What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looting in Missouri after cops shoot 18 year old (1 Viewer)

So I know the know the police chief can't keep his foot out of his mouth, but the actions of some of the protesters are inexcusable at this point.

I find it absolutely humorous that there are numerous quotes in the media today from the residents there complaining that the police aren't stopping the looting whereas earlier in the week the police were criticized for being out in a show of force. So at this point, what can they do?
stop killing black people that have hands up.

Oscar Grant. Shot & killed while handcuffed. Sitting down. Hands behind back.

Eric Garner. Choked to death & killed by police on YouTube for the world to see. Unarmed.

Wendell Allen. Unarmed high school basketball star in N.O. Shot & killed. Police admit coverup.

Can we treat a black guy jaywalking with stolen cigars the same way we treat a white guy shooting a congresswomen, or a white guy shooting up a theater, or a white guy blowing up a building, or a white guy eating people.
Goes back to the old story of STOP COMMITTING CRIMES and chances are you wont have any run ins with the law. Its worked for me for 40 plus years.....
Or treat black people jay walking the same we treat Jeffrey Dahmer, timothy mcveigh, James Holmes, or Jared Loughner.
This kid was anything but an innocent jay walker, stop....
when the cop engaged it was for jay walking the PD had no idea that it was related to the robbery.
If you believe he was shot numerous times just for jay walking I have a fantasy football team to sell you..... :mellow:

So I know the know the police chief can't keep his foot out of his mouth, but the actions of some of the protesters are inexcusable at this point.

I find it absolutely humorous that there are numerous quotes in the media today from the residents there complaining that the police aren't stopping the looting whereas earlier in the week the police were criticized for being out in a show of force. So at this point, what can they do?
stop killing black people that have hands up.

Oscar Grant. Shot & killed while handcuffed. Sitting down. Hands behind back.

Eric Garner. Choked to death & killed by police on YouTube for the world to see. Unarmed.

Wendell Allen. Unarmed high school basketball star in N.O. Shot & killed. Police admit coverup.

Can we treat a black guy jaywalking with stolen cigars the same way we treat a white guy shooting a congresswomen, or a white guy shooting up a theater, or a white guy blowing up a building, or a white guy eating people.
Goes back to the old story of STOP COMMITTING CRIMES and chances are you wont have any run ins with the law. Its worked for me for 40 plus years.....
Or treat black people jay walking the same we treat Jeffrey Dahmer, timothy mcveigh, James Holmes, or Jared Loughner.
This kid was anything but an innocent jay walker, stop....
when the cop engaged it was for jay walking the PD had no idea that it was related to the robbery.
We don't actually know that. The PD hasn't been very clear on what was known and when. I suspect the incident report will help clear that up.

Didn't the PD admit that the officer didn't even know about the robbery when they stopped Michael Brown? Sounds like a clear case of character assassination.

Going back to the Supreme Court cases I cited earlier, it said an officer has the right to shoot a fleeing suspect if he has reasonable basis to believe the suspect was guilty of a felony.

Is shooting a cop a felony?

How about assault & battery of a police officer?

If either one of those is a potential felony, then according to the Supreme Court, the officer had the right to shoot to avoid letting him get away.
When was the cop shot?And simple assault on an officer is a misdemeanor in Missouri.
Then there's this:
Assault of a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer in the second degree, definition, penalty.

565.082. 1. A person commits the crime of assault of a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer in the second degree if such person:

(1) Knowingly causes or attempts to cause physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer by means of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument;

(2) Knowingly causes or attempts to cause physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer by means other than a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument;

(3) Recklessly causes serious physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer; or

(4) While in an intoxicated condition or under the influence of controlled substances or drugs, operates a motor vehicle or vessel in this state and when so operating, acts with criminal negligence to cause physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer;

(5) Acts with criminal negligence to cause physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer by means of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument;

(6) Purposely or recklessly places a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer in apprehension of immediate serious physical injury; or

(7) Acts with criminal negligence to create a substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer.

2. As used in this section, "emergency personnel" means any paid or volunteer firefighter, emergency room or trauma center personnel, or emergency medical technician as defined in subdivisions (15), (16), (17), and (18) of section 190.100.

3. As used in this section the term "corrections officer" includes any jailer or corrections officer of the state or any political subdivision of the state.

4. When used in this section, the terms "highway worker", "construction zone", or "work zone" shall have the same meaning as such terms are defined in section 304.580.

5. As used in this section, the term "utility worker" means any employee while in performance of their job duties, including any person employed under contract of a utility that provides gas, heat, electricity, water, steam, telecommunications services, or sewer services, whether privately, municipally, or cooperatively owned.

6. As used in this section, the term "cable worker" means any employee, including any person employed under contract of a cable operator, as such term is defined in section 67.2677.

7. Assault of a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer in the second degree is a class B felony unless committed pursuant to subdivision (2), (5), (6), or (7) of subsection 1 of this section in which case it is a class C felony. For any violation of subdivision (1), (3), or (4) of subsection 1 of this section, the defendant must serve mandatory jail time as part of his or her sentence.
Thanks, new statute. Again, when was the cop shot? And what "serious physical injury" was caused to the cop?
The cop's gun was definitely discharged inside the car. We don't know who was responsible for that. I heard early reports the perp was trying to get control of the gun. If he did indeed get enough control of the gun to cause it to discharge, we can probably add another felony on top of that. And there were early reports the cop was beat about the face.

So I find it entirely plausible that the officer believed there was probable cause the suspect had committed a felony.

After that, it becomes a question of department policy and when use of lethal force is authorized.

Also, had the officer not shot the suspect, then had the suspect gone to commit more violent acts in the community, the community would probably be questioning why the suspect was not apprehended when he assaulted the cop.

Biggest lesson here may be to the police force as a whole to hire more minority officers, even if it means hiring less qualified officers. Then that opens another can of worms when more qualified whites get passed over because it's more important to hire minority candidates.
I just want to know if this means the cops can shoot Rick Perry.
Objection. Asked and answered.

Didn't the PD admit that the officer didn't even know about the robbery when they stopped Michael Brown? Sounds like a clear case of character assassination.
He didn't know, but doesn't the video evidence, and evidence on Brown indicate he did rob the store? I'm trying to catch up...

Well now it looks like the DOJ told Feguson Chief not to release that video. And he did it anyway. What a ####tard.
Well ofcourse the crooked/corrupt DOJ did. That's not suprising.....
lol. Peenies framing of this story continues to change. Just keep the picture focused on the dead black guy. You'll feel better.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/sean-hannity-unable-to-stop-smiling-while-talking,28827/
lol Ahhhhhhn city palmer!!

Question, is there any legal recourse the shop owner can take over the looting that happened last night? The SWAT just stood across the street, never moved in and made 0 arrests....that's ####ed up on every level. If it was my shop I'd have some serious issues with the police right now.

Question, is there any legal recourse the shop owner can take over the looting that happened last night? The SWAT just stood across the street, never moved in and made 0 arrests....that's ####ed up on every level. If it was my shop I'd have some serious issues with the police right now.
We had a little situation down here called Katrina you may have heard of. In some places cops not only stood by and allowed looting (talking personal fun stuff here, not emergency supplies like water) and not only that some cops actually participated. Some cops actually took things like cars, one cop took a Caddy all the way to Houston and never came back. I think maybe 2-3 cops were actually caught on film doing that, they were eventually let go several years later. Nobody ever had any sort of recovery through the courts or anything though.

He didn't know, but doesn't the video evidence, and evidence on Brown indicate he did rob the store? I'm trying to catch up...
Like all big crimes it's not just about the facts it's about the narrative. Initially the story was that this involved an innocent black teen walking home who was attacked by a white cop without provocation. How could this cop do such a thing? Well, now the narrative has changed slightly. This wasn't an innocent teen. This was a guy who stole and intimidated people who confronted him. Whether or not the cop knew this guy had just robbed someone, the confrontation between the 2 of them will be looked at differently.

Slapdash said:
dickey moe said:
Slapdash said:
Great. Now it is time for everyone to come out of the woodwork and say he deserved to die because he was a criminal and probably was getting high. Just like Trayvon.
I don't think many people are saying that, but even as tgunz admitted, it appears with a possible theft involved, the context has changed at least somewhat. It's not as simple as "a rogue cop had it out for this kid."
Give it time for the Carolina Hustlers and Jojos of the world to show up.

I don't think the context changes at all. It is still this: Cop shoots a defenseless kid from 30 yards away.
That big kid didn't look too defenseless pushing that quickie mart guy around on the video.... :mellow:
Certainly didn't seem like the nice young man his mother and the community have been taking about all week.Honestly it's a shame he wasn't, because this just inflamed the race issues even more. But I guess odds are that the straight A student who volunteers at the homeless shelter on weekends doesn't seem to find his way into these kinds of situations much.
Glad you and Peens have it all figured out.
:goodposting:
Doesn't take a genius to figure the kind of cat the cop was dealing with after watching that video.....
Good thing he shot him several times then, amirite?
My money was on if not today then tomorrow. Kids like that don't last long. They either get killed or in jail.
Dickey Moe: See what I mean?
Peens is Peens. He's in racial threads more than Leave it to Beavahhh reruns.

I already said that my wife is a rural carrier. I have an interest in what happens, especially when it comes to union contracts. If you would have dug a little deeper, you would have found a post of mine on that website that states my wife works for the Post Office. Not very good police work there Columbo.

As far as chasing people, you should do some more research. I would love to find a way to make a bet. If you had any money, I'd take everything you have. Not only did we apprehend shoplifters, but we also used handcuffs on shoplifters at JCPenney's. I'm sure you'll call that BS too. I also know people at other retail stores here in town and they are still making apprehensions. Some places have made a change to diversion, but not all.

You should probably quit while you're behind.
My wife worked in LP at both Target and BB. They were strictly forbidden to try and apprehend a shoplifter. They were allowed to approach them, and ask them, but not physically apprehend them. This goes back to the 90's. Not sure when you worked in LP, but PitBull is spot on with what he said.
I already agreed that Target no longer apprehends shoplifters. They changed their rules sometime in the mid-90's after I left. BB puts their LP at the front desk, they are more of a door greeter than loss prevention. I know there are stores that don't chase or physically apprehend shoplifters any longer. But there are stores that still do. Usually the policy and procedures state they can pursue if the suspect can be apprehended in a quick and safe manner, and within a reasonable distance.

If retail stores no longer apprehend shoplifters, then how are people being charged with shoplifting?

No physical altercation in this video. Doesn't look like they are using handcuffs either.

Canada, and questionable whether those are actually in house LP guys or Undercover Cops. I'm betting on the latter.

No need to worry about stupid criminals that have no regards for LP personnel.

Oh look, Canada Again! And, I guarantee if that LP person was employed by a large company he isn't anymore.

Here is another

Cops

Who would stab a Loss Prevention Agent?

Pretty sure that LP guy doesn't have a job after that one.
Nobody said they aren't apprehending. I'm saying you are full of #### in general about the risk of your job, or that you are chasing and scuffling with criminals so many times as to need a career change. It ain't happening. You are apprehending people a lot. People who throw their arms up and quit as soon as you meet them at the front door. You aren't apprehending people who put up any kind of fight, because you would lose your job. Please refer to my first post.
Yep. Most people will drop what they have if you confront them, and threaten to call the police. If they take off running out the door, you let them go. Try to get a license plate number. They're already on tape. Slap their photo in the local crimestoppers database, or show it on the news. The police will find them. We've all seen the videos of people trying to be parking lot heroes. When that happens, the employee is usually fired like Pitbull said.

There was no robbery. It would be a shoplifting charge. Misdemeanor theft.
You don't need a JD. Wiki is your friend:

"Robbery is the crime of taking or attempting to take something of value by force or threat of force or by putting the victim in fear."

He robbed that store.

A little surprised some shop owners haven't taken to defending their stors with guns given the lack of effective police help. (Or maybe they have).

Also, a good many of these stores being looted are black owned.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little surprised some shop owners haven't taken to defending their stors with guns given the lack of effective police help. (Or maybe they have).

They mentioned on CNN some Meat Market store the owner and family were standing outside with rifles and handguns to protect their own store.

They mentioned on CNN some Meat Market store the owner and family were standing outside with rifles and handguns to protect their own store.
Photo of that here:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeSells/status/500593969861242881/photo/1

"Robbery is the crime of taking or attempting to take something of value by force or threat of force or by putting the victim in fear."

He robbed that store.
The victim handed him the cigars. Watch the video. He did not take or attempt to take anything by force or with threat of force. He asked the guy for the cigars and the guy handed them over. Through the glass. Only when he was leaving without paying and the shopkeep attempted to stop him did he attempt to put the victim in fear.

Even a Public Defender could get the guy off with theft and assault mideamenors. I'm not saying the DA wouldn't start out at robbery, but it would be pled down.

He robbed that store.
The victim handed him the cigars. Watch the video. He did not take or attempt to take anything by force or with threat of force. He asked the guy for the cigars and the guy handed them over. Through the glass. Only when he was leaving without paying and the shopkeep attempted to stop him did he attempt to put the victim in fear.

Even a Public Defender could get the guy off with theft and assault mideamenors. I'm not saying the DA wouldn't start out at robbery, but it would be pled down.
:lmao:

He robbed that store.

Which law school did you attend?

He robbed that store.

Uh you're basically separating the transaction from the act there. I don't think there's a DA in the world who would be scared to confront your argument at trial. Any jury seeing that video would feel very sympathetic to the greatly outmatched shop owner.

The police chief said that's not why the officer pulled them over, but later stated that he knew about the robbery and description. I think we have to wait for the report to get a clear picture. The chief is kind of an idiot .

Photo of that here:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeSells/status/500593969861242881/photo/1
Racially integrated group there no less.

If this keeps up I'd say it's time for property owners to start exercising their 2nd Amendment rights. As noted above they won't be getting compensation for all this, though maybe insurance coverage will kick in, so there's that.

He robbed that store.

Which law school did you attend?
White Guilt U? :lmao:

:lmao:
Ok Christo, I suppose the DA could have trumped up a felony robbery charge, but he'd never be convicted of a felony. Not even with a Public Pretender.
I always thought shoplifting was something one did surreptitously not brazenly in front of the store owner. I thought shoplifting was sneaking items out of the store through slight of hand. In this instance the robber made no attempt to conceal the item. He took it, looked right at the store owner, shoved the man half his size aside, and when the man objected he came back towards him, threw out his chest in a challenge, and then strolled out of the store. That is a strong arm robbery. The item was taken by force. If one were to have a P.D. try to plead it down a Prosecutor might reduce it to shoplifting or misdemeanor theft with a misdemeanor battery charge as well. I emphasize might.

I am going to submit that my opinion on this matter carries some weight given my profession and experience.

The scary thing about that is once word gets out that store owners are defending their property with firearms, looters might start coming armed as well, and then all hell will truly break loose. :no:

So yesterday morning the police chief felt it was smart to release the incident report and video from the store robbery but not the incident report from the shooting. Still no incident report release from the shooting.
Is this still the case?

If not, have to file a public records lawsuit, hopefully that's been done.

The scary thing about that is once word gets out that store owners are defending their property with firearms, looters might start coming armed as well, and then all hell will truly break loose. :no:
Well that's where law enforcement comes in, right? Keeps us all from taking the law into our own hands?

Well that's where law enforcement comes in, right? Keeps us all from taking the law into our own hands?
You would hope so, but when chaos break out, I fear others getting swept up in it and becoming more than just peaceful protesters (even if that was their intention going in).

Target practice on looter day....

So yesterday morning the police chief felt it was smart to release the incident report and video from the store robbery but not the incident report from the shooting. Still no incident report release from the shooting.
Is this still the case?

I don't think the local police have control over that case anymore. It may not be their call to release any information.

At least two shops defended themselves with guns. Likely more:

Nobody is robbing St. Louis Ink Tattoo Studio anytime soon. Or County Guns, for that matter.

The two north-county businesses share a storefront in a Florissant strip mall less than ten minute drive from the epicenter of last night's riots in Ferguson. After nightfall, what began as a community's peaceful demonstration against the Ferguson Police Department's shooting of unarmed 18-year-old Michael Brown turned increasingly violent. Crowds plundered a QuikTrip and burned it to the ground, and local news began reporting brazen raids on other stores in the area.

After hearing of the roving bands of looters, Mike Gutierrez knew he had to protect his tattoo shop. He brought a posse with him, including Adam Weinstein, owner of County Guns, who was acutely worried about criminals getting their hands on his merchandise.

"We didn't want them coming in here and then running around with a bunch of free guns," Weinstein told Daily RFT when we arrive at the store around 12:30 a.m. this morning. Weinstein was outfitted with an assault rifle, pistol and tactical vest. Gutierrez cradled his own rifle in his hands.

At least two shops defended themselves with guns. Likely more:

Nobody is robbing St. Louis Ink Tattoo Studio anytime soon. Or County Guns, for that matter.

The two north-county businesses share a storefront in a Florissant strip mall less than ten minute drive from the epicenter of last night's riots in Ferguson. After nightfall, what began as a community's peaceful demonstration against the Ferguson Police Department's shooting of unarmed 18-year-old Michael Brown turned increasingly violent. Crowds plundered a QuikTrip and burned it to the ground, and local news began reporting brazen raids on other stores in the area.

After hearing of the roving bands of looters, Mike Gutierrez knew he had to protect his tattoo shop. He brought a posse with him, including Adam Weinstein, owner of County Guns, who was acutely worried about criminals getting their hands on his merchandise.

"We didn't want them coming in here and then running around with a bunch of free guns," Weinstein told Daily RFT when we arrive at the store around 12:30 a.m. this morning. Weinstein was outfitted with an assault rifle, pistol and tactical vest. Gutierrez cradled his own rifle in his hands.
Good for them! :cool:

Is this still the case?

I don't think the local police have control over that case anymore. It may not be their call to release any information.
I don't think it matters if the DOJ has control, that's a public record under state law, the DOJ has no more right to withhold than the local PD.

Is this still the case?

I don't think it matters if the DOJ has control, that's a public record under state law, the DOJ has no more right to withhold than the local PD.
I'm saying that's why the local police may have released the robbery incident report and not the shooting one.

Is this still the case?

I'm saying that's why the local police may have released the robbery incident report and not the shooting one.
Huh, had not thought of that.

Is this still the case?

No incident report yet, but it is hilarious that people in here are talking about one like it will clear things up--it will essentially be the officer's first brief in his defense case.

Many FOIA lawsuits were filed days ago for tons of stuff but the only thing released so far is the video and incident of the store report which the police chief said he HAD to release because so many media were demanding it (the media of course all responded: "what video of a store robbery? We werent asking for that."). Nothing coming out but officer name and stuff that criminalizes Brown so far.

Is this still the case?

No incident report yet, but it is hilarious that people in here are talking about one like it will clear things up--it will essentially be the officer's first brief in his defense case.

Many FOIA lawsuits were filed days ago for tons of stuff but the only thing released so far is the video and incident of the store report which the police chief said he HAD to release because so many media were demanding it (the media of course all responded: "what video of a store robbery? We werent asking for that."). Nothing coming out but officer name and stuff that criminalizes Brown so far.
I agree. It's undeniably public record and needs to be released. One thing that could come out of it is whether there's any mention of the officer suspecting Brown for the robbery, it may not. I'd also be really curious about when and how it was finalized.

Users who are viewing this thread