What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Police ambushed and killed in "start of revolution" in Vegas (2 Viewers)

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear
Two Las Vegas police officers and a civilian were reportedly killed Sunday in an apparent ambush attack at a pizza store that spilled over to a nearby Walmart store, where the two shooters killed themselves.

Details are sketchy and police have not yet confirmed the death of the officers, but sources within the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department say the officer and another were shot and killed by a man and a woman who approached them as they ate lunch at the CiCi’s Pizza at 309 N. Nellis Boulevard at about 11:20 a.m.

One officer was reportedly dead at the scene, while the other died later in surgery. Both were assigned to the Northeast Area Command.

Witnesses told police one yelled “This is the start of a revolution” before shooting the officers. The shooters then stripped the officers of their weapons and ammunition and went into the Walmart at 201 North Nellis. Witnesses at the scene reported hearing shots fired in quick succession inside the WalMart.

One unconfirmed report is that the two exchanged gunfire with a citizen who was carrying a concealed weapon, and that one of the shooters was injured. Police confirm that at least one civilian at the Walmart was shot and killed.

At a news conference at about 1 p.m. Assistant Sheriff Kevin McMahill said the male shooter, described as a tall white man, yelled “everyone get out” before shooting.

The man and woman then went to the back of the store and “there was some kind of suicide pact,” McMahill said.

Police sources said the officers were aged 41 and

Both shooters were reportedly carrying large duffle bags, and a bomb squad was called to the scene. It’s unclear at this time what, if anything, was found in the bags. A fire department official said the bomb squad response was “a precaution.” Several lanes of traffic near Nellis and Stuart are closed. Nevada Highway Patrol is also on scene.

Dozens of bystanders are standing outside police tape watching the investigation. Walmart employees and shoppers cried and hugged before police took them to be interviewed in a nearby store. After talking with witnesses, officers take them to one of several Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada buses.

A grandmother who was shopping in Walmart with her two teenage granddaughters said they crouched in a makeup aisle when they heard shots. She prayed out loud, but the girls asked her to keep quiet so the shooters wouldn’t find them. When they peaked around the aisle and couldn’t see the shooters, they ran out of the store.
WTF is going on?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not too common to have multiple shooters working together like this. Very odd.

RIP the three innocents in this story.

It's not too common to have multiple shooters working together like this. Very odd.

RIP the three innocents in this story.
Not all that common to ambush police in this country either. I now get all these notifications and updates for my new job, not sure I like this.

The revolution will not be televised, but may include crappy pizza

Now if only those two Las Vegas police officers would have been armed with guns...or at LEAST carried their weapons openly, so as to discourage any psycho/criminal element from acting out any aggression with their weapons, this senseless tragedy would have been averted. Isn't that kind of your standard-issue press release from the NRA and/or Open Carry "patriots" in situations such as this? Er...wait...

I'll agree that guns don't kill people. People kill people. But idiotic, selfish, delusional people would have a LOT more difficult time killing other people if they didn't have guns, and millions of people on the Conservative Right (who are smart enough to know better) wouldn't keep egging them on with their rhetoric and lies. And if this had ANYTHING to do with the Bundy Ranch and that stand-off from earlier in the year?! :kicksrock:

Now if only those two Las Vegas police officers would have been armed with guns...or at LEAST carried their weapons openly, so as to discourage any psycho/criminal element from acting out any aggression with their weapons, this senseless tragedy would have been averted. Isn't that kind of your standard-issue press release from the NRA and/or Open Carry "patriots" in situations such as this? Er...wait...

I'll agree that guns don't kill people. People kill people. But idiotic, selfish, delusional people would have a LOT more difficult time killing other people if they didn't have guns, and millions of people on the Conservative Right (who are smart enough to know better) wouldn't keep egging them on with their rhetoric and lies. And if this had ANYTHING to do with the Bundy Ranch and that stand-off from earlier in the year?! :kicksrock:
Damn. thought I could get in with the "BAN GUNS" before you. Plus you get bonus points for blaming this shooting on conservatives!

Damn. thought I could get in with the "BAN GUNS" before you. Plus you get bonus points for blaming this shooting on conservatives!
There's still the "ban ghosts with guns" angle for you to yell "FIRST!" on... :coffee:

There's still the "ban ghosts with guns" angle for you to yell "FIRST!" on... :coffee:
What?

Do we think banning guns will work better than , oh I don't know, banning drugs. Crazy people who want guns will get them.

There's always a ton of violence in that area. That's definitely a walmart I never go near with how ghetto that area is. Condolences to the families that were involved and had to witness this.

If the GOP would shame and ridicule these lunatics, banishing them to "Siberia" within the Party (Parties, if you count the Tea Party as it's own group) instead of celebrating their actions and egging them on? I'd be willing to wager a hefty sum that this particular type of violence in our country would be reduced over time. If people open their newspapers or turn on their TVs and radios, and all they (electively) are being fed is "arm yourself and hide the wimmens before the gub'ment comes and forces your children to learn that the Earth isn't (only) 6,000 years old...ushering-in the Obamaclypse and the final battle between good (White Jesus) and evil!," what do we expect as a society?! :shrug:

Not anywhere NEAR a majority of GOP apologists are __________ (you fill in the label/slur). The loons on that side of the aisle are, what, MAYBE (only) 2-3%? That said, why the other 47-48% tolerate and even encourage these morons boggles my mind. Enrages me, as a former "moderate Republican." If the GOP spent even 10% as much energy yanking the leash of the fringe loons in their Party as they do attacking the Left, our nation would be such a better place. But I think those days are gone. This is our new reality as a nation, for at least my lifetime. ####ing morons, not only being tolerated, but celebrated and encouraged. By people who refer to themselves as the "Party of God/Faith," no less.

If the GOP would shame and ridicule these lunatics, banishing them to "Siberia" within the Party (Parties, if you count the Tea Party as it's own group) instead of celebrating their actions and egging them on? I'd be willing to wager a hefty sum that this particular type of violence in our country would be reduced over time. If people open their newspapers or turn on their TVs and radios, and all they (electively) are being fed is "arm yourself and hide the wimmens before the gub'ment comes and forces your children to learn that the Earth isn't (only) 6,000 years old...ushering-in the Obamaclypse and the final battle between good (White Jesus) and evil!," what do we expect as a society?! :shrug:

Not NEARLY even a majority of GOP apologists are __________ (you fill in the label/slur). The loons on that side of the aisle are, what, MAYBE (only) 2-3%? That said, why the other 47-48% tolerate and even encourage these morons boggles my mind. Enrages me, as a former "moderate Republican." If the GOP spent even 10% as much energy yanking the leash of the fringe loons in their Party as they do attacking the Left, our nation would be such a better place. But I think those days are gone. This is our new reality as a nation, for at least my lifetime. ####ing morons, not only being tolerated, but celebrated and encouraged. By people who refer to themselves as the "Party of God/Faith," no less.
Such drivel.

Here come the gun arguments repeated ad nauseam. I keep telling people the issue is the fact that crazy people keep getting guns, and the state of mental health in this nation is a shambles.

Datonn, I like you, but WTF are you talking about? GOP apologists? What do they have to do with some crazy shootings?

Here come the gun arguments repeated ad nauseam. I keep telling people the issue is the fact that crazy people keep getting guns, and the state of mental health in this nation is a shambles.
So what's the solution then? A serious question.

Some seem to argue that the solution is to arm one's self to the teeth. I personally believe that is a recipe for creating MORE violence in our world, not less. And that's not a world I'd prefer my daughters to live in.

I'm sure I'll get push-back (HEAVY push-back) on this...but to me? How is this issue different than nuclear weapons? :shrug: You have the world's police force (America) and its allies possessing the ability to destroy the planet dozens of times over...doing everything in their power to keep other "non-friendlies" from getting their hands on nuclear weapons. Arguing that it will de-stabilize the world and result in more tension, violence and death. You have other nations (i.e. Iran) arguing that they should have the same right to nuclear technology (for energy purposes) and weapons if they so choose...and that not only is it not fair of nations such as the United States to prevent them from access to said technology/weapons, but that they themselves feel threatened/unsafe, and believe they should have the right to defend themselves. And then you have the non-nation states. The deposed governments. The terrorist organizations. Who also think they should have access to the same technology/weapons to make their world "safer" and better (their world view).

So...is the answer that ALL nations/organizations desiring nuclear weapons should have them? I would argue no...but maybe you'd disagree with me? Why is it a "right" for some, but not others? And if you cannot make the leap and see the analogy between gun rights and the rights to other types/forms of weapons, then maybe try thinking of it outside of what is in our best interests as Americans for a while. We've basically imposed our will on the world since the Soviet Union collapsed, for our benefit, and to support our ideal world view. But I can guarantee you that there are millions/billions out there who do not share those ideals.

It's unfortunate that anecdotes largely form the opinions on both sides of this issue, because anecdotes are rarely reflective of what society is really like. But it's a weakness we all have- I'm no different from anyone else: I read this horror, and my mind goes to what kind of new laws might prevent it. The fact that this sort of incident is extremely rare doesn't play a part in my initial thinking. I agree with you. I've given up on all gun control ideas at this point except for universal background checks, and that's in part connected to the mental illness issue which you correctly point out out really should be the emphasis.

Datonn, your analogy to nuclear weapons is absurd. I'm sympathetic to some of your views on this issue, and I know that you feel anguish over this story (I feel it too) but your arguments aren't working.

Where in the story do you gather they are crazy?

It's unfortunate that anecdotes largely form the opinions on both sides of this issue, because anecdotes are rarely reflective of what society is really like. But it's a weakness we all have- I'm no different from anyone else: I read this horror, and my mind goes to what kind of new laws might prevent it. The fact that this sort of incident is extremely rare doesn't play a part in my initial thinking.I agree with you. I've given up on all gun control ideas at this point except for universal background checks, and that's in part connected to the mental illness issue which you correctly point out out really should be the emphasis.
You know why anecdotes are so horrible, especially in this case? Because violent crime is significantly down compared to 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago. The reality is we live in a country with over 300 million people. There are going to be some nuts, and there are going to be some incidents. There is NOTHING we can do to completely prevent them. Why can't people acknowledge that and make it part of the conversation?

I think it's the part where they armed themselves from dead police officers, walked over to Wal-Mart, killed a stranger, shouted "this is the revolution" and killed each other.

I think it's the part where they armed themselves from dead police officers, walked over to Wal-Mart, killed a stranger, shouted "this is the revolution" and killed each other.
Ha. If you think that's crazy, you should hang out with Bird on a Tuesday night.

Why can't they be sane and malicious? Are sane people absent of malice?

I'll add:

Thankfully nuts like this looking to "start a revolution" weren't coordinated enough to assemble more like-minded folks

The part where they didn't decide to not shoot the police officers or yell Viva La Revolucion!

Sounds like it's unconfirmed at the moment, but the original article mentions one report that someone with a concealed carry exchanged gunfire with the two assailants and wounded one of them.

GordonGekko said:
I now get all these notifications and updates for my new job, not sure I like this.
Despite my differences with Doctor Detroit ( aside from a shared view of the excellence of Terriers and Boss as TV shows and some baseball views) and his insistence that i am, in fact, "disturbed"), I think after time and observation, I have a good understanding of him in general.

You've been hinting and edging on it for a while now. Tell us all about your new job. Why does it require notification of police shootings. Did you relocate in proximity to the AO of this incident? What is the risk factor of this new job of yours for situations like this?

Do you like this new job?

Is it a job or does it have career potential?

How did you get his job? ( from the telephone interview?)

Do you like the people you work with?

Does it work well with your commute and other issues regarding work and quality of life balance?

How would you compare it to your last job?

Piece of unsolicited advice, grain of salt accordingly, esp from a "disturbed" person like me clearly, if you want to talk about something in your life, talk about it. You've got 60K plus posts here, it's not like anyone is going to stop you or they would have long before now. The easiest way to let go of trepidation is to accept the things that we do is rarely ever about other people.

Bitter irony of this life, and become more true with age, the people that we often dislike the most are people that reflect things about ourselves. Something to consider when you decide how despicable my "self loathing" seems to be for you.

Speak up about you if you want, it's fine. Nothing wrong with staying close to your favorite subject.
:oldunsure:

What's the malicious part of screaming "this is the revolution" and executing a suicide pact?

It's unfortunate that anecdotes largely form the opinions on both sides of this issue, because anecdotes are rarely reflective of what society is really like. But it's a weakness we all have- I'm no different from anyone else: I read this horror, and my mind goes to what kind of new laws might prevent it. The fact that this sort of incident is extremely rare doesn't play a part in my initial thinking.I agree with you. I've given up on all gun control ideas at this point except for universal background checks, and that's in part connected to the mental illness issue which you correctly point out out really should be the emphasis.
You know why anecdotes are so horrible, especially in this case? Because violent crime is significantly down compared to 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago. The reality is we live in a country with over 300 million people. There are going to be some nuts, and there are going to be some incidents. There is NOTHING we can do to completely prevent them. Why can't people acknowledge that and make it part of the conversation?
Because that doesn't sell gun (among other things). ;)

The part where they didn't decide to not shoot the police officers or yell Viva La Revolucion!
So all murders are done by persons who aren't sane? Counsel, are you suggesting all murder cases should be decided as a reason of insanity with no murderers jailed but rather sent to an institution for rehabilitation?

So all murders are done by persons who aren't sane? Counsel, are you suggesting all murder cases should be decided as a reason of insanity with no murderers jailed but rather sent to an institution for rehabilitation?
:lmao: WTF is this?

There's the legal definition of crazy and then there is regular crazy, this would be the latter.

GordonGekko said:
I now get all these notifications and updates for my new job, not sure I like this.
Despite my differences with Doctor Detroit ( aside from a shared view of the excellence of Terriers and Boss as TV shows and some baseball views) and his insistence that i am, in fact, "disturbed"), I think after time and observation, I have a good understanding of him in general.

You've been hinting and edging on it for a while now. Tell us all about your new job. Why does it require notification of police shootings. Did you relocate in proximity to the AO of this incident? What is the risk factor of this new job of yours for situations like this?

Do you like this new job?

Is it a job or does it have career potential?

How did you get his job? ( from the telephone interview?)

Do you like the people you work with?

Does it work well with your commute and other issues regarding work and quality of life balance?

How would you compare it to your last job?

Piece of unsolicited advice, grain of salt accordingly, esp from a "disturbed" person like me clearly, if you want to talk about something in your life, talk about it. You've got 60K plus posts here, it's not like anyone is going to stop you or they would have long before now. The easiest way to let go of trepidation is to accept the things that we do is rarely ever about other people.

Bitter irony of this life, and become more true with age, the people that we often dislike the most are people that reflect things about ourselves. Something to consider when you decide how despicable my "self loathing" seems to be for you.

Speak up about you if you want, it's fine. Nothing wrong with staying close to your favorite subject.
:oldunsure:
I'm pretty sure the "Gordon Gekko" dossier is more than an inch thick.

What's the malicious part of screaming "this is the revolution" and executing a suicide pact?
You are assuming the suicide pact was inevitable and prearranged whereas I am assuming it was part of the plan if things went not as plannned

Ban guns? Did people miss the part how these #######s were stopped?

One unconfirmed report is that the two exchanged gunfire with a citizen who was carrying a concealed weapon, and that one of the shooters was injured.
How many more innocents would have died if that civilian wasnt concealed carrying?

Datonn, your analogy to nuclear weapons is absurd. I'm sympathetic to some of your views on this issue, and I know that you feel anguish over this story (I feel it too) but your arguments aren't working.
74,000+ posts on a message board is absurd...I'm embarrassed that I've wasted enough time to even roll-in at 10% of that number. Seriously...how are you not bankrupt and homeless yet? ;)

Seriously though, what makes the analogy "absurd?" Some people are armed, other people want to be armed, and the armed people think that's bad/destabilizing/dangerous, for any number of reasons. Does the absurdity come in based upon the quantity of people that can be killed? A knife can kill one at a time. An automatic rifle or machine gun can probably kill a few dozen (I don't even know how many rounds are in a magazine). Nuclear weapons will kill thousands/millions at once. What's absurd is taking another human being's life at all...whether it is one or one million people. But once you've done it? You can go ahead and surrender your own right to life as far as I am concerned. One bullet to rid the planet of said murderer's stench.

There's the legal definition of crazy and then there is regular crazy, this would be the latter.
Shooting another person is crazy? That happens all the time

Users who are viewing this thread