What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Manager Shenanigans (1 Viewer)

Seems like most people are saying this is totally OK but, I still disagree. Calling someone to tell them to set their lineup is basically managing their team by proxy. I don't like the inequity of certain people getting a tougher or easier game based on whether a third party wanted them to lose or not.

I much prefer something more unilateral - like, if a team hasn't fielded a full lineup, the commish is obliged to set their lineup based on (yahoo/cbs/espn) projections. Self-interested players playing commish doesn't sit right
This is where I stand. We had a similar situation in my league too where the guy ONLY complained when it directly affected him, otherwise he was as silent as a church mouse. However, in my league he went one step further and also emailed the Commish talking about "the integrity of the league" despite not saying a word when it didn't affect him. We have rules in place to handle such scenarios and the rules were put in place so the Commish DID NOT have to police everyone's roster 24/7. The commish is not allowed to change rosters for any team but the owner's league membership will be put under review instead.

So I call BS on this guy. If he cared then he would be complaining ALL of the time, not just when it affected him. IMO, he's wrong for doing it but didn't really break any rules. But it's a **** move.
right..... let me ask you this. Why should the guy sit silent and watch a team that he played earlier in the schedule while he WAS setting a lineup in a fair game have to potentially miss out on a bye week just because he played the guy earlier instead of now when he isnt starting a lineup? His job is to protect his own interest....it is the essence of FF....12 guys doing what they can within the rules to try to win a championship. Is it his job to police the league and watch to make sure everybody is setting a lineup every week? If anything that is the commishs job not his. (I get the commish not setting lineups because that is one serious slippery slope no commish wants to be in when things backfire. ( for example if a commish were to put in Kelce for a team this past week and took out Engram.... just an example) Im assuming the commish CAN change a teams lineup by rule when they dont have computer access but call the commish to make changes correct????
Nope. We have a rule that explicitly forbids a commish changing lineups because the Commish himself might have a bias.

I understand where you are coming from and I appreciate the response. I just disagree. You're either for the integrity of the league or you aren't, IMO. There is no middle ground.

I was playing the last place team this week for a bye. Guy hasn’t set his lineup in weeks. He’s playing two men down. Come 7pm I’m up 10. Got hurt by Higgins. Etc.

Going into Sunday night game opponent has Mike Williams on bench. Look up during game and guy starts him. 3rd place team admits he texted him to remind him to set lineup.

I lose game and bye. I am pissed. We have talked it out but damn. How would y’all respond?
You wanted to win that way?
Who cares? A win is a win.

Part of my strategy every year is banking on other owners making foolish moves during the draft. Is it now my responsibility to consult other owner's pre-draft to make sure they have winning strategies just so I can avoid the "Do you really want to win that way" question?
wait....you went from "So I call BS on this guy. If he cared then he would be complaining ALL of the time, not just when it affected him. IMO, he's wrong for doing it but didn't really break any rules. But it's a **** move." to "Who cares a win is a win" ? Seems pretty hypocritical to on the one hand say it was a **** move for the other guy to try to get a fair shake by notifying the other owner but for the guy getting the free win.... "who cares a win is a win" How about this for an idea..... If ethics DO mean something to you to avoid the **** move as you called it how about the OP let the dead beat team he would like him to set a lineup so that he WOULDNT get a free win..... Cant have it both ways imo......
Uhm...no. It's not hypocritical at all, in my view.

We had a guy go apeshit one time and drop his whole team to the wire over this. He was fighting for a playoff spot and was facing the league doormat who hadn't swapped out two bye week guys. 15 minutes before kickoff the commish manually set the guy's lineup with two highest bench projections. Commish claimed that he'd tried to contact doormat for several hours about it and got no response, so he used executive power. Dude fighting for playoff spot lost the match, lost out on the playoffs, went ballistic in chat about how the league conspired to keep him out, cited three other instances where someone started a bye or injuried player without commish interference, dropped all his players and peaced out.

And this is why in the league that I commish, I don't set anyone else's lineup unless they ask me to specifically. If youre the perfect on-time commish who dutifully checks every lineup on Thursday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday for compliance, then sure go for it but all it takes is one miss and then it looks like you're playing favorites.
Yep, this is EXACTLY my point.

The Commish himself may have a bias, especially if doormat team is playing someone in his division or fighting for the same playoff spot.

That, IMO, is it touch over the line. Unless the league constitution, explicitly states that the commissioner will be doing this, then that is the commissioner putting his thumb on the scale
Yep. If he is doing it every week, making sure people are setting lineup, cool.
If he arbitrarily picks a week to do it, that's bad news

We had a guy go apeshit one time and drop his whole team to the wire over this. He was fighting for a playoff spot and was facing the league doormat who hadn't swapped out two bye week guys. 15 minutes before kickoff the commish manually set the guy's lineup with two highest bench projections. Commish claimed that he'd tried to contact doormat for several hours about it and got no response, so he used executive power. Dude fighting for playoff spot lost the match, lost out on the playoffs, went ballistic in chat about how the league conspired to keep him out, cited three other instances where someone started a bye or injuried player without commish interference, dropped all his players and peaced out.

And this is why in the league that I commish, I don't set anyone else's lineup unless they ask me to specifically. If youre the perfect on-time commish who dutifully checks every lineup on Thursday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday for compliance, then sure go for it but all it takes is one miss and then it looks like you're playing favorites.
Commish was totally out of line and dude had every right to be upset. Dropping all your players is extreme on the way out but a totally useless move since all that is easily reversed.

The Commish himself may have a bias, especially if doormat team is playing someone in his division or fighting for the same playoff spot.
It is human nature for someone to root for and against other teams based on their experience in the league BUT the second he does anything to act on one of those biases is the second he should cease to be the commish.

It is human nature for someone to root for and against other teams based on their experience in the league BUT

???

Not starting a thread - would you fell different regarding unsolicited advice telling an owner who to start or pick up?
No, I wouldn't. Unsolicited advice, IMO, is a form of collusion. Not saying it's actually collusion, but feels collusion-like. Unless you're offering unsolicited advice to EVERY team in the league, EVERY week and with the same frequency.

If someone asked, that would be a different story OR, in the case above, where one poster was helping out a young/new guy.

It is human nature for someone to root for and against other teams based on their experience in the league BUT the second he does anything to act on one of those biases is the second he should cease to be the commish.
Which is why setting lineups for other teams is verboten. We're removing the option for it to be a problem to begin with.

The penalty in our league is membership review w/possibility of being ejected from the league altogether if enough owners vote on it.

Last edited:
Seems like most people are saying this is totally OK but, I still disagree. Calling someone to tell them to set their lineup is basically managing their team by proxy. I don't like the inequity of certain people getting a tougher or easier game based on whether a third party wanted them to lose or not.

I much prefer something more unilateral - like, if a team hasn't fielded a full lineup, the commish is obliged to set their lineup based on (yahoo/cbs/espn) projections. Self-interested players playing commish doesn't sit right
This is where I stand. We had a similar situation in my league too where the guy ONLY complained when it directly affected him, otherwise he was as silent as a church mouse. However, in my league he went one step further and also emailed the Commish talking about "the integrity of the league" despite not saying a word when it didn't affect him. We have rules in place to handle such scenarios and the rules were put in place so the Commish DID NOT have to police everyone's roster 24/7. The commish is not allowed to change rosters for any team but the owner's league membership will be put under review instead.

So I call BS on this guy. If he cared then he would be complaining ALL of the time, not just when it affected him. IMO, he's wrong for doing it but didn't really break any rules. But it's a **** move.
right..... let me ask you this. Why should the guy sit silent and watch a team that he played earlier in the schedule while he WAS setting a lineup in a fair game have to potentially miss out on a bye week just because he played the guy earlier instead of now when he isnt starting a lineup? His job is to protect his own interest....it is the essence of FF....12 guys doing what they can within the rules to try to win a championship. Is it his job to police the league and watch to make sure everybody is setting a lineup every week? If anything that is the commishs job not his. (I get the commish not setting lineups because that is one serious slippery slope no commish wants to be in when things backfire. ( for example if a commish were to put in
Kelce
for a team this past week and took out
Engram
.... just an example) Im assuming the commish CAN change a teams lineup by rule when they dont have computer access but call the commish to make changes correct????
Nope. We have a rule that explicitly forbids a commish changing lineups because the Commish himself might have a bias.

I understand where you are coming from and I appreciate the response. I just disagree. You're either for the integrity of the league or you aren't, IMO. There is no middle ground

It is human nature for someone to root for and against other teams based on their experience in the league BUT

???
Yeah I accidently hit the enter button too soon......I edited in statement after BUT lol

I was playing the last place team this week for a bye. Guy hasn’t set his lineup in weeks. He’s playing two men down. Come 7pm I’m up 10. Got hurt by Higgins. Etc.

Going into Sunday night game opponent has Mike Williams on bench. Look up during game and guy starts him. 3rd place team admits he texted him to remind him to set lineup.

I lose game and bye. I am pissed. We have talked it out but damn. How would y’all respond?

Part of my strategy every year is banking on other owners making foolish moves during the draft. Is it now my responsibility to consult other owner's pre-draft to make sure they have winning strategies just so I can avoid the "Do you really want to win that way" question?
wait....you went from "So I call BS on this guy. If he cared then he would be complaining ALL of the time, not just when it affected him. IMO, he's wrong for doing it but didn't really break any rules. But it's a **** move." to "Who cares a win is a win" ? Seems pretty hypocritical to on the one hand say it was a **** move for the other guy to try to get a fair shake by notifying the other owner but for the guy getting the free win.... "who cares a win is a win" How about this for an idea..... If ethics DO mean something to you to avoid the **** move as you called it how about the OP let the dead beat team he would like him to set a lineup so that he WOULDNT get a free win..... Cant have it both ways imo......
You went from ethics and a **** move when player B is just trying to get a fair shake to " a wins a win" when dude A is getting a free win ..... back to ethics ethics ethics. Why does Player B have to sit tight and take it under your view of ethics whereas player A gets the ....hey a win is a win treatment? that is the part that is hypocritical...... If ethics mean that much to you that you say Player B did something wrong (and I DO understand that view) THEN player A cant just sit there and get the free win Knowing full well the guy has an incomplete lineup can he? cause... "hey a wins a win"? Thats the part I find hypocritical.... (ok hypocritical is a harsh word) how about totally inconsistent? in your logic. I guess I just dont understand how trying to get a fair shake can possibly be less ethical than sitting back, ignoring the fact that the other team is playing 2 men short, and getting a free win. Personally I dont want to win like that and have numerous times in the past alerted or at least tried to alert other teams I am playing of an issue.

You went from ethics and a **** move when player B is just trying to get a fair shake to " a wins a win" when dude A is getting a free win ..... back to ethics ethics ethics. Why does Player B have to sit tight and take it under your view of ethics whereas player A gets the ....hey a win is a win treatment? that is the part that is hypocritical...... If ethics mean that much to you that you say Player B did something wrong (and I DO understand that view) THEN player A cant just sit there and get the free win Knowing full well the guy has an incomplete lineup can he? cause... "hey a wins a win"? Thats the part I find hypocritical.... (ok hypocritical is a harsh word) how about totally inconsistent? in your logic. I guess I just dont understand how trying to get a fair shake can possibly be less ethical than sitting back, ignoring the fact that the other team is playing 2 men short, and getting a free win. Personally I dont want to win like that and have numerous times in the past alerted or at least tried to alert other teams I am playing of an issue.

In my case the owner was complaining about the integrity of the league but only complained when it affected him directly.

But for the scenario we're talking about here there is ZERO interference from the Commish but interference from the complaining team. The integrity in all this lies in NOT interfering. The league only interferes by booting the owner out and replacing him, IMO.

Last edited:
Commissioner righteousness is just flying off the rails in this thread
This thread jumped into the stratospheres for penalties, fines and "in my league"

One of the most entertaining threads we have had all season and happy to have left one of my more colorful posts in a while
I implore everyone to do what most have in here, give your take and don't be offended by others' POV, it allows for more free flow of humor
Something we could all use a little more of.

I thought this was a great question and should not have been the basis of a back n forth with you and Blade but...
-What if the 1 word answer had been "Yes!"?
I would have accepted that answer and I'm in no way saying I wouldn't have accepted a win in that way - but at the same time its more fun to me (and important to the league) for everyone to be on a level playing field. I'd rather beat some one straight up then a line-up missing 2 players. If the OP would rather just take the win, that's his choice and I wouldn't have pushed back on him.
I believe you
I know you to be a person of principles
Your style doesn't change from one post to the next

-I don't want to paint us as the same because we are very different but I kind of understand this, not just the bolded part, I like what you wrote after

-Every Sunday Morning around 11:30 when the inactive list is announced and a star that was questionable is suddenly inactive, we have a group text for the entire league on our phones and if I don't send the text then one of several others will text out "Player A-Inactive". Is that influencing the league in a negative way?

I'm getting closer and closer to 50 and I'm on the younger side of some of these 2 and 3 decade long leagues at this point, we all know each other pretty well and there doesn't seem to be any animosity out of helping everyone because like you, I want to win fairly. I also understand why some would argue that roster management and game day rosters are. a big part of the game.
I think the OP had a point, a good point in fact. But I also think most of the posters in here feel like that situation would not pop up in their leagues because they have safeguards already in place to stop it.

He basically said he was out so he didn’t care/want to spend $4 for an add/drop. :doh: And he still had the late games to take action, which he didn’t do.
We don't charge enough for transactions
:lol:
We took a vote to see if we wanted to switch to a higher league entry fee, and it was unanimous to keep the transaction fees.

I know this varies league to league, but with an IDP league, there are a *lot* of transactions. Players under-perform, IDP-ers get injured at a higher rate than offensive players (typically), and the transaction fees often add up to a similar amount as the league entry. And some managers get super lucky & spend almost nothing extra, while other managers get super unlucky & spend a fortune. Then there are a few who are compulsive roster churners, always looking for that next WW bargain. we get 5x free moves, but after that, yeah - $4 a pop.

I understand some folks hate add/drop fees - I respect your preference - every time I mention fees, I usually get a ration of grief, so I'll just say each to their own.
:)

What a world we live in. An obvious good and smart decision is also viewed by some as being a d##k move
It was a d##k move because he only said something when it directly affected him. He didn't give two beans about previous games with other teams where the lineup wasn't set.
Why should he? Why should he care more than the other teams those games directly affected?
D##k move, lol

What a world we live in. An obvious good and smart decision is also viewed by some as being a d##k move
It was a d##k move because he only said something when it directly affected him. He didn't give two beans about previous games with other teams where the lineup wasn't set.
Why should he? Why should he care more than the other teams those games directly affected?
D##k move, lol
You mad, bro?

If he cares about the integrity of the league then he needs to care ALL of the time, not just when it suits him.

D##k move, lol
You mad, bro?

If he cares about the integrity of the league then he needs to care ALL of the time, not just when it suits him.
Once again, it’s not his job to care. Ever.

It’s the commish’s job.

His action as a 1-time self-serving deal is fine: ethically, morally, and “integrity”-wise.

He is under zero obligation to ever reach out to anyone to advise them that they have an illegal lineup.

He chose to do it this time to help himself. That’s called “shrewd management”. It was a shark move, and I totally respect it. He saw a big picture opportunity to help his own chances by attempting to legally influence another team (by making a suggestion or request) and it worked.

Brilliant. 5 stars. Would recommend for others.

FFPC has this rule, and I've seen them enforce it several times after the games have started.

The FFPC Dynasty League Commissioner may (but is not required to) alter a lineup for any team where a starting lineup is submitted with players who are inactive as a result of being on a Bye Week, on suspension, or on their NFL team’s I.R. list. Lineups may also be changed if a very low-ranked player is started over a consensus top player, or for whatever reason if the commissioner sees that the original lineup lessens the competitiveness of the team in question. Tanking in the form of not doing waivers, not moving Injured Reserve players to FFPC IR, and picking up low-quality players to minimize one’s score is also prohibited. FFPC Dynasty League Commissioner has the final discretion on all lineup changes.
What a horrible set of rules governing the commish. May but doesnt have to? Can change players if low ranked player? tanking by not doing waivers? Might as well have a 12 team league with the commish running all 12 teams.

FFPC has this rule, and I've seen them enforce it several times after the games have started.

The FFPC Dynasty League Commissioner may (but is not required to) alter a lineup for any team where a starting lineup is submitted with players who are inactive as a result of being on a Bye Week, on suspension, or on their NFL team’s I.R. list. Lineups may also be changed if a very low-ranked player is started over a consensus top player, or for whatever reason if the commissioner sees that the original lineup lessens the competitiveness of the team in question. Tanking in the form of not doing waivers, not moving Injured Reserve players to FFPC IR, and picking up low-quality players to minimize one’s score is also prohibited. FFPC Dynasty League Commissioner has the final discretion on all lineup changes.
What a horrible set of rules governing the commish. May but doesnt have to? Can change players if low ranked player? tanking by not doing waivers? Might as well have a 12 team league with the commish running all 12 teams.
It works very well and has for a decade

D##k move, lol
You mad, bro?

Lol

D##k move, lol
You mad, bro?

Once again, it’s not his job to care. Ever.

It’s the commish’s job.

His action as a 1-time self-serving deal is fine: ethically, morally, and “integrity”-wise.

He is under zero obligation to ever reach out to anyone to advise them that they have an illegal lineup.

He chose to do it this time to help himself. That’s called “shrewd management”. It was a shark move, and I totally respect it. He saw a big picture opportunity to help his own chances by attempting to legally influence another team (by making a suggestion or request) and it worked.

Brilliant. 5 stars. Would recommend for others.

I respectfully disagree. But that's okay. :thumbup:

Take your loss like a man and stop whining
To be fair to the OP....he has stopped whining and isnt defending his initial reaction and post. I give him credit for taking the criticism and not deleting the thread. It is an interesting topic and FF dilema....Many of which arise in this sport.
Yeah. I was pretty much over it when I posted but wanted to hear some feedback to calibrate my thinking, which has turned into some good discussion on really how to handle teams not setting their lineups. Maybe we need a penalty of some kinda. It’s an auction keeper league so maybe taking away auction dollars.

Take your loss like a man and stop whining
To be fair to the OP....he has stopped whining and isnt defending his initial reaction and post. I give him credit for taking the criticism and not deleting the thread. It is an interesting topic and FF dilema....Many of which arise in this sport.
Yeah. I was pretty much over it when I posted but wanted to hear some feedback to calibrate my thinking, which has turned into some good discussion on really how to handle teams not setting their lineups. Maybe we need a penalty of some kinda. It’s an auction keeper league so maybe taking away auction dollars.
Can we work on this avatar since you have one of the better login handles with Magnum 83, can we at least get a Tom Selleck sitting in the Red Ferrari? This blank M is not up to code

Users who are viewing this thread