What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looting in Missouri after cops shoot 18 year old (4 Viewers)

I wonder if the Ferguson Police Department is CALEA accredited or accredited by MPCCF? I wonder if they have standard Directives? I wonder if their City Attorneys have attended the IACP Legal advisor conferences or if they use those standardized Directives or others?

Actually I know the answers, and the import of the questions.
Would you please mind sharing them with us? You have me interested.
For professional reasons I choose not to do so, but you are an inquisitive cat, I bet if you spent a short bit of time on line, and maybe made one Open Records Request, a simple matter you can easily accomplish, you could have all of your answers. The stunning thing to me in this entire matter is how little homework anyone has done, especially the networks who have the resources to easily understand these things.

I apologize if I am being a pain in the ###, but there are legitimate career reasons I choose to stay at arms length in these types of threads.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
I wonder if the Ferguson Police Department is CALEA accredited or accredited by MPCCF? I wonder if they have standard Directives? I wonder if their City Attorneys have attended the IACP Legal advisor conferences or if they use those standardized Directives or others?

Let me be more specific, since you know the answers:1. What is CALEA?

2. What is MPCCF?

3. What difference does it make if they are accredited by one or the other?

4. What are the IACP legal advisor conferences?

5. Which "standard directives" are you referring to? Any at all?

6. How do these questions have bearing on the incident of Wilson and Brown?

tia
Matters readily answered through google. Don't forget Garrity Warnings.

OK, when I have time I will try to do so. Though simply learning what these organizations are doesn't mean that I will be able to grasp why they are important.

Hey DW, during your career, in your jurisdiction and the surrounding areas, how many times are you aware that a police officer been indicted for shooting someone while the officer was on duty?

You completely chopped an important part of my statement. The report of the broken eye socket and evidence of a struggle for the gun came from the same source. So if the source was incorrect on the eye socket, then there's reason to doubt his or her claim on there being evidence of a stuggle for the gun. Furthermore, both seemed to be critical points of evidence that folks here were using to justify Wilson's actions
Like I said before, that part goes to the strength of the evidence--which we actually haven't seen yet. You are conflating issues.
I agree with the bold. But I think you are taking what I said out of context. My posts were intended to poke holes in the narrative that's being advanced in the court of public opinion (e.g. this site) as justification for Wilson's actions, which is based off of a radio interview with Wilson's friend and a now questionable report that folks found on Drudge/ Fox. Frankly, I thought that was clear given that I started with the assumptions from the Fox article (i.e. he was viciously beaten, suffered an orbital blowout, there was a struggle for his gun, etc.), but looking back on it now I suppose I wasn't very clear.

Hey DW, during your career, in your jurisdiction and the surrounding areas, how many times are you aware that a police officer been indicted for shooting someone while the officer was on duty?
You call him out for the ice bucket challenge and bc of this you think he's going to answer your questions on pg 80 of this thread?

Christo? Any thoughts why there is no report? I'm blanking on reasons.
He'd had his face broken and was too out of it to call EMS and then hospitalized and couldn't file a report immediately?
Even if that's true (and no evidence of any of it, including the hospitalization), it's been over 12 days. At some point a police report should have been filed. The fact that it wasn't bodes bad things for Officer Wilson and his defenders.
He has the right to remain silent.
What does that have to do with a police report?

Something stinks here.

He'd had his face broken and was too out of it to call EMS and then hospitalized and couldn't file a report immediately?
Even if that's true (and no evidence of any of it, including the hospitalization), it's been over 12 days. At some point a police report should have been filed. The fact that it wasn't bodes bad things for Officer Wilson and his defenders.
That's true. But he also has a responsibility to file a police report. The fact that he didn't suggests that he did something wrong, no?
It suggests he knows his rights.
So he presumed there would be a criminal investigation of the incident for some reason? In your experience, how often does a police officer involved in justified use of lethal force neglect to file an incident report?

Police in Ferguson, Missouri, did not file an “incident report” on the fatal shooting of 19-year-old Michael Brown because they turned the case over to St. Louis County police almost immediately, the county prosecutor’s office tells NBC News.
I have a few questions* about the alleged "almost immediate" hand-off to the St. Louis County PD.

1. Is it standard protocol for a local PD to turn the case over to the county PD when the local PD shoots or kills a suspect? Or was there something unique about this particular incident? What is the standard for the county taking over a case?

2. How long is "almost immediately"? Does that mean that the county police were at the crime scene analyzing evidence and interviewing potential witnesses immediately after the shooting? Or did the county police merely take the local police's work from the crime scene and incorporate it into a county incident report?

3. When was any incident report, county or local, finally filed? How much time had elapsed since the incident? Is that time gap within the customarily acceptable range of time to file an incident report?

*These are rhetorical questions for this thread. I'll presume none of us have the knowledge to answer them.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does that have to do with a police report?Something stinks here.
I read on pg 79 that an incident report was filled out, but since the investigation was transferred to a different department (state police?) the report wasn't initially filled out. These reports aren't made public and will only be released after they're presented to the grand jury.

Unnamed source: "officer Wilson has a fractured eye socket"

FFA: "sorry if i don't believe anything from an unnamed source"

Unnamed source: "officer Wilson had a swollen face but no fractured eye"

FFA: "oops" "I knew he didn't have it" "I can't believe people believed an unnamed source"

Then there is also the reaction that Wilson may have had a swollen face but since x-rays to the orbital bone possibly came back negative, there's nothing to see here.

FFA: "oops" "I knew he didn't have it" "I can't believe people believed an unnamed source"

Then there is also the reaction that Wilson may have had a swollen face but since x-rays to the orbital bone possibly came back negative, there's nothing to see here.
He doesn't appear to be in pain during that cell phone video where he is talking with that other officer. How long is that after the shooting?

He doesn't appear to be in pain during that cell phone video where he is talking with that other officer. How long is that after the shooting?
A few possibilities:

1. Maybe Wilson wasn't as injured as the people arguing Wilson's side have suggested.

2. Maybe the pain from whatever caused Wilson's face to swell hadn't manifested itself yet. There is the old saying, "You'll feel that in the morning", because the worst pain is not always right away.

3. Maybe Wilson had so much adrenaline pumping through him that he couldn't feel pain at that moment. Imagine:

- Imagine being in an encounter where you were blasted in the face by a much larger man and thought your life was at risk.

- Imagine killing a man, including witnessing a potentially graphic head shot.

- Imagine being white man killing a black man in a black neighborhood, and then standing there as the black residents started filing out of their residences and expressing a mob anger toward you.

Any one of those incidents alone could get adrenaline pumping to such a degree that you may not feel pain. There's a possibility that all three of those incidents occurred.

Appear to be in pain? Do you expect to be able to see it from space too?

I don't know, but it's hard for me to judge the actions of someone who was just in an altercation and killed another person for the first time. I would have to guess his emotions were all over the place and he was filled with adrenaline. I think fractured eye socket sounds good to people supporting DW. In the heat of the moment, I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between that and some less severe injury.

surprisingly i can tell you have never been punched in face hard enough to cause damage....

I do not recall a single indictment, though every single Officer Involved Shooting is evaluated at least by the local D.A. who can indict or produce a Declination Letter declining to do so, and often the case may be evaluated by the D.A. from another jurisdiction if there is some hint of potential bias on behalf of the local D.A.'s office. My particular area of the country has included some shootings of unarmed people, people mistakenly thought armed, folks in their own homes on mistakenly served warrants, and in one case that sticks out in my mind of a developmentally disabled boy whose family had called for help in controlling him, and who had explained his disability to dispatch before the officers arrived on scene, apparently having not used the information to formulate any plan or coordination.

I have seen Declinations by the D.A. when Officers are well outside Departmental Directives.

I do not recall any Officer's matter going in front of a grand jury, but there may have been one about 10 years ago in another close by jurisdiction. Still, no indictment.

surprisingly i can tell you have never been punched in face hard enough to cause damage....
I'm pretty quick. They never get a clean shot.

that ....or you mastered the fetal turtle defense

I don't know, but it's hard for me to judge the actions of someone who was just in an altercation and killed another person for the first time. I would have to guess his emotions were all over the place and he was filled with adrenaline.I think fractured eye socket sounds good to people supporting DW. In the heat of the moment, I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between that and some less severe injury.
Supporting me? Have I taken a position? Haven't I raised the possibility that even if things had happened how the Officer's proxy (the wife's friends brother's cousin's version)relates that the Officer may have used poor tactics, and that the killing may have still been avoidable?

I have definitely come to no conclusions yet as the information is far to sketchy for anything but wild speculation. Right now we have a litmus test for attitudes. Eventually we may have some facts to discuss.

that ....or you mastered the fetal turtle defense
I wrestled and played rugby in HS. I boxed in college and worked as a bouncer. I'm not afraid to get hit.

Wilson doesn't have to show anything actually. Probably like George Z, if he ever goes to trial he'll never testify. Just have his defense team question the witnesses, get a jury dominated by older white people, and then his lawyer argues the state can't prove it (which is probably true). And he'll walk.
Why is everything about race. It is the worst Schlick on this forum. Why can't you frame arguments based on the evidence and stop assuming that every person of every race behavior is based on race.
You don't think veiled racial profiling is a MAJOR part of jury selection?

It most certainly is, even in the most boring civil trial.

It's a part of the system, like it or not. Granted there are checks and balances designed to make things fair, but it's sill part of the system.

A few possibilities:

1. Maybe Wilson wasn't as injured as the people arguing Wilson's side have suggested.

2. Maybe the pain from whatever caused Wilson's face to swell hadn't manifested itself yet. There is the old saying, "You'll feel that in the morning", because the worst pain is not always right away.

3. Maybe Wilson had so much adrenaline pumping through him that he couldn't feel pain at that moment. Imagine:

- Imagine being in an encounter where you were blasted in the face by a much larger man and thought your life was at risk.

- Imagine being white man killing a black man in a black neighborhood, and then standing there as the black residents started filing out of their residences and expressing a mob anger toward you.

Any one of those incidents alone could get adrenaline pumping to such a degree that you may not feel pain. There's a possibility that all three of those incidents occurred.
He also might have used a time machine the next day to go back and stop himself from killing Brown, but ended up getting punched in the face. You can't discount that theory until there's some evidence.

It certainly is not definitive. I'm surprised he doesn't touch his face at all.

So... anyone want to speculate as to why the cop never called EMS, waited to call in the shooting, and never filed a report?
He was waiting for the crowds to gather. He figured a few bad apples would step over the line changing the focus to the uppity rioters instead of the questionable shooting of an unarmed kid.

Just kidding.

Just shows how completely ####ed the ferguson PD is in all of this, regardless of the ultimate outcome. It's going to be a blood bath. Good luck with your private security jobs fellas. Bet those are lucrative in St. Louis.

A few possibilities:

He also might have used a time machine the next day to go back and stop himself from killing Brown, but ended up getting punched in the face. You can't discount that theory until there's some evidence.
Logic dictates that if you had a time machine you wouldn't use it to travel to the ####hole that is Ferguson, MO 2014.

After he has been arrested...

So... anyone want to speculate as to why the cop never called EMS, waited to call in the shooting, and never filed a report?
He was waiting for the crowds to gather. He figured a few bad apples would step over the line changing the focus to the uppity rioters instead of the questionable shooting of an unarmed kid.

Just kidding.

Just shows how completely ####ed the ferguson PD is in all of this, regardless of the ultimate outcome. It's going to be a blood bath. Good luck with your private security jobs fellas. Bet those are lucrative in St. Louis.
Yup. I can't even imagine the volume of 1983 suits against the PD for all the unjustified arrests/detentions and media blackouts. I'm betting there will be a whole cottage industry.

You always have the right to be silent about most things. "Am I under arrest?" And "I would like to speak to my lawyer now" Are about the only things you should say to the police if you are under suspicion of, say, murder.

:lmao:

I don't know, but it's hard for me to judge the actions of someone who was just in an altercation and killed another person for the first time. I would have to guess his emotions were all over the place and he was filled with adrenaline.I think fractured eye socket sounds good to people supporting DW. In the heat of the moment, I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between that and some less severe injury.
Supporting me? Have I taken a position? Haven't I raised the possibility that even if things had happened how the Officer's proxy (the wife's friends brother's cousin's version)relates that the Officer may have used poor tactics, and that the killing may have still been avoidable?

I have definitely come to no conclusions yet as the information is far to sketchy for anything but wild speculation. Right now we have a litmus test for attitudes. Eventually we may have some facts to discuss.
Um I think he meant Darren Wilson not you

Christo, are you saying you have no issue with the handling of this and you believe the officer acted appropriately in the moment and after the shooting occurred?

Just kidding.

Yup. I can't even imagine the volume of 1983 suits against the PD for all the unjustified arrests/detentions and media blackouts. I'm betting there will be a whole cottage industry.
Maybe a lot will be filed. But it's pretty hard to prove an individual arrest during widespread protests was done without probable cause.

I think it's a more basic equation.

Unnamed source contradicts unnamed source throw out both entirely.

His face might have been "swollen". That's in contradicted as of this morning.

Just kidding.

Maybe a lot will be filed. But it's pretty hard to prove an individual arrest during widespread protests was done without probable cause.
Also wondering about First Amendment-based claims by the media.

Also it's a civil claim so they don't have to prove it. I think it's a preponderance of the evidence standard.

Just kidding.

Also wondering about First Amendment-based claims by the media.

Also it's a civil claim so they don't have to prove it. I think it's a preponderance of the evidence standard.
Yes, they have to prove it.

Except his face wasn't broken, as we now know, right?
No, we don't "know" that. We have reports saying it was, and others that it wasn't. I don't know which one is true, but we certainly don't "know" that either way.
So this is just pure, unadulterated speculation? Heck, maybe Obama shot the kid.
:lmao: Henry Ford: Someone speculate!

PatsWillWin: Heck, I'll speculate.

Tim: the White Guy is guilty

Sporthenry: That's just speculation!
Fixed.

Would you please mind sharing them with us? You have me interested.
For professional reasons I choose not to do so, but you are an inquisitive cat, I bet if you spent a short bit of time on line, and maybe made one Open Records Request, a simple matter you can easily accomplish, you could have all of your answers. The stunning thing to me in this entire matter is how little homework anyone has done, especially the networks who have the resources to easily understand these things.

I apologize if I am being a pain in the ###, but there are legitimate career reasons I choose to stay at arms length in these types of threads.
:thumbup:

Supporting me? Have I taken a position? Haven't I raised the possibility that even if things had happened how the Officer's proxy (the wife's friends brother's cousin's version)relates that the Officer may have used poor tactics, and that the killing may have still been avoidable?I have definitely come to no conclusions yet as the information is far to sketchy for anything but wild speculation. Right now we have a litmus test for attitudes. Eventually we may have some facts to discuss.
Sorry. DW=Darren Wilson

Show me on the streets where a black man grabs a cops gun? I'm tired of this narrative by cops and white folks believing it.
:lmao: what a joke. Officer's guns are grabbed at all the time. Do you even know how to use google? You and tim should enroll in 'how to do a google search' class.

I'll lump you in with Tim as totally clueless.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2014/08/09/southaven-office-shooting/13824703/

Or are you simply narrowing it down to 'must be on a street'. I'll give that one 2 :lmao: :lmao:

Officer Down Memorial Page lists 30 officers killed by a shooting in the line of duty in 2013.

Wiki lists 313 people that police officers killed in 2013.
Are those really the same thing? I'm asking because I don't know. Is the first only a listing of cops killed by a firearm (not by stabbing, auto accidents, getting beaten, whatever) - and the 2nd one is for all deaths no matter the cause? I ask because two officers in my county alone died in auto accidents last year.

Users who are viewing this thread