What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looting in Missouri after cops shoot 18 year old (1 Viewer)

timschochet said:
matttyl said:
Newest witness Michael Brady on anderson cooper

'I see the officer get out of the car and immediately start shooting'

Michael Brady is stepping forward with a new account of Michael Brown's final moments. He was inside his apartment when he first heard Brown's altercation with Officer Darren WIlson, then he saw it out the window. Brady says he ran outside after the first shots were fired. He tells Anderson that's when the next round of shooting began.

Michael Brady is offering just one of a growing number of sometimes conflicting accounts of what happened in the moments before Michael Brown lost his life. Randi Kaye takes a closer look.
Yeah, that's what I'd do if I heard gunshots outside my place. I'd run right out there. And it only took 11 days for that dude to concoct that story...errrrr report what he saw.
And here we have a prime example. Jim11, who wants the cops to be exonerated, believes every witness on his "side" as completely honest, while every witness on the side of the protestors as dishonest. In this regard, Jim is no different from the protestors. Both sides have made up their minds long since.
Actually, the way I read it, this account in no way contradicts the officer's account (as I understand it). He's only stating what shots he heard, he's got no idea what shots struck Brown and which didn't. He's saying there was an "altercation", one loud enough to get his attention while in his apartment. That's what the cop's story is as well. Then some shots (no number given) were fired - we don't know if those struck Brown or not. We also don't know if those where the shots fired when there was a struggle for the gun (if there was one). Then the guy ran outside to see better (like Jim, I'm not buying that part, but whatever) when more shots were fired - and no one is disputing that many shots were fired during the entire situation. He didn't say anything about if Brown was heading toward Wilson or not when those final shots were fired, or if he had his hands up, or whatever.
we need to stop calling it "the officer's account". Wilson has not given an account. There are only unnamed sources and a woman who claims to be a friend of Wilson's wife who called a radio show. And this is the stuff being eaten up by some conservatives who can't tolerate the idea that the protesters might be right to protest.
The people are not protesting they are looting, stealing and destroying private property, just like most of America would expect people like that to do.
1. So all of the protestors were looting and destroying private property?

2. Can you explain what you mean by "people like that"?
Looting people, hows that? :mellow:

More reasons why I was hesitant to believe Dorian Johnson's story (he's already made false statements to the police)....

http://www.abc17news.com/news/key-witness-in-ferguson-wanted-in-jefferson-city/27624066

22 year-old Dorian Johnson, the man who was walking with Michael Brown when he was shot, has a warrant out for his arrest in Jefferson City.

The warrant is for stealing and dates back to June 2011.

ABC 17 News looked into Johnson's past and found out he has also been charged with filing a false police report in the same year.

After cross referencing several records, ABC 17 News found the warrant, which is for Dorian Jordan Johnson, is actually the same person as Dorian Jarvis Johnson.

Johnson has told news organizations Brown was, "shot like and animal..."

You might remember, Johnson told reporters Brown was running away with his hands up.

A medical examiner's report was inconsistent with Johnson's story.
I'm not sure why ANY of that is relevant to THIS Case.... the guy is a witness to an execution.

What motivation would he possibly have to lie?
People keep bringing up past police incidents. Why is the past only relevant to what the cops have done?
It's not. Johnson has no credibility. The guy who livetweeted with pictures from his apartment, however, I am less dismissive of.
I don't know what this means.
A guy livetweeted watching the police shoot a guy who was giving up. And posted pictures to his twitter account five minutes after the shooting of the body lying in the street, with two officers standing over the body, about ten yards from a police car.

timschochet said:
Jim11 said:
Greggity said:
jon_mx said:
TheIronSheik said:
timschochet said:
jon_mx said:
It is amazing how cut and dry these stories start out to be where the white guy is clearly in the wrong and as the facts slowly come out perhaps there was justification to the act after all.
White people are so victimized in this country!
Jesus. You claim you hate when someone does this ####, yet you do it all of the time. It's Timpocrisies like this that bother people the most.
No kidding. Tim has the biggest hissy fit of FoxNews reports anything wrong, especially if it concerns his dear leader, out of some unfounded fear that rednecks will resort to violence. But Tim has no problem when His media gets stories completely wrong which leads to actual riots and violence. I can not see how anyone can take complete opposite positions with a straight face.
Tim must see a lot of the hated white people on cnn looting and rioting often it seems....
Remember when all those white people rioted & looted after OJ got off?
i think you should come out and just say that black people are savages. Why #### around with examples and hints?
Cause you would get banned? You cannot have a two way discussion on this site, there is only one view that has total immunity,
So in other words, you believe this, but you're scared to say it?
You apparently are new to the new PC world, welcome aboard stranger....

timschochet said:
matttyl said:

Michael Brady is stepping forward with a new account of Michael Brown's final moments. He was inside his apartment when he first heard Brown's altercation with Officer Darren WIlson, then he saw it out the window. Brady says he ran outside after the first shots were fired. He tells Anderson that's when the next round of shooting began.

Michael Brady is offering just one of a growing number of sometimes conflicting accounts of what happened in the moments before Michael Brown lost his life. Randi Kaye takes a closer look.
Yeah, that's what I'd do if I heard gunshots outside my place. I'd run right out there. And it only took 11 days for that dude to concoct that story...errrrr report what he saw.
And here we have a prime example. Jim11, who wants the cops to be exonerated, believes every witness on his "side" as completely honest, while every witness on the side of the protestors as dishonest. In this regard, Jim is no different from the protestors. Both sides have made up their minds long since.
Actually, the way I read it, this account in no way contradicts the officer's account (as I understand it). He's only stating what shots he heard, he's got no idea what shots struck Brown and which didn't. He's saying there was an "altercation", one loud enough to get his attention while in his apartment. That's what the cop's story is as well. Then some shots (no number given) were fired - we don't know if those struck Brown or not. We also don't know if those where the shots fired when there was a struggle for the gun (if there was one). Then the guy ran outside to see better (like Jim, I'm not buying that part, but whatever) when more shots were fired - and no one is disputing that many shots were fired during the entire situation. He didn't say anything about if Brown was heading toward Wilson or not when those final shots were fired, or if he had his hands up, or whatever.
we need to stop calling it "the officer's account". Wilson has not given an account. There are only unnamed sources and a woman who claims to be a friend of Wilson's wife who called a radio show. And this is the stuff being eaten up by some conservatives who can't tolerate the idea that the protesters might be right to protest.
The people are not protesting they are looting, stealing and destroying private property, just like most of America would expect people like that to do.
I sure hope this is a :fishing: . If not, I truly feel sorry for you.

In the end, I guess I'd have to admit that I'm a "dead kid that might not have had to have died" backer.

Not really into the status quo, I suppose.

If dead kids is the "way it works", maybe, just perhaps, we need to reevaluate things on every level.

I'm really not on the "people being shot to death in the streets" team on any level.
Big fan of ya GB, you know this.

I'm a "inform kids that aggressively approaching police with a weapon when they're telling you to drop said weapon results in dead kids" backer :)

I'd like to hear the people who keep saying white guilt over and over again to give me a definition of white guilt.

timschochet said:
matttyl said:

I sure hope this is a :fishing: . If not, I truly feel sorry for you.
its actually pretty tame for him.

Insanity: the indignation in response to inquiries being made when one human takes the life of another human.

Shouldn't questions be asked? Shouldn't society, as a whole,, figure out if this result could have been avoided?

I'd like to hear the people who keep saying white guilt over and over again to give me a definition of white guilt.
Its where the white man realizes that as a "race", he has mistreated the black man for so long and now the white man compensates to make amends.

Insanity: the indignation in response to inquiries being made when one human takes the life of another human.

Shouldn't questions be asked? Shouldn't society, as a whole,, figure out if this result could have been avoided?
Absolutely. Unfortunately, society as a whole has a hard time finding solutions and prefers to lay blame and use that blame to villify people without finding those solutions.

Getting mugged and/or shot because you don't want to look like a racist crossing the street while two young black men wearing gang colors walk by.

In the end, I guess I'd have to admit that I'm a "dead kid that might not have had to have died" backer.

If dead kids is the "way it works", maybe, just perhaps, we need to reevaluate things on every level.

I'm really not on the "people being shot to death in the streets" team on any level.

I'm a "inform kids that aggressively approaching police with a weapon when they're telling you to drop said weapon results in dead kids" backer :)
Agree. I don't think we've gotten there yet. In this case, at least.

But shouldn't we be asking, in a very serious way, if this could have been avoided?

Not sure where you're going here. If you're referring to the shooting of Brown then I think (assuming that Wilson didn't shoot him because he's a bigot) that is a one-time event which IMO isn't a factor relevant to society. If you're referring to the actions/reactions of blacks to what happened (or their perception of what happened), then I agree that questions should be asked and changes should be made.

Can we start reevaluating on the level of what the definition of a kid is?

He was 18 and a high school graduate. He can vote, he can die for our country, he was legally an adult. Somehow, someway, this country seems to want to give a people a pass on growing up and becoming productive members of this society.

He was 18 and a high school graduate. He can vote, he can die for our country, he was legally an adult. Somehow, someway, this country seems to want to give a people a pass on growing up and becoming productive members of this society.
Until we lower the drinking age again, this will continue for 18 year olds.

timschochet said:
matttyl said:

I just threw that in there for you Tim, cause I knew you would bite big time. Of course everyone knows I meant Black people, there did you get the answer you wanted to hear?

Sure

"Kid" as defined during Vietnam when everyone was crying about kids being drafted and dying for a senseless war. That definition of "kid" is sutiable.

timschochet said:
matttyl said:

I just threw that in there for you Tim, cause I knew you would bite big time. Of course everyone knows I meant Black people, there did you get the answer you wanted to hear?
His Politically correct meter is now pinging! He now wants you fired and you and your family killed....Or go attend some white guilt classes for reprogramming of your brain....

But shouldn't we be asking, in a very serious way, if this could have been avoided?
Unfortunately, until we know what happened, there's no way to know how to avoid it.

timschochet said:
Jim11 said:
Greggity said:
jon_mx said:
TheIronSheik said:
timschochet said:
jon_mx said:
It is amazing how cut and dry these stories start out to be where the white guy is clearly in the wrong and as the facts slowly come out perhaps there was justification to the act after all.
Jesus. You claim you hate when someone does this ####, yet you do it all of the time. It's Timpocrisies like this that bother people the most.
No kidding. Tim has the biggest hissy fit of FoxNews reports anything wrong, especially if it concerns his dear leader, out of some unfounded fear that rednecks will resort to violence. But Tim has no problem when His media gets stories completely wrong which leads to actual riots and violence. I can not see how anyone can take complete opposite positions with a straight face.
Tim must see a lot of the hated white people on cnn looting and rioting often it seems....
i think you should come out and just say that black people are savages. Why #### around with examples and hints?
Cause you would get banned? You cannot have a two way discussion on this site, there is only one view that has total immunity,
Why you trying to put your words and thoughts in my mouth?

timschochet said:
Jim11 said:
Greggity said:
jon_mx said:
TheIronSheik said:
timschochet said:
jon_mx said:
Why you trying to put your words and thoughts in my mouth?
you have nothing to worry about. There is no one that wants to put anything in your mouth.

So if he was in Canada, he'd be an adult? Stupid Canada. :hot:

So if he was in Canada, he'd be an adult? Stupid Canada. :hot:
Seriously. I know we can make this Canada's fault somehow.

I do hear ya.

As someone who has a LOT of friends in law enforcement... as someone who's friends with many of their wives/girlfriends... as someone who hears tons of stories about what these guys go through on a daily basis (particularly in a city like Memphis), I tend to encourage them to err on the side of caution out there to ensure that they will make it home to their women/kids.

While I think there is always room for improvement, if it's going to come down to a buddy who's willing to risk his life every day for #### pay in an effort to make my city better, or what is USUALLY some repeat criminal who's actions USUALLY have put him/her in this situation to begin with... you better believe I'd rather my buddy being the one walking away from the exchange. I don't feel guilty about that at all.

There are bad cops. There are accidents. There is room for improvement. However I think officers get it right far far far more often than they get it wrong, and I'm not comfortable asking them to INCREASE the risk level of an already deadly profession just to give that aggressive armed guy ONE MORE STEP to reconsider what he's doing. I don't really feel badly about that.

Agree. I don't think we've gotten there yet. In this case, at least.But shouldn't we be asking, in a very serious way, if this could have been avoided?
I do hear ya.

As someone who has a LOT of friends in law enforcement... as someone who's friends with many of their wives/girlfriends... as someone who hears tons of stories about what these guys go through on a daily basis (particularly in a city like Memphis), I tend to encourage them to err on the side of caution out there to ensure that they will make it home to their women/kids.

While I think there is always room for improvement, if it's going to come down to a buddy who's willing to risk his life every day for #### pay in an effort to make my city better, or what is USUALLY some repeat criminal who's actions USUALLY have put him/her in this situation to begin with... you better believe I'd rather my buddy being the one walking away from the exchange. I don't feel guilty about that at all.

There are bad cops. There are accidents. There is room for improvement. However I think officers get it right far far far more often than they get it wrong, and I'm not comfortable asking them to INCREASE the risk level of an already deadly profession just to give that aggressive armed guy ONE MORE STEP to reconsider what he's doing. I don't really feel badly about that.
A good family friend is a cop in a city bordering Newark.

He's a complete nut job. Probably from the job, but a bit of predisposition too. I could see him making a mistake and shooting a kid on accident. It happens. No one can deny it happens.

All we can do is wait and see. Watch it unfold. But the inquiry is justified. It should always be justified when someone is killed. Even when the big bad wolf is the one shot in the street.

I worked for a judge after law school who briefly made a living as a criminal defense attorney. (ETA: he was really good and had a few high profile cases). When asked how someone so rule oriented and so law abiding could "stick up" for guilty criminals his simple response was: my job is to preserve the system.

This circus, in the end, should be a test and a check and balance of the system.

I can guarantee changes are coming to the local PD. They might be superficial and a show, but they are coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm usually pro cop and freely admit it...If an officer was on his own I'd probably say he handled it how he should, but with two officers there, yes I believe this could have been handled differently....One officer could have said to the other, I'm going to taze him..if it doesn't work shoot him.
You taze, I'll cover you. I'm not good with a taser and better you than me.
I've got body armour on, or at least I should have....Unless the knife guy can punch it in my head, which I'm going to avoid, I'm in control and am going to taze him to near electrocution. But in the end he would still be alive and nobody would be questioning my action.

I'm usually pro cop and freely admit it...If an officer was on his own I'd probably say he handled it how he should, but with two officers there, yes I believe this could have been handled differently....One officer could have said to the other, I'm going to taze him..if it doesn't work shoot him.
You taze, I'll cover you. I'm not good with a taser and better you than me.
I've got body armour on, or at least I should have....Unless the knife guy can punch it in my head, which I'm going to avoid, I'm in control and am going to taze him to near electrocution. But in the end he would still be alive and nobody would be questioning my action.
Bulletproof vests aren't very helpful when being stabbed.

Officer Down Memorial Page lists 30 officers killed by a shooting in the line of duty in 2013.

Wiki lists 313 people that police officers killed in 2013.

Police officers have a tough job, and they meet up with people who are not thinking clearly, or who have bad intentions - but we do need to re-think how we are training and equipping these officers to deal with volatile situations. I think the shoot first, ask questions later is a dangerous road to go down.

We talk about the importance of a judicial system where its better to let a guilty man go free than a innocent man go to jail - we ought to extend that to the police, so we are not empowering judge/jury/executioners.

He's a complete nut job. Probably from the job, but a bit of predisposition too. I could see him making a mistake and shooting a kid on accident. It happens. No one can deny it happens.

All we can do is wait and see. Watch it unfold. But the inquiry is justified. It should always be justified when someone is killed. Even when the big bad wolf is the one shot in the street.
I wish we had a better system in place to filter out the nutjobs in the department. Can't argue there... they exist, and they don't need to.

Unforutnately when you have a job like LEO where you pay poorly but have extremely high expectations and stress levels, it's a recipe for disaster. You're not going to get top of the line candidates to risk their lives for $35-45k a year.... at least not many. You'll get some who really care and want to make a difference. But most just want the paycheck.

I wish we had a better system in place to filter out the nutjobs in the department. Can't argue there... they exist, and they don't need to.

Unforutnately when you have a job like LEO where you pay poorly but have extremely high expectations and stress levels, it's a recipe for disaster. You're not going to get top of the line candidates to risk their lives for $35-45k a year.... at least not many. You'll get some who really care and want to make a difference. But most just want the paycheck.
The retirement/pension perk aint too shabby. This guy will probably retire at 45-50.

I haven't seen anybody in this thread take the position that Brown family attorney Darryl Parks takes in this article. (bolded) Anyone agree with Parks' take?

Police Union: 'Justice Needs to Go Both Ways'
Sergeant Kevin Ahlbrand, president of the Missouri Fraternal Order of Police, says the police officer who shot and killed Michael Brown has been vilified in the press and by politicians before the facts are known.

"Justice needs to go both ways," Ahlbrand told Fox News's Megyn Kelly Tuesday night.

"We routinely don't comment on these cases until the facts are in. But we thought it was very necessary that we say, hey, we're open for a very thorough investigation, but we're very concerned about the due process rights of Darren."

On Wednesday, a grand jury is expected to begin hearing evidence to determine if Officer Darren Wison should be charged in Brown's death.

"You know, when a police officer has to take a life, that is the worst possible thing he can do in his job," Ahlbrand said. "It's a very traumatic experience, and now he's facing death threats from people, his family is facing death threats, and nobody is standing up for Darren and we have to stand up for him."

According to the Associated Press, Office Wilson received special recognition at a Ferguson City Council meeting in February for his role in responding to a report of a suspicious vehicle, then struggling with the driver and detaining him until help arrived. Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson said the suspect was preparing to sell a large amount of marijuana.

Ahlbrand said he doesn't know if Wilson will testify before the grand jury. But he doesn't think the grand jury will indict him: "My personal belief is that they will not return an indictment, based on the facts that I know right now."

Missouri State Senator Jamilah Nasheed is demanding that St. Louis County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch step aside and let a special prosecutor handle the case.

She has warned that failure to indict Wilson will make the Ferguson rioting up to this point "seem like a picnic compared to the havoc that will likely occur, because the black community will never accept that there was an impartial investigation from (McCulloch's) office."

In a statement Tuesday night, Gov. Jay Nixon, a Democrat, urged a "vigorous prosecution" to "achieve justice in the shooting death of Michael Brown." But Nixon also refused to remove the "democratically elected" St. Louis County prosecutor.

Daryl Parks, one of the attorneys representing Michael Brown's family, told Fox News he believes the evidence shows that Michael Brown was trying to surrender when he was killed.

"Quite possibly, whatever happened at the car probably made him (Wilson) mad. And so, whatever his mind set is, he got out of the car it caused him to take the action he took. He had shot Michael once, Michael turned around, Michael was wounded, there was no reason to continue shooting him...He didn't have to kill him like that."

And what if Michael had been charging toward the officer, as some witnesses have said?

"Even if he was," Parks said, "he was already shot and wounded, he was a wounded man. So he wasn't a real threat to the officer at that point."

"If the grand jury doesn't indict, will you accept that?," Megyn Kelly asked Parks.

"Not necessarily, I think the grand jury has enough probable cause to at least charge the officer," he replied."They need to come down with an indictment."

More reasons why I was hesitant to believe Dorian Johnson's story (he's already made false statements to the police)....

http://www.abc17news.com/news/key-witness-in-ferguson-wanted-in-jefferson-city/27624066

22 year-old Dorian Johnson, the man who was walking with Michael Brown when he was shot, has a warrant out for his arrest in Jefferson City.

The warrant is for stealing and dates back to June 2011.

ABC 17 News looked into Johnson's past and found out he has also been charged with filing a false police report in the same year.

After cross referencing several records, ABC 17 News found the warrant, which is for Dorian Jordan Johnson, is actually the same person as Dorian Jarvis Johnson.

Johnson has told news organizations Brown was, "shot like and animal..."

You might remember, Johnson told reporters Brown was running away with his hands up.

A medical examiner's report was inconsistent with Johnson's story.
I'm not sure why ANY of that is relevant to THIS Case.... the guy is a witness to an execution.

What motivation would he possibly have to lie?
People keep bringing up past police incidents. Why is the past only relevant to what the cops have done?
Exactly! If the cop had an incident report in his 6 years on the force people would be throwing him under the bus even more. But when either (actually both) of the kids have criminal histories, it doesn't seem to matter.
I was being sarcastic guys... mocking the mindset of some of the guys in here. ;)
Can you put the scarcasm in italics, a different color, or followed by the emoticon? You can't pass this off with all the guys running around here with sticks up their asses. TIA ;)

Just saw a quick clip on the news of a peaceful parade in Ferguson. A bunch of people holding signs... to very popular ones... one reads, "stop killing us" and the other reads, "stop the violence".

Well, I saw a few black people walking, holding the "stop killing us" variety.

Then I saw a couple of white guys walking holding the "stop the violence" sign.

Shouldn't the white guys have been holding a sign that read, "stop killing them"?

Its not hard to find the racists in threads like this
Yes, everyone who isn't dripping with guilt is obviously racist. Good job columbo...
nope ....just the ones that refer to people as ''those people''
Lol that's the requirement? Lmao
pick a lane. either LOL or LMAO.
Sorry but busted guilt really made me laugh with that one!

Users who are viewing this thread