What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looting in Missouri after cops shoot 18 year old (2 Viewers)

Christo? Any thoughts why there is no report? I'm blanking on reasons.
He'd had his face broken and was too out of it to call EMS and then hospitalized and couldn't file a report immediately?
Except his face wasn't broken, as we now know, right?
No, we don't "know" that. We have reports saying it was, and others that it wasn't. I don't know which one is true, but we certainly don't "know" that either way.

He'd had his face broken and was too out of it to call EMS and then hospitalized and couldn't file a report immediately?
Even if that's true (and no evidence of any of it, including the hospitalization), it's been over 12 days. At some point a police report should have been filed. The fact that it wasn't bodes bad things for Officer Wilson and his defenders.

Even if that's true (and no evidence of any of it, including the hospitalization), it's been over 12 days. At some point a police report should have been filed. The fact that it wasn't bodes bad things for Officer Wilson and his defenders.
He has the right to remain silent.

Does that pertain to an official police report? Not being a smartass. I'm asking because I don't know.

They've released his medical records?
Fair enough. We will wait for his medical records. He also might have amnesia.

There's no "evidence" for anything other than that a young man was shot to death by a police officer. He asked for speculation, I gave it to him.

And from the article above, here's some more of it:

Police in Ferguson, Missouri, did not file an “incident report” on the fatal shooting of 19-year-old Michael Brown because they turned the case over to St. Louis County police almost immediately, the county prosecutor’s office tells NBC News.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's true. But he also has a responsibility to file a police report. The fact that he didn't suggests that he did something wrong, no?

Here ya go, Tim. What's your next theory?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/michael-brown-shooting/michael-brown-shooting-why-ferguson-police-never-filed-incident-report-n186431

Police in Ferguson, Missouri, did not file an “incident report” on the fatal shooting of 19-year-old Michael Brown because they turned the case over to St. Louis County police almost immediately, the county prosecutor’s office tells NBC News.

The St. Louis County police department presumably did file an incident report, but any such documents will not be made public until a grand jury investigating the officer-involved shooting concludes its investigation, according to officials from the office who briefed NBC News on the case.

Does that pertain to an official police report? Not being a smartass. I'm asking because I don't know.
I believe the Constitution trumps even police reports.

That's true. But he also has a responsibility to file a police report. The fact that he didn't suggests that he did something wrong, no?
No.

There's no "evidence" for anything other than that a young man was short to death by a police officer. He asked for speculation, I gave it to him.

And from the article above, here's some more of it:

Ok. Maybe this is no big deal. Seems awfully weird though.

It suggests he knows his rights.

Here ya go, Tim. What's your next theory?http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/michael-brown-shooting/michael-brown-shooting-why-ferguson-police-never-filed-incident-report-n186431

The St. Louis County police department presumably did file an incident report, but any such documents will not be made public until a grand jury investigating the officer-involved shooting concludes its investigation, according to officials from the office who briefed NBC News on the case.
This doesn't mean an officer on scene wouldn't file a report.

Here ya go, Tim. What's your next theory?http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/michael-brown-shooting/michael-brown-shooting-why-ferguson-police-never-filed-incident-report-n186431

Are you trying to beat out Tim for most inane poster in this thread?

Are you ####### kidding me? At least put a :) in your posts or something. ####ing troll.

Perhaps you don't understand how police reports work.

No, we don't "know" that. We have reports saying it was, and others that it wasn't. I don't know which one is true, but we certainly don't "know" that either way.
So this is just pure, unadulterated speculation? Heck, maybe Obama shot the kid.

In the end, I guess I'd have to admit that I'm a "dead kid that might not have had to have died" backer.

Not really into the status quo, I suppose.

If dead kids is the "way it works", maybe, just perhaps, we need to reevaluate things on every level.

I'm really not on the "people being shot to death in the streets" team on any level.
Big fan of ya GB, you know this.

I'm a "inform kids that aggressively approaching police with a weapon when they're telling you to drop said weapon results in dead kids" backer :)
Agree. I don't think we've gotten there yet. In this case, at least.

But shouldn't we be asking, in a very serious way, if this could have been avoided?
I do hear ya.

As someone who has a LOT of friends in law enforcement... as someone who's friends with many of their wives/girlfriends... as someone who hears tons of stories about what these guys go through on a daily basis (particularly in a city like Memphis), I tend to encourage them to err on the side of caution out there to ensure that they will make it home to their women/kids.

While I think there is always room for improvement, if it's going to come down to a buddy who's willing to risk his life every day for #### pay in an effort to make my city better, or what is USUALLY some repeat criminal who's actions USUALLY have put him/her in this situation to begin with... you better believe I'd rather my buddy being the one walking away from the exchange. I don't feel guilty about that at all.
:lmao: at all of this

You're a ####### marketing guy who knows #### about law enforcement and really anything else. Like I said, the only thing you've ever served is some BBQ that you took entirely too much credit for. Just stop it. The only friend you've ever had is your own mullet. :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
So this is just pure, unadulterated speculation? Heck, maybe Obama shot the kid.
No, it's not pure, unadulterated speculation. It's speculation based on the reports that he'd had his face broken. And speculation was exactly what I was giving.

So... anyone want to speculate as to why the cop never called EMS, waited to call in the shooting, and never filed a report?

:lmao:

Henry Ford: Someone speculate!

PatsWillWin: Heck, I'll speculate.

Sporthenry: That's just speculation!

Henry Ford: Someone speculate!

PatsWillWin: Heck, I'll speculate.

Sporthenry: That's just speculation!
Basically.

Is this a fact, or is it speculation?

Are you ####### kidding me? At least put a :) in your posts or something. ####ing troll.
Are you high on booze or dope?

Are you high on booze or dope?
Neither. Are you offering?

So, is it about time some start looking up the Departments Directives or Policies and Procedures regarding use of force, use of force reporting, and OIS investigations. Will somebody be discussing Garrity warnings soon?

Wilson doesn't have to show anything actually. Probably like George Z, if he ever goes to trial he'll never testify. Just have his defense team question the witnesses, get a jury dominated by older white people, and then his lawyer argues the state can't prove it (which is probably true). And he'll walk.
I really find it offensive that YOU think a black dominated jury would fail to view and weight the evidence fairly and in an educated manner. You are the true racist here. What to hell is wrong with you?

All speculation on my part. There may be a perfectly good reason why Wilson didn't immediately file a police report. The "reason" that Jim11 posted, that the investigation was turned over to the county, is not sufficient IMO. So far as I know, (and I admit that's not much) every there a policeman uses his gun in the line of duty, an immediate report is filed that same day or night.

All speculation on my part. There may be a perfectly good reason why Wilson didn't immediately file a police report. The "reason" that Jim11 posted, that the investigation was turned over to the county, is not sufficient IMO. So far as I know, (and I admit that's not much) every there a policeman uses his gun in the line of duty, an immediate report is filed that same day or night.
Departmental Directives on such matters are usually not that difficult to find.

Wilson doesn't have to show anything actually. Probably like George Z, if he ever goes to trial he'll never testify. Just have his defense team question the witnesses, get a jury dominated by older white people, and then his lawyer argues the state can't prove it (which is probably true). And he'll walk.
I really find it offensive that YOU think a black dominated jury would fail to view and weight the evidence fairly and in an educated manner. You are the true racist here. What to hell is wrong with you?
Obviously you're being sarcastic, but it's a good question anyhow. We live in the real world. If I'm an attorney for the prosecution, I want black jurors, and failing that, young jurors who might be more sympathetic to black concerns about the police. If I'm the defense attorney, I want old white people, the sort who are more afraid of riots and looting and who are much more likely to be sympathetic to the police in these sorts of situations. I would be shocked to hear any trial lawyer disagree with my assessment of this.

So you are just speculating, and don't don't know anything about the topic at hand, but you know the reporter is wrong.

Okie dokie.

Perhaps. I wouldn't know where in this case. Do you agree with my last sentence (bolded)?

So you are just speculating, and don't don't know anything about the topic at hand, but you know the reporter is wrong.

Okie dokie.
I never said the reporter was wrong. But what was posted is incomplete. Why was this shooting immediately turned over to the county? Are all shootings turned over to the county? (Somehow I doubt this, but if it's true I'd be curious to know why.) And even if it was turned over to the county, why didn't Wilson give an immediate accounting of what happened?

The fact that you are so eager to use what this reporter wrote as a reason for Wilson's failure to report anything makes very little sense to me, unless you simply WANT Wilson to be exonerated and are willing to grasp at any possibility. I know this is true of Jim11, which is why I generally ignore his arguments, but you struck me as more thoughtful than that.

I wonder if the Ferguson Police Department is CALEA accredited or accredited by MPCCF? I wonder if they have standard Directives? I wonder if their City Attorneys have attended the IACP Legal advisor conferences or if they use those standardized Directives or others?

Actually I know the answers, and the import of the questions.

Okie dokie.
I never said the reporter was wrong. But what was posted is incomplete. Why was this shooting immediately turned over to the county? Are all shootings turned over to the county? (Somehow I doubt this, but if it's true I'd be curious to know why.) And even if it was turned over to the county, why didn't Wilson give an immediate accounting of what happened?

The fact that you are so eager to use what this reporter wrote as a reason for Wilson's failure to report anything makes very little sense to me, unless you simply WANT Wilson to be exonerated and are willing to grasp at any possibility. I know this is true of Jim11, which is why I generally ignore his arguments, but you struck me as more thoughtful than that.
I'm not eager at all. This whole line of conversation started because Henry Ford asked for speculation as to why a report would not have been filed about the incident. I provided speculation, and a link to an article with another reason stated by a reporter, which you may view as another form of speculation.

Neither of us seem to know **** about police reports. The difference is I see an article by a news reporter giving an explanation and I consider it a possible explanation. You, in the same post that you describe to us how ignorant you are on the subject, state that you "don't buy it" because it doesn't jibe with what very little you know about police reports.

So who is the eager one Tim? Who? WHO? WHO? WHO IS IT TIM? HUH? TELL ME? WHO'S THE EAGER ONE??

I wonder if the Ferguson Police Department is CALEA accredited or accredited by MPCCF? I wonder if they have standard Directives? I wonder if their City Attorneys have attended the IACP Legal advisor conferences or if they use those standardized Directives or others?

Would you please mind sharing them with us? You have me interested.

Okie dokie.

I'm not eager at all. This whole line of conversation started because Henry Ford asked for speculation as to why a report would not have been filed about the incident. I provided speculation, and a link to an article with another reason stated by a reporter, which you may view as another form of speculation.

Neither of us seem to know **** about police reports. The difference is I see an article by a news reporter giving an explanation and I consider it a possible explanation. You, in the same post that you describe to us how ignorant you are on the subject, state that you "don't buy it" because it doesn't jibe with what very little you know about police reports.

So who is the eager one Tim? Who? WHO? WHO? WHO IS IT TIM? HUH? TELL ME? WHO'S THE EAGER ONE??
Again I never wrote I didn't buy it. I wrote that it led to more questions than it answers.

I enjoyed your last paragraph.

Perhaps. I wouldn't know where in this case. Do you agree with my last sentence (bolded)?
I do not. The generalization makes it patently wrong as does the time frame. Officers have rights, both constitutional and contractual through their union or association. OIS matters, Officer Involved Shooting matters have strict protocols. Officers weapons are collected and bullets and magazines accounted for. Evidence on the uniform is collected. Officers are given contact with an attorney or union representative, and it is very important that the officer is tested for intoxicants in a timely fashion. Some Departments also mandate access to psychiatric assistance or peer counseling in fairly immediate time frames. Depending upon the amount of time an officer has been awake, on shift, and going through prescribed activities he or she may very well not file a report that evening or shift. The matter can wait for the next day or shift.

Now, far more often than not you are correct, but your generalization and universality make the statement incorrect.

Now there are documents which would be filed and reports which would be created in the routine course of business I would be shocked not to see. A Department is also a business and they create records, time sheets, assignment logs, use of force reports, change of shift or assignment reports, vehicle assignments, overtime authorizations. If one knows what to look for one can piece together a comprehensive picture.

Let me be more specific, since you know the answers:

1. What is CALEA?

2. What is MPCCF?

3. What difference does it make if they are accredited by one or the other?

4. What are the IACP legal advisor conferences?

5. Which "standard directives" are you referring to? Any at all?

6. How do these questions have bearing on the incident of Wilson and Brown?

tia

I do not. The generalization makes it patently wrong as does the time frame. Officers have rights, both constitutional and contractual through their union or association. OIS matters, Officer Involved Shooting matters have strict protocols. Officers weapons are collected and bullets and magazines accounted for. Evidence on the uniform is collected. Officers are given contact with an attorney or union representative, and it is very important that the officer is tested for intoxicants in a timely fashion. Some Departments also mandate access to psychiatric assistance or peer counseling in fairly immediate time frames. Depending upon the amount of time an officer has been awake, on shift, and going through prescribed activities he or she may very well not file a report that evening or shift. The matter can wait for the next day or shift.

Now, far more often than not you are correct, but your generalization and universality make the statement incorrect.

Now there are documents which would be filed and reports which would be created in the routine course of business I would be shocked not to see. A Department is also a business and they create records, time sheets, assignment logs, use of force reports, change of shift or assignment reports, vehicle assignments, overtime authorizations. If one knows what to look for one can piece together a comprehensive picture.
Thank you. That makes sense.

But given your answer, I am still perplexed that apparently no record was kept of Officer Wilson's actions (if in fact that's true.)

Users who are viewing this thread