What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Meachem TD scored as offense or defense play? (1 Viewer)

This exact situation happened twice a few years back, once with Randy McMichael and once with Keenan McCardell. I remember this because I wrote a rule about it in our league constitution called the McMichael/McCardell rule. The way we handle it is that the offensive player gets credit for the TD, but not the yards. Also we chose NOT to give the points to the Defense/ST because in our view technically neither the Defensive unit nor the Special teams unit was on the field. The technicality that the offense became the defense once there is change of possession was ignored. The fact that we also award points to the individual on kick and punt return TDs made it a more streamlined rule choice. Leagues that have been around for more than a year or two should have dealt with this fairly recently and have provisions for it.
Thank you for McCardell. I was trying to remember who did this a few years ago. Galloway was who I was thinking, but it didn't sound right. I don't remember the McMichael one.

This exact situation happened twice a few years back, once with Randy McMichael and once with Keenan McCardell. I remember this because I wrote a rule about it in our league constitution called the McMichael/McCardell rule. The way we handle it is that the offensive player gets credit for the TD, but not the yards. Also we chose NOT to give the points to the Defense/ST because in our view technically neither the Defensive unit nor the Special teams unit was on the field. The technicality that the offense became the defense once there is change of possession was ignored. The fact that we also award points to the individual on kick and punt return TDs made it a more streamlined rule choice. Leagues that have been around for more than a year or two should have dealt with this fairly recently and have provisions for it.
Good reasoning and very fair rule. Well done Crash Davis.
I second that.

Meachem was on offense in both scenarios. If you're going to say that Meachem somehow "switched" from offense to defense, then you must also say that he "switched back" from defense to offense as soon as he recovered the fumble.
what the hell are you talking ?

you can't switch back
Well, I would argue that you can't switch, period.But if someone wants to make the argument that Meachem switches from offense to defense, then you must also agree that he could switch back. You can't have it both ways.

Otherwise, you must concede that Meachem remained on offense for the entire play.

Either way, Meachem gets an Offensive touchdown.
:cry: :cry:

:cry:

Poor Mr. Retukes. He's trying so hard to state his case, but mostly he encounters ridicule and scorn.

Meanwhile, tomorrow morning Maurille or David Dodds will show up and basically affirm everything that Retukes is saying........and everyone will nod their heads in agreement.

Keep on fighting that good fight, as fruitless as it may be.

Poor Mr. Retukes. He's trying so hard to state his case, but mostly he encounters ridicule and scorn.Meanwhile, tomorrow morning Maurille or David Dodds will show up and basically affirm everything that Retukes is saying........and everyone will nod their heads in agreement.Keep on fighting that good fight, as fruitless as it may be.
What do Dodds or Maurille have to do with this? They don't make the FFL rules. Personally there really isn't a wrong or right. It' depends on what YOUR league rules state. My comment is that if your league rules don't specifically call out this situation that I'm willing to bet that the site you use will give points to the defense and ST. The site we use will give NO a TD, Meachem a TD (with no yards).Dodds can weigh in with his opinion but it won't matter to this discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor Mr. Retukes. He's trying so hard to state his case, but mostly he encounters ridicule and scorn.Meanwhile, tomorrow morning Maurille or David Dodds will show up and basically affirm everything that Retukes is saying........and everyone will nod their heads in agreement.Keep on fighting that good fight, as fruitless as it may be.
What do Dodds or Maurille have to do with this? They don't make the FFL rules. Personally there really isn't a wrong or right. It' depends on what YOUR league rules state. My comment is that if your league rules don't specifically call out this situation that I'm willing to bet that the site you use will give points to the defense and ST.
Nice backtrack.
It's a defensive TD

:goodposting:
:goodposting: :goodposting: My league is so old that we wrote the rule into our constitution when it happened back in 1997. The Chiefs' Danan Hughes was the Robert Meacham that time. FTR, we also don't score it as a defensive TD. Meacham gets six points in our league, that's all.

What do Dodds or Maurille have to do with this? They don't make the FFL rules. Personally there really isn't a wrong or right. It' depends on what YOUR league rules state. My comment is that if your league rules don't specifically call out this situation that I'm willing to bet that the site you use will give points to the defense and ST.
Nice backtrack.
It's a defensive TD
I never claimed that Meachem wouldn't get a TD also. Go find it but don't take too long because you won't find it. My only point from the very beginning was that the NO defense would get a TD...and in most leagues (unless specifically spelled out) that will happen.P.S. Way to ignore the Dodds comment. Unless you're in a league run by Dodds his opinion means zero. Two things matter. One, your league constitution/commish. Two, the default rules of the site you use.

I never claimed that Meachem wouldn't get a TD also. Go find it but don't take too long because you won't find it. My only point from the very beginning was that the NO defense would get a TD...and in most leagues (unless specifically spelled out) that will happen.
Name the other league services (besides Sportsline) that give these TDs to the defense by default.

I never claimed that Meachem wouldn't get a TD also. Go find it but don't take too long because you won't find it. My only point from the very beginning was that the NO defense would get a TD...and in most leagues (unless specifically spelled out) that will happen.
Name the other league services (besides Sportsline) that give these TDs to the defense by default.
I played in a Yahoo league years ago when this situation came up and they gave the defense a TD.P.S. FWIW I'm not a fan of Yahoo.P.P.S Took you a long time for that reply. I guess you couldn't find where I said Meachem would also get a TD.P.P.P.S Still not interested in commenting on the obscurity of your Dodds comment?

I played in a Yahoo league years ago when this situation came up and they gave the defense a TD.P.S. FWIW I'm not a fan of Yahoo.P.P.S Took you a long time for that reply. I guess you couldn't find where I said Meachem would also get a TD.P.P.P.S Still not interested in commenting on the obscurity of your Dodds comment?
This thread should be limited to constructive discussions of the topic. If you're going to be a tool or if you're going to be so careless that you reply to the wrong people, then perhaps you should sit this one out.

This thread should be limited to constructive discussions of the topic. If you're going to be a tool or if you're going to be so careless that you reply to the wrong people, then perhaps you should sit this one out.
My apologies. I was careless and I have mixed your commets with those of David Lee Roethlisberger.You were also somewhat careless earlier when you claimed that I said Meachem should not get a TD. I never said that.

OK, anyone remember a similar play with Reggie Brown/Eagles? I think that one was two guys on the same team...

Buzzbait--are you 8 years old or something? Drop it. Seriously--quit while you're behind.
I'm really not interested in bickering. I've been told I backtracked regarding Meachen getting a TD (I didn't) and that NO wouldn't get credit for a defensive TD (I believe they will).If you feel like setting the record straight on anything that I said was wrong I'm all ears.

OK, anyone remember a similar play with Reggie Brown/Eagles? I think that one was two guys on the same team...
It was Week 17 of 2007. Reggie Brown fumbled and Kevin Curtis recovered in the end zone. There was no change of possession. You'll notice in the box score that Curtis was not given credit for a rushing or receiving TD.

It's a defensive TD and I'd be willing to bet anyone who says otherwise that's the way it will eventually be scored on CBS Sports
All that proves is that CBS is ignorant.
I didn't mean to say that CBS would be the only one. Just using them as one example. You can deny all you want. I've seen this more than one time in the past and those that own the NO defense will get a TD from this.
I'm not "denying" anything. I know that MFL will count this as an Offensive Fumble Recovery TD. MFL will not give a TD to the D/ST. Footballguys will also count it as an offensive TD. Most league management sites will rule similarly. When this happened in 2003, Sportsline was the only site that gave the TD to the defense by default. I would not be surprised if they did it again this year.
MFL counted it as a D/ST TD till about 5 minutes ago. Did that happen everywhere or was that done by my commish?

It's a defensive TD and I'd be willing to be anyone who says otherwise that's the way it will eventually be scored on CBS Sports (note: not that they are the be all end all for right/wrong). This is the 20th year for our league and we have in our rules that this is a defensive TD. As soon as Wash intercepted the ball NO becomes the defense and the resulting strip and TD goes to any team owning the NO defensive/special teams unit.
I just got a 12 point gifet (dtd=10 points in my league!).Merry xmas to ME!!!

I agree with Mr. Retukes that it should be a TD for Meachem.

The idea that a player would switch to defense would imply that the defense now switches to offense...which would mean a Defense could never score a TD. I just don't understand that logic.

I don't ever see offensive players listed with tackles in the Box Scores on NFL.com. And I don't see defensive players with rushing yards or receiving yards after a fumble recovery or interception.

Should be a TD for Meachem as far as I'm concerned.

MFL counted it as a D/ST TD till about 5 minutes ago. Did that happen everywhere or was that done by my commish?
It's MFL-wide. It'll be reverse again though. That situation happens all the time, and the D is always credited. I suppose some leagues have rules that say otherwise, but the default in MFL is for those points to be credited to the D/ST.

It's MFL-wide. It'll be reverse again though. That situation happens all the time, and the D is always credited. I suppose some leagues have rules that say otherwise, but the default in MFL is for those points to be credited to the D/ST.
I have the points for the Fumble recovery but not the TD. Very strange...

My one league (Yahoo) has it as an offensive touchdown, my other (Fleaflicker) as a defensive touchdown.

My MFL league gave Meachem 1 Offensive FumRec TD

This is incorrect. In fact, MFL has already posted an official response on their website:
Question: How is the Fumble Recovery TD after an Interception in the Saints game being scored?

Answer: At the end of the first half, Kareem More of the Redskins intercepted a pass from Drew Brees of the Saints. During the interception return, Moore proceeded to fumble the ball, and then Robert Meachem of the Saints recovered the fumble and ran 43 yards for a TD.

This play is scored as a 43 yard "Offensive Fumble Recovery TD" for Robert Meachem. If your league wants Meachem to receive the points for this touchdown, then you'll need to make sure the "Offensive Fumble Recovery TD" rule is defined in your scoring rules for the WR position.

This play is NOT scored as a Defensive Fumble Recovery TD for the Saints Team Defense position, since their defensive unit was not on the field during that play. If your league wants to score this play differently than how it shows up in the stats, then your commissioner would need to use the "For Commissioners > Adjust Scores and Standings > Player Score Adjuster" screen to add or subtract points to Meachem or the Saints Defense as needed.

Note that for what it is worth, the last time this type of touchdown occurred was 6 years ago in 2003 when the Buccaneers threw an Interception, which was then fumbled and then Keenan McCardell recovered it an ran it in for a TD. So this type of play is very rare, but it was scored the same way the last time it happened.
MFL has been consistent with this line of thinking since 2003.

fanball scored a Def TD, we will adjust it ourselves to give Meachum the TD too. We score this the same way if your wr or rb returns a kickoff or punt for td

fwiw sportsline scored it as a DTD Robert Meachem, 44 Yd fumble return (Garrett Hartley kick is good), 0:22.

no points for meachem.

Robert Meachem, 44 Yd fumble return (Garrett Hartley kick is good), 0:22.

That's weird. I can't figure it out. Why do I get the fumble recovery and not the TD... I just hope it doesn't make the difference in my game as it is a playoff game..

I don't ever see offensive players listed with tackles in the Box Scores on NFL.com.
Sportsline gives offense players tackles. I don't remember what the rule on tackles is, are they and "official" statistic? NFL doesn't recognize words like 'offense' and 'defense' either, so, as always, league rules make the determination.

It's a defensive TD and I'd be willing to bet anyone who says otherwise that's the way it will eventually be scored on CBS Sports
I didn't mean to say that CBS would be the only one. Just using them as one example. You can deny all you want. I've seen this more than one time in the past and those that own the NO defense will get a TD from this.
I'm not "denying" anything. I know that MFL will count this as an Offensive Fumble Recovery TD. MFL will not give a TD to the D/ST. Footballguys will also count it as an offensive TD. Most league management sites will rule similarly. When this happened in 2003, Sportsline was the only site that gave the TD to the defense by default. I would not be surprised if they did it again this year.
We have been with MFL for over 10 years. Does anyone remember the week this happened? I would like it for ammo in case any complaining comes up this week.ETA: went back in our league (yeah I know no one cares) and all of McCardell's TDs showed as receiving. Would like to check and see who the D was. Thanks,

For people who want to make their own set of rules and give Meachem a TD as an offensive player, a simple question:

How did Meachem get the TD? Pass reception? Run?

No - it was a fumble by the opposing player. This is cut and dry - not an offensive TD.
Okay then, how would you score this scenario:1. Brees throws pass to Colston.

2. Colston fumbles.

3. Meachem recovers fumble and returns it for touchdown.
I believe that is a(n) (offensive) fumble return for TD. A lateral gets interesting as well - dont know if it counts as a run, but maybe its rushing yards? I dont think Brees would get a TD if he passed to Colston and Colston then lateralled to another player who scored.
Brees most certainly would in your scenario. See Culpepper - Randy Moss lateralETA: or McNabb Brown/Buckhalter play http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/2...HI_Gamebook.pdf

I don't ever see offensive players listed with tackles in the Box Scores on NFL.com.
Sportsline gives offense players tackles. I don't remember what the rule on tackles is, are they and "official" statistic? NFL doesn't recognize words like 'offense' and 'defense' either, so, as always, league rules make the determination.
For what it's worth, offensive players are credited for tackles in the expanded box scores at NFL.com. There are 3 categories: "Regular Defensive Plays", "Special Team Plays", and "Misc". You should find Meachem's stats (1 tackle, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery) under "Misc".

That's weird. I can't figure it out. Why do I get the fumble recovery and not the TD... I just hope it doesn't make the difference in my game as it is a playoff game..
I checked the scoring rules for our league and that's how it is set up, probably not the default scoring setting.

ETA: went back in our league (yeah I know no one cares) and all of McCardell's TDs showed as receiving. Would like to check and see who the D was. Thanks,
It was Week 5 of 2003. McCardell had 2 receiving TDs and 1 offensive fumble recovery TD. The Bucs D also had an interception return TD in the same game.McCardell's fumble return TD is not counted as a receiving TD or a defensive TD in his career stats at NFL.com.

I always hate these situations. In my mind, there are two teams that step onto the field at the beginning of the play, and that's how it stays throughout the play (no matter what happens). For example, had the Washington defender returned that INT for a TD, should those points have counted against the NO team defense (since, after the INT, the NO offense sort of "turned into" the NO defense)? I say no.In my league, give Meachem the yardage from the point where he recovered it, and the TD.
Should those points have counted against New Orlean's defense? No. Would they have? Yes. The NFL's official "points allowed" statistic includes points given up on turnovers returned for touchdowns, as well as on special teams touchdowns.
Brees gets passing yds up to the fumble spot.Colston gets receiving yds up to the fumble spot.Meachem get rushing TD yds from fumble spot.This scenario does not have a turnover.Although I think if fumbled forward. No other offensive player can recover and move forward.
The offense can advanced a fumbled ball any time *EXCEPT* on 4th down or in the last 2 minutes of the game. In those two situations, the only time the offense can advance the ball is if the player who recovers the fumble is the same player who fumbled in the first place.
Meachem was on offense in both scenarios. If you're going to say that Meachem somehow "switched" from offense to defense, then you must also say that he "switched back" from defense to offense as soon as he recovered the fumble.
If at any point during a play the other team possesses the ball, then you are a defender. It's that simple. There's no "switching back".
Fleaflicker does, as well. Also, the official NFL scoring doesn't count it as an offensive TD.

ETA: went back in our league (yeah I know no one cares) and all of McCardell's TDs showed as receiving. Would like to check and see who the D was. Thanks,
It was Week 5 of 2003. McCardell had 2 receiving TDs and 1 offensive fumble recovery TD. The Bucs D also had an interception return TD in the same game.McCardell's fumble return TD is not counted as a receiving TD or a defensive TD in his career stats at NFL.com.
Thanks. TB had a DEF TD in that game but it was not that play.McCardell as previously stated has 2 receiving TD and the fumble recovery.

I am posting this on our league website to ensure there can be no complaining. Thankfully MFL has the historical leagues still posted...

Thanks again for posting that link.

For what it's worth, offensive players are credited for tackles in the expanded box scores at NFL.com. There are 3 categories: "Regular Defensive Plays", "Special Team Plays", and "Misc". You should find Meachem's stats (1 tackle, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery) under "Misc".
This is on the NFL website? I can't find it anywhere on there. In any event, the point is it's not counted under defensive stats because it is an "offensive player" making the tackle and not a defensive player. Just because an offensive player can make a tackle or force a fumble doesn't make that offensive player a defensive player anymore than an interception return for a touchdown doesn't make a defensive player an offensive player. I just don't understand the logic of any league giving the NO defense the score when the NO defense was on the sidelines. From the amount of responses in this thread I can see that it will be scored that way in some leagues....but I just don't understand it. Doesn't make sense to me.

MFL immediately credited as a DST. It has more to do with your own scoring rules.

If at any point during a play the other team possesses the ball, then you are a defender. It's that simple. There's no "switching back".
That's not how the NFL rules it. Rule 3, Section 35 specifically states that teams switch from offense to defense anytime there is a change of possession.Do you think it's logical that there would be 2 defenses on the field at the same time?

Edit: Nevermind

Yahoo is scoring this as an Offensive TD for Meachem if you have the Offensive Fumble Return TD setting set.

FYI - official NFL scoring Meachem is on Defense.

The gamebook even credited him with a tackle

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/5...AS_Gamebook.pdf
Thanks for posting that. I see that it is under defense misc...

that changes things a bit...if that's the way the NFL rules it than I can understand the argument to give the NO defense a touchdown.

I still don't like it though...just doesn't seem right. Luckily this happens so rarely.

Note that Meachem's stats are listed under "Misc", not "Regular Defensive Plays" or "Special Teams Plays".It will be interesting to see if the NFL counts this as a "Defensive TD" or if it counts against Washington's "Points Allowed" when the team stats are updated later this week.

That's not how the NFL rules it. Rule 3, Section 35 specifically states that teams switch from offense to defense anytime there is a change of possession.Do you think it's logical that there would be 2 defenses on the field at the same time?
Check the official gamebook which someone already posted. Meachem's yards are not included with the offensive yardage under "Total Net Yards", and they are not included in the "average gain per offensive play". His TD is listed as a "Fumble" TD. Under "Final Defensive Statistics", Meachem is listed with a tackle, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery. According to official NFL scorekeeping, Meachem's fumble recovery was a DEFENSIVE play, so if a TD results from said fumble recovery, it is a DEFENSIVE TD.The way the NFL rules it, there is no such thing as a defensive TD, because once the defense gets the ball they're the offense. For fantasy purposes, any TD scored on a defensive play is a defensive TD... and Meachem's TD was scored on a defensive play, as per official NFL scoring.

Note that Meachem's stats are listed under "Misc", not "Regular Defensive Plays" or "Special Teams Plays".It will be interesting to see if the NFL counts this as a "Defensive TD" or if it counts against Washington's "Points Allowed" when the team stats are updated later this week.
Not sure how you'll checkWe've had this in the past and we actually award both.

I know CBS has stated it will count as D/ST good or bad it's what we do. Since a change of possession was established.

It's listed on the defense page so I don't know what everyone is looking for but from what I know from years past that has always been "official" defensive TD even in the NFL, at least I think :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread