What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark this post. You heard it here first... (1 Viewer)

GridironMenace

Footballguy
I have an elite source within ESPN's advertising and marketing department and there is good news and bad news. The good news is that the 2011 NFL season will be played in full. The bad news is that there will be a 2 week delay. So the entire season will be pushed back 2 weeks. Amazing that these 2 sides, won't come to an agreement in time for an uninterrupted season.

I have an elite source within ESPN's advertising and marketing department and there is good news and bad news. The good news is that the 2011 NFL season will be played in full. The bad news is that there will be a 2 week delay. So the entire season will be pushed back 2 weeks. Amazing that these 2 sides, won't come to an agreement in time for an uninterrupted season.
Yeah, ok. :rolleyes:

OK fine. We'll see. They are all making plans with their advertisers/sponsors and marketing for the season, through the SB, to be pushed back 2 weeks. Believe it or not is fine with me. Like I said. Mark the post.

OK fine. We'll see. They are all making plans with their advertisers/sponsors and marketing for the season, through the SB, to be pushed back 2 weeks. Believe it or not is fine with me. Like I said. Mark the post.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not questioning your Elite Source reporting. I'm just not convinced that ESPN making preparations for a delay in the season = that there will be a 2 week delay to start the season.

Did your uncle's neighbor's friend's brother-in-law also see Barry Sanders at the mall and find out that he's making a comeback?

They can be making contingency plans, and still not actually KNOW when the season will start.

They're still negotiating. There's absolutely no way to know when a breakthrough could happen, or even IF it will happen, in which case, the judge makes the call.

There's just way too many variables right now, that NO ONE could predict what will happen, and more importantly, when.

So forgive us for not believing that you're correct, even if we might believe that YOU believe your "elite source". He/she might not even know the meaning of the information they're passing on to you, in the big picture.

Why do they know this at this point? Not doubting you, it's just the question I would have asked if this guy told me this information. Hope you asked it...

Here's a dumb question. If they KNOW that the two sides won't be able to come together in time to save the season, and they know this in April, then how do they know they will finalize whatever deal is being worked on with enough time to even only delay the season two weeks.

No one, not even the players or owners, know when a negotiation will end. Not doubting your elite source, just doubting their confidence in relying on any source, since any deal nees to be run by/approved by 32 player reps/team, the union boss, and 32 diffrent owners and likely king Goddell as well.

For someone to know this, would mean that the two sides HAVE had come to an agreement or (inserting silly conspiracy theory) that the two sides along with the networks have figured out that they would make more money by delaying the season a couple of weeks because the fans enjoy seeing reporters in front of court houses instead of speculating on how their favorite team is going to do better in 2011.

Here's a dumb question. If they KNOW that the two sides won't be able to come together in time to save the season, and they know this in April, then how do they know they will finalize whatever deal is being worked on with enough time to even only delay the season two weeks. No one, not even the players or owners, know when a negotiation will end. Not doubting your elite source, just doubting their confidence in relying on any source, since any deal nees to be run by/approved by 32 player reps/team, the union boss, and 32 diffrent owners and likely king Goddell as well.
Kind of my thoughts too. Entertainment Sports Premonition Network?

They can be making contingency plans, and still not actually KNOW when the season will start.They're still negotiating. There's absolutely no way to know when a breakthrough could happen, or even IF it will happen, in which case, the judge makes the call. There's just way too many variables right now, that NO ONE could predict what will happen, and more importantly, when.
This I agree with. I thought Goodell or somebody came out and said last week that they were willing to push the Super Bowl back one week and do away with the pre-Bowl bye week. This would allow 16 games plus bye in regular season still (which jives with the OP 2 weeks).My question is this:Schedule comes out in the next week or so. Say that an agreement isn't reached until around Labor Day and regular season gets pushed back 2 weeks. Wouldn't they have to start with the Week 3 games and play thru week 17 before circling back to weeks 1 & 2?There are stadium considerations and the like. Not to mention the networks plan their doubleheader days around other sports.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is this:Schedule comes out in the next week or so. Say that an agreement isn't reached until around Labor Day and regular season gets pushed back 2 weeks. Wouldn't they have to start with the Week 3 games and play thru week 17 before circling back to weeks 1 & 2?There are stadium considerations and the like. Not to mention the networks plan their doubleheader days around other sports.
In theory it makes sense, but assume your team is scheduled for a week 4 bye week. They'd play 15 straight games.

Yeah, ok. :rolleyes:
It's from a guy in advertising at ESPN. How would he possibly not know?

Assuming your source did have knowledge, how could he have such precise knowledge like this? He knows precisely at what point it will be resolved so that it will cause a 2 week delay? It's just not logical that some one could make a statment like that with any voracity.

Probably should make this guy a mod so he can delete any rumors or speculation that don't check out with the elites. I don't want any false info circulating.

I think this is an educated guess by those that have to sell something "semi-definitive" to advertisers. The one thing most are missing in the responses in this thread is the players would start losing paychecks after a two week delay of the season (not be able to fit in the full schedule) and the rank and file would probably force their leadership to make an agreement. Not that it is certain, but the timing of missing a couple of paychecks would cause the avg player to really push on their leadership to settle. Especially since there are already players taking out ridiculous % loans and we have 4-5 more months before the season starts.

After all they went through moving the Super Bowl back after the September 11th attacks, I doubt they'll move it back again. They'll just lose x weeks from the regular season.

Assuming your source did have knowledge, how could he have such precise knowledge like this? He knows precisely at what point it will be resolved so that it will cause a 2 week delay? It's just not logical that some one could make a statment like that with any voracity.
I don't have all the exact details. But he showed be email conversations between the network and the NFL. Conversations within big wigs at ESPN. Between ESPN and big time sponsors (like Samsung). Fact is this: while nothing is 100% there is enough mounting evidence on their side (exactly what is difficult to say from my spot) that they are already making these plans months in advance. From what I hear, this is not a contingency plan.

Grid, even if you turn out to be right, I won't be impressed. This is just a guess like anybody else's guess.
I don't really care if you will be impressed or not. I didn't write this here to impress you.
Really? "You heard it here first" wasn't to try to impress? Why were you seeking recognition then?
I can't wait to be famous! *rollseyes*
Now you're just being silly. The whole point of these kinds of posts is to call them up later and get the figurative backslapping from the other little boys.

I don't have all the exact details. But he showed be email conversations between the network and the NFL. Conversations within big wigs at ESPN. Between ESPN and big time sponsors (like Samsung). Fact is this: while nothing is 100% there is enough mounting evidence on their side (exactly what is difficult to say from my spot) that they are already making these plans months in advance. From what I hear, this is not a contingency plan.
I'd have to guess it is. Otherwise it really doesn't make any sense. How can someone pinpoint a prediction on when things can/will be resolved? There's too many alternatives (including the involvement of the federal courts) right now, over four months away for anyone to be able to beleive this is accurate.As some one mentioned the only way anyone could explain it "logically" would be if its some kind of conspiracy to drum up ratings and we all know that doesn't make sense.

From April 14 on Yahoo Sports:

The NFL has a contingency plan to apparently start the regular season two weeks late and still play a complete schedule.

Commissioner Roger Goodell, on a conference call today with Cleveland Browns season-ticket holders, said there is a plan to postpone Super Bowl XLVI one week and make the time between the conference championship games and Super Bowl one week and not the standard two. This is according to Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

'roadkill1292 said:
'GridironMenace said:
'RUSF18 said:
'GridironMenace said:
'roadkill1292 said:
Grid, even if you turn out to be right, I won't be impressed. This is just a guess like anybody else's guess.
I don't really care if you will be impressed or not. I didn't write this here to impress you.
Really? "You heard it here first" wasn't to try to impress? Why were you seeking recognition then?
I can't wait to be famous! *rollseyes*
Now you're just being silly. The whole point of these kinds of posts is to call them up later and get the figurative backslapping from the other little boys.
:goodposting: The evidence:

Mark this post.

You heard it here first...

I have an elite source...

These are the code words for "Look at me!"

From April 14 on Yahoo Sports:

The NFL has a contingency plan to apparently start the regular season two weeks late and still play a complete schedule.

Commissioner Roger Goodell, on a conference call today with Cleveland Browns season-ticket holders, said there is a plan to postpone Super Bowl XLVI one week and make the time between the conference championship games and Super Bowl one week and not the standard two. This is according to Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
:goodposting: You should change your handle to "eliteness."

My Elite Source confirms what the OP's source said...

Definitely a 2-week delay -- go ahead and plan accordingly..

Serious question....what would a public company do TODAY if they REALLY were given this info by the NFL....knowing they could lose $150M by the delay?

They can be making contingency plans, and still not actually KNOW when the season will start.

They're still negotiating. There's absolutely no way to know when a breakthrough could happen, or even IF it will happen, in which case, the judge makes the call.

There's just way too many variables right now, that NO ONE could predict what will happen, and more importantly, when.

So forgive us for not believing that you're correct, even if we might believe that YOU believe your "elite source". He/she might not even know the meaning of the information they're passing on to you, in the big picture.
I bet Jesus knows!

Here's a dumb question. If they KNOW that the two sides won't be able to come together in time to save the season, and they know this in April, then how do they know they will finalize whatever deal is being worked on with enough time to even only delay the season two weeks.

No one, not even the players or owners, know when a negotiation will end. Not doubting your elite source, just doubting their confidence in relying on any source, since any deal nees to be run by/approved by 32 player reps/team, the union boss, and 32 diffrent owners and likely king Goddell as well.
I bet Jesus knows!

I've never known an elite source to be wrong, I ride with GM on this one.
True. Elite sources are elite for a reason.We should all be so thankful that GM posts here and relays his elite insider info.
Why the attitude?I'm of the opinion that it is posts like this that can cause people with good info to not post because they don't want the grief.
Because it's people like this that clutter the board with attention-seeking posts. Implying that he is privy to insider information from his "elite source" is a dead giveaway for this sort of thing. Mark "this post" (i.e., "my words") when presumably they weren't even his to begin with is another. The most elite insiders are in that court room, and they don't even know how long this will go on, much less Gridiron Menace and his email surfing fame with ESPN elites.This medium is a playground for people like GM to boast and brag and seek out respect. LHUCKS has made a career out of this sort of thing. So if you're right and challenging these types of posts with a little bite contributes to less of them, that's a good thing.

I think the OP lost credibility when he used the semantics of "elite source".....which immediately prompts questioning, negativity and snickering.

The OP posted it the 17th, and the report was on Yahoo on the 14th.

Either way, thanks for the headsup

True. Elite sources are elite for a reason.We should all be so thankful that GM posts here and relays his elite insider info.
Why the attitude?I'm of the opinion that it is posts like this that can cause people with good info to not post because they don't want the grief.
Thank you. People like Cobalt have nothing better to do. They read Rotoworld and come here to start a post with the same info. If it isn't listed on Rotoworld or KFFL, then it doesn't happen, according to people like Cobalt. He can talk all he wants about mocking my "elite" source, but what else am I to say? If I just come out and say that the season is most likely going to be delayed 2 weeks, then everyone will come out and ask how I know that and why I think that. I happen to have a contact within ESPN that is pretty high on the food chain. He has access to confidential info higher than him. He was just passing it on. I'm not going to name him.Oh and guess what Cobalt, I am very good personal friends with one of the doctors on the Chicago Bears training staff. A matter of fact, I go out on Saturday night with this man at least once per month. I know you are all happy for me, but I have access to inside information with all things Chicago Bears. I can tell you if a guy is really hurt. I know who the leader in the locker room is. I can tell you what the players think about Jay Cutler or Forte or Hester or whatever. Players talk. There actually are people out there that aren't reporters that know people with access. I'm not claiming I know everything and I'm certainly not trying to reinvent the wheel. I was just passing along information that I had that I think most people here would like to know about. I said mark this post in the title, because I knew people like Cobalt wouldn't believe me and would shoot me down. I was just staying ahead of the curve.

In any event, people like Cobalt do make me consider contributing inside info for the community to read moving forward. I can't wait for the season to start on time, so he can come on here to say that he told me so. I also can't wait for the season to start 2 weeks late and have him come on here and say that he isn't impressed and that I'm just an attention whore. Either way it's a win-win for him. Must be rough to criticize other people, but yet, never come forth with information/opinions of his own. :bye:

Thank you. People like Cobalt have nothing better to do. They read Rotoworld and come here to start a post with the same info. If it isn't listed on Rotoworld or KFFL, then it doesn't happen, according to people like Cobalt. He can talk all he wants about mocking my "elite" source, but what else am I to say? If I just come out and say that the season is most likely going to be delayed 2 weeks, then everyone will come out and ask how I know that and why I think that. I happen to have a contact within ESPN that is pretty high on the food chain. He has access to confidential info higher than him. He was just passing it on. I'm not going to name him.Oh and guess what Cobalt, I am very good personal friends with one of the doctors on the Chicago Bears training staff. A matter of fact, I go out on Saturday night with this man at least once per month. I know you are all happy for me, but I have access to inside information with all things Chicago Bears. I can tell you if a guy is really hurt. I know who the leader in the locker room is. I can tell you what the players think about Jay Cutler or Forte or Hester or whatever. Players talk. There actually are people out there that aren't reporters that know people with access. I'm not claiming I know everything and I'm certainly not trying to reinvent the wheel. I was just passing along information that I had that I think most people here would like to know about. I said mark this post in the title, because I knew people like Cobalt wouldn't believe me and would shoot me down. I was just staying ahead of the curve.

In any event, people like Cobalt do make me consider contributing inside info for the community to read moving forward. I can't wait for the season to start on time, so he can come on here to say that he told me so. I also can't wait for the season to start 2 weeks late and have him come on here and say that he isn't impressed and that I'm just an attention whore. Either way it's a win-win for him. Must be rough to criticize other people, but yet, never come forth with information/opinions of his own. :bye:
Wow. You're more of a mess than I originally thought. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread