What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Jones with Leftwich vs Garrard (1 Viewer)

Righetti

Footballguy
Matt Jones finished the season (including playoffs) with42 catches for 526 yards and 5 TD's.he rushed 12 times for 51 yardsIf you look at his numbers in weeks 1 through 10 when Leftwich was the starting QB, you’ll see the start of a decent first year receiver. In those 10 total games you'll see that Matt Jones' numbers were far superior with Byron at the helm but as you can see both QB's took until about their 5th or 6th week to start using Matt Jones Extensively, especially in the red-zone (I took week 12 as a Garrard game since Leftwich completed only 2 passes for 18 yards, neither to Matt Jones.)Seattle 2/22/0 plus 2/28 rushing@ Ind 1/9/0 plus 2/7 rushing@NYJ 4/31/0Den 3/27/ plus 1/-7Cin 0/0/0@Pit 2/20/1 plus 1/-7@Stl 4/38/1Hou 3/21/0Balt 5/117/1 plus 2/12@Ten 3/46/1Garrard starts@Ari 1/7/0 plus 1/8@Cle 0/0/0 plus 1/3/0IND 3/28/0SF 2/11/0 plus 1/2@Hou 0/0/0 plus 1/5/0TEN 3/55/1 plus 0/0/0Leftwich starts the playoff game, but Garrard comes in@NE 6/94/0 (5/53/0 with Leftwich plus 1/41/0 Garrard) Total stats:11 games With Leftwich: 32/384/46 games with Garrard10/142/1it seems that it took both QB's some time to get comfortable with Matt Jones. In the 6th game of the season we started seeing Matt Jones score in the red-zone and in weeks 6 through 10 he put up 17 catches for 242 yards and 3 TD's and looked like he has turned the corner. This is also when Leftwich got hurt. Matt Jones' first 5 games with Leftwich were very similar to his first 6 games with Garrard. In the last week with Garrard and part of the playoff game it seemed that Garrard was utilizing Matt Jones more often.

LeftwichSeattle 2/22/0 plus 2/28 rushing@ Ind 1/9/0 plus 2/7 rushing@NYJ 4/31/0Den 3/27/ plus 1/-7Cin 0/0/0@Pit 2/20/1 plus 1/-7
Garrard@Ari 1/7/0 plus 1/8@Cle 0/0/0 plus 1/3/0IND 3/28/0SF 2/11/0 plus 1/2@Hou 0/0/0 plus 1/5/0TEN 3/55/1 plus 0/0/0
it seemed that he started coming together with both QB's around the 5th or 6th game played. Hopefully he'll be able to build upon that next year.I know some may have been disappointed in his first year, but I was not. This is all you could have expected out of a guy who never played the position. He gave you TD's in five different games and had one breakout game of 117 yards and a TD.. I hope that he uses the off-season to get better acquainted with his QB's and comes back a better wide receiver.

I know some may have been disappointed in his first year, but I was not.
I haven't looked at the season stats yet, but what rookie WRs posted better stats than Jones? Just curious. . .EDIT TO ADD: Okay, got off my butt and looked. Jones was only out-performed by Chris Henry this season (similar # of catches and yards, 6 TDs). B. Edwards was showing promise before the injury.

For never having played the position, I think you've got to be out-of-your mind excited about this guy's potential if you own him in a dynasty league.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those who are disappointed with Jones' first year numbers are those whose expectations were unrealistic.

I want to make a point about your analysis of MJ with Garrard. In the last game, where MJ's stats looked a bit better by comparison to all of the other Garrard games earlier, two of the passes and 23 yards, INCLUDING THE TD, were passes from Gray to MJ, NOT Garrard. To be honest, I saw little to suggest that Garrard and MJ were developing any kind of chemistry. In the playoff game, Garrard did go to MJ on two fourth down desperation conversions (one turned into a 40 yard reception and the other was close to a TD) late in the game when the outcome was not in doubt, but I don't think that situation and small sample size indicates any kind of improvement between Garrard and MJ. :thumbdown: I do agree that Leftwich has developed a nice chemistry with MJ after the first four or five games. You could see in the playoff game that he was looking for Jones alot as well.

For never having played the position, I think you've got to be out-of-your mind excited about this guy's potential if you own him in a dynasty league.
:goodposting: :thumbup: :D Looking at the progression, two things become apparent IMO.

1. it takes a QB time to develop chemistry with any WR - especially a rookie.

2. it takes a QB with a better arm to get Jones to his potential.

I know the comparison has been made, I made it back in August, but Leftwich and Jones are getting the on-field chemistry that Culpepper and Moss had. Neither CPep or Moss is as good without the other one because of their styles. This is how I see Lefty/Jones playing out in the next few years, but without the off-field issues. (or the need to come back as much in games, limiting their FF value)

I don't care WHO is throwing him the ball.........he won't be a productive FANTASY wr until the logjam of: J.Smith, R.Williams, Wilford, and M.Jones starts to thin out.And that's not going to happen this offseason.

I don't care WHO is throwing him the ball.........he won't be a productive FANTASY wr until the logjam of: J.Smith, R.Williams, Wilford, and M.Jones starts to thin out.

And that's not going to happen this offseason.
Reggie is doing his part in helping Mr. Jones :gang2: Jimmy Smith is one toke away as well isn't he?

I don't care WHO is throwing him the ball.........he won't be a productive FANTASY wr until the logjam of: J.Smith, R.Williams, Wilford, and M.Jones starts to thin out.

And that's not going to happen this offseason.
It only looks like a logjam on paper. IMO, the reality is that the "logjam" started thinning out this year already. Jimmy Smith still was productive, but was clearly losing targets as the year went on as Leftwich started going to MJ and Wilford more often. When Garrard came back, JS got many more looks as Garrard appeared to use JS as a crutch. More importantly, JS has the look of a WR on the verge of being put on the backburner. He will return, but may de facto have his role reduced in favor of more opportunities for MJ and Wilford. Those drops (three by my count) that JS had in the playoff game were brutal. One drop in particular on third down was arguably the turning point in the game.R. Williams is not a threat. He has been a starter for two years and has all of one touchdown. He is a headcase and now appears to have off the field problems.

The writing is on the wall for MJ to have a breakout season next year IMO.

I know some may have been disappointed in his first year, but I was not.
I haven't looked at the season stats yet, but what rookie WRs posted better stats than Jones? Just curious. . .EDIT TO ADD: Okay, got off my butt and looked. Jones was only out-performed by Chris Henry this season (similar # of catches and yards, 6 TDs). B. Edwards was showing promise before the injury.

------------------rec yds td Reggie Brown -43 571 4

Mark Clayton - 44 471 2

Roddy White - 29 446 3

Matt Jones - 36 432 5

Chris Henry - 31 422 6

add the two games of this year to it:

11 catches on 21 targets for 144 yards

If he can keep that up we'rd looking at 88/1152

lets move that back and call it about 70/1000 for the year.. not bad for a 2nd year guy

add the two games of this year to it:11 catches on 21 targets for 144 yardsIf he can keep that up we'rd looking at 88/1152lets move that back and call it about 70/1000 for the year.. not bad for a 2nd year guy
And he's firmly in my Top 15 Dynasty WR's. :thumbup:And :thumbdown: to the owners that continue to offer trash for him.

Users who are viewing this thread