What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

M Lattimore, RB, SC (1 Viewer)

Marcus Lattimore looks noticeably better and more explosive than he did two weeks ago when he was recovering from a hamstring strain. He caught an out pass early in practice and burst up field. It's hard to say whether Lattimore is 100 percent – I've never seen him practice in person until last month – but he certainly is making progress.
link

If Lattimore is right - and we still haven't seen him post catastrophic injury in a full speed contact situation - with Gore, Lattimore, and Hyde along with Kaepernick, SF is only going to need to throw the ball 15 times a game.

Maybe they need to consult with Barry Switzer or Tom Osborne.

I root for the kid but it isn't looking grwat for him.
The rehab progress isn't sounding great (although it contradicts reports from last year when he said he was ready to play around the time they officially put him on IR), however the situation (competition) is pretty good. Gore is 31 and wasn't the pinnacle of health until the last few years and I'd put my money on Hyde being a bust - his measurables weren't great and was seen as a reach by many.

To counterpoint myself, even if everything works out, I don't think he'll ever be more than an RB2 on that team unless Kaepernick develops. No team saw a higher percentage of snaps with 4 DBs or less than SF last year. It's not easy to run for them and even before injury, Lattimore was not the talent that Gore was.

FF Ninja said:
Sabertooth said:
Lattimore was not the talent that Gore was.
Huh? Lattimore was AP levels of running talent prior to his injury. If he doesn't year his entire knee apart he's probably a Top 5 pick last year.

FF Ninja said:
Sabertooth said:
Huh? Lattimore was AP levels of running talent prior to his injury. If he doesn't year his entire knee apart he's probably a Top 5 pick last year.
:confused:
Lattimore was hands down the best RB in college prior to his injury. Am I really the only person who thinks this? To say he isn't on Gore's level of talent is silly. Gore was a third round pick in 2005, an age where RBs consistently went early to mid first round. Lattimore was a 4th rounder in a year with No first round back and the knowledge that he may never play again. The niners essentially spent a 4th round pick on a guy that'd be lucky to run again, let alone play football. Simply because the upside if he could rehab his knee back to form he could be one of the biggest steals in the draft and a guy that had elite top 5 upside if he got healthy.

FF Ninja said:
Sabertooth said:
Lattimore was hands down the best RB in college prior to his injury. Am I really the only person who thinks this? To say he isn't on Gore's level of talent is silly. Gore was a third round pick in 2005, an age where RBs consistently went early to mid first round. Lattimore was a 4th rounder in a year with No first round back and the knowledge that he may never play again. The niners essentially spent a 4th round pick on a guy that'd be lucky to run again, let alone play football. Simply because the upside if he could rehab his knee back to form he could be one of the biggest steals in the draft and a guy that had elite top 5 upside if he got healthy.
I would actually say that coming into the league both could be viewed similarly. Gore had already had a poor injury history at the U and is what dropped him to the 3rd while still being highly touted and thought of if he could ever overcome his injury history. Comparing any RB to AD is doing that RB a diservice. AD is once a generation. The next AD hasn't come around yet but most likely won't match AD's style as those players tend to be unique compared to everyone else (i.e. Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, Eric Dickerson, even LT2).

FF Ninja said:
Sabertooth said:
As a freshman Gore was the best RB on a team with Portis/McGahee and probably the country.

Gore only went in the 3rd because he appeared injury prone after two knee injuries in college.

Gore and Lattimore have had parallel careers - with the difference being that Lattimore's injury was more serious and the 49ers didn't draft a RB high after Gore.

FF Ninja said:
Sabertooth said:
When Mcgahee got hurt he was still drafted in the first round. So either Lattimore was not anywhere close to a top 5 pick or his injury was so severe that teams didn't think he could come all the way back. Otherwise he wouldn't have been picked with a compensatory pick at the end of the 4th round.

FF Ninja said:
Sabertooth said:
When Mcgahee got hurt he was still drafted in the first round. So either Lattimore was not anywhere close to a top 5 pick or his injury was so severe that teams didn't think he could come all the way back. Otherwise he wouldn't have been picked with a compensatory pick at the end of the 4th round.
Different era. Back then it wasn't unusual for three or more RB's to be taken in the 1st round.

FF Ninja said:
Sabertooth said:
Different era. Back then it wasn't unusual for three or more RB's to be taken in the 1st round.
Don't think that explains that big of a difference.

FF Ninja said:
Sabertooth said:
Don't think that explains that big of a difference.
McGahee also looked better in college than Lattimore. Realistically, McGahee's career is a best case scenario for him. The wild card is that McGahee never had the benefit of playing on a running team like the 49ers.

Are we really arguing what might have beens against AD? Gore's career is best case for Lattimore I think. I hope he gets there.

FF Ninja said:
Sabertooth said:
As recently as 2012 it wasn't unusual for three RBs to be taken in the 1st round. And a few will likely go in the 1st next year.

And Lattimore was nowhere near Peterson level as a prospect pre-injury. Not even remotely close. He probably would have fallen in the late 1st / early 2nd area.

Marcus Lattimore: I’m trying to take Frank Gore’s job

Posted by Josh Alper on June 19, 2014, 9:18 AM EDT

When running back Marcus Lattimore injured his knee at South Carolina in 2012, there was some doubt about whether he’d recover enough to play in the NFL at all.

Lattimore wound up sitting out his entire rookie season as he recovered, but has returned to the field this offseason and drawn compliments from the team’s coaching staff on the progress he’s shown over the last few months. That would seem to put Lattimore in position to gain some playing time behind Frank Gore in 2014, but Lattimore is aiming a bit higher.

“I’m trying to take [Gore's] job, but I know that’s going to be the hardest thing in the world,” Lattimore said, via USA Today.

That might be a bit too much for Lattimore to bite off right now, even if the team didn’t also have Kendall Hunter and Carlos Hyde looking for carries in a deep San Francisco backfield. For now, Lattimore is learning the offense and waiting for training camp and preseason to start to see how he does while taking hits on a knee that hasn’t been pushed to those limits in nearly two years.

If he handles that without trouble and then shows he can be a productive back in the regular season, Lattimore can truly set his sights on a starting job. After coming back from such a serious knee injury, it would be hard to bet against him.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Gore was the reason Portis declared early. He was going to take his job. And Gore only slipped to the third due to injuries. He was a special talent as has been shown by his long and exceptional NFL career in spite of many injuries. Lattimore was highly touted and would've likely been the top RB in his draft class, but I don't consider him of the same level as Gore. That's really no knock on Lattimore when you consider how good Gore was (and still is). The dude has been facing stacked boxes his entire career.

I don't think the Gore comparisons are silly from a raw talent standpoint. Remember, SI was calling Gore one of the worst picks of the entire draft at the time. Lattimore seems like he has had more serious knee issues than Gore ever did though.

I don't think the Gore comparisons are silly from a raw talent standpoint. Remember, SI was calling Gore one of the worst picks of the entire draft at the time. Lattimore seems like he has had more serious knee issues than Gore ever did though.
They've both torn 2 ACL's plus Lattimore tore his LCL and PCL.

How much of a threat is he to Hyde taking over in a year or two when Gore is done?

I keep reading people who consider Hyde the best RB in dynasty rookie drafts, but I can't see how with Lattimore around...

I'd put it at Hyde being about a 2/1 favorite over Lattimore. I just don't think Lattimore can come back enough and I don't think the coaches think he can either. They've been trying to find a viable backup/heir to Gore for years. Hyde May or May not be the guy but I don't think Hunter/James/Lattimore is either.

How many feel Hyde could be nothing more than Insurance? and/or COP

I believe there is lots of unanswered questions that would make me consider drafting a RB w good value..

I believe there is lots of unanswered questions that would make me consider drafting a RB w good value..
Here's what I know:

- The 49ers aren't afraid to use high picks on RB so drafting Hyde doesn't automatically means they have it set in stone he'll be their starter.

- They drafted Lattimore knowing he would provide nothing his rookie year while there will still some very good players on the board. That they chose him over a healthy Stacy tells me how much they valued his pre-injury talent.

IMO Lattimore was a better back than Hyde prior to his injury. If he gets back to what he was then I believe he can win the job. From the 49ers perspective they will be very happy if that happens, but if not they have a nice RB in Hyde.

I own both so I can look at it objectively and I consider Hyde the favorite simply since Lattimore hasn't played since his injury. Until I see Lattimore in a game (even preseason) there's no way except gut feeling to say that he'll be the starter next year.

Here's what I know:

- The 49ers aren't afraid to use high picks on RB so drafting Hyde doesn't automatically means they have it set in stone he'll be their starter.

- They drafted Lattimore knowing he would provide nothing his rookie year while there will still some very good players on the board. That they chose him over a healthy Stacy tells me how much they valued his pre-injury talent.

IMO Lattimore was a better back than Hyde prior to his injury. If he gets back to what he was then I believe he can win the job. From the 49ers perspective they will be very happy if that happens, but if not they have a nice RB in Hyde.

I own both so I can look at it objectively and I consider Hyde the favorite simply since Lattimore hasn't played since his injury. Until I see Lattimore in a game (even preseason) there's no way except gut feeling to say that he'll be the starter next year.
I had the opportunity to own both in a couple leagues and chose not to buy on Hyde. Something with the 49ers bothers me. They dropped Alex Smith while he was winning with them and playing at the top of his career, they've drafted a RB to replace Gore eAch of the last 4 seasons Hunter, James, Lattimore and now Hyde. James and Hyde were second round picks and Lattimore has 1st round talent without his injury. I think there's still a 50/50 shot that Gore's real successor isn't even on the roster yet. And that scares me enough to just avoid the situation at this point. This time next year we can be taking about how they just selected Todd Gurley and how he's a top 5 dynasty pick. At some point we need to start realizing that the 49ers are becoming as unpredictable at the position as the Patriots and just avoid it.

Khy said:
cstu said:
Dismattle said:

Here's what I know:

I had the opportunity to own both in a couple leagues and chose not to buy on Hyde. Something with the 49ers bothers me. They dropped Alex Smith while he was winning with them and playing at the top of his career, they've drafted a RB to replace Gore eAch of the last 4 seasons Hunter, James, Lattimore and now Hyde. James and Hyde were second round picks and Lattimore has 1st round talent without his injury. I think there's still a 50/50 shot that Gore's real successor isn't even on the roster yet. And that scares me enough to just avoid the situation at this point. This time next year we can be taking about how they just selected Todd Gurley and how he's a top 5 dynasty pick. At some point we need to start realizing that the 49ers are becoming as unpredictable at the position as the Patriots and just avoid it.
I disagree with the bolded, see a post I made earlier in this thread below:

tdmills, on 17 May 2014 - 3:49 PM, said:
Lattimore is overrated as a prospect, pre knee injuries.
He averaged 4.8 and 5.0 yards per carry both years before the first knee injury. That's not special. Look at any Sec rb prospect worth a damn and they have at least a season of 5.5. Stacy had 2 seasons over that, gurley and yeldon are over 6.0 both seasons so far. Mark Ingram had a 6.1 season.
I think the potential is people see 5 star recruit and think what might've been. He is a bigger back with good agility and solid hands. But that doesnt mean he's a great pro prospect without the injury concerns. He never ran a 40, my guess is Kareem Carey could beat him in a footrace.

Khy said:
cstu said:
Dismattle said:

Here's what I know:

He averaged 4.8 and 5.0 yards per carry both years before the first knee injury. That's not special. Look at any Sec rb prospect worth a damn and they have at least a season of 5.5. Stacy had 2 seasons over that, gurley and yeldon are over 6.0 both seasons so far. Mark Ingram had a 6.1 season.
I think the potential is people see 5 star recruit and think what might've been. He is a bigger back with good agility and solid hands. But that doesnt mean he's a great pro prospect without the injury concerns. He never ran a 40, my guess is Kareem Carey could beat him in a footrace.
Here are some good SEC backs with lower YPC than Lattimore:

- Arian Foster, Rudi Johnson, Ridley, BJGE

Some backs with only a slightly higher (< .3) YPC:

- Ben Tate, Deuce McAllister, Shaun Alexander, Terrell Davis

Davis, Alexander, Rudi, Foster, Ridley, and BJGE never had a season over 5 YPC.

Khy said:
cstu said:
Dismattle said:

Here's what I know:

I've said this in way to many posts at this point, but more often than not 'mediocre' or maybe slightly above average college production is more of the 'norm' for stud NFL players than dominant college production. A lot... a LOT of players who we think of as amazing NFL talents had subpar college careers stats wise. I mean... ffs Tim Tebow was probably one of if not the best college QB of all time, look how his NFL career turned out? Herschel Walker was probably the best college football player of all time and what did he do in the NFL? Had one amazing season and only 2 in his career over 1k rushing yards. Archie Griffin, Vince Young, Tommie Fraizer, Reggie Bush etc... the list goes on. Yes, some of the greats were also NCAA greats but the two do not go hand in hand. If anything, the ones who were great at the NCAA and NFL levels are the stand outs of the bunch. The rest are always just great in one of the games as they're simply not the same game.

Khy said:
cstu said:
Dismattle said:

Here's what I know:

You helped prove my point to the claim "1st round talent" surrounding Lattimore. Only Shaun Alexander and Duece McAllister were 1st round picks, the other 6: Foster(undrafted), Tate(2nd), Terrell Davis(6th), Rudi(4th), Ridley(3rd), BJGE(UDFA).

Lattimore is simply not a 1st round talent, if he was completely healthy with no knee injuries...I would put him in a late 2nd/early 3rd round area for the NFL Draft. He gets classified in the "what if" category, where people misplace the actual talent because of "potential." But when we look back at the actual starting place, we realize it's not accurate and a false glory gets surrounded around the person. This happens with injuries, people that pass away young, etc,

For the Gore vs Lattimore people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXkAGgB1MDg Check out his run at 2:35, Gore was extremely explosive for a player his size. Lattimore has never been that explosive. If you're comparing Frank Gore at age 30 vs Lattimore at age 18/19, sure if might look closer. But Gore in college and early in the NFL was at a different level than Lattimore.

Khy said:
cstu said:
Dismattle said:

Here's what I know:

You helped prove my point to the claim "1st round talent" surrounding Lattimore. Only Shaun Alexander and Duece McAllister were 1st round picks, the other 6: Foster(undrafted), Tate(2nd), Terrell Davis(6th), Rudi(4th), Ridley(3rd), BJGE(UDFA).

Lattimore is simply not a 1st round talent, if he was completely healthy with no knee injuries...I would put him in a late 2nd/early 3rd round area for the NFL Draft. He gets classified in the "what if" category, where people misplace the actual talent because of "potential." But when we look back at the actual starting place, we realize it's not accurate and a false glory gets surrounded around the person. This happens with injuries, people that pass away young, etc,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXkAGgB1MDg Check out his run at 2:35, Gore was extremely explosive for a player his size. Lattimore has never been that explosive. If you're comparing Frank Gore at age 30 vs Lattimore at age 18/19, sure if might look closer. But Gore in college and early in the NFL was at a different level than Lattimore.
Just curious, injury concerns aside. Would you argue that Lattimore was NOT the most talented back coming out last season?

Also, yeah Gore was explosive. I never said he wasn't, I just liked Lattimore more in college. He was a lot of fun to watch. Also, Lattimore was rarely labeled as an explosive back... he was a big back 3 down back with average speed, elite vision and elite tackle breaking ability and he was also a good receiver out of the backfield. I still like Lattimore more than Hyde if Lattimore can get healthy enough and return to ever 95% of his former self.

Khy said:
cstu said:
Dismattle said:

Here's what I know:

Just curious, injury concerns aside. Would you argue that Lattimore was NOT the most talented back coming out last season?

Also, yeah Gore was explosive. I never said he wasn't, I just liked Lattimore more in college. He was a lot of fun to watch. Also, Lattimore was rarely labeled as an explosive back... he was a big back 3 down back with average speed, elite vision and elite tackle breaking ability and he was also a good receiver out of the backfield. I still like Lattimore more than Hyde if Lattimore can get healthy enough and return to ever 95% of his former self.
No, Lattimore wouldn't have been my #1 RB coming out. Lacy was easily in front. I wasn't completely enamored with Gio pre-draft, so Lattimore would've been in that Gio/Bell range.

I don't want people to take this as I hate Lattimore, I like the kid. He has great work ethic and character(he won't be Blackmon/Gordon/Hernandez) and is above average at most things at RB. I just don't see him as a 1st round NFL talent.

Khy said:

Here's what I know:

Hey man, fair enough. If we all had the same opinions of talent there'd be no reason for the shark pool now would there?

Rotoworld:

Marcus Lattimore - RB - 49ers

Per CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco, 49ers second-year RB Marcus Lattimore "made significant progress" over the course of spring practices, but "still appears to have a ways to go" to rediscover pre-knee injuries form.

Lattimore "appeared very tentative" at rookie minicamp and early OTAs, but got better as practices went on. He also "demonstrated reliable hands out of the backfield," according to Maiocco. Lattimore isn't on the re-draft fantasy radar at this point, and and we want to see him perform in preseason games before putting him there. Rookie Carlos Hyde is a superior late-round draft pick.

Source: CSN Bay Area

Jun 25 - 8:07 PM

KFFL) San Francisco 49ers RB Marcus Lattimore (knee) is not an absolute lock to make roster because he is coming of such a severe knee injury and there are so many unknowns before he takes a hit. Lattimore looked steady fielding punts during the offseason program so his spot is looking more secure than it was a month ago.

KFFL) San Francisco 49ers RB Marcus Lattimore (knee) is not an absolute lock to make roster because he is coming of such a severe knee injury and there are so many unknowns before he takes a hit. Lattimore looked steady fielding punts during the offseason program so his spot is looking more secure than it was a month ago.
Obviously. He's going to have to stay healthy and play well in the preseason to make the team - just like anyone else.

That's some sloppy journalism. This is the article they sourced:

Explanation: Lattimore is fully expected to be on the 53-man roster, but because he’s coming off such a severe knee injury and there are so many unknowns before he takes his first hit, he cannot be considered an absolute lock at this point. James looked very steady fielding punts in the offseason, so his spot is looking much more secure than it appeared a month ago.

Matt Maiocco's entire RB take says the following where he clearly states Lattimore isn't a mortal lock to make the team as are, Gore, Miller, Hunter, and Hyde, but that he was 'looking' good:

Running backs (9)
Locks (4): Frank Gore, Bruce Miller, Kendall Hunter, Carlos Hyde.
Looking good (2): Marcus Lattimore, LaMichael James.
A lot to prove (2): Jewel Hampton, Will Tukuafu.
Other (1): Trey Millard (knee, non-football injury list).
Explanation: Lattimore is fully expected to be on the 53-man roster, but because he’s coming off such a severe knee injury and there are so many unknowns before he takes his first hit, he cannot be considered an absolute lock at this point. James looked very steady fielding punts in the offseason, so his spot is looking much more secure than it appeared a month ago.
Last night on the FBG's Audible podcast, Cecil, Sig, and Dr. Jene, all weighed-in on RB Marcus Lattimore and they are begining to get concerned. Sig mentioned the surgeon who performed the surgery said something along the lines that he wasn't doing surgery to repair the knee but was doing surgery moreso just to get him back on the field.

Jun 26 2014
2014 Volume#75a - The Audible LIVE! - NFL News and Notes - 6/26/2014 (#2144)
In this episode: Cecil Lammey, Sigmund Bloom and Jene Bramel discuss the latest news and notes around the NFL. Topics Include - opportunity in the Dolphins backfield, should fantasy owners be concerned about LeVeon Bell and the low YPC he posted as a rookie last year, the upside of Jaguars RB Toby Gerhart, plus more!
Sig felt uneasy about that previous statement before the latest reports and he brought up a good point. He said the Niners were trying to see how much, if any, that Marcus could contribute on special teams because if he can't it would be another negative against him since they will have to carry a guy like LB Navarro Baughman who won't be able to contribute on teams and so any non-starter or fringe players will need to make special teams contributions just to make the final roster.

So Maiocco says both that Lattimore look's good on one hand but you cannot dismiss that he also did say he is not an absolute lock to make the final roster.

I'd say closely follow camp and how he's looking, if he takes time off or misses time and check how much, if any, he is contributing on special teams if he's not tearing it up and their is legitmate talk of him making the final roster.

I have to confess that I'm less optimistic on Lattimore. Not only due to these reports but I think Carlos Hyde would have to be seen as the long-term dysnasty play to take over for Gore at this point.

Matt Maiocco's entire RB take says the following where he clearly states Lattimore isn't a mortal lock to make the team as are, Gore, Miller, Hunter, and Hyde, but that he was 'looking' good:

Running backs (9)

Explanation: Lattimore is fully expected to be on the 53-man roster, but because hes coming off such a severe knee injury and there are so many unknowns before he takes his first hit, he cannot be considered an absolute lock at this point. James looked very steady fielding punts in the offseason, so his spot is looking much more secure than it appeared a month ago.
Last night on the FBG's Audible podcast, Cecil, Sig, and Dr. Jene, all weighed-in on RB Marcus Lattimore and they are begining to get concerned. Sig mentioned the surgeon who performed the surgery said something along the lines that he wasn't doing surgery to repair the knee but was doing surgery moreso just to get him back on the field.

Jun 26 2014

In this episode: Cecil Lammey, Sigmund Bloom and Jene Bramel discuss the latest news and notes around the NFL. Topics Include - opportunity in the Dolphins backfield, should fantasy owners be concerned about LeVeon Bell and the low YPC he posted as a rookie last year, the upside of Jaguars RB Toby Gerhart, plus more!
Sig felt uneasy about that previous statement before the latest reports and he brought up a good point. He said the Niners were trying to see how much, if any, that Marcus could contribute on special teams because if he can't it would be another negative against him since they will have to carry a guy like LB Navarro Baughman who won't be able to contribute on teams and so any non-starter or fringe players will need to make special teams contributions just to make the final roster.

So Maiocco says both that Lattimore look's good on one hand but you cannot dismiss that he also did say he is not an absolute lock to make the final roster.

I'd say closely follow camp and how he's looking, if he takes time off or misses time and check how much, if any, he is contributing on special teams if he's not tearing it up and their is legitmate talk of him making the final roster.

I have to confess that I'm less optimistic on Lattimore. Not only due to these reports but I think Carlos Hyde would have to be seen as the long-term dysnasty play to take over for Gore at this point.
I don't think the roster talk in of itself should generate too much concern about the knee. He's facing two established backs and a highly rated second round pick, plus SF had a great fullback they have to keep room open for. Of course there is going to be pressure on all those guys to justify keeping all of them around. Not being a "lock" here doesn't necessarily mean he's damaged goods.

Running backs (9)

Explanation: Lattimore is fully expected to be on the 53-man roster, but because hes coming off such a severe knee injury and there are so many unknowns before he takes his first hit, he cannot be considered an absolute lock at this point. James looked very steady fielding punts in the offseason, so his spot is looking much more secure than it appeared a month ago.

Jun 26 2014

I don't think the roster talk in of itself should generate too much concern about the knee. He's facing two established backs and a highly rated second round pick, plus SF had a great fullback they have to keep room open for. Of course there is going to be pressure on all those guys to justify keeping all of them around. Not being a "lock" here doesn't necessarily mean he's damaged goods.
I don't know how anyone views Lattimore as anything but damaged goods. He's the definition of the term. It's all a matter of how much of his former ability that he can recover.

Seeing that SF is investigating his ST capability is nothing but bad news to FF Lattimore owners. That indicates that SF might not consider his value to be a RB1, with the read-between-the-lines feeling being as possibly bad as SF is searching for some kind of reason to roster him this year.

I don't know how anyone views Lattimore as anything but damaged goods. He's the definition of the term. It's all a matter of how much of his former ability that he can recover.

Seeing that SF is investigating his ST capability is nothing but bad news to FF Lattimore owners. That indicates that SF might not consider his value to be a RB1, with the read-between-the-lines feeling being as possibly bad as SF is searching for some kind of reason to roster him this year.
I don't think they are investigating his ST capability- the blurb incorrectly said it was him, but the piece they quoted from said it was James who was handling the punt returns.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't think they are investigating his ST capability- the blurb incorrectly said it was him, but the piece they quoted from said it was James who was handling the punt returns.
Hey Humpback,

Don't want to confuse anyone so I want to clear up that point.

I mentioned that Sigmond Bloom mentioned the SF coaches were trying to see if Lattimore 'could' play on teams from last night's podcast. The linked article wasn't where that information came from.

Hey Humpback,Don't want to confuse anyone so I want to clear up that point.

I mentioned that Sigmond Bloom mentioned the SF coaches were trying to see if Lattimore 'could' play on teams from last night's podcast. The linked article wasn't where that information came from.
That was my understanding also.

Hey Humpback,

I haven't read anything about him on special teams anywhere besides speculation that he may have to try and contribute in order to make the roster, but that wasn't from anyone in the organization- have you seen anything?

Hey Humpback,

I haven't read anything about him on special teams anywhere besides speculation that he may have to try and contribute in order to make the roster, but that wasn't from anyone in the organization- have you seen anything?
Sigmond Bloom from last night's audible that I linked is my source so if Sig got it wrong or if you want to question his information then you should e-mail or tweet him or call him out in this post but I'm not about to research the information that Sig shared since I don't know his source but I haven't any reason to question him.

I will say if he's correct then I agree with BB that the SF coaches trying to fit Lattimore on ST isn't a positive.

This isn't making me feel good about Lattimore at all. I know he may had been sort of a reach pick due to the injuries, but I was hoping that he could had pulled a Gore type recovery.

Gore really came on in his second season though, so Lattimore still may have a chance next season. But it looks like another one of Baalke's reaches which is getting old.

This isn't making me feel good about Lattimore at all. I know he may had been sort of a reach pick due to the injuries, but I was hoping that he could had pulled a Gore type recovery.

Gore really came on in his second season though, so Lattimore still may have a chance next season. But it looks like another one of Baalke's reaches which is getting old.
Gore's injury wasn't even close to as serious as Lattimore's injury. I know it's easy to draw Gore comparisons cause they both play for the 49ers and both had big knee injuries in college. But Willis McGahee is a MUCH closer comp for Lattimore's situation than Gore. McGahee also tore all 3 ligaments in his knee. He sat out his first season just like Lattimore. He then went on to have 2 seasons of 1000+ rushing yards (more or less 3, his 3rd season was 990 in 14 games) then moved to Baltimore where he put up one more 1000 yard season before becoming the guy Ray Rice owners hated most by vulturing 25 TDs over the course of 3 seasons. Then he went to Denver and had another 1000+ yard season before more or less letting his career taper off.

So that's our hope for Lattimore and what do we really know? A lot of this could be coach speak, Lattimore could be looking fine in the private camp sessions. We won't really know until we see him on the field in preseason. Or should I say "if".

Hey Humpback,

Sigmond Bloom from last night's audible that I linked is my source so if Sig got it wrong or if you want to question his information then you should e-mail or tweet him or call him out in this post but I'm not about to research the information that Sig shared since I don't know his source but I haven't any reason to question him.

I will say if he's correct then I agree with BB that the SF coaches trying to fit Lattimore on ST isn't a positive.
Lol, it was just a question. I haven't heard anything about special teams for Lattimore, just curious if others have.

He is what he is at this point. He's healthy and he's either good enough to make the roster or he isn't. My only point is that all the backs on the roster are going to have to show something to stay on the 53. The backfield is so crowded at this point I won't be drafting any of their RBs this year fantasy wise. You're reading too much into this blurb if you think it signals anything about their 2015+ plans. In fact, having ST value might help Lattimore in terms of getting suited up for game days - if the race between him and Hyde is neck and neck in training camp, that could be a big advantage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gore's injury wasn't even close to as serious as Lattimore's injury. I know it's easy to draw Gore comparisons cause they both play for the 49ers and both had big knee injuries in college. But Willis McGahee is a MUCH closer comp for Lattimore's situation than Gore. McGahee also tore all 3 ligaments in his knee. He sat out his first season just like Lattimore. He then went on to have 2 seasons of 1000+ rushing yards (more or less 3, his 3rd season was 990 in 14 games) then moved to Baltimore where he put up one more 1000 yard season before becoming the guy Ray Rice owners hated most by vulturing 25 TDs over the course of 3 seasons. Then he went to Denver and had another 1000+ yard season before more or less letting his career taper off.

So that's our hope for Lattimore and what do we really know? A lot of this could be coach speak, Lattimore could be looking fine in the private camp sessions. We won't really know until we see him on the field in preseason. Or should I say "if".
:goodposting: and :thanks:

Users who are viewing this thread