Apparently live reports and cameras are not being allowed in Ferguson. They have told news trucks to leave etc. Crazy stuff.
Whoever's giving the orders here needs to be thrown in jail.
:yes:

From LATimes

Wesley Lowery of the Washington Post and Ryan J. Reilly of the Huffington Post were taken into custody in a McDonald's restaurant near a demonstration.

The action appeared to catch Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson by surprise.

"Oh, God," he told the Los Angeles Times when he learned what had happened. Then Jackson called the St. Louis County Police Department, which was heading the command Wednesday night.

“I told them to release them,” Jackson told The Times.

Lowery and Reilly were set free shortly thereafter. The chief said his staff had been unaware of the arrests until notified by a reporter.
link

Sounds like cops might be making decisions on their own.

From LATimes

Wesley Lowery of the Washington Post and Ryan J. Reilly of the Huffington Post were taken into custody in a McDonald's restaurant near a demonstration.

"Oh, God," he told the Los Angeles Times when he learned what had happened. Then Jackson called the St. Louis County Police Department, which was heading the command Wednesday night.

“I told them to release them,” Jackson told The Times.

Lowery and Reilly were set free shortly thereafter. The chief said his staff had been unaware of the arrests until notified by a reporter.
link

Cops are exactly who should be making all of the decisions.

Watched some cable news coverage of this. Man, that was painful. At least Fox has The Factor on so they can focus on real issues.

I have cop friends who said they are embarrassed and appalled as police officers by this dept`s actions

Better shut down social media too.
This is what they did in Turkey after they got caught planning to attack their own country and blame it on Syria. It would be pretty hard to do anything like this until they start requiring kill switches in all of our phones.
Yeah, was alluding to the similarities between other governments.

There are two ways I'd assume they could do. Jam the cell towers or DDOS social media sites. Obviously the latter would be a mistake as it impacts people nationwide who are more worried about ice challenges or some bull####.

From LATimes

I told them to release them, Jackson told The Times.

link

They slammed the reporter into a fountain drink station.

From LATimes

link

Well, he should have known he was only allowed one refill.

From LATimes

link

Cubed or crushed?

Hope this is not true:

@BenDoernberg: From the Justice for Mike Brown FB page: I heard that 2morrow its going down https://t.co/M3nuMgdMaw

"Justice for Mike Brown

41 minutes ago · Edited ·

I just got.word that this is the last day of peaceful protests. Everybody is getting tired of these bull#### ### police officers. I heard that 2morrow its going down that its going to get Violent and worse people bringing they guns out and fighting back at the police since they wanna shoot tear gas at innocent protesters I pray this is not true I will keep everybody updated

#‎JusticeForMike

132 Likes · 67 Comments"

If there is more violence and the police are incapable of controlling things (or if the police are themselves escalating the violence as has been charged by some), the governor needs to get involved, call out the National Guard, and enforce martial law. Once order has been restored, then there can be investigations and prosecutions of wrongdoers, be they police or private citizens. But no matter what, order has to come first.

Hope this is not true:

@BenDoernberg: From the Justice for Mike Brown FB page: I heard that 2morrow its going down https://t.co/M3nuMgdMaw

"Justice for Mike Brown

I just got.word that this is the last day of peaceful protests. Everybody is getting tired of these bull#### ### police officers. I heard that 2morrow its going down that its going to get Violent and worse people bringing they guns out and fighting back at the police since they wanna shoot tear gas at innocent protesters I pray this is not true I will keep everybody updated

#‎JusticeForMike

132 Likes · 67 Comments"
This is a weird situation all the way around. Beefed up cops against minorities with a grudge. The citizens aren't doing themselves any favors by looting and robbing and the cops aren't helping themselves by slamming national media into soda fountains.

Watching conservatives and conspiracy theorists is the funniest part of this. They in general don't want to be on the side of the black community OR the "police state", so they rant and rave, blame Obama and struggle to make sense.

If there is more violence and the police are incapable of controlling things (or if the police are themselves escalating the violence as has been charged by some), the governor needs to get involved, call out the National Guard, and enforce martial law. Once order has been restored, then there can be investigations and prosecutions of wrongdoers, be they police or private citizens. But no matter what, order has to come first.
The Gov canceled his appearance at the fair to show up tomorrow, so we're probably good.

Hey, maybe the President could weigh in...

Tremendous article. Thanks for the link.
What a "great" picture, this will do more wonders for our world rep.

The United States of America is not for black people.
To ascribe this entirely to contempt for black men is to miss an essential variable, thougha very real, American fear of them. Theyweare inexplicably seen as a millions-strong army of potential killers, capable and cold enough that any single one could be a threat to a trained police officer in a bulletproof vest.
Come on.
I understand why you might think that's overdramatic. But on the other hand can you come up with any other reasonable explanation as to why we tolerate white people walking around Wal-Marts with assault weapons while a black man gets gunned down for picking up a toy gun that was actually for sale in the store? Do you honestly think that if two black guys walked into a Chipotle with assault weapons they would have been greeted the same way as the white guys pictured in that link? Those are the examples used to support the statement that you edited out of the cut and paste above.
Can start with this data from "color of crime":"When Blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly three times more likely than non-Blacks to use a gun"

http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime

Can't speak to veracity of the study but it does reflect a common perception (and possibly truth?) that a black man openly possessing a firearm is very likely to be committing or about to commit a crime. A white man openly possessing a firearm is far more likely to be using that weapon for sport or self defense.

Assuming this data is true: If black people wish to stop being perceived in this manner, they would be wise to stop perpetuating it via high rates of gun crime.

This does NOT factor in random spree shootings (tend to be white males), though they are blips on the radar compared to overall gun crime.

THIS IS NOT intended to justify excessive force by police. It's bull#### and the officers need to be held accountable. I was merely addressing the pie in the sky tone of the article.
The bolded enforces the worst kind of racial stereotypes.
If it's not based on fact I agree 100pct. I don't have the data in front of me to verify or not.
You never have any facts though, that's kind of the problem with just about all your posts. :lmao:

Hope this is not true:

"Justice for Mike Brown

#‎JusticeForMike

132 Likes · 67 Comments"
This is a weird situation all the way around. Beefed up cops against minorities with a grudge. The citizens aren't doing themselves any favors by looting and robbing and the cops aren't helping themselves by slamming national media into soda fountains.

Watching conservatives and conspiracy theorists is the funniest part of this. They in general don't want to be on the side of the black community OR the "police state", so they rant and rave, blame Obama and struggle to make sense.
"The citizens" arent "looting and robbing". A few opportunistic criminals are doing that. The citizens are peacefully protesting in the streets and getting gassed, and shot with wooden and rubber bullets.

The Ferguson and St Louis police department are really screwing up very badly and escalating this far beyond anything that needed to happen.

Hope this is not true:

"Justice for Mike Brown

#‎JusticeForMike

132 Likes · 67 Comments"

Cliven Bundy Ranch = Patriots

Ferguson Protesters = Thugs

The Gov canceled his appearance at the fair to show up tomorrow, so we're probably good.

Obama can't ever do anything right when it comes to racial issues. When he stays out of it, he's criticized by the black community and liberals, and the implication is that he is cowardly. When he offers his opinion, conservatives rush to attack him (and among conservatives I know personally, when they talk about Obama the thing that always seems to outrage them most are his comments regarding racial issues such as Trayvon Martin- more than Obamacare even. It burns them up.)

Hope this is not true:

"Justice for Mike Brown

#‎JusticeForMike

132 Likes · 67 Comments"

Not a good analogy. I have no love for the Cliven Bundy idiots, but what exactly have they done? They carry guns and talk tough, but they haven't rioted or looted anything.

dude...he`s on vaca man....enjoying some drinks and vinyard beach sand...aint nobody got time fo that !!!

Obama can't ever do anything right when it comes to racial issues. When he stays out of it, he's criticized by the black community and liberals, and the implication is that he is cowardly. When he offers his opinion, conservatives rush to attack him (and among conservatives I know personally, when they talk about Obama the thing that always seems to outrage them most are his comments regarding racial issues such as Trayvon Martin- more than Obamacare even. It burns them up.)
You're right, these are all great reasons not to lead.

I think the #### that's going down in Ferguson tonight is going to end up being much bigger than anyone knows today.
trying not to jump to conclusions, but based on what I've been reading the last few days I'm getting the same feeling. Police are cited as the problem by the community and they are doing what they can to support that narrative. Anyone see what the police chiefs wife allegedly posted on Facebook? Ignorant stuff.
Didn't see. What was it?

Hope this is not true:

"Justice for Mike Brown

#‎JusticeForMike

132 Likes · 67 Comments"

Not a good analogy. I have no love for the Cliven Bundy idiots, but what exactly have they done? They carry guns and talk tough, but they haven't rioted or looted anything.
Are you joking? What have the Bundy idiots done? Far worse than anyone in Ferguson has--they repeatedly trained their assault weapons on law enforcement officers in face to face standoffs with the express threat that they were willing to use them.

Let me see if I understand how your mind works: In Ferguson, some dumb opportunistic criminals did some property crimes and that is worse than literally pointing loaded assault weapons at law enforcement officers in broad daylight. Fascinating.

If the protestors in Ferguson did what the Bundy idiots did then there would dozens and dozens of dead black Americans.

You call me a one trick pony...I submit that you, too, have one trick: dumb.

I didn't say that. But like Zimmerman-Martin, this is a murky situation. Right now we really don't know anything. President Obama should call for calm, threaten the use of troops to restore order if necessary, and promise federal investigations into how this started and what really happened. And that's all.

Hope this is not true:

"Justice for Mike Brown

#‎JusticeForMike

132 Likes · 67 Comments"
This is a weird situation all the way around. Beefed up cops against minorities with a grudge. The citizens aren't doing themselves any favors by looting and robbing and the cops aren't helping themselves by slamming national media into soda fountains.Watching conservatives and conspiracy theorists is the funniest part of this. They in general don't want to be on the side of the black community OR the "police state", so they rant and rave, blame Obama and struggle to make sense.
"The citizens" arent "looting and robbing". A few opportunistic criminals are doing that. The citizens are peacefully protesting in the streets and getting gassed, and shot with wooden and rubber bullets.

The Ferguson and St Louis police department are really screwing up very badly and escalating this far beyond anything that needed to happen.
It only takes a few rotten apples on both sides. Cops arresting journalists spreads like wildfire and infuriates the protesters. Similarly when one protester does something wrong, it sparks a huge reaction by the police force.

Hope this is not true:

"Justice for Mike Brown

#‎JusticeForMike

132 Likes · 67 Comments"

I was showing the difference in how they are portrayed

The Bundy Patriots have looted BLM land and walked around with some pretty heavy weapons - if they were black I'm sure they would be portrayed as the second coming of the Black Panthers and they would have been gassed and shot

So far the Ferguson Thugs have no guns - and yet it is a war zone

I didn't say that. But like Zimmerman-Martin, this is a murky situation. Right now we really don't know anything. President Obama should call for calm, threaten the use of troops to restore order if necessary, and promise federal investigations into how this started and what really happened. And that's all.
What is murky about what is going on in Ferguson tonight?

Hope this is not true:

"Justice for Mike Brown

#‎JusticeForMike

132 Likes · 67 Comments"

Are you joking? What have the Bundy idiots done? Far worse than anyone in Ferguson has--they repeatedly trained their assault weapons on law enforcement officers in face to face standoffs with the express threat that they were willing to use them.

Let me see if I understand how your mind works: In Ferguson, some dumb opportunistic criminals did some property crimes and that is worse than literally pointing loaded assault weapons at law enforcement officers in broad daylight. Fascinating.

If the protestors in Ferguson did what the Bundy idiots did then there would dozens and dozens of dead black Americans.

:lol: I don't think the Bundy idiots would ever have fired their weapons. What's dumb is that somehow you took from comments the idea that I'm in any way sympathetic to them, or think that the Ferguson protestors are worse somehow. It's just a poor analogy.

What is murky about what is going on in Ferguson tonight?
Right now? Everything. I have no idea what's happening right now. Are the police responding to violence, or are they engaging in it themselves? Who knows? We'll know more soon I suppose, but I'm betting it will still be murky.

Hope this is not true:

"Justice for Mike Brown

#‎JusticeForMike

132 Likes · 67 Comments"

:lol: I don't think the Bundy idiots would ever have fired their weapons. What's dumb is that somehow you took from comments the idea that I'm in any way sympathetic to them, or think that the Ferguson protestors are worse somehow. It's just a poor analogy.
So care to speculate if the Ferguson protesters showed up with guns - without the intent to fire them - what would happen?

I think the #### that's going down in Ferguson tonight is going to end up being much bigger than anyone knows today.
trying not to jump to conclusions, but based on what I've been reading the last few days I'm getting the same feeling. Police are cited as the problem by the community and they are doing what they can to support that narrative. Anyone see what the police chiefs wife allegedly posted on Facebook? Ignorant stuff.
Didn't see. What was it?
they are feral and violent. They murder each other. They murder their unborn babies. They hate white people. They hate police officers and murder some of them, even black ones. They destroy neighbors and entire cities with their garbage and drugs. They live their lives off hard earned tax dollars of Americans. Yet somehow they are victims. What insanity is that?Have only seen it a couple of places, so hesitate to confirm this but it seems legit. If so it really paints a picture of the problems that led to all this. This isn't about Michael Brown. He was just the straw that broke the camels back.

Hope this is not true:

"Justice for Mike Brown

#‎JusticeForMike

132 Likes · 67 Comments"

I didnt say or imply that you were sympathetic to the Bundy idiots, although you clearly think that the people in Ferguson are worse than the "Bundy idiots" because you said so. You are so dumb you dont even understand the point of the post you commented on or my point in noting how stupid your post was. It is all going right over your head, Tim. You should stop posting now.

This article is about you, Tim.

Hope this is not true:

"Justice for Mike Brown

#‎JusticeForMike

132 Likes · 67 Comments"

So care to speculate if the Ferguson protesters showed up with guns - without the intent to fire them - what would happen?
Sure. They'd likely be shot. The authorities treat blacks differently, and worse. I've stated that several times in this forum, and in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread