What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MEMPHIS BBQFest > 2023 > 1 Month Away - $100,000 budget due to inflation! (2 Viewers)

:football:Have been several years and it's an absolute blast. Filled the BF in on it today while at some dumpy ribs festival in St. Augustine and he's on board if we can make it work. I'd say we are sitting at a solid 8% probability at the moment but will look into logistics (flights, hotel) this weekend.
Chez Krista might have one vacancy. :coffee:
:coffee: :unsure: :banned:
Have two friends that I'm hoping will hook up (one of my favorite guys in the world and my best female friend) maybe coming down depending on whether th May 15 "Big Star" show becomes a tribute show. So they'll take up either one or two spare bedrooms (hopefully one :) ). Still have another spare even if they take up two of them. :) You are more than welcome to take it. :thumbup:

So, I've quit volunteering job and am on a BBQ team myself now... :sadbanana:

[icon], I'll stop by and say hi if that's OK with you!

Alrighty... yesterday was load in. The Towing service we have as a sponsor (That provides us free towing of our 40ft, 12,000lb BBQ Trailer) was obscenely late. We were supposed to be picked up at 11:30 for at 12:00 load-in. The deadline was 3pm to enter the park. The idiots finally showed up at 3:15. Luckily we had sent a team member down to tell them we got a flat tire. They were cool about it and we finally got into the park around 4pm. The setup went fairly easy. We've got a 26x40' lot but there was nobody behind us (open field leading back to the judges tent) so we stole some extra ground .I figure our lot is 26x55 or so now. :homer:

The flooring went down that we had built a couple weeks before. Flooring Rental usually runs us $1000 including carpet. We were able to buy the wood/screws for about $600 and the carpet for about $200. We now own it. Sure, we have to set it up ourselves but it took 8 guys about 30 minutes max (and that was making adjustments and redoing some sections. Great savings for the team and $1000 that can now go into more chow/booze. :popcorn:

The end result is the booth is set up with our fancy new turf carpeting. We're right next to the judges tent so turn in for entries will be a breeze. We're also close to the keg pickup/swap spot. Our locations is great with a stellar view of the river and downtown yet again. You can see lots of open space. That will be filled in with tents but there are no other double-deckers to obstruct our view.

We've stocked up on liquor for the ladies punches (Orange County Punch and an ### kicking lemonade concoction). We've got 20 kegs donated from a pub downtown. We've got 1200 Syringe Jello shots ready to go.

We also got 2 bars (1 for DJ, one for serving booze) on loan from a Miller Lite Rep. 4 Cases of wine donated by a local distributor. They also provided a double-tap Jockey Box (Cooler w copper coil inside that you fill w/ ice to chill the beer rather than having to keep kegs buried in ice) that should provide an improved beer pour over the old keg/bucket/tap setup.

Heading back down tuesday for some cleanup and final prep. Then "Moving" downtown for the rest of the week on Wednesday. Checking into our hotel and will be riverside, beer in hand by noon.

I can almost taste the ribs and brew.... :hot:

Alrighty... yesterday was load in. The Towing service we have as a sponsor (That provides us free towing of our 40ft, 12,000lb BBQ Trailer) was obscenely late. We were supposed to be picked up at 11:30 for at 12:00 load-in. The deadline was 3pm to enter the park. The idiots finally showed up at 3:15. Luckily we had sent a team member down to tell them we got a flat tire. They were cool about it and we finally got into the park around 4pm. The setup went fairly easy. We've got a 26x40' lot but there was nobody behind us (open field leading back to the judges tent) so we stole some extra ground .I figure our lot is 26x55 or so now. :homer:

The flooring went down that we had built a couple weeks before. Flooring Rental usually runs us $1000 including carpet. We were able to buy the wood/screws for about $600 and the carpet for about $200. We now own it. Sure, we have to set it up ourselves but it took 8 guys about 30 minutes max (and that was making adjustments and redoing some sections. Great savings for the team and $1000 that can now go into more chow/booze. :hot:

The end result is the booth is set up with our fancy new turf carpeting. We're right next to the judges tent so turn in for entries will be a breeze. We're also close to the keg pickup/swap spot. Our locations is great with a stellar view of the river and downtown yet again. You can see lots of open space. That will be filled in with tents but there are no other double-deckers to obstruct our view.

We've stocked up on liquor for the ladies punches (Orange County Punch and an ### kicking lemonade concoction). We've got 20 kegs donated from a pub downtown. We've got 1200 Syringe Jello shots ready to go.

We also got 2 bars (1 for DJ, one for serving booze) on loan from a Miller Lite Rep. 4 Cases of wine donated by a local distributor. They also provided a double-tap Jockey Box (Cooler w copper coil inside that you fill w/ ice to chill the beer rather than having to keep kegs buried in ice) that should provide an improved beer pour over the old keg/bucket/tap setup.

Heading back down tuesday for some cleanup and final prep. Then "Moving" downtown for the rest of the week on Wednesday. Checking into our hotel and will be riverside, beer in hand by noon.

I can almost taste the ribs and brew.... :hot:
:popcorn:

Alrighty... yesterday was load in. The Towing service we have as a sponsor (That provides us free towing of our 40ft, 12,000lb BBQ Trailer) was obscenely late. We were supposed to be picked up at 11:30 for at 12:00 load-in. The deadline was 3pm to enter the park. The idiots finally showed up at 3:15. Luckily we had sent a team member down to tell them we got a flat tire. They were cool about it and we finally got into the park around 4pm. The setup went fairly easy. We've got a 26x40' lot but there was nobody behind us (open field leading back to the judges tent) so we stole some extra ground .I figure our lot is 26x55 or so now. :yes:

The flooring went down that we had built a couple weeks before. Flooring Rental usually runs us $1000 including carpet. We were able to buy the wood/screws for about $600 and the carpet for about $200. We now own it. Sure, we have to set it up ourselves but it took 8 guys about 30 minutes max (and that was making adjustments and redoing some sections. Great savings for the team and $1000 that can now go into more chow/booze. ;)

I can almost taste the ribs and brew.... :banned:
Soooo cool. We have load-in today (I was supposed to be helping but am sick), and I have no idea what our area will look like but can say for sure that yours will be cooler.We're in R-097, a bit farther north (which is a bummer since we live on the south side on the river). Born in the Que S A. Stop by if you ever have a chance. I'll be bartending on Thursday from 8-10. :) Will probably be hanging in the Ques Brothers booth a lot, too, as I have friends there. They came in 3rd in shoulder two years ago and have a multi-level super-booth like yours! I don't think our team is serious at all about the competition part, which is just fine.

Which pub donated your kegs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Krista,

Gotcha! My little brother and his wife will be getting down to the park sometime Thursday (in from South Florida for the event) so I may bring him by to check out some other booths. No harm in not being serious about the compeittion. There are teams that only care about teh contest... teams who only care about the party... and teams in the middle. The event is a blast for all sorts ;)

So is this your first MIM BBQfest? You're gonna love it.

Bardog was the pub that donated our beer. Someone on our team is good buddies with the owner and they were so kind as to contribute in a very significant way. :yes:

I am sooooooo ready for Wednesday. I'm gonna be worthless at work for the next two days....

I don't think that I have ever been this jealous in my entire life.
This is truly an event that everyone should come in town for at least once in their lives. There will be people/teams in town from all over the US as well as tons of other countries. There will be airplane fuselages converted into cookers.... cookers with innovative self-basting systems... fire trucks converted into smokers... you name it. And the food...... holy hell..the FOOD....

Krista, Gotcha! My little brother and his wife will be getting down to the park sometime Thursday (in from South Florida for the event) so I may bring him by to check out some other booths. No harm in not being serious about the compeittion. There are teams that only care about teh contest... teams who only care about the party... and teams in the middle. The event is a blast for all sorts :) So is this your first MIM BBQfest? You're gonna love it. Bardog was the pub that donated our beer. Someone on our team is good buddies with the owner and they were so kind as to contribute in a very significant way. :thumbup: I am sooooooo ready for Wednesday. I'm gonna be worthless at work for the next two days....
Bardog is a great place. The guy who owns it (Aldo) is opening a pizza place called Aldo's on Main sometime soon (was supposed to be April but doesn't appear to be open yet), which I'm dying for as there is very little decent pizza here and none downtown at all.Yep, it's my first BBQfest. Really excited about it! I am taking Friday off, I hope. :) Looking forward to friends and family night Wednesday, too!

Krista, Gotcha! My little brother and his wife will be getting down to the park sometime Thursday (in from South Florida for the event) so I may bring him by to check out some other booths. No harm in not being serious about the compeittion. There are teams that only care about teh contest... teams who only care about the party... and teams in the middle. The event is a blast for all sorts :) So is this your first MIM BBQfest? You're gonna love it. Bardog was the pub that donated our beer. Someone on our team is good buddies with the owner and they were so kind as to contribute in a very significant way. :thumbup: I am sooooooo ready for Wednesday. I'm gonna be worthless at work for the next two days....
Bardog is a great place. The guy who owns it (Aldo) is opening a pizza place called Aldo's on Main sometime soon (was supposed to be April but doesn't appear to be open yet), which I'm dying for as there is very little decent pizza here and none downtown at all.Yep, it's my first BBQfest. Really excited about it! I am taking Friday off, I hope. :) Looking forward to friends and family night Wednesday, too!
Only friday?! Should be playing hooky thursday too ;)If you guys get down there friday afternoon feel free to swing by. We'll have cornhole tournament going out front of our booth and some beer pong inside :) Oh and live acoustic blues from Patrick Dodd (resident badass... plays BB Kings every Sunday and Blues City 2-3x a week) from 5-8 :)

This is truly an event that everyone should come in town for at least once in their lives. There will be people/teams in town from all over the US as well as tons of other countries. There will be airplane fuselages converted into cookers.... cookers with innovative self-basting systems... fire trucks converted into smokers... you name it. And the food...... holy hell..the FOOD....
Agree it's a sight to see.I may try to get down Friday but not sure. For folks visiting, icon, can you elaborate what you mean on the food? The time I was there, I was bummed to realize that the only food that's good is all private. They have the normal crap food for sale you get at the fair. You can see and smell all this great food cooking, but if you're just a paying visitor, you just look from the outside. Major suckage.Is that still right?J

Only friday?! Should be playing hooky thursday too ;)If you guys get down there friday afternoon feel free to swing by. We'll have cornhole tournament going out front of our booth and some beer pong inside :lmao: Oh and live acoustic blues from Patrick Dodd (resident badass... plays BB Kings every Sunday and Blues City 2-3x a week) from 5-8 :popcorn:
Sadly, I am in charge of our 10-Q (quarterly report) filing with the SEC, which is due a week from tomorrow. We are hoping to file on Thursday, which is why I won't be able to take that day off, and if it slips to Friday then I'll be screwed Friday, too. :( We'll definitely try to stop by on Friday; if you see us, be sure to wish Mr. krista4 a happy birthday. :)Apparently our tent and flooring were not set up yet today, though they were supposed to have been. :hot: Mr. krista4 says the team's smoker was the largest he's ever seen, so maybe they take this more seriously than I thought. The Ques Brothers import their chef from Chicago. :lmao: that in the home of the greatest BBQ in the world, they import a chef from somewhere else!

Agree it's a sight to see.I may try to get down Friday but not sure. For folks visiting, icon, can you elaborate what you mean on the food? The time I was there, I was bummed to realize that the only food that's good is all private. They have the normal crap food for sale you get at the fair. You can see and smell all this great food cooking, but if you're just a paying visitor, you just look from the outside. Major suckage.Is that still right?J
:thumbup: You have to know people on teams to get the good food. Health department regulations, as I understand it.If you end up making it, let us know. [icon] and I can get you into our tents and a few others, I'm sure. :popcorn:

:wall: You have to know people on teams to get the good food. Health department regulations, as I understand it.If you end up making it, let us know. [icon] and I can get you into our tents and a few others, I'm sure. :)
Cool. Thanks. If I make it, I'll definitely let you know. Looking kind of doubtful as I have a catering gig Saturday for lunch so I'd have to be back in Knoxville by midnite Friday. I did the Knoxville to Memphis to Knoxville in one day last time I did it but that's a haul for one day. We'll see. I definitely have a different perspective on it now after being into it a bit.J

:yes: You have to know people on teams to get the good food. Health department regulations, as I understand it.If you end up making it, let us know. [icon] and I can get you into our tents and a few others, I'm sure. :)
:goodposting: Unfortunately it's far less entertaining if you're not invited to a tent.

scheduled to make it down Thursday afternoon as part of a work celebration. not sure which tent/booth we'll be at, but will try to stop by and say hello. Also a noob here.

eta: just got the details. will be at tent H-122 (Barbecue Republic). is there a map of the tents?

oso diablo said:
scheduled to make it down Thursday afternoon as part of a work celebration. not sure which tent/booth we'll be at, but will try to stop by and say hello. Also a noob here.

eta: just got the details. will be at tent H-122 (Barbecue Republic). is there a map of the tents?
MapYour work is a lot more fun than mine. :confused:

You're going to be very close to my house (!), but I probably won't be there Thursday afternoon (see preceding sentence). If you're around another time, let me know. I'm involved in two ribs teams and a shoulder, as well as hoping to stop by [icon]'s. See me an e-mail at work and we'll trade info?

To those who are coming down for BBQfest on Wednesday night you may want to check out Flying Saucer's Blues & Brews promo. Every Wednesday night my buddy Patrick Dodd & his band crank out the blues while they "Fire Sale" Yazoo Brews on the super cheap.

I know I'll be up there with some other folks. For the record, he's the guy who will be playing at our tent from 5-8pm on Friday. Also at our tent will be a guy who I consider to be one of the best guitarists I've ever seen live (Grant Garland).

Here's a taste of Grant's skills (Skip to 2:55 for the solo):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DasL21BMhK0

Pat & Grant together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj2jcDPqn6k

Bout this time tomorrow I'll be sitting on our upper deck with a beer in hand relaxing as the Mighty Mississippi flows by...

Life is good...

Just got back from the park.

Loadin is all but complete. Tomorrow we bring in the liquor and game (cornhole, laddergolf, etc) and have friends/family night.

Our neighbors (downriver) have massive doubledecker scaffolding setup and are the Ptolemy Crewe from Carnival Memphis. 50 Members (to our 14) and a budget that will make the baby jeebus weep with joy. Turns out they know how to party. They came by one by one tonight and we all met, bounced back and forth between "booths". Looks like we might have a "Superparty" in the works.

Luckily their structure does not impede our view..... :bs:

Gonna try to get some sleep. Tomorrow going into the office from 8-11, though the only thing I'll be doing is working on BBQfest signage/etc. Leaving and heading downtown to setup the bar and get to drinkin...

God rest ye merry gentlemen... :unsure:

Just got back from the park.

Loadin is all but complete. Tomorrow we bring in the liquor and game (cornhole, laddergolf, etc) and have friends/family night.

Our neighbors (downriver) have massive doubledecker scaffolding setup and are the Ptolemy Crewe from Carnival Memphis. 50 Members (to our 14) and a budget that will make the baby jeebus weep with joy. Turns out they know how to party. They came by one by one tonight and we all met, bounced back and forth between "booths". Looks like we might have a "Superparty" in the works.

Luckily their structure does not impede our view..... :wub:

Gonna try to get some sleep. Tomorrow going into the office from 8-11, though the only thing I'll be doing is working on BBQfest signage/etc. Leaving and heading downtown to setup the bar and get to drinkin...

God rest ye merry gentlemen... :shrug:
:thumbup: Really looking forward to friends/family night tomorrow so I can see what this is all about firsthand. Looking good right now for taking the day off on Friday. :banned:

I so need to get down there next year for this!!
It's highly recommended. 1.5 hours to go at the office. So far today I've:Printed up bartending schedulesPrinted up Punch recipiesLaminated both to mount to the bar for referenceTexted the shopping list to my buddy who's getting it right nowCreated a Daytime Playlist for our booth on my iPodNot sure how I'm gonna kill the last 90 minutes :lmao:I'm so ready to get down there.... :banned:

:thumbup: Really looking forward to friends/family night tomorrow so I can see what this is all about firsthand. Looking good right now for taking the day off on Friday. :thumbup:
Friends/Family night is great. Somewhat more low key and more like a really big cookout than an all out rager like Thurs/Fri nights can be.

Alrighty... yesterday was load in. The Towing service we have as a sponsor (That provides us free towing of our 40ft, 12,000lb BBQ Trailer) was obscenely late. We were supposed to be picked up at 11:30 for at 12:00 load-in. The deadline was 3pm to enter the park. The idiots finally showed up at 3:15. Luckily we had sent a team member down to tell them we got a flat tire. They were cool about it and we finally got into the park around 4pm. The setup went fairly easy. We've got a 26x40' lot but there was nobody behind us (open field leading back to the judges tent) so we stole some extra ground .I figure our lot is 26x55 or so now. :confused:

The flooring went down that we had built a couple weeks before. Flooring Rental usually runs us $1000 including carpet. We were able to buy the wood/screws for about $600 and the carpet for about $200. We now own it. Sure, we have to set it up ourselves but it took 8 guys about 30 minutes max (and that was making adjustments and redoing some sections. Great savings for the team and $1000 that can now go into more chow/booze. :banned:

I can almost taste the ribs and brew.... :banned:
I can't say how jealous I am of this....

Good luck Icon. I'm already in the planning aka sweet talking stage for next year... The problem (not really a problem) is that once I do get there I'll never want to miss it again. Have fun.

So, Icon, are you the one that gets to talk to the judges when they come to your tent? That to me would be the toughest part.

So, Icon, are you the one that gets to talk to the judges when they come to your tent? That to me would be the toughest part.
I do but I am not the main guy. Our cook comes in from STL and handles most of the presentation. only MBN (Memphis BBQ Network involves presenting. The KCBS (KC BBQ Society) does not require onsite tasting/presentation. Just checked in at our hotel. Loaded in all the bar stuff today. Park is a ####in ZOO. Bout to head down tehre i a bit.

I do but I am not the main guy. Our cook comes in from STL and handles most of the presentation. only MBN (Memphis BBQ Network involves presenting. The KCBS (KC BBQ Society) does not require onsite tasting/presentation. Just checked in at our hotel. Loaded in all the bar stuff today. Park is a ####in ZOO. Bout to head down tehre i a bit.
Hope you remembered your galoshes. Weather looks like crap all weekend. :(Looking good for my day off Friday and even might get half the day tomorrow. :)I've heard that my house is going to smell like smoked meats for a week. Not sure if that's good or bad. This is a bad time to be a vegetarian. :lmao:Going to take my camera and try to get some good pics up here. Found out I have a friend on yet another Ribs team, so we should have tons of parties to visit. Luckily I have not given up drinking!

So I'm here on a 2nd level deck, looking at these homes on the bluff. Wondering which mansion belongs to krista.

I've already been outed as a "bbq virgin". Pray for me.

So I'm here on a 2nd level deck, looking at these homes on the bluff. Wondering which mansion belongs to krista. I've already been outed as a "bbq virgin". Pray for me.
:lmao:Took some pics last night; will post later today or tomorrow. Got a couple of [icon]'s booth as we walked by it, but we didn't have a chance to stop there last night.How long will you be down there, oso? I'll probably head down again around 5ish. Have the go-ahead to take all of tomorrow off. :lol:

So I'm here on a 2nd level deck, looking at these homes on the bluff. Wondering which mansion belongs to krista. I've already been outed as a "bbq virgin". Pray for me.
:lmao:Took some pics last night; will post later today or tomorrow. Got a couple of [icon]'s booth as we walked by it, but we didn't have a chance to stop there last night.How long will you be down there, oso? I'll probably head down again around 5ish. Have the go-ahead to take all of tomorrow off. :goodposting:
already back home in the suburbs.i was impressed with the size/scale of this event. Had some great shoulder and sausage (and then some free tums samples from the tums-gals). Very hot today - shade was the key.If you catch the Piggy Idol contest tonight at 6, the lady who sings Proud Piggy (to the tune of Proud Mary) works in my department.

Jesus, do we get awards or medals of any kind for surviving this thing? :yucky:

I'm a little scared to check my camera right now and see what last night's pics look like. [icon], we tried to come by your tent around 7ish but it was so packed we thought we'd try another time. Never got back out of our tent after 8, though.

I learned what our tent lacks in curb appeal it more than makes up for with music and party. Our place was packed and absolutely rocking until whatever time we had to leave. I bartended for four hours--was supposed to be two but was having so much fun I just kept at it. Turns out having two girls bartend increases the tips substantially. I have no idea where those tips go, though. :shrug:

Now I have to rally and head back down. I think it's about even money right now on whether I live through two more days of this.

Love your pics!

All I gotta say is WOW.

I've been doin this a lot of years but yesterday, having those guys on the stage in the pouring rain was easily the coolest 3 hours of BBQfest ever. Our tent was flat out mobbed. People were packed in like sardines but the vibe was unbelievable. Probably 100-150 packed in there and EVERYONE was smiling, singing along, etc. The band was feedin off it and going over the top with solos, etc...which got the crowd more worked up.

Shot of the stage after the rain stopped. Notice the umbrella shielding the pedal board from the rain. When the rain was going there were folks packed in all the way around the band. Kirk (who has gigged wtih a lot of bigtime shows) said afterward it was his favorite show in the past year.

My buddies behind the bar decided to go shirtless with bowties. This was a pretty big hit with the ladies. HIghly entertaining. Later on in the evening our cook shed his pants down to a improvised thong under his apron.... then walked through the tent...then went tent hopping. :thumbup:

I'll post more later, gotta get down there for Saturday's Judging. Glad you guys are having a great fest too Krista!

This one ended up winning for best booth...
Thought y'all might like these, too. This is my friend's tent (they're competing in shoulder), much more elaborate than ours:

Cool.

View to the South.

View to the North.
and my friends' came in second! :)

In other news, I don't remember anything after about 9 o'clock last night. I do know I face-planted on the concrete at one point. :D

So apparently my team came in 10th (out of 65) in the Exotics category. I had no idea we had even entered, nor do I know what we made. :)

ETA: 15th out of 126 in tomato-based sauce category. :D

All I gotta say is WOW.

I've been doin this a lot of years but yesterday, having those guys on the stage in the pouring rain was easily the coolest 3 hours of BBQfest ever. Our tent was flat out mobbed. People were packed in like sardines but the vibe was unbelievable. Probably 100-150 packed in there and EVERYONE was smiling, singing along, etc. The band was feedin off it and going over the top with solos, etc...which got the crowd more worked up.

Shot of the stage after the rain stopped. Notice the umbrella shielding the pedal board from the rain. When the rain was going there were folks packed in all the way around the band. Kirk (who has gigged wtih a lot of bigtime shows) said afterward it was his favorite show in the past year.

My buddies behind the bar decided to go shirtless with bowties. This was a pretty big hit with the ladies. HIghly entertaining. Later on in the evening our cook shed his pants down to a improvised thong under his apron.... then walked through the tent...then went tent hopping. :D

I'll post more later, gotta get down there for Saturday's Judging. Glad you guys are having a great fest too Krista!
:) This is all fantastic. Totally forgot that you were having live music last night. Looks incredibly cool.

Users who are viewing this thread