What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Mass Casualty Event" in Las Vegas (2 Viewers)

Doug B said:
there is much weirdness and irregularity about the Paddock case. It is not a straightforward case so far as the public can see.
there's weirdness and irregularity about ..... every case. 

it's the nature of not being able to read minds. police often speculate about motive based on the evidence they find. the public fills in gaps based on their presumptions.

maybe the guy hated America. maybe he was trying to leave his name in the history books. maybe he thought it was a gag and the guns were filled with blanks. maybe he was trying to kill one specific person. who knows.

it's the nature of not being able to read minds. police often speculate about motive based on the evidence they find. the public fills in gaps based on their presumptions.

maybe the guy hated America. maybe he was trying to leave his name in the history books. maybe he thought it was a gag and the guns were filled with blanks. maybe he was trying to kill one specific person. who knows.
But where is the video? Show me how he got all those guns up there! What about the muzzle flash on the 4th floor? 

Being sarcastic for the record.

I don't agree, at least not at a macro level. James Holmes, Adam Lanza, and Derek Harris + Eric Kliebolt (sp?), were pretty open-and-shut. Among most others.

Per today's CNN report, implicating a second person 4 months later would be pretty irregular.

Per today's CNN report, implicating a second person 4 months later would be pretty irregular.
didn't news break that his gf's fingerprints were found on the ammo? 

that doesn't seem terribly newsworthy or conspiracy confirming. 

she lied and said she didn't know anything up front. seems pretty straightforward. she panicked and now she got caught in a lie.

James Holmes, Adam Lanza, and Derek Harris + Eric Kliebolt (sp?), were pretty open-and-shut. Among most others.
You only say that now because you've got the benefit of several years hindsight.

One man's "open-and-shut" is another man's Sandy Hook Truther.

she lied and said she didn't know anything up front. seems pretty straightforward. she panicked and now she got caught in a lie.
Not even a mildish prosaic conspiracy? Something along the lines of: business interests along The Strip (maybe just Mandalay Bay alone) moved a few chess pieces in a small way to make themselves look not-quite-so-bad, with one of the side effects being that some parts of the investigation have been delayed. Ergo, finding out stuff in January that could've perhaps been uncovered within a week or two of the shooting.

In other words, PR concerns conflicting with investigatory protocols with the result that investigators have been plodding through some mud longer than they'd have needed to otherwise.

Not even a mildish prosaic conspiracy? Something along the lines of: business interests along The Strip (maybe just Mandalay Bay alone) moved a few chess pieces in a small way to make themselves look not-quite-so-bad, with one of the side effects being that some parts of the investigation have been delayed. Ergo, finding out stuff in January that could've perhaps been uncovered within a week or two of the shooting.

In other words, PR concerns conflicting with investigatory protocols with the result that investigators have been plodding through some mud longer than they'd have needed to otherwise.
not even

Are we talking about the fingerprints here? That wasn't found out in january. that was known early. we just found out about in january. 

Are we talking about the fingerprints here? That wasn't found out in january. that was known early. we just found out about in january. 
Perhaps, then, a reasonable "conspiracy"** in preventing law-enforcement leaks? Ideally, such leaks never happen, of course -- but realistically, they almost always do. The lack of leaks alone is notable in comparison to similar investigations.

** "Conspiracy" here meaning "a bunch of people acting secretly and in unison for a common purpose". Perhaps that waters down the term for some.

Perhaps, then, a reasonable "conspiracy"** in preventing law-enforcement leaks? Ideally, such leaks never happen, of course -- but realistically, they almost always do. The lack of leaks alone is notable in comparison to similar investigations.

** "Conspiracy" here meaning "a bunch of people acting secretly and in unison for a common purpose". Perhaps that waters down the term for some.
What you have is a hotel chain that owns like half the strip that is likely doing everything they can to keep as many details as possible out of the public eye for as long as they can. My guess is that the police department is having to investigate as well as constantly navigate a legal battle for every press conference they hold and every tidbit of info they want to release.

The last thing they need is for video to get leaked that is largely irrelevant to the case, but looks bad for the hotel and the police get sued. 

I wouldnt be shocked if they came up with an agreement that gives them access whenever they want to video at mandalay under supervision, but aren't allowed to possess any of it unless MGM agrees. 

From yesterdays report

The FBI is probing a new person in its investigation into the October mass shooting on the Las Vegas strip that left 58 people dead, the country sheriff said on Friday.

"The FBI has an ongoing case against an individual of federal interest," Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo told a press conference.

The federal agency investigated Paddock's girlfriend Marilou Danley, but Lombardo said that charges were unlikely for her.

Link
The link also went on to say they still think he was a lone shooter and they still have no clear motive so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
6 months later we actually see some surveillance video.   NY Times Article

He brought 21 bags to his room over a 7 day period.  Nothing earth shattering, but hopefully these high profile places can learn a thing or two going forward. 

Still just a crazy tragedy all around. 

pfft, we went to a wedding last summer for 3 days. wife bought 8 bags by herself.
Yeah, but did she bring them to the room over the course of several days?

I'd bet that even the trade-show types who'd legitimately have a ton of bags wouldn't be moving them around in the same pattern as Paddock was moving his weapons & ammo.

Yeah, but did she bring them to the room over the course of several days?

I'd bet that even the trade-show types who'd legitimately have a ton of bags wouldn't be moving them around in the same pattern as Paddock was moving his weapons & ammo.
With all the trade show types out there though it really does make it hard to track someone like this. It’s something they can monitor for going forward but there are a ton of people in and out of town with heavy bags all the time. I thought the weight might be the red flag but trade shows is a good point, can’t assume people should just have clothes etc. what a crazy story. 

My (very spooky) view from my room during a recent visit...really drove home to me how vulnerable the crowd was:

https://ibb.co/j2KAun
Before it happened, I was in the suites about 20-25 floors directly below the one he was in. It was amazing how vividly the perceptive from those windows came back to me when I had heard this happened.

Also,  I was watching American Ninja Warrior the other day and I'm fairly certain it was staged in the same spot that concert was. On certain shots, you could see MB in the background, just looming over those grounds.

With all the trade show types out there though it really does make it hard to track someone like this. It’s something they can monitor for going forward but there are a ton of people in and out of town with heavy bags all the time. I thought the weight might be the red flag but trade shows is a good point, can’t assume people should just have clothes etc. what a crazy story. 
Yup. What the guy did wasn’t that unusual. Add that he’s a VIP there they aren’t going to question him bringing up a lot of bags over the course of a few days.

Mandatory room checks every couple days would have helped, perhaps some type of metal detectors which would open up a huge mess. 

These type of incidents show us that if you have a motivated crazy person we are really at their mercy. We can adjust and make new policies but there’s only so much that can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread