What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lori Laughlin & Felicity Huffman BUSTED! (3 Viewers)

Huffman and Macy's daughters are going to fight about this forever.

Mom and dad didn't even care enough about you to hire someone to take your SATs!

Mom and dad didn't think I was stupid enough to NEED someone to take my SATs!

Remember - it's Affirmative Action that's causing your kids to miss out! It's not the rich people buying their kids into school through endowments or cheating scams!

- Rich people to poor people, 1961-present
"We only turned to a life of white collar crime because Affirmative Action caused our kids to miss out!"

College admissions offices are frantically back-checking the lists of admitted athletes now, looking to see if any coaches at their schools have done the same thing with sham recruits. The UPenn basketball coach got busted doing this exact thing a few years ago - used his last recruited athlete spot on a kid who didn't even show up for the team in exchange for $300,000 

College admissions offices are frantically back-checking the lists of admitted athletes now, looking to see if any coaches at their schools have done the same thing with sham recruits. The UPenn basketball coach got busted doing this exact thing a few years ago - used his last recruited athlete spot on a kid who didn't even show up for the team in exchange for $300,000 
Handing out the last basketball scholly to a 5-foot-6 rich white kid is a skit Chappelle was born to write.

im not sure what is worse the parents for paying for thier kids to cheat or the parents for not raising the kids to actually have drive and try or the kids for being such entitled pos that they themselves have no drive or effort or the kids for taking spots from other kids that could have been there it just throws so much legitimate effort in to a crap pile at the alter of entitled pricks brohans i aint the sharpest tool in the shed but that all just gets me fired up and pod take that to the bank bromigos 

gotta admit that this is a great scam.  300k seems crazy high for this, but what do I know.

gotta admit that this is a great scam.  300k seems crazy high for this, but what do I know.
because money doesn't matter to them, but the prestige of their kid at Yale does. Too bad Yale's admissions doesn't take bribes directly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised this is a story. Wealthy people around the world bribe routinely to get their kids in.  Whether it's a lofty donation, whatever.  The charity aspect is interesting and potentially damning - other than that zero surprise

Surprised this is a story. Wealthy people around the world bribe routinely to get their kids in.  Whether it's a lofty donation, whatever.  The charity aspect is interesting and potentially damning - other than that zero surprise
I agree, but thought it was always "discretion of the admissions team".  Didn't realize they went to such great lengths to make the application look good.  

I think its more of the:

• Hired people to help them cheat on SAT tests
• Knowingly 'donated' to a fake charity
• Wrote said donations off on their tax returns
• Outright lied to get admission through limited and designated athletic opportunities by sending in fake photos of their kid doing said sport

An outright donation, or building a gym is public and basically screams that "your dad got you in here" to both the students and everyone else. This was a way to do it where (in most cases) the kid didn't know it or wasn't fully aware of it. There was at least one case where the father and kid were recorded on the phone with the head guy discussing the plot. 

This was my first thought: why didn't they just donate the money right to the school for a new technology wing or something, like other wealthy/celeb parents have been doing for decades?

I think its more of the:

• Outright lied to get admission through limited and designated athletic opportunities by sending in fake photos of their kid doing said sport

An outright donation, or building a gym is public and basically screams that "your dad got you in here" to both the students and everyone else. This was a way to do it where (in most cases) the kid didn't know it or wasn't fully aware of it. There was at least one case where the father and kid were recorded on the phone with the head guy discussing the plot. 
In some of the cases the kids were in on the scam. They posed for the "athletic" pictures that were sent in to support (on paper) their admission based on lower qualifying standards because of their athletic prowess.

In answer to some others in this thread, I don't want us ever to get jaded about rich people screwing over not-rich people in this country. It's already getting worse and we can't afford to let it go much further.

I think its more of the:

How can the kids not be in on the scam?  Don’t the kids wonder how they suddenly scored a 1540 on the SAT without studying?  Or why people at school seem to think they play tennis when they don’t?

This was my first thought: why didn't they just donate the money right to the school for a new technology wing or something, like other wealthy/celeb parents have been doing for decades?
The cost to do that is apparently a lot higher. 

im not sure what is worse the parents for paying for thier kids to cheat or the parents for not raising the kids to actually have drive and try or the kids for being such entitled pos that they themselves have no drive or effort or the kids for taking spots from other kids that could have been there it just throws so much legitimate effort in to a crap pile at the alter of entitled pricks brohans i aint the sharpest tool in the shed but that all just gets me fired up and pod take that to the bank bromigos 
If those kids could write like this maybe they could get into Yale on their own.

Or maybe not.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
How can the kids not be in on the scam?  Don’t the kids wonder how they suddenly scored a 1540 on the SAT without studying?  Or why people at school seem to think they play tennis when they don’t?
I guess, just going by what was said in the press conference....maybe they were not aware of the whole breadth of it. For things like the SAT, they said that b/c they were able to have the test given in private, the proctor was paid off, and that person reviewed it and changed answers before submitting to the SAT board. 

Regardless, it stinks of these parents encouraging their kids to not work for—or fake through—what they get, but then again, that's wealth culture. We all can't all be Billy Madison. 

I love that Rodney Dangerfield has been a part of two different fictional comedy schemes to get admitted to a prestigious university through bribes. Once as Thornton Mellon and once as Larry, Mr. Burns' long-lost son.

Too bad he's dead, the news networks could've had him on as an expert.
I'm willing to bet he also had to pay more than Judge Smails to get a membership in Caddyshack.

From this USA Today story

Here's what the court documents say:

Felicity Huffman, 56 

Her kids: The Oscar-nominated actress and her husband, Oscar-nominated actor William H. Macy, 68, have two daughters, Sophia Grace, 18, and Georgia Grace, who turns 17 on March 14. 

Her "spouse": Macy is not on the list of nearly 40 parents who were charged with participating in the nationwide bribery scheme, and the FBI affidavit lists him only as "spouse." But the affidavit says Huffman's "spouse" participated in conversations at their Los Angeles home with a confidential witness about the scheme.

What did they allegedly do?: Huffman and her "spouse" made a "purported" charitable donation of $15,000 to Key Worldwide Foundation, a Newport Beach, Calif.,-based charitable organization, in February 2018, according to the affidavit.

The "contribution" was made to "participate in the college entrance exam cheating scheme on behalf of her older daughter" prior to the December 2017 SAT college entrance exam. The SAT is the most common exam high-school students take before applying to colleges and universities..

"Huffman later made arrangements to pursue the scheme a second time, for her younger daughter, before deciding not to do so," the affidavit says. 

The way the scheme worked, according to the affidavit, an individual identified as CW-1 (cooperating witness) told Huffman and her spouse that he "controlled" a college testing center where her daughter could take the college SAT and a "third party" would purport to proctor (or monitor during the exam) the daughter and "secretly correct her answers afterwards."

"CW-1 has advised investigators that Huffman and her spouse agreed to the plan," the affidavit says.

The daughter took the test at the West Hollywood Test Center instead of at her own high school. According to the affidavit, another individual, identified as CW-2, flew from Tampa to Los Angeles in December to proctor the SAT test.

CW-2 told investigators that each time he was in LA to proctor an exam, he "facilitated cheating, either by correcting the student's answers after the test or by actively assisting the student during the exam."   

"Ultimately, Huffman's daughter scored 1420 on the SAT, an improvement of approximately 400 points over her PSAT (the preliminary test to the SAT), taken without CW-2 a year earlier," the affidavit adds.  

Lori Loughlin, 54, and Mossimo Giannulli, 55  

Their kids: The daytime Emmy-award winning actress and her husband, a fashion designer, have two daughters together, Isabella Rose, 20, and Olivia Jade, 19, who has a YouTube channel of beauty tips. 

What did they allegedly do?: Investigators say in the affidavit that in July 2016, the couple "agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC (University of Southern California) crew team, despite the fact they did not participate in crew, thereby facilitating their admission to USC."

CW-1 advised Giannulli in a July 2016 email that his older daughter's academic qualifications were at or just below the "low end" of USC's admission standards. "Thereafter, the Giannullis agreed with CW-1 to use bribes to facilitate her admission to USC as a recruited crew coxswain, even though she did not row competitively or otherwise participate in crew," the affidavit says. 

In October 2016, CW-1 instructed the couple to "send $50,000 to Donna Heinel, senior women's associate athletic director at USC." The daughter was notified she was admitted in March 2017, and one week later the couple was sent an invoice from Key Worldwide Foundation (KWF) for $200,000. 

In April, Giannulli wired the money to KWF. "The following day, an employee of CW-1 sent the Giannullis a receipt from KWF falsely indicated that 'no goods or services were exchanged' for the purported donation" to the purported charity. (In order to qualify as a charity and as a tax deduction, no goods or services can be exchanged for supposed charitable donations."

Heinel was among multiple college sports officials charged with conspiracy to commit racketeering in connection with the case.

The Giannullis also followed the same process for their younger daughter to get into USC, the affidavit says. 

According to one of Olivia Jade's online videos, she wasn't that interested in college anyway because of her extensive work schedule, as she explained to her nearly 2 million followers in the summer of 2018.

“I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend,” she said in the video. “But I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of, like, game days, partying…I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.” 😬

What happens next

What time and penalties do these charges carry if there is a conviction?

Each count carries a minimum of five years in prison, Cohen said.

"And the fines are quite substantial – in the hundreds of thousands of dollars – but the fines seem to be the least of these people’s worries," Cohen said, given they were allegedly willing to pay substantial amounts to cheat.

“So you’ve got possible jail time and there will probably be more than one count in respect to each individual," Cohen added. "So you have a possibility of both jail and a significant fine on the separate counts.”

Where will the accused make their first court appearances?

Cohen says they will be arraigned and will enter a plea at the closest federal courthouse, or they will be summoned to Boston to answer to the charges. 

"I think the chances of that are actually good. In these high-profile cases, the prosecutors like to keep the case close," Cohen said. "So if I’m the prosecutor, I might well say to the people in Los Angeles: ‘You’ve got three days to get out here to Boston.’ So you get three days’ notice or maybe longer.  I don’t know that any of these particular people are considered flight risks.”

What will happen in court?

Some of the accused will be in court to plead guilty, Cohen said. Prosecutors at their news conference also said that at least two of the accused would plead guilty on Tuesday.

"The ones who plead guilty are most likely doing so because they’re cooperating with prosecutors...and their deal is already set up, and by deal I mean they’re pleading to one or two or four counts.”

Afterwards, their cases will then be sent for a probationary report or a pre-sentencing investigation. "It will be adjourned for two to three months – maybe longer depending on the backlog in the district of Massachusetts – and they’ll take it from there.”

Because it's a high-profile case, the accused may have to post bond. "But it’s very unlikely for a bond to be set at such a level that anybody will stay in custody because they can’t make bail,” Cohen said. 

Because the accused appear to be otherwise upstanding members of the community who are unlikely to flee, Cohen said, "they may just be released on their own recognizance and not have to pay anything in terms of bail."   

Prosecutors may also ask for electronic monitoring and the surrender of passports.

How likely are these cases to go to trial?

Cohen says it would be unusual in federal court if any of these cases to go to trial.

"And that’s because the likelihood is the federal government has everything buttoned down – (i.e.) they have everything on tape. And there are also documents," Cohen said. "The proof is going to be pretty solid. The prosecutors don’t have to go to extraordinary effort to get the evidence.”

The best course for the accused may be a plea deal, Cohen said. “I think a plea is likely going to be the best bargain you’re going to get even though it may not seem like that to these people in the moment.

"Don’t forget this is a universe in which this kind of stuff – criminal prosecution – is foreign. Neither the parents nor the kids have any contact with the criminal justice system. And they’re not going to like what they see.” 

From ABC News - 

FBI special agent says 300 FBI, IRS agents participated in arrests in alleged college cheating scam, named "Operation Varsity Blues"; 38 individuals have been taken into custody so far.

--

James Vanderbeek retweeting - If only there was a succinct turn of phrase these kids could have used to inform their parents they were not desirous of their life path...

Awesome.

Update 3/12/2019 2:54PM EST: It was also disclosed that Willkie Farr & Gallagher Co-Chairman Gordon R. Caplan has been charged. Caplan, described in the complaint as “an attorney and the co-chairman of an international law firm based in New York”, is reportedly said to have donated $75,000 to the brokering entity in question in order to have SAT test administrators correct his daughter's answers after she finished it. 

Update 3/12/2019 1:46PM EST: The complaint alleges that Ex-Pimco CEO Hodge “agreed to use bribery to facilitate the admission of two of his children to USC as purported athletic recruits” and, according to Bloomberg, he "sought to enlist the support of a cooperating witness to help a third child gain college admission". Hodge declined to comment to Bloomberg when reached on his mobile phone, reportedly only saying, “I can’t talk right now.”

Update 3/12/2019 1:14PM EST: Ex-Pimco CEO Douglas Hodge was also named among those charged in the scheme. Hercules Capital also fell in intraday trading when it was revealed that its CEO and largest holder Manuel Henriquez was named in the DOJ affidavit.

As someone who's daughter is going through the college application process right now, I am disappointed that this is seemingly another hurdle to make the process harder.

Last week, a Stanford Admissions Officer was charged with attempted murder after stabbing his girlfriend in an LSD induced haze.  Hearing that really inspired confidence in the most selective school in the nation and perhaps the world.

Wait, coxswain?

Basically sitting in the front of the scull and shouting “stroke” or whatever at predetermined intervals is a recruited thing?

Gotta go back and watch Oxford Blues again. Thought that spot was reserved for the dean’s daughter or some sort of heiress or something.

The main leader of this scam said it himself in one of the wiretaps.

There's the front door in through admission. Then there's the back door through the fundraising department. And he offers a side door. Sure the side door isn't technically "legal" but the back door costs 10 times as much. To be a development prospect, you have to be willing to put up at least $5 or 10 million. 

Bribing your kid's way into USC when she already has a couple of million social media followers, her own makeup line, and is on record as not even caring about school is pretty sad.

In some of the cases the kids were in on the scam. They posed for the "athletic" pictures that were sent in to support (on paper) their admission based on lower qualifying standards because of their athletic prowess.

In answer to some others in this thread, I don't want us ever to get jaded about rich people screwing over not-rich people in this country. It's already getting worse and we can't afford to let it go much further.
@The Gator‘s parents did something similar to get him in to community college.

@Bluto Blutarsky

That’s my kids top choice. Definitely used to have that reputation back when I was applying to college, but not so much these days. Very competitive admissions (unless you’re a rich participant in a bribery scheme that is).
Yeah, I'm old so that's going on a 25 year old story.

Users who are viewing this thread