What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Manning updates? Lotta rumors swirling (1 Viewer)

this is a problem whether people want to admit it or not.

He hasn't even practice yet? there first game is in less than 3 weeks!!!
Well it is week 5 of a 4-6 week recovery period. I am not saying he is in good shape, but so far he is not necessarily behind schedule here.

This is kind of a vague report, but its the most recent thing I picked up off the Hotwire this afternoon. Here's the blurb saying Dungy reportedly stated that Manning may begin practicing next week.

Colts | Manning could start practicing next week

Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:44:19 -0700

The Associated Press reports Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy said QB Peyton Manning (knee) could begin practicing next week.

Paranoid Indy homer here. Don't like the sound of this (from an Indy Star article about the expected return of Sanders and Freeny):

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...369/1004/SPORTS

"Manning has not been made available to media since a conference call July 24. His annual celebrity bowling event that benefits the PeyBack Foundation was Monday night, and for the first time the media was not allowed in."
I don't like the idea that they are keeping the injury so under wraps that they won't even allow the media in to his annual children's charity event!It does go on to quote Dungy saying "He's doing fine. He hasn't had any setbacks and is doing well" and hopes he will practice next week. However, this can't be good news right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Professor S said:
Paranoid Indy homer here. Don't like the sound of this (from an Indy Star article about the expected return of Sanders and Freeny):

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...369/1004/SPORTS

"Manning has not been made available to media since a conference call July 24. His annual celebrity bowling event that benefits the PeyBack Foundation was Monday night, and for the first time the media was not allowed in."
I don't like the idea that they are keeping the injury so under wraps that they won't even allow the media in to his annual children's charity event!It does go on to quote Dungy saying "He's doing fine. He hasn't had any setbacks and is doing well" and hopes he will practice next week. However, this can't be good news right?
What I noticed about all of this yesterday is that while Dungy "says" he "hopes" Manning will practice next week, Manning was not listed along with Freeney and Sanders as being "expected" to return to practice next week.

Tracking. Manning appeared on the field for their first practice at Lucas Oil Stadium but is not expected to practice. At least he has been sighted in public. No word on whether he was limping in the article.

Indystar.com

The Indianapolis Colts are in the house -- including Peyton Manning.

The Colts wandered out onto the Lucas Oil Stadium field shortly after 10 this morning for their first practice at the new, $720 million stadium. Among them, in somewhat of a surprise, was Manning, the quarterback and two-time league MVP who underwent surgery to repair an infected bursa sac on his left knee on July 14.

Manning, however, wasn't expected to practice.

Tracking. Manning appeared on the field for their first practice at Lucas Oil Stadium but is not expected to practice. At least he has been sighted in public. No word on whether he was limping in the article.

Indystar.com

The Indianapolis Colts are in the house -- including Peyton Manning.

The Colts wandered out onto the Lucas Oil Stadium field shortly after 10 this morning for their first practice at the new, $720 million stadium. Among them, in somewhat of a surprise, was Manning, the quarterback and two-time league MVP who underwent surgery to repair an infected bursa sac on his left knee on July 14.

Manning, however, wasn't expected to practice.
Should be interesting to see what kind of reports come from this.

From a Raleigh, NC news station... an AP news report:

INDIANAPOLIS — Peyton Manning has attended his first practice with the Indianapolis Colts since he had knee surgery just over five weeks ago.

Manning accompanied the Colts to their first practice session at the new Lucas Oil Stadium on Tuesday. He wore a team jersey and shorts, with an elastic band around his left knee.

He appeared to walk without much problem. Manning had surgery July 14 to remove an infected bursa sac.

Manning didn't wear pads and didn't warm up with his teammates before the practice session.

Coach Tony Dungy said Monday that Manning might begin practice next week.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.

http://www.wral.com/sports/football/nfl/story/3399839/

INDIANAPOLIS — Peyton Manning has attended his first practice with the Indianapolis Colts since he had knee surgery just over five weeks ago.

Manning accompanied the Colts to their first practice session at the new Lucas Oil Stadium on Tuesday. He wore a team jersey and shorts, with an elastic band around his left knee.

He appeared to walk without much problem. Manning had surgery July 14 to remove an infected bursa sac.

Manning didn't wear pads and didn't warm up with his teammates before the practice session.

So he is walking without much problem? That is a serious red flag in my opinion.

So he is walking without much problem? That is a serious red flag in my opinion.
You are reading too much into the media.

A few quotes from today's Manning face-to-face press conference (Aug. 19) in Indianapolis:

“I’m doing OK. I’ve had a tough month. It’s really been a challenge for me. Certainly, something totally different than I’ve ever experienced. Constant rehab. Just countless hours. Multiple sessions with our physical therapist, Erin Barill is his name. He’s been great. He’s the guy that’s really responsible for getting (defensive end) Dwight Freeney back and (safety Bob) Sanders back,” Manning said during his first face-to-face meeting with the team’s media since early June.

“First time that I’ve really had to deal with him on this consistent basis. I’ve certainly had injuries before, but he and I have gotten pretty close. He’s been fantastic. He’s really pushed me. It’s just a constant, every-day process. Just kind of day-to-day goals, trying to accomplish something different each day. That’s kind of where we are at this point.”

The two-time NFL Most Valuable Player admits that the month-long rehabilitation period has not been without its low moments. Still, he hopes to be ready to play against the Bears. That continues to be his primary objective.

“Certainly, it has not been a pain-free process. I’d be lying if I said that,” Manning pointed out. “That is my goal, to be ready for that first game. But at this point, like I said, Erin and I are the ones sort of dealing with it every single day. The doctors come every four or five days and sort of look at it. But Erin and I are the ones kind of doing it every single day. He and I kind of have goals each day, as far as what we want to accomplish. Certainly, that is our goal. And it has been my goal all along. But we’ll have to hope that (his rehab) continues to progress up to that point.

“It’s been a challenge. But I feel so far Erin and I have faced up to it and realized this is what we need to get done today. I’ve been able to combine my film study in. Terre Haute was great because I was able to watch the films (of practice) in my room. I was able to go to some meetings, but I did put the rehab ahead of everything. I feel mentally I’ve been able to stay into it. But from coach’s orders, they’ve allowed me to put my rehab first and foremost and trying to just do whatever I can to get healthy and get back out there.”

One thing Manning can’t and won’t do right now is to give a guarantee to fans and media that he will be able to start against the Bears. Or when he will resume practicing with the team, for that matter.

“This has been a totally new process for me. I have learned to put my full trust in Erin and, like I said, he and I have had some pretty heated discussions. And certainly it has not been the most enjoyable process that I’ve been through. But he’s been great. He’s challenged me and he’s really kept me on an even keel as far as trying to make constant progress. Certainly all along, that’s been our goal, to get back on the field in order to play in that first game,” he said.

“As to when I’m going to be back on the practice field, that is kind of yet to be determined. It just depends on kind of how everything goes from here on out. I need to have a good week this week. Obviously, the sooner the better for me. But I’m still sort of sticking to Erin’s advice and going on kind of how I feel. And that’s the best plan for us at this point.”

While his left knee continues to heal and the physical therapy appears to be on course, Manning stressed that he has been able to stay busy in the weightroom.

“I can throw. I have been able to keep my (right) arm in shape. I can certainly lift weights with my upper body and my lower body, so I feel I’ve been able to stay with my strength level,” he said. “As far as when and how much time I need (to rehab), we’ll just have to kind of wait and see for that.”

The Colts’ quarterback was not happy about a picture that aired on WTHR-TV’s (Channel 13) 11 p.m. news that purported to show him wearing a brace on his right knee.

Manning hosted his annual PeyBack Foundation annual charity bowling event Monday night, but for the first time did not allow local media to attend the fundraiser. A guest, however, reportedly took a picture with a cell-phone camera which showed him wearing what appeared to be a knee brace under his blue jeans.

“I haven’t had a whole lot to say. This (press conference) is taking away from my rehab right now. This is just to kind of maybe stop some of the whining going on. I just didn’t want to get into these daily progress reports. I’ve done nothing but rehab,” Manning said, partially explaining his extended absence during training camp at Rose-Hulman.

“But it looks like we’re already in the rumor mill. I guess (Colts media relations director) Craig (Kelley) showed me some story that (WTHR) put out, via cell-phone camera, which is not true. I don’t wear a knee brace. I wore this (an athletic sleeve on his left knee) just kind of for the first time. I really don’t wear anything on my knee. I haven’t worn a knee brace at all during my rehab process. And especially, anybody that knows me, I wear tight jeans. There’s no way a knee brace could fit under my blue jeans anyway. If we’re to the point of the cell-phone camera and putting that on the news, that’s a little disappointing. I guess I’ll squash it right now. It’s just not true. I just don’t wear a knee brace. Hopefully that will put an end to that.”

Sounds like Peyton might be cutting it close for Sept. 7.

Also, I never realized Peyton wore tight jeans.

A few quotes from today's Manning face-to-face press conference (Aug. 19) in Indianapolis:“I’m doing OK. I’ve had a tough month. It’s really been a challenge for me. Certainly, something totally different than I’ve ever experienced. Constant rehab. Just countless hours. Multiple sessions with our physical therapist, Erin Barill is his name. He’s been great. He’s the guy that’s really responsible for getting (defensive end) Dwight Freeney back and (safety Bob) Sanders back,” Manning said during his first face-to-face meeting with the team’s media since early June.“First time that I’ve really had to deal with him on this consistent basis. I’ve certainly had injuries before, but he and I have gotten pretty close. He’s been fantastic. He’s really pushed me. It’s just a constant, every-day process. Just kind of day-to-day goals, trying to accomplish something different each day. That’s kind of where we are at this point.”The two-time NFL Most Valuable Player admits that the month-long rehabilitation period has not been without its low moments. Still, he hopes to be ready to play against the Bears. That continues to be his primary objective.“Certainly, it has not been a pain-free process. I’d be lying if I said that,” Manning pointed out. “That is my goal, to be ready for that first game. But at this point, like I said, Erin and I are the ones sort of dealing with it every single day. The doctors come every four or five days and sort of look at it. But Erin and I are the ones kind of doing it every single day. He and I kind of have goals each day, as far as what we want to accomplish. Certainly, that is our goal. And it has been my goal all along. But we’ll have to hope that (his rehab) continues to progress up to that point.“It’s been a challenge. But I feel so far Erin and I have faced up to it and realized this is what we need to get done today. I’ve been able to combine my film study in. Terre Haute was great because I was able to watch the films (of practice) in my room. I was able to go to some meetings, but I did put the rehab ahead of everything. I feel mentally I’ve been able to stay into it. But from coach’s orders, they’ve allowed me to put my rehab first and foremost and trying to just do whatever I can to get healthy and get back out there.”One thing Manning can’t and won’t do right now is to give a guarantee to fans and media that he will be able to start against the Bears. Or when he will resume practicing with the team, for that matter.“This has been a totally new process for me. I have learned to put my full trust in Erin and, like I said, he and I have had some pretty heated discussions. And certainly it has not been the most enjoyable process that I’ve been through. But he’s been great. He’s challenged me and he’s really kept me on an even keel as far as trying to make constant progress. Certainly all along, that’s been our goal, to get back on the field in order to play in that first game,” he said.“As to when I’m going to be back on the practice field, that is kind of yet to be determined. It just depends on kind of how everything goes from here on out. I need to have a good week this week. Obviously, the sooner the better for me. But I’m still sort of sticking to Erin’s advice and going on kind of how I feel. And that’s the best plan for us at this point.”While his left knee continues to heal and the physical therapy appears to be on course, Manning stressed that he has been able to stay busy in the weightroom.“I can throw. I have been able to keep my (right) arm in shape. I can certainly lift weights with my upper body and my lower body, so I feel I’ve been able to stay with my strength level,” he said. “As far as when and how much time I need (to rehab), we’ll just have to kind of wait and see for that.”The Colts’ quarterback was not happy about a picture that aired on WTHR-TV’s (Channel 13) 11 p.m. news that purported to show him wearing a brace on his right knee.Manning hosted his annual PeyBack Foundation annual charity bowling event Monday night, but for the first time did not allow local media to attend the fundraiser. A guest, however, reportedly took a picture with a cell-phone camera which showed him wearing what appeared to be a knee brace under his blue jeans.“I haven’t had a whole lot to say. This (press conference) is taking away from my rehab right now. This is just to kind of maybe stop some of the whining going on. I just didn’t want to get into these daily progress reports. I’ve done nothing but rehab,” Manning said, partially explaining his extended absence during training camp at Rose-Hulman.“But it looks like we’re already in the rumor mill. I guess (Colts media relations director) Craig (Kelley) showed me some story that (WTHR) put out, via cell-phone camera, which is not true. I don’t wear a knee brace. I wore this (an athletic sleeve on his left knee) just kind of for the first time. I really don’t wear anything on my knee. I haven’t worn a knee brace at all during my rehab process. And especially, anybody that knows me, I wear tight jeans. There’s no way a knee brace could fit under my blue jeans anyway. If we’re to the point of the cell-phone camera and putting that on the news, that’s a little disappointing. I guess I’ll squash it right now. It’s just not true. I just don’t wear a knee brace. Hopefully that will put an end to that.”Sounds like Peyton might be cutting it close for Sept. 7.Also, I never realized Peyton wore tight jeans.
Good stuff purestrength-Thanks for posting.Obviously, There's been some real trying times through all of this, and it doesn't sound like time has been on their side, regardless of the given 4-6 week timetable. I'm reading it as things haven't moved along quite as well as they'd hoped.I'm a fan, I hope he makes it, but like you say...they're cutting it close. At this point, I would have to think he'll make the start opening day, but he's not likely to be near 100% all the way around.

I think this is the year that if you draft Peyton, you make a strong effort to get a good backup with a favorable Week 1 matchup. Maybe Eli against Washington or Pennington against the Jets (revenge against his old team) or Garcia against New Orleans. Or maybe try the Leinart/Warner draft strategy and hope that Warner gets the Week 1 start (not likely, but possible).

In the past, if you drafted Peyton, you could wait forever before taking your No. 2 QB or not draft a No. 2 at all if you had small rosters. That's probably not a good idea this year.

If Peyton could just get healthy, I think this is the year that Indy's offense blows up again. I attended training camp several times and saw Marvin run plenty of routes . . . never mind, that topic is for the Marvin thread.

Anyway, keep rehabbing, Peyton.

From "Bounce it off Phil B." (Indystar) -- generally very reliabe, one of the better "mainstream" (not blogs / fans /etc) sources for insider info on the Colts:

"What sticks in my mind was the on-field chat we had with Colts owner Jim Irsay. "It'll be close for Peyton," Irsay said. Hmmm. He also added he has told Manning the team needs him for the long haul. After hearing Manning, I'm more convinced we won't see him until the week of the first game, at the earliest. And if we don't see him practicing that week, I doubt he will play. I still think Manning won't miss the game. I would be surprised, anyway, but again that's just speculation. Only Manning and the Colts really know where he's at and just how "close" this is going to be. Irsay also said there was a "good chance" Manning will be ready, but that's as close to an assurance as anyone gave."

Now of course this is just his opinion (and Jim Irsay's it appears as well), but Phil is usually fairly accurate and immune to the hyperbole that infects mainstream sports coverage today. I've been of the opinion there would be little chance Manning doesn't play the first game (opener for the new stadium, prime time, etc). But, one thing you can be sure of regarding the Colts organization, is that they will put a player's health above almost any other concern.

Care to elaborate? It sounds like at best he is walking "OK", not where I want my QB to be at this stage of the game.

:confused:

Polian was on Sirius NFL this morning. Quick recap (no quotes, my memory)

- Peyton's got full range of motion (in the knee) with manual aid.

- He's working this week to get that full range w/o any aid.

- Was in Terre Haute during camp watching daily practice tape

- Has been doing tons of resistance training and throwing during this whole deal; upper body / shoulder / arm is just fine.

- Obviously the quad/hammy muscles will have to be trained up as soon as possible

- Still very much on track to have him back on the field, but really depends on how this week in rehab goes

- Made it VERY clear that he, Peyton, and Dungy are all on the same page that the consecutive streak, opening of Lucas Stadium, etc. will have ZERO to do with whether he plays. If he's ready, and it's safe to play, he will. If he's not 100%, he won't suit up.

From this discussion, I'm now fully 50/50 on whether he plays week1. I think we'll definitely know (well, the Colts F.O. and coaches will know) by the end of this week. Now, can we get word of how his rehab goes this week? Probably not! :goodposting:

Care to elaborate? It sounds like at best he is walking "OK", not where I want my QB to be at this stage of the game.
That was implying that he was not limping around. He was not running, but we knew he wouldn't since he was not practicing.The problem is you can take that statement and throw it around 12 different ways.

That was implying that he was not limping around. He was not running, but we knew he wouldn't since he was not practicing.

The problem is you can take that statement and throw it around 12 different ways.
So at best I might be reading too much into it, that I will concede. Any way you look at it the wording is not cause for jubilation though.

IndyHavoc said:
Polian was on Sirius NFL this morning. Quick recap (no quotes, my memory)

- Peyton's got full range of motion (in the knee) with manual aid.

- He's working this week to get that full range w/o any aid.

- Was in Terre Haute during camp watching daily practice tape

- Has been doing tons of resistance training and throwing during this whole deal; upper body / shoulder / arm is just fine.

- Obviously the quad/hammy muscles will have to be trained up as soon as possible

- Still very much on track to have him back on the field, but really depends on how this week in rehab goes

- Made it VERY clear that he, Peyton, and Dungy are all on the same page that the consecutive streak, opening of Lucas Stadium, etc. will have ZERO to do with whether he plays. If he's ready, and it's safe to play, he will. If he's not 100%, he won't suit up.

From this discussion, I'm now fully 50/50 on whether he plays week1. I think we'll definitely know (well, the Colts F.O. and coaches will know) by the end of this week. Now, can we get word of how his rehab goes this week? Probably not! :bag:
linkhttp://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...385/1004/sports

From StampedeBlue.com - a great Colt fan's blog (if true, this is NOT GOOD NEWS).

Report: Peyton Manning had second surgery on his knee last month

by BigBlueShoe on Aug 21, 2008 11:56 AM EDT in Colts News

The more I read on this subject, the more I get the feeling the Colts have flat out lied to the fans and the media. Michael Lombardi, the former personnel head for the Oakland Raiders, does a column for The National Football Post. He's a knowledgeable guy with friends and contacts throughout the NFL. His column dated for today reveals from very serious information on Peyton Manning's surgery and recovery:

Apparently Manning had to go through another procedure on his knee to clean things out after having his bursa sac removed last month. What is the most concerning is not the second operation (which the Colts are denying), but that they cannot control the swelling in Manning's knee and any physical movement causes MORE swelling. Once he returns to the game, gets hit, has to place a load on the knee, and drive the ball, there can be swelling. All I know is that there is MUCH more here than meets the eye. Manning has the trainer come over to HIS home for rehab and is rarely seen. Now, I have been with some big-time quarterbacks in my career like Joe Montana and Rich Gannon and never have they rehabbed from home. I thought this was not an issue and that Manning would be back.

Unless Lombardi is lying, or his sources are full of it, the Colts have been fibbing to fans and media about Peyton Manning's recovery. A second procedure is a pretty big friggin' deal, even if it was to clean up some minor stuff in the knee. Even if the knee is fine, and has no structural damage, it's pretty damn important to tell your fans (who are bought tickets to the opening of their public funded stadium at $160 bucks a pop).

The more you read into this, with players and coaches getting quoted as saying they'd like Peyton back for the opener, but... the more I get the sense the Colts are softening the fanbase up to the prospect that Jim Sorgi will start Week One against the Chicago Bears. We're hearing players saying things like "We'd like to have him back, but he just needs to not miss any playoff games."

Ugh.

Again, there is also encouraging news, like Peyton leading the offense through a walk through yesterday. But if Peyton did indeed have a second "routine procedure," then all this stuff Bill Polian has fed to us about everything being fine and right on schedule is complete and utter bullsh*t.

I certainly hope I'm wrong. I hope Lombardi is wrong and he is totally full of it. But, from the looks of it, Lombardi looks credible, and the Colts are not credible when it comes to reporting injury updates. They are also just flat our BAD at rehabbing their players and getting them ready to play. They screwed it up for Bob Sanders in 2006, Marvin Harrison in 2007, and now maybe Peyton Manning in 2008.

Again, I hope this is false. It just doesn't seem false, and Bill Polian and the Colts crappy PR department might have a lot of explaining to do.

From StampedeBlue.com - a great Colt fan's blog (if true, this is NOT GOOD NEWS).

The more I read on this subject, the more I get the feeling the Colts have flat out lied to the fans and the media. Michael Lombardi, the former personnel head for the Oakland Raiders, does a column for The National Football Post. He's a knowledgeable guy with friends and contacts throughout the NFL. His column dated for today reveals from very serious information on Peyton Manning's surgery and recovery:

Apparently Manning had to go through another procedure on his knee to clean things out after having his bursa sac removed last month. What is the most concerning is not the second operation (which the Colts are denying), but that they cannot control the swelling in Manning's knee and any physical movement causes MORE swelling. Once he returns to the game, gets hit, has to place a load on the knee, and drive the ball, there can be swelling. All I know is that there is MUCH more here than meets the eye. Manning has the trainer come over to HIS home for rehab and is rarely seen. Now, I have been with some big-time quarterbacks in my career like Joe Montana and Rich Gannon and never have they rehabbed from home. I thought this was not an issue and that Manning would be back.

Unless Lombardi is lying, or his sources are full of it, the Colts have been fibbing to fans and media about Peyton Manning's recovery. A second procedure is a pretty big friggin' deal, even if it was to clean up some minor stuff in the knee. Even if the knee is fine, and has no structural damage, it's pretty damn important to tell your fans (who are bought tickets to the opening of their public funded stadium at $160 bucks a pop).

The more you read into this, with players and coaches getting quoted as saying they'd like Peyton back for the opener, but... the more I get the sense the Colts are softening the fanbase up to the prospect that Jim Sorgi will start Week One against the Chicago Bears. We're hearing players saying things like "We'd like to have him back, but he just needs to not miss any playoff games."

Ugh.

Again, there is also encouraging news, like Peyton leading the offense through a walk through yesterday. But if Peyton did indeed have a second "routine procedure," then all this stuff Bill Polian has fed to us about everything being fine and right on schedule is complete and utter bullsh*t.

I certainly hope I'm wrong. I hope Lombardi is wrong and he is totally full of it. But, from the looks of it, Lombardi looks credible, and the Colts are not credible when it comes to reporting injury updates. They are also just flat our BAD at rehabbing their players and getting them ready to play. They screwed it up for Bob Sanders in 2006, Marvin Harrison in 2007, and now maybe Peyton Manning in 2008.

Again, I hope this is false. It just doesn't seem false, and Bill Polian and the Colts crappy PR department might have a lot of explaining to do.
I was just going to post this Lombardi update, as it's the most significant "rumor" I've seen and one that I give some weight to. Here is the link to the original:http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2008/0...t-diner-talk-2/

I talked to several people in the NFL yesterday who know things and they assure me that Peyton Manning’s knee is a huge concern for the Colts. Apparently Manning had to go through another procedure on his knee to clean things out after having his bursa sac removed last month. What is the most concerning is not the second operation (which the Colts are denying), but that they cannot control the swelling in Manning’s knee and any physical movement causes MORE swelling. Once he returns to the game, gets hit, has to place a load on the knee, and drive the ball, there can be swelling. All I know is that there is MUCH more here than meets the eye. Manning has the trainer come over to HIS home for rehab and is rarely seen. Now, I have been with some big-time quarterbacks in my career like Joe Montana and Rich Gannon and never have they rehabbed from home. I thought this was not an issue and that Manning would be back. However, after talking to my friends in the league, it’s clear that this is a HUGE concern short- and long-term for the Colts.

Ugh.

I was just going to post this Lombardi update, as it's the most significant "rumor" I've seen and one that I give some weight to. Here is the link to the original:http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2008/0...t-diner-talk-2/

I talked to several people in the NFL yesterday who know things and they assure me that Peyton Manning’s knee is a huge concern for the Colts. Apparently Manning had to go through another procedure on his knee to clean things out after having his bursa sac removed last month. What is the most concerning is not the second operation (which the Colts are denying), but that they cannot control the swelling in Manning’s knee and any physical movement causes MORE swelling. Once he returns to the game, gets hit, has to place a load on the knee, and drive the ball, there can be swelling. All I know is that there is MUCH more here than meets the eye. Manning has the trainer come over to HIS home for rehab and is rarely seen. Now, I have been with some big-time quarterbacks in my career like Joe Montana and Rich Gannon and never have they rehabbed from home. I thought this was not an issue and that Manning would be back. However, after talking to my friends in the league, it’s clear that this is a HUGE concern short- and long-term for the Colts.
IMO there's no way I'd draft Peyton if Brees or Romo is still on the board and I want to draft a QB early (I'm assuming this is round 2 or 3 here). He's clearly at best the #4 fantasy QB right now going into this weekend's drafts (and dropping).

IMO there's no way I'd draft Peyton if Brees or Romo is still on the board and I want to draft a QB early (I'm assuming this is round 2 or 3 here). He's clearly at best the #4 fantasy QB right now going into this weekend's drafts (and dropping).
Agree 100%. I'd maybe consider him towards the end of the third depending on what is out there, but Brees & Romo are Tier 2, and at this point Manning is top of Tier 3.Hopefully he is healthy for your sake, DJColts; and as an NFL fan (and Pats fan no less), the season wouldn't be the same with Manning sidelined and/or hobbling.

Maybe it's just me, but I think Lombardi is full of poo here. I just don't buy this whole "other procedure" shpiel...at all. Guy was put on SEVERE lock down because of the worry of infection and the fact they know how competitive a person he is. If they let him out fo the cage, he'd be all over the facilities and in contact with anythign and everythign. After watching all the trouble the Browns and other teams have had with post-procedure infections/complications they were going to take NO chance with this guy. His knee is now healed over, he's taking walk-through practice, he's got full range of motion in the knee (assisted), he's rehabing like mad to get full un-assisted motion this week. They'll re-evaluate him after this weekend and see if he can go full speed (probably still no contact) going into the last week's preseason game.

I'm not saying anyone's making a mistake drafting romo/brees ahead of him (I personally like both just as much as Peyton), but dropping him any further than that is a mistake.

Maybe it's just me, but I think Lombardi is full of poo here. I just don't buy this whole "other procedure" shpiel...at all. Guy was put on SEVERE lock down because of the worry of infection and the fact they know how competitive a person he is. If they let him out fo the cage, he'd be all over the facilities and in contact with anythign and everythign. After watching all the trouble the Browns and other teams have had with post-procedure infections/complications they were going to take NO chance with this guy. His knee is now healed over, he's taking walk-through practice, he's got full range of motion in the knee (assisted), he's rehabing like mad to get full un-assisted motion this week. They'll re-evaluate him after this weekend and see if he can go full speed (probably still no contact) going into the last week's preseason game.

I'm not saying anyone's making a mistake drafting romo/brees ahead of him (I personally like both just as much as Peyton), but dropping him any further than that is a mistake.
:goodposting:

Stuff like this really bugs me. If it turns out to be true that he had a second procedure to his knee and the Colts have not been truthful in reporting the nature and extent of his injury, aren't the Colts violating any league rules?

It's always bugged me about how some teams abuse the injury report etc., but this, if true, certainly smacks of outright deception.

Stuff like this really bugs me. If it turns out to be true that he had a second procedure to his knee and the Colts have not been truthful in reporting the nature and extent of his injury, aren't the Colts violating any league rules? It's always bugged me about how some teams abuse the injury report etc., but this, if true, certainly smacks of outright deception.
I'm just asking this question because I don't know, and not trying to be a wise guy. But who exactly would they be deceiving? It's not like it's during the season and they are being less than up front concerning a players injury.

Stuff like this really bugs me. If it turns out to be true that he had a second procedure to his knee and the Colts have not been truthful in reporting the nature and extent of his injury, aren't the Colts violating any league rules? It's always bugged me about how some teams abuse the injury report etc., but this, if true, certainly smacks of outright deception.
I'm just asking this question because I don't know, and not trying to be a wise guy. But who exactly would they be deceiving? It's not like it's during the season and they are being less than up front concerning a players injury.
I think they would be deceiving all the other teams in the league, with an emphasis on every team the Colts play in 2008. I think they are entitled to know if the teams star QB had a second procedure and a general idea as to what his status is. Clearly, a team's game plan changes if they have to prepare for Manning, as opposed to Sorgi.Not that it matters, but they would also be deceiving all of the Colts fans. I'm not sure how I would feel if I just spent a ton of money on Colts season tickets only to learn that the team never told me about Manning's status.

I think they would be deceiving all the other teams in the league, with an emphasis on every team the Colts play in 2008. I think they are entitled to know if the teams star QB had a second procedure and a general idea as to what his status is. Clearly, a team's game plan changes if they have to prepare for Manning, as opposed to Sorgi.Not that it matters, but they would also be deceiving all of the Colts fans. I'm not sure how I would feel if I just spent a ton of money on Colts season tickets only to learn that the team never told me about Manning's status.
I think Bellichek and Childress were both fielding questions recently about injured players and to whatever extent they each basically said "It's preseason and I don't have to address that." If that's the case then I am assuming they are playing it as close to the rules as they can. I get the idea that they simply don't have to disclose anything during the preseason as the injury reports aren't active yet.

[edit to remove text of link]
Collection info regarding this whole situation:-Mike Lombardi's original post-

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2008/0...uth-on-manning/

(summary: Colts hiding the fact that Manning had a 2nd surgery and continues to have recovery delays)

-StampedeBlue.com responding-

http://www.stampedeblue.com/

(summary: fan emails Mike Lombardi asking for how sure he is, Lombardi says "I have it 100% correct")

-Phil B's conversation with Dungy regarding Lombardi's post-

http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2008/08/fr...s.html#comments

PHIL B: We're aware of the blog, as are the Colts. Tony Dungy was asked about it today and implied it wasn't true. He didn't come right out and deny it, but he made the suggestion we should talk to the blogger -- and that he would like to. I don't know that anyone knows the truth except Manning, Irsay, Polian, Dungy and the doctors. Anybody out there saying otherwise is making a guess. Pure speculation. And if you want to push the issue, you ask, "How do you know this to be true?" I can't believe it would be in the Colts' best interest to share this information with anyone, let alone a blogger. And since this was a blog, the interview request for Bill Polian was turned down because, I guess it's policy, the team doesn't respond to blog reports. That kind of puts me in my place, I guess.
----Personally, I think signs are fairly strong Peyton will not be 100% to start the season.

Does this mean he doesn't start? I'm on the fence regarding this situation. The Colts usually don't force injured players to play (see Harrison, Clark, Addai in recent seasons) and I can't think someone as important as Manning would jeopordize the season to start one or two games at less than 100%. But, Manning is THAT imporant to the team and Dungy highly value a fast start to the season - no doubt Manning will want to be on the field.

My gut says Peyton starts with the knee nowhere near 100%. Hope the line holds up ....

-Raor

I think Bellichek and Childress were both fielding questions recently about injured players and to whatever extent they each basically said "It's preseason and I don't have to address that." If that's the case then I am assuming they are playing it as close to the rules as they can. I get the idea that they simply don't have to disclose anything during the preseason as the injury reports aren't active yet.
This is correct. They don't have to address the specifics of injuries until the first injury report before Week 1. And frankly, in mid-August, I don't see how any team could gain an advantage or be at a disadvantage by knowing or not knowing the injured status of other teams' players.

Wouldn't Waynes ADP drop somewhat? Granted these are rumors and speculation but Manning seems to be slipping a bit but Wayne hasn't in most rankings.I may just be confused.
I'm beginning to wonder the same for both Wayne & Addai

Wouldn't Waynes ADP drop somewhat? Granted these are rumors and speculation but Manning seems to be slipping a bit but Wayne hasn't in most rankings.I may just be confused.
How many regular season games do you think Manning could miss? If the answer is 6 or more, then you have to drop Wayne and company down, but I think the general consensus is that he might miss 1, if any at all.

Manning expected to practice tomorrow!

Source: Indystar.com

Hoepfully this is an indiciation of his health and not of the Colt's disgust at the dismal QB play in yesterday's preseason game. As a Colts fan I would rather have Manning's injury fully healed before his return so can be healthy later in the season if that is the case.

Manning expected to practice tomorrow!

Source: Indystar.com

Hoepfully this is an indiciation of his health and not of the Colt's disgust at the dismal QB play in yesterday's preseason game. As a Colts fan I would rather have Manning's injury fully healed before his return so can be healthy later in the season if that is the case.
fingers crossed.....

I know there were crickets in here yesterday when I posted an update that actually had positive news, but for Manning owners and Colts fans I wanted to continue to update the situation. Here's today's practice update from Indystar.com

Manning moving normally in Colts practice

By Mike Chappell

Posted: August 26, 2008

Peyton Manning threw to running backs, worked with his fellow quarterbacks, worked on moving around the pocket. All in all the Indianapolis Colts star looked pretty much his normal self in his first preseason practice since July 14 surgery on his left knee.

Reporters were allowed to watch only about a half-hour of today's practice, but it was enough to see Manning take a significant step in his road to recovery. There's still no guarantee he'll play in the regular-season opener Sept. 7, and it's extremely unlikely he'll play in Thursday's final preseason game.

But for now, he was happy to get back out on the field.

“It’s been a while," Manning said shortly before practice (players and coaches were not expected to be available after practice). "I’ve been doing some things on my own, but it’s not quite the same as if you’re out there with the team and doing some of the different drills at practice.

“I’m glad this day is finally here. As I’ve said all along, the goal is to be ready for that season opener and I certainly hope to be and this point I expect to be.’’

Meanwhile, Manning's return was tempered by the possibility he won’t have his Pro Bowl center to help ease his return to the lineup.

Coach Tony Dungy said earlier today that further evaluations will determine if an injury to the right knee of Jeff Saturday is a short-term concern, or might threaten his season.

“It could be anywhere from a couple of weeks to a major injury,’’ Dungy said. “We’re still trying to sort that out right now.’’
Of course now the concern is about the Colts' offensive line and its ability to protect Manning, assuming he is healthy. Great.

It will be week 1 in a primetime game and the first game in a new stadium so I would have to believe that if Manning had to walk onto the field with a wooden leg he would do it.

It will be week 1 in a primetime game and the first game in a new stadium so I would have to believe that if Manning had to walk onto the field with a wooden leg he would do it.
That would be awesome simply for the fact that Manning would undoubtedly get an endorsement deal with whoever supplied the wooden league. Then during games, after the old men sing about Viagra, we would see Peyton pimping prosthetics, finally.

How many regular season games do you think Manning could miss? If the answer is 6 or more, then you have to drop Wayne and company down, but I think the general consensus is that he might miss 1, if any at all.
I dunno. Without any infection worries a Bursa sac decreases mobility, increases stiffness and pain. Look at who the colts have weeks 1-3 (with week 4 on bye) I can't imagine them wanting to risk Peyton (and the future of their franchise) feeding him to the DL's of the Vikings and The Jaguars. That doesn't seem like a nice due to ease into. With a bye in 4, why not sit him another month and fully recover, especially if they are having issues/movement allong the offenseive line.

:rolleyes:
But do we want to start Manning on our fantasy teams in Week 1 under these circumstances?I know, I know, "always start your studs." But still . . .
It looks like Manning is back right on schedule. I'd start him week one for sure. This guy doesn't need training camp. For Manning it's like riding a bike.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...tory?id=3554234

I dunno. Without any infection worries a Bursa sac decreases mobility, increases stiffness and pain. Look at who the colts have weeks 1-3 (with week 4 on bye) I can't imagine them wanting to risk Peyton (and the future of their franchise) feeding him to the DL's of the Vikings and The Jaguars. That doesn't seem like a nice due to ease into. With a bye in 4, why not sit him another month and fully recover, especially if they are having issues/movement allong the offenseive line.
Sit against the JAGUARS? The team they need to beat in their division? Bad, bad idea. That would be a concession for getting a WC berth at best.

Wouldn't Waynes ADP drop somewhat? Granted these are rumors and speculation but Manning seems to be slipping a bit but Wayne hasn't in most rankings.

I may just be confused.
The short answer is because they will lose without him.

Users who are viewing this thread