What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (1 Viewer)

The Sally scene at the end was stupid and contrived.

WE know the importance of the scene. SHE doesnt. She is a messed up kid from a broken home who caught her dad cheating, but hey....she got to see the run down home he grew up in. What spoiled young teen wouldnt empathize with that?

A truer ending is her looking at him with contempt, setting up a final season of redemption.

The Sally scene at the end was stupid and contrived.

WE know the importance of the scene. SHE doesnt. She is a messed up kid from a broken home who caught her dad cheating, but hey....she got to see the run down home he grew up in. What spoiled young teen wouldnt empathize with that?

A truer ending is her looking at him with contempt, setting up a final season of redemption.
I think you're reading too much into how Sally looked at Don. We have little or no idea what she is actually thinking.

I think what disappointed me in the finale was that it just seemed too rushed and a bit disjointed. As usual, the show had a great pace throughout the season but then all the storylines were given this dramatic shift at the end. It probably should have been a two hour finale. Not their best season but still better than almost any other show on TV today. Besides Breaking Bad.

I think what disappointed me in the finale was that it just seemed too rushed and a bit disjointed. As usual, the show had a great pace throughout the season but then all the storylines were given this dramatic shift at the end.
I feel pretty much the exact opposite.

I think it's possible for a narrative to feel both true and narratively unsatisfying. And watching Don repeat many of the same mistakes of Season 4 in Season 6 felt that way to me. I understood it's truth. I understood the idea that Don quit just before the hard work in Season 4, and managed to slap a band aid over his problems with a new wife, but that didn't make watching Don begin to become a poorly functioning alcoholic, pathological liar, and philanderer again any more satisfying to watch.

I largely enjoyed the season because the staff is very good at making the set pieces work and because the actors are so good. But I did get the impression that the show tread some water this season. Because Don's journey doesn't necessarily match up with the decade of the 60s at all points.

That would be an even more cynical and unsatisfying ending than the Sopranos.

Having learned that he couldn't maintain one false facade, Don hits the reset button and assumes a new identity a second time. Real change is impossible and Don is committed to a life of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic over and over until he dies.

Having learned that he couldn't maintain one false facade, Don hits the reset button and assumes a new identity a second time. Real change is impossible and Don is committed to a life of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic over and over until he dies.
Setting aside the silly theory- which I posted because I thought it was amusing rather than likely to be accurate- isn't your post basically just one of the two possibilities? Either Don actually addresses some of his demons and becomes more comfortable in his own skin, or he doesn't. Regardless if how it actually ends, I always thought an ending where he continues to run and hide and we realize he'll never change is more likely than the happy ending where he grows and finds happiness somehow and all that. I know fans like Draper and are rooting for him, but this isn't really a show known for giving the people what they want.

Setting aside the silly theory- which I posted because I thought it was amusing rather than likely to be accurate- isn't your post basically just one of the two possibilities? Either Don actually addresses some of his demons and becomes more comfortable in his own skin, or he doesn't. Regardless if how it actually ends, I always thought an ending where he continues to run and hide and we realize he'll never change is more likely than the happy ending where he grows and finds happiness somehow and all that. I know fans like Draper and are rooting for him, but this isn't really a show known for giving the people what they want.
No. It's definitely a possibility (in the broad sense that Don is incapable of change). I've said before that I sincerely hope that Weiner doesn't pull a Sopranos. Not because I think either option is any more "true." But because I think that one option now feels cliche in the wake of the Sopranos.

I also think it would be doubly unsatisfying to watch Don fail to change again because of Season Four. No matter how valid the point is, I don't think we need to see it made over and over again for 90 episodes. They might as well have made Tomorrowland the series finale in that case.

How did Manuel know Pete's mom was going on the cruise?

Now that SC+Price has the Sunkist account are we going to see them come up with Charlie the Tuna?

If the show is set in the 1960s how come all the people aren't in black and white?

Now that SC+Price has the Sunkist account are we going to see them come up with Charlie the Tuna?

If the show is set in the 1960s how come all the people aren't in black and white?
When did Joan hire Bob Benson as her personal chef?

Did anyone notice that Pete's daughter never moved when he went to her bedside? I think he murdered her and that's why Trudi had that look on her face.

Also, who says Don's tremors were from alcohol withdrawal? I can clearly see Don getting ALS in the next season.

When did Joan hire Bob Benson as her personal chef?

Did anyone notice that Pete's daughter never moved when he went to her bedside? I think he murdered her and that's why Trudi had that look on her face.

Also, who says Don's tremors were from alcohol withdrawal? I can clearly see Don getting ALS in the next season.
:lmao:

Bill Simmons had Sepinwall and fellow TV critic Andy Greenwald on the latest BS Report podcast.

Greenwald crapped all over "Glen" (Matt Weiner's kid, incidentally) for being a terrible actor. :lol:

Bill Simmons had Sepinwall and fellow TV critic Andy Greenwald on the latest BS Report podcast.

Greenwald crapped all over "Glen" (Matt Weiner's kid, incidentally) for being a terrible actor. :lol:
Not a unique opinion, although I didn't really think he was that bad in the finale. The fact that he's Weiner's kid is probably most of the reason he's annoying.

What did Sepinwall claim, on the podcast, that he thought of the season as a whole? I don't read him.

What did Sepinwall claim, on the podcast, that he thought of the season as a whole? I don't read him.
Simmons was of the opinion that Weiner used this entire season to set up the final season, and he didn't care for that. Seppy liked the season just fine, with the exception of "The Crash"... the trippy episode where Dr. Feelgood gave out amphetamine shots.

Simmons was of the opinion that Weiner used this entire season to set up the final season, and he didn't care for that. Seppy liked the season just fine, with the exception of "The Crash"... the trippy episode where Dr. Feelgood gave out amphetamine shots.
Yeah, "The Crash" was a weird one. But because of that I would gave thought Sepinwall would have been falling all over himself about it. Simmons: lulz. Yes, that UNHEARD-OF phenomenon of using a penultimate chapter to set up the final one!!!! Outrageous!!!11

Yeah, "The Crash" was a weird one. But because of that I would gave thought Sepinwall would have been falling all over himself about it. Simmons: lulz. Yes, that UNHEARD-OF phenomenon of using a penultimate chapter to set up the final one!!!! Outrageous!!!11
Nah, he's cool with using a couple of episodes to set up a final season, but he's indignant about them punting the entire season.

Which I don't see at all, BTW. The worst season of Mad Men is still better than 98% of everything else out there.

Nah, he's cool with using a couple of episodes to set up a final season, but he's indignant about them punting the entire season.

Which I don't see at all, BTW. The worst season of Mad Men is still better than 98% of everything else out there.
Agreed, and I don't see it either. The only aspect of this season that didn't work for me (and it was significant) was the Sylvia nonsense. Now I remember that I lost a large degree of interest in ER because Cardellini just never developed any acting range. But even that drove Don's relationship with Sally into new territory and made me feel very sorry for Megan, so it wasn't a complete waste.

Hey, Dexter and True Blood are starting back up!

*lifts leg up and cuts disgusting fart in protest*
Heh. Yeah, not a fan of either. Falling Skies is good, though, and so is The Killing, particularly this season after its resurrection. Totally different genres from MM, of course, so mileage and all.

Users who are viewing this thread