What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marlon Brown - let's discuss (1 Viewer)

I didn't see the game, but the Ravens did nothing on offense early in the game, and then grabbed a double digit lead thanks to a pick-6 and a special teams return, a lead they never relinquished, so that didn't help. But games like this are gonna happen.

I didn't see the game either. All I have to go by is this MFL blurb:

(Rotoworld)Marlon Brown caught just two passes for six yards in Sunday's Week 3 win over the Texans.

Analysis: The Ravens barely had the ball in the first half as they scored a defensive touchdown and brought back a punt for another score. In the second half, Joe Flacco stared down Torrey Smith and Dallas Clark while also relying on the running game. It resulted in just three targets for Brown, all of the underneath variety. He'll have bigger games when the Ravens go more pass-heavy -- but that likely won't be at Buffalo in Week 4.
Glad I didn't start him. And one week is too reactionary to dump him....yet. Anybody who saw the game can provide some insight?

He's a hold in dynasty but in redraft I can't see him as anything more than a WR4 with maybe WR3 upside. The offense isn't great and he's not the first option.

I was riding him until he stopped his streak of scoring TDs (going back into preseason). Now that the streak has been stopped I will likely pull him....if Roddy White could get healthy!

Where are you valuing him compared to the Keenan Allens and Justin Hunters of the world?
I don't think Hunter is a perfect prospect, but I would still take him ahead of Brown. He is an atypical package, but his height, speed, and crazy leaping ability give him a pretty high ceiling IMO despite his glaring flaws. I think he is capable of having individual seasons like the one Sidney Rice had with Favre back in the day.

I would probably take Brown ahead of Allen right this minute. Brown has already shown a lot of the signs that you can only hope for from Allen.

So.... anyone watch wth happened today? Was he covered? Did they not look his way?
Hou defense smothered the underneath and did not respect the deep ball at all. Going into halftime the Ravens had less than 30 yards of offense but had the lead thanks to a pick 6 and a punt return TD. Hou defense continued to play stout but their offense could not mount a comeback the 3rd game in a row. Flacco eventually started taking some shots downfield to Torrey that paid off a few times but were hit or miss and did not loosen up the Hou def much. The final score should not reflect well on the Bal Off, they were shut down nearly the entire game and the Hou Off & Special Teams and penalties on Def dug them into a hole so deep they couldn't climb out of it.

tarheel4ever said:
The real question is will the Ravens and thus Brown take advantage of the Bills matchup in Week 4?
I'm definitely picking him up & playing him this week. Bills secondary injuries aren't even fair.

Being a dynasty owner as well as redraft with M Brown, I'm just frustrated. I've chased the #2 in both BAL and HOU over the years and there are certain offenses that just don't seem to support 2 start able WRs.

Being a dynasty owner as well as redraft with M Brown, I'm just frustrated. I've chased the #2 in both BAL and HOU over the years and there are certain offenses that just don't seem to support 2 start able WRs.
I think Hopkins changes the thinking for Houston, but I am going to dump Brown myself in a dynasty

He's in a good situation, but he's not a guy that's going to stop Ozzie from spending picks at the WR position in 2014 if talent is available.

I see more value in redraft than dynasty. I think he's likely to have more competition, and likely better pedigreed competition for his job in future seasons.

He's in a good situation, but he's not a guy that's going to stop Ozzie from spending picks at the WR position in 2014 if talent is available.

I see more value in redraft than dynasty. I think he's likely to have more competition, and likely better pedigreed competition for his job in future seasons.
I think they will take a stab at some WR's, but I don;t think they will spend a high pick there in 2014. Brown was an elite college recruit who got derailed by injuries. If he has a rookie season comparable to Mike WIlliams (TBB) I think he is BAL's WR2 to stay.

I think he would be a favorite to beat out any non first round pick.

Baltimore is pretty terrible at drafting WRs. Don't forget that.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think he would be a favorite to beat out any non first round pick.

Baltimore is pretty terrible at drafting WRs. Don't forget that.
That second part is accurate. No argument.

I think the fact he went undrafted is predicated on more than just the ACL and the usage pattern at GA. I certainly could be wrong, but as the season presses on I would guess his struggles increase. I think any player drafted in the first four rounds next year will give him more than a run for his money for his spot.

Again, I freely admit I could be wrong. In fact I hope I am as he's a great story. I just see a player that is closer to JAG than a productive regular.

Where are you valuing him compared to the Keenan Allens and Justin Hunters of the world?
I don't think Hunter is a perfect prospect, but I would still take him ahead of Brown. He is an atypical package, but his height, speed, and crazy leaping ability give him a pretty high ceiling IMO despite his glaring flaws. I think he is capable of having individual seasons like the one Sidney Rice had with Favre back in the day.

I would probably take Brown ahead of Allen right this minute. Brown has already shown a lot of the signs that you can only hope for from Allen.
This is an interesting trio to compare, as each has shown elite skills at times, but they each came into the league off an injury which hurt their draft status.

I still have Hunter and Allen ranked ahead of Brown for Dynasty purposes, but not by a considerable margin. Brown was well behind both in my preseason dynasty rankings, but Brown has closed that gap. Brown has done more with his opportunity to this point than have either Hunter or Allen, and that has to count for something.

I still believe long-term Hunter and Allen are better prospects, but a think a reasonable argument could also be made for Brown.

Rotoworld:

Updating a previous item, Marlon Brown strained his hamstring in Week 4.
The injury was originally reported as a thigh issue. Regardless, coach John Harbaugh said he thinks Brown has a good chance to practice this week. He needs to stay on the field and perform in order to hold off Jacoby Jones (knee) for No. 2 duties.

Source: Baltimore Sun

Rotoworld:

Marlon Brown (hamstring) is listed as questionable for Week 5 after returning to a "limited" practice Friday.

He's tentatively expected to start, but isn't a fantasy option with Jacoby Jones (knee) potentially stealing snaps, and Brown's own injury problems.
Jacoby Jones (knee) is listed as questionable for Week 5 against the Dolphins after a limited practice Friday.

Coach John Harbaugh indicated after Friday's workout that Jones was more on the "full" side of the "limited" practice, but the Ravens still haven't decided whether he'll play against Miami. Jones is shaping up as a game-time decision.

So how do we feel about the situation going forward. Here's a quick break down of last week..

Snap Percentage

Smith - 95%

Brown - 71%

Doss - 62%

Jones - 26%

Targets

Smith - 4

Brown - 7

Doss - 6

Jones - 2

Smith was doubled all day and I consider this to be an obvious outlier. Still, Brown saw the most targets on day and that's obviously a great sign. If the aforementioned stats stayed constant, I'd feel comfortable labeling him a WR3 but Smith's outlier has me believing these stats hold less weight.

He's made a lot of big plays in few touches so far -- something that's carried over from the preseason.

He's got to stay healthy and will probably go through more than the usual amount of growing pains since he was so raw coming in, but I like him better than any rookie WR except Hopkins.

He's made a lot of big plays in few touches so far -- something that's carried over from the preseason.

He's got to stay healthy and will probably go through more than the usual amount of growing pains since he was so raw coming in, but I like him better than any rookie WR except Hopkins.
Allen is leagues ahead of him if we're talking redraft and likely dynasty as well.

In redraft, I think he's a WR4 with WR3 potential. Basically a guy that you don't want to be starting outside of bye weeks.

In dynasty, there is more intrigue. At the very least, he's shown that he belongs as a regular in the NFL. We're not talking about 1-2 fluke plays at this point, but rather a solid pattern dating back to the last few weeks of the preseason where he's consistently finding a way to impact the games.

The big question is ceiling. How good can he be? Career role player? Above average #2 NFL WR? #1 NFL WR? I think he's a solid hold in dynasty and maybe even a sneaky buy if you can get him for something like a 2nd round rookie pick or maybe even a late 1st. At worst you're getting a guy who can be a serviceable backup.

By the way, kind of funny story. I originally bid about $470 for him in HA4 the week when you got him. Then, in a moment of frugality, I went in later that night and lowered my bid to around $375. You bid something like $425 and ended up winning him over there. :wall:

I did still get him in most places, so I'm happy overall.

In redraft, I think he's a WR4 with WR3 potential. Basically a guy that you don't want to be starting outside of bye weeks.

In dynasty, there is more intrigue. At the very least, he's shown that he belongs as a regular in the NFL. We're not talking about 1-2 fluke plays at this point, but rather a solid pattern dating back to the last few weeks of the preseason where he's consistently finding a way to impact the games.

The big question is ceiling. How good can he be? Career role player? Above average #2 NFL WR? #1 NFL WR? I think he's a solid hold in dynasty and maybe even a sneaky buy if you can get him for something like a 2nd round rookie pick or maybe even a late 1st. At worst you're getting a guy who can be a serviceable backup.
Very much agree here. As for his ceiling, he's already proven to be a very viable RZ target and again, showed some big play ability on that 59 yard catch and run. I think it's quite high as he becomes more polished.

I just want to say, this is the reason it pays to watch preseason action.

Allen is leagues ahead of him if we're talking redraft and likely dynasty as well.
I need a way to autopost [Dynasty] in all my comments. I forget redraft might be interested in rookies too.

I don't want to derail a good thread, but I think Brown is more likely to turn into a player that can succeed without a an elite QB, without a HOF TE drawing double teams, or while facing #1 CBs.

By the way, kind of funny story. I originally bid about $470 for him in HA4 the week when you got him. Then, in a moment of frugality, I went in later that night and lowered my bid to around $375. You bid something like $425 and ended up winning him over there. :wall:

I did still get him in most places, so I'm happy overall.
After that 4th preseason game I think I bit something like 40% of my remaining WW budget in every league where I hadn't picked him up earlier. So it was just dumb luck that I had enough left to beat your bid there. Will be curious to see how things play out.

Brown seems to me like a poor man's Marques Colston. A big body that lacks any significant speed but can simply outcompete most d-backs on a jump ball due to size and strength. Can also work the middle fairly well. Flacco has shown plenty of faith in their young partnership so far.

Brown seems to me like a poor man's Marques Colston. A big body that lacks any significant speed but can simply outcompete most d-backs on a jump ball due to size and strength. Can also work the middle fairly well. Flacco has shown plenty of faith in their young partnership so far.
Colston could be a poor man's Brown by the time it's all said and done. Easy to forget this guy is less than 1 year removed from an ACL injury and his bio reads like a greek tragedy. Seems like every time he got started in college something happened to derail his momentum. He was the nation's 5th ranked WR coming out of high school so his pure talent is very real. Anxious to see if this is currently his ceiling or if next year we'll look back and say, "Wow...who knew 2013 was just Marlon Brown getting his legs back".

What I love most about Marlon is how it seems Flacco is always looking to get him the ball in the redzone.

What I dislike most is that Flacco is the QB and I can't see his offense supporting two FF starters at WR.

I'd be buying in dynasty but his ceiling looks capped in redraft or less keeper leagues.

Rotoworld

Coach John Harbaugh said Jacoby Jones' offensive role will grow.
Making his return from a sprained MCL, Jones played on just 20-of-70 offensive snaps in the loss to the Packers. He caught two passes for 42 yards with a touchdown on two targets. "It was great," Harbaugh said. "Jacoby gave us a speed element out there, and he'll probably play more and more offensively as we go forward." It's bad news for the WR3 hopes of Marlon Brown, who racked up a 3/71/0 line on seven targets while playing 48 snaps against the Pack.

I'm not that worried about Jacoby Jones. Seventh year in the league and he's never had more than 562 receiving yards in a season.

Good athlete and return man. Very pedestrian WR.

Anyways, I'm hoping I won't have to start Brown very often this season. Mainly looking at him as a dynasty prospect.

So how do we feel about the situation going forward. Here's a quick break down of last week..

Snap Percentage

Smith - 95%

Brown - 71%

Doss - 62%

Jones - 26%

Targets

Smith - 4

Brown - 7

Doss - 6

Jones - 2

Smith was doubled all day and I consider this to be an obvious outlier. Still, Brown saw the most targets on day and that's obviously a great sign. If the aforementioned stats stayed constant, I'd feel comfortable labeling him a WR3 but Smith's outlier has me believing these stats hold less weight.
Update on snaps this week?

Always love to see a young player take a nice step forward after a team's bye week. Sometimes it means that during their review of the season to date the coaches have decided the guy has earned more opportunities and that they're actively working to get him the ball.

And coming off the bye week Brown got 10 targets, converting 6 of them into 54 yards, 2 TDs and a 2-pt conversion.

I had him in a bunch of lineups yesterday out of desperation, but what's the thinking going forward? Is he a weekly start? WR4? Continued bye-week/injury filler?

Users who are viewing this thread