What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maurice Drew (1 Viewer)

Bruno2

Footballguy
Ok, Maurice Drew is short 5'7" we all know that, but he's 207 lbs. The guy is built like a brick (you know what) house, he got thighs like tree trunks, he's not a small man, and after Reggie Bush probably one of the fastest and most elusive backs in the draft. I'm constantly hearing he's too small to play every down, but is he really that much smaller than the other top RBs coming out other than LenDale White? And I don't agree with the Darren Sproles comparisons I've been reading, Sproles may be 5'7" also but he only weighs 180lbs. What does it matter at the RB position if the guy is 5'7" or 5'9"? Look at the other RBs in the draft, Drew actually weights more than some of them. Guys like Bush, Williams, Calhoun, Harrison, Washington, Andre Hall and Henderson are all slightly taller (an inch or two) and most of them weigh a little less than Drew does. So my questions are: with the skills Drew has displayed why are so many people knocking him because he's giving away a couple inches compared to everyone else? Am I wrong in thinking that of all the positions, height matters the least for RBs? I think if Drew lands in the right situation (Indy comes to mind) that he can be more than just a 3rd down back or kick returner. Realistically he won't be a 25-30 carry RB every week, but I can see him getting 15-20 touches a game.

shhhh, I want my entire league to pass on this guy...I won my dynasty league and have the last pick in each round.

I agree. He weights so much because he works out unlike some other fattarses named White etc...
Exactly my point. I saw an interview with him on NFL Network, he seems like a guy who has his act together and has the right work ethic and attitude to be sucessful. I'd rather take a guy like him in the 2nd or 3rd round instead of taking White who's dedication is a big question mark right now in the late 1st or early 2nd round.

Ok, Maurice Drew is short 5'7" we all know that, but he's 207 lbs. The guy is built like a brick (you know what) house, he got thighs like tree trunks, he's not a small man, and after Reggie Bush probably one of the fastest and most elusive backs in the draft. I'm constantly hearing he's too small to play every down, but is he really that much smaller than the other top RBs coming out other than LenDale White? And I don't agree with the Darren Sproles comparisons I've been reading, Sproles may be 5'7" also but he only weighs 180lbs. What does it matter at the RB position if the guy is 5'7" or 5'9"? Look at the other RBs in the draft, Drew actually weights more than some of them. Guys like Bush, Williams, Calhoun, Harrison, Washington, Andre Hall and Henderson are all slightly taller (an inch or two) and most of them weigh a little less than Drew does. So my questions are: with the skills Drew has displayed why are so many people knocking him because he's giving away a couple inches compared to everyone else? Am I wrong in thinking that of all the positions, height matters the least for RBs? I think if Drew lands in the right situation (Indy comes to mind) that he can be more than just a 3rd down back or kick returner. Realistically he won't be a 25-30 carry RB every week, but I can see him getting 15-20 touches a game.
Mark my words, in two years Maurice Drew will have made more impact in the NFL then any of these other RB's. I would love to see my Vike's steal him!

Drew's not much lighter -- if at all -- then Clinton Portis when he first came out, is he? I think Portis was legitimately sub-210-lbs when he was drafted.

Drew's initial impression to me is comparable to former New Orleans Saint Dalton Hilliard (5'8", built like a tree stump). :thumbup:

I heard some speculation on the NFL Network that the Steelers might take him in the 2nd or 3rd round if they don't take Lendale White in the first round.

I am not sure why they felt that way since the Steelers would probably be looking for a BIG back.

Browns | Team thinking hard about M. DrewSat, 22 Apr 2006 09:19:42 -0700Steve Doerschuk, of the Canton Repository, reports the Cleveland Browns are thinking hard about spending a second-round pick on UCLA RB Maurice Drew. It appears their first plan is to spend a first-day pick on a running back if one falls to the right spot, but the team could decide to stay with RB Lee Suggs and hope he stays healthy.
Droughns and Drew rhymes with Droughns and Q.

Height has its place in evaluating an RB, but it obviously is not one of the top 2 or 3 factors. But, obviously, with lack of height comes lack of vision over the field, similar to a QB. This comes into play for an RB when he needs to pass block. It may cause him problems in picking up the blitz in the NFL, if he cannot see where the blitz is coming from.

I think if you most scouting reports on Drew, you will find that noted as a concern.

Height has its place in evaluating an RB, but it obviously is not one of the top 2 or 3 factors. But, obviously, with lack of height comes lack of vision over the field, similar to a QB. This comes into play for an RB when he needs to pass block. It may cause him problems in picking up the blitz in the NFL, if he cannot see where the blitz is coming from.

I think if you most scouting reports on Drew, you will find that noted as a concern.
I agree with everything you said AND it can be an asset as defenders find it harder to pick short guys up in traffic at the line. :goodposting: from you.

Users who are viewing this thread