What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (2 Viewers)

Great episode. I stated earlier that the show needed more long story arcs, and now we have several of them. Most artistic ventures have a peak period of about four or five years, so I am thinking that season 4 could be the height of their powers.

That shot where Betty sees Don and her possible lover in the same field of view was outstanding. She walks towards both of them, and you really don't know who she is going home with. That shot is the microcosm for this show and a shining example of why Mad Men is by far the best show on television.

I really don't get the Peggy/Duck Phillips story line. She's boning Duck Phillips of all people...for what reason? Makes no sense to me.
Peggy's had a couple one night stands with young men, but she doesn't seem interested in them. I think she wants an older, more intelligent man. So it makes sense to me given her actions in previous episodes.

I saw the last few minutes of a tv show called "Providence".

I barely remembered it. (What I recalled is that BJ Hunnicutt was the Dad).

It starred the tall Greek woman from "CSI: NY".

Jon Hamm was on it; I think he played her boyfriend, though I am not certain.

The only thing I have ever seen from him pre-"Mad Men".
Whoa! Easy on the details! No wonder they call you 'Encyclopedia'.

I honestly wouldn't be upset to see Betty's character retired from the show. I know they won't but she brings nothing to the table except hotness. I really don't think January Jones is that great an actress either.I had a hard time thinking Betty Draper would have gotten really choked up when JFK was shot. I am surprised she even stopped to watch it. Seemed out of character to me.And what's up with Sterling's daughter, she was a primadonna a couple of days before the wedding and then her wedding was a bust but she seemed okay with it?Duck is shady.
Maybe this isn't the right show for you.

Roger: "Peggy, get me some coffee"

Peggy: "No"

Awesome finale. But yea, the "rest of my life" line was a little off.

Now we get to speculate on the supporting cast (I guess Harry made the inner circle).

Now we get to speculate on the supporting cast (I guess Harry made the inner circle).
I'm going to guess that Ken and Paul will be heard from again. By the time the next season starts they may already be hired. :(Not sure about Sal though. He's still screwed since American Tobacco is still THE client.

great season finale
I was watching it not realizing it was the finale but wow, it sure did wrap things up well. Can't wait for next season. I hope Draper runs into Mr. Francis after throwing back an Old Fashioned or six.

I hope Draper runs into Mr. Francis after throwing back an Old Fashioned or six.
He's past it. As a wise man once said... it is what it is. Besides, philanderers waive their right to pass judgement on others.
Don would kick his ### for breaking up the family.
I don't think this is correct. I'm sure he'll run into Henry next year, and I can't imagine him not putting the blame at anyone else's door except Betty's, or his own.

I was wondering how they were going to get Joan back - absolutely fantastic. Interested to see what happens to Kinsey, Cosgrove and Sal. (I think they got less screen time this year due to show budget cuts. Wonder if they will be written out completely.) The loss of Cosgrove would not be that big a deal, but working Sal and Kinsey into the new operation would be interesting plot points due to the tobacco company and Kinsey's work relationship with Peggy.

And I think Don's priorities were pretty much spelled out when he worked harder to keep Peggy than he did Betty. But what happens when he finds out that Peggy is sleeping with Duck? Might hurt him more than finding out about Henry Francis?

I was wondering how they were going to get Joan back - absolutely fantastic. Interested to see what happens to Kinsey, Cosgrove and Sal. (I think they got less screen time this year due to show budget cuts. Wonder if they will be written out completely.) The loss of Cosgrove would not be that big a deal, but working Sal and Kinsey into the new operation would be interesting plot points due to the tobacco company and Kinsey's work relationship with Peggy.

And I think Don's priorities were pretty much spelled out when he worked harder to keep Peggy than he did Betty. But what happens when he finds out that Peggy is sleeping with Duck? Might hurt him more than finding out about Henry Francis?
The look on his face when he looked in her office and realized she'd been part of it was priceless.

I'm guessing (hoping) that Kinsey / Cosgrove / Sal were written out - neither of them really broke out, and it would be interesting to see some new faces / storylines.

We've seen all we need to see of Cosgrove and Kinsey - they basically weren't good enough to join the new firm. And Sal's fate is sealed, really - I don't think there's any way Don brings him back (Don's "you people" comment said a lot - he blamed Sal's homosexuality for almost losing an important account. This is after he sees Sal with another guy during that fire alarm. So basically, he sees "those people" as loose cannons. No way he wants him around now.) It was nice to see Joan return, though.

The show will probably fast forward a bit next year - they'll have a decent office, we'll see the core people and a few new faces to make it interesting, and Betty will be remarried (and hopefully regulated to a bit part - the Draper marriage / etc really started losing my attention after awhile - the agency stuff is so much better).

And Sal's fate is sealed, really - I don't think there's any way Don brings him back (Don's "you people" comment said a lot - he blamed Sal's homosexuality for almost losing an important account. This is after he sees Sal with another guy during that fire alarm. So basically, he sees "those people" as loose cannons. No way he wants him around now.)
Don couldn't bring Sal back if he wanted to. Lee Garner, the Lucky Strike heir and closeted homosexual rapist, ordered Sal to be fired. Lucky Strike is the client the new firm is hanging its hat on.

The look on his face when he looked in her office and realized she'd been part of it was priceless.
:pickle: This was sort of foreshadowed earlier in the season when Peggy pulled the Western Union idea out of the air while Kinsey struggled. Last night I was trying to remember anything Kinsey has done to distinguish himself. I don't remember any big campaigns he was successful on. The closest was the Jackie/Marilyn bra thing and the client didn't even want it.

Betty Draper is a dumb whore.
Well atleast Don agrees. :confused:
Great scene.Oh, and the one right before that with Don and Roger at the bar and Roger throws out the 'Henry Francis' line. Awesome acting there.
don + roger = $
:confused: I'm sure I mentioned it before but on one of the Season 1 DVDs there is an audio commentary with Hamm and Slattery. Hilarious.

Who Cares?!?
Says the guy who started a thread about Supertramp.Maybe this isn't the best thread for you, plenty of other threads out there, etc. etc.
stopyou're making a fool out of yourself here.
I've made a fool out of myself plenty of times on this board, but this isn't one of them.Run along.
Linky for the slow crowdLet's see condescending attitude, douchebaggy responses, snobby about Supertramp and all the while you just keeping digging a deeper and deeper hole of making a fool out of yourself.

Let us know when you get through season one...

no don't

Who Cares?!?
Says the guy who started a thread about Supertramp.Maybe this isn't the best thread for you, plenty of other threads out there, etc. etc.
stopyou're making a fool out of yourself here.
I've made a fool out of myself plenty of times on this board, but this isn't one of them.Run along.
Linky for the slow crowdLet's see condescending attitude, douchebaggy responses, snobby about Supertramp and all the while you just keeping digging a deeper and deeper hole of making a fool out of yourself.

Let us know when you get through season one...

no don't
You posted a two word quote from season 1, a common phrase in itself, in relation to no previously existing conversation. You didn't even post Don's line before, which is what sets up the funny. I could just post "I hate you" or "That doesn't make sense" in this thread, and it would be just as obtuse.I do apologize, as I didn't realize that you're apparently following along via DVD, presumably rented from the library, instead of watching along with the rest of us non-transients on basic cable. My bad.

Supertramp is still garbage. Sorry.

So assuming the show jumps 1-2 years. Who will Don be banging?
I don't think it's going to jump that far. Between season 2 and 3 it was something like less than 6 months maybe?ETA: To answer your question...anything and everything?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's going to jump that far. Between season 2 and 3 it was something like less than 6 months maybe?ETA: To answer your question...anything and everything?
Well, they have to establish a new office / business at least somewhat comparable to the old one (nobody wants to see them working out of a hotel room), so a year might not be a stretch. But that would mean missing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show, which would make for an interesting backdrop (heck just two months misses that).

Well, they have to establish a new office / business at least somewhat comparable to the old one (nobody wants to see them working out of a hotel room), so a year might not be a stretch. But that would mean missing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show, which would make for an interesting backdrop (heck just two months misses that).
Forget the backdrops. The Kennedy episode was the weakest show of the series.

Awesome finale. But yea, the "rest of my life" line was a little off.
I liked this line much better: :banned: "Because once this sale goes through, you'll be thrown overboard and you'll be a corpse knocking against their hull."

Well atleast Don agrees. :banned:
I don't see this at all. She sees the future where she gets older, maybe punches out another 1 or 2 kids then gets dumped by Don/**** for a trophy wife. Instead she chooses to become a trophy wife for a guy that's richer and much more powerful than Don. She's upgrading her social/economic status. He's also older so it's more likely she's the last trophy wife for him. Of course her new guy is headed for a really bad year.

I'm glad that fat #### Kinzey didn't make the cut, I hope it stays that way, he brings nothing to the table. I don't really like Harry Crane much either but of the two, Im glad it was Kinzey that could get written out.

Insomniac said:
IDrinkyourMilkshake said:
Well atleast Don agrees. :bow:
I don't see this at all. She sees the future where she gets older, maybe punches out another 1 or 2 kids then gets dumped by Don/**** for a trophy wife. Instead she chooses to become a trophy wife for a guy that's richer and much more powerful than Don. She's upgrading her social/economic status. He's also older so it's more likely she's the last trophy wife for him. Of course her new guy is headed for a really bad year.
Where do you get that Francis is richer and much more powerful? He's an advisor to the governor.

Jefferson the Caregiver said:
I'm glad that fat #### Kinzey didn't make the cut, I hope it stays that way, he brings nothing to the table. I don't really like Harry Crane much either but of the two, Im glad it was Kinzey that could get written out.
I like Kinsey. It's fun to watch his pretenious facade take a beating.

:hot: at the Chip 'n' Dip and Pete carrying his shot gun out of SC.

Why do they keep showing these 2 props? Is this some kinda inside joke or something?

:hot: at the Chip 'n' Dip and Pete carrying his shot gun out of SC. Why do they keep showing these 2 props? Is this some kinda inside joke or something?
I remember from one of the audio commentaries the Chip n' Dip actually belongs to somebody that works on the show...or their parents.

Insomniac said:
Well atleast Don agrees. :popcorn:
Where do you get that Francis is richer and much more powerful? He's an advisor to the governor.
Francis has been portrayed as a chief advisor to Nelson Rockefeller. I got the impression that he was portrayed as an advisor whose advise was followed. Are you unaware that Rockefeller was a leading candidate for the GOP Presidential nomination in 1964? Don/**** makes a lot of $ but he's not on the same economic/power level as an inner circle Rockefeller Republican (in 1963). Of course this is based on perception at the end of 1963. We know that the Rockefeller campaign will fail disastrously but Betty doesn't know that. Look at it from her viewpoint. If Rockefeller wins she's married to the White House Chief of Staff or something similar. Really the only question for 1964 is when her new man's dreams go down the tubes while Don's new business takes off does she dump Francis and crawl back to Don.

Insomniac said:
Well atleast Don agrees. :coffee:
Francis has been portrayed as a chief advisor to Nelson Rockefeller. I got the impression that he was portrayed as an advisor whose advise was followed. Are you unaware that Rockefeller was a leading candidate for the GOP Presidential nomination in 1964? Don/**** makes a lot of $ but he's not on the same economic/power level as an inner circle Rockefeller Republican (in 1963). Of course this is based on perception at the end of 1963. We know that the Rockefeller campaign will fail disastrously but Betty doesn't know that. Look at it from her viewpoint. If Rockefeller wins she's married to the White House Chief of Staff or something similar. Really the only question for 1964 is when her new man's dreams go down the tubes while Don's new business takes off does she dump Francis and crawl back to Don.
While it may be true, I don't think there's been any evidence of this on the show. Governors have lots of "advisors." Most are not rich. And most act more as a mouthpiece rather than a true advisor.Betty being worried about him being able to take care of the kids leads me to believe that she doesn't think he's rich either.

Users who are viewing this thread