What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Manager Shenanigans (1 Viewer)

Magnum83

Footballguy
I was playing the last place team this week for a bye. Guy hasn’t set his lineup in weeks. He’s playing two men down. Come 7pm I’m up 10. Got hurt by Higgins. Etc.

Going into Sunday night game opponent has Mike Williams on bench. Look up during game and guy starts him. 3rd place team admits he texted him to remind him to set lineup.

I lose game and bye. I am pissed. We have talked it out but damn. How would y’all respond?

I was playing the last place team this week for a bye. Guy hasn’t set his lineup in weeks. He’s playing two men down. Come 7pm I’m up 10. Got hurt by Higgins. Etc.

Going into Sunday night game opponent has Mike Williams on bench. Look up during game and guy starts him. 3rd place team admits he texted him to remind him to set lineup.

I lose game and bye. I am pissed. We have talked it out but damn. How would y’all respond?
I wouldn't. That 3rd place team SHOULD have done what he did.

3rd place team did what he should have done. What is wrong with reminding a guy to set his line up?

Sucks for you, but you (or someone else) probably should have texted him the other weeks he didn't set a line up.

If anything, it would be unfair if the guy benched starters and you got the bye because of it. You have zero gripes here.

It's considered unethical by the 3rd place team if he only notifies the absent owner in cases that help him, and ignores it in cases that would hurt him, but technically, didn't do anything wrong.

The owner that abandoned his team should be kicked out of the league.
I don't think this is unethical. Presumably if there are cases where notifying the absent owner hurts the 3rd place owner then it's benefitting some other people in the league and they should be tasked with notifying the person.

Kick the guy out who hasn't set a lineup in weeks

It's considered unethical by the 3rd place team if he only notifies the absent owner in cases that help him, and ignores it in cases that would hurt him, but technically, didn't do anything wrong.

Yeah, it's at worst a cut-throat move. At best, totally normal. Why would you not do that, in his shoes? I imagine you might be feeling like "Psh! If he can do that, why couldn't I tell the guy to set his lineup when he was playing all the other teams, so they wouldn't have gotten essentially free wins??? ... Oh wait, I could have."

I dont think it is unethical at all....Your job as an owner is to try to do what is best for your teams success. He did that. Its not like he logged into the deadbeat owner and changed his lineup. For the OP to post sour grapes about another owner actually posting a full lineup so he doesnt get a free win is imo poor form.

I imagine you might be feeling like "Psh! If he can do that, why couldn't I tell the guy to set his lineup when he was playing all the other teams, so they wouldn't have gotten essentially free wins??? ... Oh wait, I could have."
This.

It's not even a bad beat. Guy set his lineup, and beat someone, it's not fair because he didn't set his lineup last week? Ahh, no.

Just thought of it another way....what if 3rd place team played the non lineup dude earlier in the year when he WAS putting in a lineup. Is it fair for the other owner to get a bye because he happened to be playing mr no lineup setter later in the year when he became disinterested?

As far as him not setting a lineup, we kick people out of the league who dont actively try by setting a complete lineup. We finish the season but then move to replace them in the offseason so you may want to look at that as an option. You cant fault someone for finally submitting a valid lineup. Understandable you are pissed at the guy that texted him the reminder but arguably that should have happened weekly or the commish should have handled it.

I'll be honest. I do this whenever necessary. If I need a team to lose, I'm happy to reach out to their opponent and encourage them to set a valid lineup. It's not cheating, and they don't have to do it (sometimes they ignore the message because they're checked out). But I consider that to be totally above-board play.

If someone did it to me, I'd be annoyed, but only because I didn't get away with a free victory. Not because they did anything wrong.

Beat that third place team in the playoffs.

Other than that, move on - no big deal.

If other guy was fighting for a spot it's completely his right to text other guy.

I think you're in the wrong for not speaking up that the guy didn't set his lineup when he first started that ish. I've called out people who were playing against me who didn't set their lineups because I've got integrity.

MoP Story time...

-12 Man Doubles on 3 Tennis Courts like clockwork every Sat at 7:30am
-By 9:30am and occasionally even earlier you find many guys from our group sweaty, thirsty and popping beers up at the clubhouse, public courts so we're not technically suppose to bring outside beer on to the courts or up inside the clubhouse...(you bet your *** we do)

Because we have 12, sometimes we run short and so we have a Sub list with lots of names of guys that simply cannot commit every week but like to come sub for us when we are short 1 or 2 players. These regular spots do not come open often and I had to work hard to get into this group and am now right under the guy who organizes this, help him put the list together and make sure we have courts reserved, etc...

One of our newer members that kept bugging us to play until we let him start coming on Saturdays, he's a terrible line call judge, misses a lot of bad calls and basically the ball is in and he calls it out, gets old after a while and one night on a Tuesday Night League Match, I called him on it and requested for one of the staff to come out and officiate the rest of the match since it was getting very chippy and I didn't like the way this person was acting. Tennis is a gentleman's game and should be played as such.

After the match and being overturned on a couple of calls, he decides to tell the front office where we play that the Sat 7:30am crew is smuggling beer into the club and that we should all be reprimanded if not worse. I would never have known except I'm friends with almost all the staff, they know who I am and I stopped bringing beer on to the tennis courts quite a while ago. I was caught red handed after a league match on a Tuesday Night, I just wanted to pop one on the court for S&Gs and to feel alive.

The reason the staff told me is because this turkey has threatened them on other matters, this is their livelihood, they work for the city "Parks and Rec" and this kind of person is a nightmare. We didn't know he was such a bleeping bleep bleep until it was brought to our attention that he was working against us.

We are inviting 13 to the Tennis Courts this week, Rat doesn't know he is the 13th, one too many. We plan on putting him in the middle of the group as we surround him for a second and let him know he won't be playing tennis with us any more and he won't be invited back out on Saturday morning any time soon. Have a nice day, *****!

Your move Magnum

Last edited:
Seems like most people are saying this is totally OK but, I still disagree. Calling someone to tell them to set their lineup is basically managing their team by proxy. I don't like the inequity of certain people getting a tougher or easier game based on whether a third party wanted them to lose or not.

I much prefer something more unilateral - like, if a team hasn't fielded a full lineup, the commish is obliged to set their lineup based on (yahoo/cbs/espn) projections. Self-interested players playing commish doesn't sit right

Last edited:

I would thank the manager who reminded him, because all of my leagues have penalties for teams that don’t set a lineup.

As for your situation, tough break, but you should want to win honorably, and all’s fair in love and war for the snitch who dimed you out - he saw an opportunity to help himself by sending a simple text.

Nothing against any rule I’ve ever heard of to do that, unless he Venmo’d him a fin to do it. :shrug:

I wouldn't. That 3rd place team SHOULD have done what he did.
Exactly. 100%

Any shark would.

Eh. Ethical, unethical - this one is a serious gray area.

The Commish should be reminding the terrible owner to set his damn lineup though for sure.

And yes, he should be booted to Mars for that & replaced with a better manager.

Yeah, it's at worst a cut-throat move. At best, totally normal. Why would you not do that, in his shoes? I imagine you might be feeling like "Psh! If he can do that, why couldn't I tell the guy to set his lineup when he was playing all the other teams, so they wouldn't have gotten essentially free wins??? ... Oh wait, I could have."
Not gonna lie, I’ve totally done it.

“Hey, Not gonna tell you your business, and I know you’re out of the playoffs, but it’d be cool if you could put up your best effort this week - I can use all the help I can get & you’re playing my division-mate”

Zero ethical concerns on my part over this. Just asking a dude to set his lineup, as he should anyway.

Not gonna lie, I’ve totally done it.

“Hey, Not gonna tell you your business, and I know you’re out of the playoffs, but it’d be cool if you could put up your best effort this week - I can use all the help I can get & you’re playing my division-mate”

Zero ethical concerns on my part over this. Just asking a dude to set his lineup, as he should anyway.
I've had the "kick X's *** for me so I can get into the playoffs" convo with a league mate before. That's sporting.

much prefer something more unilateral - like, if a team hasn't fielded a full lineup, the commish is obliged to set their lineup based on (yahoo/cbs/espn) projections. Self-interested players playing commish doesn't sit right
I wonder if there are leagues where some sort of auto lineup could be the default until the owner changes it to his own preference. Sort of like auto draft on a week by week basis. This would make it easier on everyone.

Seems like most people are saying this is totally OK but, I still disagree. Calling someone to tell them to set their lineup is basically managing their team by proxy. I don't like the inequity of certain people getting a tougher or easier game based on whether a third party wanted them to lose or not.

I much prefer something more unilateral - like, if a team hasn't fielded a full lineup, the commish is obliged to set their lineup based on (yahoo/cbs/espn) projections. Self-interested players playing commish doesn't sit right
As a long time commissioner, I can’t agree with this. It’s a thankless job already as is. No thanks!

Reminding someone to set their lineups is a good league mate in my book.

Lols... Thanks for sharing. For my team to advance, I needed the third place team to lose this week. The team they were facing hadn't set their lineup yet on Wed.. I was contemplating reaching out. My level of anxiety dropped noticeably when they did set their lineup.

I'm with the majority opinion here. Dude not setting lineup should get a different hobby. Dude who notified "person with a life outside of ff" is not in the wrong.

I've been more grumbly this year about guys who are tanking in dynasty and making my firsts less valuable. But every time I've checked, these folks are mostly setting their lineups to very-close-to optimal so nothing to get too worked up about. Turns out there are teams that just suck worse than I thought they did when I made my initial assessment of where those picks would land. I'll be happy when Bijan is helping them beat my competition once I can field a more competitive team. I guess??? lol. I offered one guy that didn't have an RB to start a few weeks ago McKinnon for a 4th rounder. "No thanks, I'm looking for younger players" Can't force him to abandon his Bijan or bust strategy.

As a long time commissioner, I can’t agree with this. It’s a thankless job already as is. No thanks!

Yeah I'm not touching line-ups during a season unless asked to do so by an owner who is truly offline for some reason. Most commissioners are also managers and it's only a matter of time before a "hands on" policy leads to a move someone perceives to be inconsistent or a conflict of interest.

any decent league can't have incomplete lineups. commish needs to solve for this whether it's as simple as email to the league, or penalties, or booting someone from the league if recurring problem.

As a long time commissioner myself, I tend to agree with @Army Eye . Without knowing any of the people in that league, the 3rd place team may have only notified the team because it was in the 3rd place team's best interest. Perhaps if was another team with the lineup issue, the 3rd place team may not have reached out. I think this is where the commissioner should be the arbitrator, assuming he/she can be fair and impartial (which any good commissioner should be).

Crazy talk. It's a weekly event for 14 weeks. This was only done in an owners self interest. To be clear, I don't care that it was done - but it's not the actions of a good league mate to only do it when in his self interest

Is there an official term for dumping a roster after not making the playoffs? Got a guy in the league (not dynasty) who flips his good players for scrubs once he's in the loser bracket. Has a full roster but obviously one that won't compete.

Crazy talk. It's a weekly event for 14 weeks. This was only done in an owners self interest. To be clear, I don't care that it was done - but it's not the actions of a good league mate to only do it when in his self interest
Along the lines of my point above. I'm guessing most owners would not have reached out earlier in the season when the playoffs were still TBD.

Along the lines of my point above. I'm guessing most owners would not have reached out earlier in the season when the playoffs were still TBD.
Are you suggesting that a commissioner should check all lineups prior to kick off, every week? I play in too many leagues to entertain such an idea. I would give up my commissioner role if that were the case.

I disagree that someone wouldn’t remind someone earlier in the season. It was quite possibly done with very few owners knowing about it.

I wouldn’t want guys in my league that think this is a bad thing or would want to create a headache for the commissioner over this.

Perhaps he didn't notice it until the past week?
Do you look over every teams lineup every week in every league you are in?

This is where I stand. We had a similar situation in my league too where the guy ONLY complained when it directly affected him, otherwise he was as silent as a church mouse. However, in my league he went one step further and also emailed the Commish talking about "the integrity of the league" despite not saying a word when it didn't affect him. We have rules in place to handle such scenarios and the rules were put in place so the Commish DID NOT have to police everyone's roster 24/7. The commish is not allowed to change rosters for any team but the owner's league membership will be put under review instead.

So I call BS on this guy. If he cared then he would be complaining ALL of the time, not just when it affected him. IMO, he's wrong for doing it but didn't really break any rules. But it's a **** move.

You wanted to win that way?

Users who are viewing this thread