What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvin Jones (1 Viewer)

i don't think sanu is near the playmaker and my league agrees- can't even get a 4th round rookie pick for him
I was able to acquire him for a 6th round rookie pick (IDP league), so that seems consistent. I'm actually inclined to think both Jones and Sanu are undervalued because of the uncertainty about their target distribution.

Rotoworld:

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has called out Marvin Jones for being timid through the early days of camp.

Coming back from a serious foot/ankle issue, Jones has been missing time with leg soreness. "Marvin's got to get to practice if Marvin wants to get to play," Lewis said. "That's part of it. He hasn't played football for us in a year, basically. He had two or three practices or whatever he had last year in the fall. Marvin's got to get prepared to play NFL football." We're guessing Jones got the message loud and clear. Provided he stays healthy, Jones will get the opportunity to make plays opposite superstar A.J. Green this season.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
Aug 6 - 1:40 PM

Rotoworld:

Marvin Jones - WR - Bengals

Marvin Jones is missing practice time due to a hamstring injury and "general body soreness."

As beat writer Coley Harvey notes, Jones is getting used to the every-day football grind after missing all of last season with a recurring ankle/foot injury. Harvey believes Jones could "be back sometime next week." Jones remains the favorite to start opposite A.J. Green, but still has to old off Mohamed Sanu.

Source: Coley Harvey on Twitter

Aug 8 - 12:22 AM

Rotoworld:

Marvin Jones is listed behind Mohamed Sanu on the Bengals' first unofficial depth chart.

It's not a surprise with Jones missing a bunch of practice time thanks to a hamstring strain and general soreness. He's scuffling a bit as he comes off a year on the sidelines. Jones still has a month to get his body right and beat out Sanu for snaps in two-wide sets. He remains a fine late-round flier pick.

Related: Mohamed Sanu

Source: Paul Dehner Jr. on Twitter
Aug 10 - 12:16 PM

Rotoworld:

Marvin Jones practiced in full pads for the first time in training camp on Wednesday.

Jones has been dealing with nagging ankle, foot, and hamstring injuries ever since his 10-touchdown 2013 campaign. Jones was recently challenged publicly by coach Marvin Lewis, and up until Wednesday had been practicing on the "second and third teams." He practiced with the ones in Wednesday's session. "It felt good for me, for him to feel good," OC Hue Jackson said. "It's been a process for him. I think he's in the next stage of the process. He's doing a good job."

Aug 12 - 8:10 PM

Always believed in Marvin Jones talent coming out of Cal. Then he had that unfortunate foot injury that killed his season last year. Has not had the early season impact I expected, though he did have a sweet looking TD week 1. What are people doing with him? End of the bench bye week filler or waiver wire?

Always believed in Marvin Jones talent coming out of Cal. Then he had that unfortunate foot injury that killed his season last year. Has not had the early season impact I expected, though he did have a sweet looking TD week 1. What are people doing with him? End of the bench bye week filler or waiver wire?
Holding him for now. Looks like he moved past Sanu in the pecking order.

Actually drafted him with last few round picks in 2 leagues. I was pleased with last weeks output vs week one. His snap count is higher than Sanu which is the opportunity you look for. If dalton and he can get some chemistry together I think he could have a decent to good year in standard leagues.

My honest opinion as a Bengals fan is that he's really only rosterable in deep big leagues. The offense has become quite diversified - Hue has put in a ton of wrinkles. He's pretty a much a boom or bust proposition with all the mouths to feed in that offense:

AJ, Hill (or if necesssary Gio), Eifert all are going to get fed first. They like to mix in other guys (Sanu has gotten red-zone looks). They sneak stuff in for Burkhead. Hell, Jake Fisher went for a 31-yard catch last week. It's just not a standard offense in terms of 2nd receiver use. Green's locked up for 4 more years so the view isn't going to change for Marvin. Stash and hope or bye week flyer. Talented player, but upside I do not see.

-QG

Week One. Bengals ran 65 offensive plays.
31 were runs

34 were passes

3 were targets to Marvin Jones (2 catches)

7 different receivers were targeted. Two players with 0 targets (Hill and um, Dalton) had carries.

Week Two. Bengals ran 62 offensive plays.

36 were runs

1 of those runs was by Jones

26 were passes

5 were targets to Marvin Jones (2 catches)

9 different receivers were targeted. Play Dalton had carries.

9 plays out of 127 were for Jones. It's just a balanced and diversified offense. It will take a very special circumstance/ridiculous mismatch to see him get big targets in a game outside of a change in circumstances.

-QG

QuizGuy66 said:
Week One. Bengals ran 65 offensive plays.

31 were runs

34 were passes

3 were targets to Marvin Jones (2 catches)

7 different receivers were targeted. Two players with 0 targets (Hill and um, Dalton) had carries.

Week Two. Bengals ran 62 offensive plays.

36 were runs

1 of those runs was by Jones

26 were passes

5 were targets to Marvin Jones (2 catches)

9 different receivers were targeted. Play Dalton had carries.

9 plays out of 127 were for Jones. It's just a balanced and diversified offense. It will take a very special circumstance/ridiculous mismatch to see him get big targets in a game outside of a change in circumstances.

-QG
Good analysis, but I suppose one could look at this differently.

Week 1 - Cincy blows out OAK and they don't target Jones much

Week 2 - Cincy in a close game and Jones gets 6 touches, scores a TD.

------------

You could very well be right, and in fact I'm leaning your direction, but after moving ahead of Sanu, getting 6 touches and scoring, Jones bought himself another week or two on the end of my roster. Admittedly, the wire in my league is thin.

Hmmm, Marvin is starting to look more attractive. AJ gonna get a lot of attention. Could see that TD machine of a few years ago come back. Haven't seen the snap counts, but he looked to be on the field in the 2 WR sets I saw

We'll see. A good week this week. But alas, Eifert wasn't targeted much (though he had that TD stupidly taken away). Sanu got an endzone look as well. I stand by my sense of him fantasywise (would be plenty glad as a Bengals fan to be proven wrong).

He's a complement not the guy. On a team with many to feed footballs to.

-QG

QuizGuy66 said:
We'll see. A good week this week. But alas, Eifert wasn't targeted much (though he had that TD stupidly taken away). Sanu got an endzone look as well. I stand by my sense of him fantasywise (would be plenty glad as a Bengals fan to be proven wrong).

-QG
He's a solid #2. There will be weeks where he puts up nothing, there will be weeks where he has a solid (or possibly even great) fantasy game. He'll finish in the top 36 WRs, with a decent chance of finishing top-24. Value him accordingly.

WR3 I can see. WR2. No. Like I said, usually gonna be a bye-week guy.

-QG
Prior to this week, Bloom, Dodds, and Tremblay all had him ranked outside the top 50 WRs in the Top 200 Forward. In the early projections for this week, Tremblay has him at #35 for week 4. I think that's probably low for him; he's below Nate Washington, Doug Baldwin, Allen Hurns. #24 is Michael Crabtree, Jarvis Landry territory, and he's probably not there yet. I'd group him around Stevie Johnson, Percy Harvin, in the high 20s.

I'm a fan. Marvin was in for 87% of the snaps last game. Teams have to respect AJ, and there is always an opportunity for Jones when that happens. He's a good player.

High-end WR3 IMO. Great bye week fill-in or flex play. Currently WR31 in my PPR league, but the usage and production have increased the last 3 weeks.

Week 1: 43 snaps, 3 targets, 2 rec, 19 yds, 0 TD = 3.9 points

Week 2: 53 snaps, 5 targets, 2 rec, 48 yds, 1 TD + (1 rush for 3 yds) = 13.1 points

Week 3: 67 snaps, 8 targets, 5 rec, 94 yds, 1 TD = 20.4 points

More importantly, he looks the part (passes the eye test). His speed and route running are pretty good from what I have seen. A really nice one-handed grab for ~30 yards on the game winning drive. He's an injury away from being an every week starter IMO and a nice WR3/Flex guy to roster.

The Ravens have had a couple strangely bad pass defense games. Crabtree had a ton of targets on them too. Two straight lousy games vs WR2s.

Last edited by a moderator:
He looked really good. Better than he ever has, I would say. And he seems destined for single coverage no matter how well he plays. With Cincy not being able to run the ball much and about to face a host of difficult opponents, there is a good chance he continues to post stats like this week's.

QuizGuy66 said:

-QG
He's a solid #2. There will be weeks where he puts up nothing, there will be weeks where he has a solid (or possibly even great) fantasy game. He'll finish in the top 36 WRs, with a decent chance of finishing top-24. Value him accordingly.
If Jones is a solid #2 on your team your receivers must be horrible. Solid #2 on the Bengals? Yes.

QuizGuy66 said:

-QG
If Jones is a solid #2 on your team your receivers must be horrible. Solid #2 on the Bengals? Yes.
That's what I meant; he's among the most solid of the group of complementary NFL receivers. He's not going to be Julio Jones, or even Keenan Allen, but he's better than Stevie Johnson.

QuizGuy66 said:

-QG
That's what I meant; he's among the most solid of the group of complementary NFL receivers. He's not going to be Julio Jones, or even Keenan Allen, but he's better than Stevie Johnson.
Agreed but my concern is that the Bengals are going to lean more on the run as the season goes on since they have two really good RB and Jones is third after Green and Eifert. He needs to be rosettes but I wouldn't count on him as anything more than a depth guy. He's not James Jones in that offense.

I'm a fan. Marvin was in for 87% of the snaps last game. Teams have to respect AJ, and there is always an opportunity for Jones when that happens. He's a good player.
That snap count his huge. He's my flex going forward with Julio, Evans and S. Smith. Bye weeks he'll be WR3. Can put up some monster games, good in the red zone.

Someone spent half of their budget on him in my league. Wow.
Too much for sure but he will always be a boom or bust WR4, He dropped a potential 60 yard TD today. Keep in it perspective and he will be a decent bench guy.

Game planning is going to make it very tough to tell when Jones will break out. Today was Sanu's day. They are using all of their weapons.

-QG

Jones has continued to have some very good games in the Cincy offense. Anyone have any opinion or info on his usage vs Green and Sanu. I'm really tempted to let him roll as a WR3/flex coining out of the bye.

Player TM Wk1 Wk2 Wk3 Wk4 Wk5 Wk6 Targ T/TmG T/G REC YD Y/R TD Rec%

A.J. Green CIN 8 4 13 10 8 7 --- 50 8.3 8.3 35 531 15.2 3 70.0

Tyler Eifert CIN 12 5 3 4 12 4 --- 40 6.7 6.7 28 342 12.2 6 70.0

Marvin Jones CIN 3 5 8 2 8 12 --- 38 6.3 6.3 24 321 13.4 3 63.2

Mohamed Sanu CIN 3 2 4 6 5 4 --- 24 4.0 4.0 16 260 16.2 0 66.7

Giovani Bernard CIN 6 3 4 0 8 2 --- 23 3.8 3.8 18 119 6.6 0 78.3

Team targets are above. - Keep in mind Green went nuts Week 3 for 13/10/227/2.

Last two weeks he has faced Seattle and Buffalo.

He's got a nice schedule upcoming:

Chi

Pit

GB

Cle

NE

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm rolling him out as a WR4/flex. I don't know if I would be comfortable with him as a WR3 even though he is one on paper. The thing about him is you have to start him every week to benefit from his sporadic usage. If you start playing matchups and spot start him, he will frustrate you on some weeks due to low usage. Then you bench him and he blows up. Start him every week and live with the few inevitable 2-3 point games.

How would you rate Jones relative to other seemingly similar WRs that could be available -- such as Washington or Amendola? Would he have more upside, but also a bigger downside given the large number of mouths that need to be fed in Cincinnati?

I'm looking at Diggs or Jones. Targets are way up on both over the last two weeks. I drafted Jones. Had to give up on him during the bye. Not sure who I will go after yet to pick back up. Diggs looks fantastic. Jones is in a high powered offense.

Rotoworld:

Impending free agent WR Marvin Jones said he will not accept a "hometown discount."

"I'd like to be back, but at the same time I am a free agent – no hometown discount, definitely not – but I'm a free agent," Jones told NFL Media prior to the Super Bowl. "It wouldn't be good for me not to test the waters a little bit. So it's just an exciting process." Poised to be the top free agent receiver available, it does not make sense for Jones to accept less money to play second fiddle to A.J. Green for the next several seasons. Jones should land himself a nice contract and potentially a No. 1 job this offseason.

Feb 9 - 10:13 AM

Users who are viewing this thread