What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Ryan most important player in your FF draft (1 Viewer)

ppierce

Footballguy
I think that Ryan will put up huge numbers this year and given the fact that his value is more in the 4th/5th round, he is one of the most essential players in this years ff draft. You should be able to get top 3-5 QB performance, without having to spend your 1st or 2nd round picks on Brady, Brees or Rogers.

EVERYBODY and their mamma seems to be high on Ryan this year.

I'm targeting him but jeez, bordering on overkill here.

Guy in my dynasty league just traded Foster and Schaub for Matt Ryan and T Rich (he's rebuilding) and he's thinking he won that deal in a landslide saying that Ryan will be the next Brady/Brees/Rodgers. He's "projecting" numbers higher than Eli this year for Matty ice.

His ADP hasn't been rocketing up as fast as Julio's, but he's certainly getting a significant coat-tail effect from him. He's jumped nearly a whole round in the last week, by most measures. If you're not drafting this weekend, I expect you'll be seeing him taken before both Romo and Peyton often, too. Don't think he can catch Vick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top 3-5?

Rodgers, Bree's, Brady, Stafford.

Cam, Eli, Romo, Vick.

All guys off the top of my head I like better and who have proved more as fantasy QBs than Ryan. No way he should be projected as top 3-5. He could do it but odds are on all the guys I listed.

Top 3-5?Rodgers, Bree's, Brady, Stafford. Cam, Eli, Romo, Vick. All guys off the top of my head I like better and who have proved more as fantasy QBs than Ryan. No way he should be projected as top 3-5. He could do it but odds are on all the guys I listed.
aren't you forgetting something?

Top 3-5?Rodgers, Bree's, Brady, Stafford. Cam, Eli, Romo, Vick. All guys off the top of my head I like better and who have proved more as fantasy QBs than Ryan. No way he should be projected as top 3-5. He could do it but odds are on all the guys I listed.
Come on you know he'll have a better year than Eli, Vick and Romo. Unsure on Cam. Eli has never been a great ff qb. Dont confuse superbowls with ff, Romo's offensive line is offensive. He wont have any time to throw the ball this year. Vick is Vick. You know he's getting injured.

I'm very high on Ryan this year as well, but you're right that there's quite a crowd there. Don't forget Rivers and Peyton, too. I honestly think it's just a roll of the dice once you get past Stafford; I don't see enough separating any of those guys to really scream "target this QB specifically." And really, the only reason I put Stafford at a higher level is because he's got the best receiver in the league and one of the two or three most beat-up and unimpressive running games in the league-- a perfect setup for 600+ pass attempts yet again.Perhaps Vick has a little downside if they're running him less and Eli has a little downside if the Giants move back to a more balanced offense, but you can find wrinkles for each guy. Historically, the second tier of QB scoring seems to feature about 4-6 QBs who finish within 1-2 PPG of each other and maybe one who makes The Leap to a 3-4 PPG advantage, so given that I'm pretty happy taking whomever I get. They've all got potential, but I'm not planning on reaching 1-2 rounds for a guy if I think any of the others will make it back to me. Rivers is my favorite target of the group right now just because he's the one who's been devalued most in ADP this year.

With the changes in Atlanta offense, and the growth of both J Jones and Jacquizz, I could see Ice as a top 5 QB this year.

Top 3-5?

Cam, Eli, Romo, Vick.

All guys off the top of my head I like better and who have proved more as fantasy QBs than Ryan. No way he should be projected as top 3-5. He could do it but odds are on all the guys I listed.
Come on you know he'll have a better year than Eli, Vick and Romo. Unsure on Cam. Eli has never been a great ff qb. Dont confuse superbowls with ff, Romo's offensive line is offensive. He wont have any time to throw the ball this year. Vick is Vick. You know he's getting injured.
Maybe it is just me but I really don't know he will have a better year than any of those QBs.

problem for me is i pick 4 in a 12 team league. to really guarantee i get him, i'd have to take him at 3.4. just dont think he'll be around at 4.9.

problem for me is i pick 4 in a 12 team league. to really guarantee i get him, i'd have to take him at 3.4. just dont think he'll be around at 4.9.
I too pick 4 in a 12 team league and I was previously targeting Ryan in the 4th (at pick # 45). With all this hype (G_d forbid he looks good again tonight on NFL Network) there is no doubt in my mind that he goes in the 3rd round in my league (6 pt. passing TDs), and it is quite possible that he'll be gone even before I pick in the 3rd round (at pick # 28).

Top 3-5?

Cam, Eli, Romo, Vick.

Why do people say the bolded part above?Never? Really?

Let's look at the most recent year...last year:

Over 4900 passing yards. 29 passing TDs. 1 rushing TD.

(Btw, his passing season last year was the 6th best single season total ever.)

I wouldn't say he's never been a great FF qb.

With the changes in Atlanta offense, and the growth of both J Jones and Jacquizz, I could see Ice as a top 5 QB this year.
:goodposting:I will be taking a strong look. Hurry up offense, some very skilled players that can get YAC....I also think Turner could see a decline in his red zone/goaline work and that ATL will use the passing game to get the ball in the end zone...I also like Rodgers YAC and think he will be a big part of hurry up...something like 4800/40 is not out of the question and can give you top 5 numbers at a discount this year....you probably won't get as good of deal next year.....being ahead of the breakouts (calling Graham's, Gronks, Newtons, etc) can win you leagues....the stars seemed aligned here....his ADP will continue to rise I think, but still value in even the 3-4 if he does take that next step...IMO...Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Stafford/Ryan

I think he's basically a toss-up with Vick as QB6. Clearly superior IMO to all of those other listed secondary QBs (Rivers - quality of WRs, Peyton - age, Romo - O-line, Eli - return to run game, whereas falcons are clearly pass-pass-pass).

I see posts on here people pcking him in the fourth round, are you kidding me. I wish i could play in those leagues. And the idiot that traded foster & schaub for ryan & richardson, unreal he got hijacked.

And the idiot that traded foster & schaub for ryan & richardson, unreal he got hijacked.
Really? Dynasty league and he's in a total rebuild mode? Got younger at both positions, and possibly will have the better QB AND better RB in 3 years.....when Schaub could very well be a journeyman #2.

Top 3-5?

Cam, Eli, Romo, Vick.

Maybe it is just me but I really don't know he will have a better year than any of those QBs.
+1

I think this next round of preseason games will be telling. If he and julio have another good outing then they both will skyrocket and White will fall to extremely good value. If they have a so so outing balance is somewhat restored. Ryan should have a career caliber year thats for sure. In my shark league I have a feeling he sneaks in at the end of the 3rd top 4rth.

EVERYBODY and their mamma seems to be high on Ryan this year.I'm targeting him but jeez, bordering on overkill here.
Haha....that's kind of hilarious cuz just a few days ago some guy in the julio jones thread found it odd jones was rising but ryan wasn't

sounds like everyone is believing the coachspeak this year huh?"we are going to throw more this year and we mean it!!!" wink!
Why would you be forced to rely on coachspeak? Ryan passed 571 times in 2010, and 566 last year. The falcons were 17th in run/pass ratio last year, so basically middle of the pack. If they even pass slightly more than the last two years, they should be one of the most pass-heavy teams in the league - pushing top 10 when you consider that you can rely on your eyeball test to see that Turner has lost a step and won't get 300+ carries again. Coachspeak merely confirms the obvious here. Be the coach yourself - you have Julio, Roddy, and Turner. You're playing Madden. Are you going to run up the gut, or pass it to your stud WRs? Fairly obvious.ETA - don't forget that you play in a dome. I can't think of a single factor that DOESN'T suggest that the Falcons will continue to shift more towards the pass than the run. Name ONE factor that doesn't point toward more passing?

FFC still has him going in the early 6th round, but he's climbing fast. By next week his ADP could be early 5th.

sounds like everyone is believing the coachspeak this year huh?"we are going to throw more this year and we mean it!!!" wink!
Why would you be forced to rely on coachspeak? Ryan passed 571 times in 2010, and 566 last year. The falcons were 17th in run/pass ratio last year, so basically middle of the pack. If they even pass slightly more than the last two years, they should be one of the most pass-heavy teams in the league - pushing top 10 when you consider that you can rely on your eyeball test to see that Turner has lost a step and won't get 300+ carries again. Coachspeak merely confirms the obvious here. Be the coach yourself - you have Julio, Roddy, and Turner. You're playing Madden. Are you going to run up the gut, or pass it to your stud WRs? Fairly obvious.ETA - don't forget that you play in a dome. I can't think of a single factor that DOESN'T suggest that the Falcons will continue to shift more towards the pass than the run. Name ONE factor that doesn't point toward more passing?
Same HC. Improved defense, younger legs at RB in Quizz

sounds like everyone is believing the coachspeak this year huh?

"we are going to throw more this year and we mean it!!!" wink!
Why would you be forced to rely on coachspeak? Ryan passed 571 times in 2010, and 566 last year. The falcons were 17th in run/pass ratio last year, so basically middle of the pack. If they even pass slightly more than the last two years, they should be one of the most pass-heavy teams in the league - pushing top 10 when you consider that you can rely on your eyeball test to see that Turner has lost a step and won't get 300+ carries again. Coachspeak merely confirms the obvious here. Be the coach yourself - you have Julio, Roddy, and Turner. You're playing Madden. Are you going to run up the gut, or pass it to your stud WRs? Fairly obvious.

ETA - don't forget that you play in a dome. I can't think of a single factor that DOESN'T suggest that the Falcons will continue to shift more towards the pass than the run. Name ONE factor that doesn't point toward more passing?
Same HC. Improved defense, younger legs at RB in Quizz
New OC.

I heard the same thing before last season and his numbers were rather pedestrian. I'll let someone else draft him early and I will take my chances with Cutler, RG3, etc.

Rodgers is there to run the screen-game and be the RB in the no-huddle shotgun offense. This is not your plodding falcons of a few years back when Turner was new to town and Ryan was a young QB. Oh yeah, did you know Ryan is entering his athletic prime? And that Turner is too old, and Rodgers is too young to demand a huge number of carries?

I heard the same thing before last season and his numbers were rather pedestrian. I'll let someone else draft him early and I will take my chances with Cutler, RG3, etc.
good luck with that
In a 4 point per passing TD league I'll load up on RB and WR and let the suckers draft the QBs early.
granted I have never played in a 4 point league like that (really whats the point) but wouldnt you want a really good qb then if td's are devalued like that?

I actually hope M.Ryan's stock keep rising because it should, thus eliminating his value. This one was too easy to spot so I want the players who wait on QB to suffer :P .

I hope he does well and I'm thinking about drafting him. He was on my team 2 years ago and it seemed like every time they got inside the 10 the ball went to Turner for a running play instead of a pass. I just need him to start getting more passing TD's and he'll be worth a lot, especially in a 2QB start league.

Rodgers is there to run the screen-game and be the RB in the no-huddle shotgun offense. This is not your plodding falcons of a few years back when Turner was new to town and Ryan was a young QB. Oh yeah, did you know Ryan is entering his athletic prime? And that Turner is too old, and Rodgers is too young to demand a huge number of carries?
:lmao:

I'm very high on Ryan this year as well, but you're right that there's quite a crowd there. Don't forget Rivers and Peyton, too. I honestly think it's just a roll of the dice once you get past Stafford; I don't see enough separating any of those guys to really scream "target this QB specifically." And really, the only reason I put Stafford at a higher level is because he's got the best receiver in the league and one of the two or three most beat-up and unimpressive running games in the league-- a perfect setup for 600+ pass attempts yet again.Perhaps Vick has a little downside if they're running him less and Eli has a little downside if the Giants move back to a more balanced offense, but you can find wrinkles for each guy. Historically, the second tier of QB scoring seems to feature about 4-6 QBs who finish within 1-2 PPG of each other and maybe one who makes The Leap to a 3-4 PPG advantage, so given that I'm pretty happy taking whomever I get. They've all got potential, but I'm not planning on reaching 1-2 rounds for a guy if I think any of the others will make it back to me. Rivers is my favorite target of the group right now just because he's the one who's been devalued most in ADP this year.
This is exactly how I feel. I really like Ryan this year but it seems like you can wait until the 5th or 6th & the Manning's/Romo/Rivers/Ryan are there. I will hopefully get Ryan but will gladly take one of the others as well.

I would argue that in highly competitive leagues, players have been "reaching" for Matt Ryan by a round above adp for a few weeks now and will continue to do so.

I hope he does well and I'm thinking about drafting him. He was on my team 2 years ago and it seemed like every time they got inside the 10 the ball went to Turner for a running play instead of a pass. I just need him to start getting more passing TD's and he'll be worth a lot, especially in a 2QB start league.
I had Turner that year :thumbup:

My problem with him being included in the top 5 discussion is that I don't think he's nearly as good a QB as those guys. Watching games of him, he was clearly at his best when Turner was doing well. I don't know if he's the kind of QB that can support a offense like Brady or Stafford

Cutler may actually be interesting.

4150 yds and 26 tds (my own projections) "seems" okay but it's actually pretty "crappy" for fantasy purposes. If he can increase his tds (not farfetched), maybe there is something to see here.

His turnovers can be annoying though.

Cutler may actually be interesting. 4150 yds and 26 tds (my own projections) "seems" okay but it's actually pretty crappy for the new nfl. If he can increase his tds (not farfetched), maybe there is something to see here. His turnovers can be annoying though.
Looking at his career stats that seems like his ceiling. Probably not a good line of thinking going into a draft.

Looking at his career stats that seems like his ceiling. Probably not a good line of thinking going into a draft.
You are right. Ceiling. I have a base of 3900 yds and 24 tds. Again, just trying to show stats for what someone can expect if they wait on a QB--it's not that pretty.But I am suggesting that his ceiling of 26 tds may be higher with the addition of Marshall and Jeffries, so MAYBE there is something to see here.

The stats I listed were what Cutler was pretty much on pace for last year--was it career, i don't know...maybe that's all the bump all qbs seemed to get for last year?
With this new NFL (passing wise I mean) it seems its almost imperative to get one of the top 5-6ish or be looking at a substantial gap between the 2 tiers.

You are right. Ceiling. I have a base of 3900 yds and 24 tds. Again, just trying to show stats for what someone can expect if they wait on a QB--it's not that pretty.But I am suggesting that his ceiling of 26 tds may be higher with the addition of Marshall and Jeffries, so MAYBE there is something to see here.
you may be right, I dont know. Everyone has their theories and strategies but my gut is telling me after the past couple years that having a top flight top 5ish qb on your roster will win you a #### ton of games during the season.Looking over some of the game logs for Aaron, Brady, Brees etc it makes up for a lot of deficiencies on your roster.

Cutler may actually be interesting. 4150 yds and 26 tds (my own projections) "seems" okay but it's actually pretty "crappy" for fantasy purposes. If he can increase his tds (not farfetched), maybe there is something to see here. His turnovers can be annoying though.
Depends on what you're after--4150 and 26 has been good for around QB10 the past 5 years, as long as interceptions don't get too out of control. What changed last year was the degree of separation between the truly elite fantasy QBs and the second tier guys. If Cutler's going in the 8th round and you think he can hang with that pack of 5-7 other second tier guys who are going in the 5th and 6th, he's a pretty good pick as long as you're loading up at other positions. I think I'd rather take the last of Mannings/Ryan/Romo/Rivers in the 6th myself, but opinions vary.

With this new NFL (passing wise I mean) it seems its almost imperative to get one of the top 5-6ish or be looking at a substantial gap between the 2 tiers.
+1 :thumbup: OR grab one you *think* will end up top 5 or 6.

Depends on what you're after--4150 and 26 has been good for around QB10 the past 5 years, as long as interceptions don't get too out of control. What changed last year was the degree of separation between the truly elite fantasy QBs and the second tier guys. If Cutler's going in the 8th round and you think he can hang with that pack of 5-7 other second tier guys who are going in the 5th and 6th, he's a pretty good pick as long as you're loading up at other positions. I think I'd rather take the last of Mannings/Ryan/Romo/Rivers in the 6th myself, but opinions vary.
I agree. I am not advocating taking Cutler. I was tying to show what people can expect if they decide to wait on QB like Cutler.

Users who are viewing this thread