What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Cuban - NBA - And this take (1 Viewer)

Proved mine.  He even agreed.  Don't know what to tell ya.  Seems like it fits.
Not loving something is not the same as being anti that thing. That really needs to be explained to you? Or are you being disingenuous. Because I would shocked if you were being disingenuous.

No, clutching pearls is funny. Again with the wheat/chaff. You feel free to show respect to those you feel deserve it however you like and I will do the same. The anthem at sporting events is stupid and an especially stupid way to measure somebody's respect for sacrifice. And I don't love my country. I was born here. I am afforded a lot of luxuries as a result. I was definitely born on third base and by being born white, male, and in the country, I was born sliding into home really. That's pretty fortunate. But there are many nice places in the world and I'm more of an I love Earth type than somebody who breaks out pom poms for the United States. Too complicated a history and too many ####ty things that brought us here to summarily fall in line that way.
But keep taking his tickets  Priorities

Not loving something is not the same as being anti that thing. That really needs to be explained to you? Or are you being disingenuous. Because I would shocked if you were being disingenuous.
You're right.  Patriots are just Karens.  That was a bad leap on my part. 

It comes back to the need for some to frame things as binary. One thing or another. No in-between. Especially odd, when that thing is largely imaginary. You have to be all in on somebody's imaginary thing or you hate that person's imaginary thing.

I don't get all of the "its creepy" comments.

If you are a citizen of the United States, you are already giving loyalty to the nation by agreeing to adhere to its laws and submit to its governance.  Luckily, we don't force our general population of citizens to remain here or even stand or salute the flag during the anthem.  You can sit and pick your nose or kneel or whatever, but like all forms of free speech, the rest of society has a right to shun you or call you names for doing so.  You can call them "karens" all you want, but you are equally susceptible to being called a "liberal commie" and told to leave the country if you don't like it.  That is equally their right.

Most people equate the anthem with respect for the sacrifices that were made by our predecessors to make the country free and prosperous.  To "disrespect" the anthem or the flag is considered to be disrespectful to those who died or suffered in our nation's history.  I personally feel the desire to honor our nation and continue to show respect during the anthem.  Some don't, and that's cool too.  But I don't see how any of that is "creepy".
Honestly I equate it with sports and have to assume a lot of others do as well. :shrug:  

Name calling comes across as not liking- hating.  Especially when doubling down on it.  Don't know what to tell you, I guess keep backtracking trying to play semantics. 
Did I call the USA a name and not realize it?

ETA: Let's drop it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I call the USA a name and not realize it?

ETA: Let's drop it.
Yes you did.  You called your "friend" a Karen for paying respect to our flag and our anthem.  Like it or not (you don't) our flag and anthem represent this country.  That's their purpose.  The 13 stripes represent the original 13 colonies and the 50 stars represent the states in the union.  Additionally, we didn't need you to directly call America names to know you hate it, you went ahead and told us.

And I don't love my country. 
And just so we don't have to keep playing your childish semantics game:  Yes don't love = hate.  That's always a reasonable interpretation, when people mean indifferent they say indifferent. If you don't believe me try telling your wife you don't love her and see what happens.   We get it.  Confused on what to do next?  Just follow along with the wife analogy that you don't love.

I don't get all of the "its creepy" comments.

If you are a citizen of the United States, you are already giving loyalty to the nation by agreeing to adhere to its laws and submit to its governance.  Luckily, we don't force our general population of citizens to remain here or even stand or salute the flag during the anthem.  You can sit and pick your nose or kneel or whatever, but like all forms of free speech, the rest of society has a right to shun you or call you names for doing so.  You can call them "karens" all you want, but you are equally susceptible to being called a "liberal commie" and told to leave the country if you don't like it.  That is equally their right.

Most people equate the anthem with respect for the sacrifices that were made by our predecessors to make the country free and prosperous.  To "disrespect" the anthem or the flag is considered to be disrespectful to those who died or suffered in our nation's history.  I personally feel the desire to honor our nation and continue to show respect during the anthem.  Some don't, and that's cool too.  But I don't see how any of that is "creepy".
It's difficult to explain, and I fully recognize that I'm the weird one in this story.  I don't think that people who like the national anthem or the pledge of allegiance or whatever are doing anything wrong, and I hope my comments didn't come across that way.

Maybe a more general way of putting is that I personally tend to react mildly negatively to secular ritual -- things like commencement for example -- and also overt public displays of nationalism or religiosity.  So when you combine the two, it just rubs me the wrong way.  I completely understand that other people don't respond like that, and like I said earlier, I don't know that I even have an intellectually defensible reason for feeling that way.  It's more like a personal preference than anything that I sat around and thought about.  

I completely understand that other people don't respond like that, and like I said earlier, I don't know that I even have an intellectually defensible reason for feeling that way.  It's more like a personal preference than anything that I sat around and thought about.  
Yes, you do. It's weird. It's a socially-enforced, sanctioned-by-the-club loyalty oath, prescribed for your somber reflection at an enjoyable event. We tend to recoil at things like that, and we should.

:lmao:

Love how you take this moment to judge ALL of those who stand for the anthem while validating your own feelings of superiority for not participating.

:potkettle:
Read it again my friend.  As stated, I always stand and participate.  I don't judge anyone and I take no offense at how others choose to show their patriotism. 

Yes you did.  You called your "friend" a Karen for paying respect to our flag and our anthem.  Like it or not (you don't) our flag and anthem represent this country.  That's their purpose.  The 13 stripes represent the original 13 colonies and the 50 stars represent the states in the union.  Additionally, we didn't need you to directly call America names to know you hate it, you went ahead and told us.

And just so we don't have to keep playing your childish semantics game:  Yes don't love = hate.  That's always a reasonable interpretation, when people mean indifferent they say indifferent. If you don't believe me try telling your wife you don't love her and see what happens.   We get it.  Confused on what to do next?  Just follow along with the wife analogy that you don't love.
Words mean things.

No, clutching pearls is funny. Again with the wheat/chaff. You feel free to show respect to those you feel deserve it however you like and I will do the same. The anthem at sporting events is stupid and an especially stupid way to measure somebody's respect for sacrifice. And I don't love my country. I was born here. I am afforded a lot of luxuries as a result. I was definitely born on third base and by being born white, male, and in the country, I was born sliding into home really. That's pretty fortunate. But there are many nice places in the world and I'm more of an I love Earth type than somebody who breaks out pom poms for the United States. Too complicated a history and too many ####ty things that brought us here to summarily fall in line that way.
So humor your friend for 2 minutes?

I bet you’re fun at parties 

So humor your friend for 2 minutes?

I bet you’re fun at parties 
When it's his friend's tickets, I do. If we're on my tickets, I like to have fun with him. I also read the area around me. As I'm in DC, I'm not trying to take on a four star General just to f with my buddy.

Never trust a prankster. F em if they can't take a joke. Etc.

I haven’t, but if my friend invited me , and played the NA at a party I’d humor him.

Instead of going online and calling him a Karen and making fun of what he thinks is right 

How would you treat your friend?
I have also called him a Karen to him. But Summer Wheat is right, not the appropriate term.

Supermike80 + mouse

RnR

NOTED

Am I missing part of the story? Some are saying Cuban is playing both sides, or caved or whatever. NBA owners aren't free to do whatever they want without consequence. He was the first to attempt to implement the policy. Others may follow suit and maybe enough to influence the mandate on the anthem. I don't see Cuban as giving in or playing both sides at all.
 Everything has consequences.   Dallas is a member of the NBA and must abide by NBA rules.   Just like auto dealers for whatever company have to follow the rules and guidelines Ford, GM Honda or whoever set up to be a dealer.  

Why would any other owners even want to get tied up into NA debates anyway?  Seems like a no-win no matter how you feel.  Play the NA per NBA rules, stand, sit, kneel or do come out for it if you choose.  It is not that difficult.

I for one have felt long before Kappy that it should not be played for every single sporting event. But if the the leagues mandate it so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread