What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: *** Official T.O. thread *** (1 Viewer)

Tremendous Upside

Footballguy
There was a review of TO's new autobiography in this week's SI, and it had some content that made me re-evalate him...-Did not meet his father until he was 11-Rarely saw his mother, who worked two shifts at the Russell Athletic mill in town-Was regularly and severely beaten by his grandmother growing up: "The only time you could relax was when she got depressed thinking about her mother [who disappeared when To's grandma was only 12] and started drinking...But if she drank too much you might get another whipping."-The windows of his house were kept shut and the shades were drawn, with Terrell only allowed to leave the house to go to shcool or church-Developed a crush on a girl across the street, but was told by her father that he couldn't be interested in her because she was his half-sister...Her father was HIS father also, and he had never been told that he was living across the street from his fatherI think it is remarkable that he was able to get beyond this childhood trauma and abuse (physical and emotional) to become such a successful athlete...Owens is quoted as saying "my upbringing made for underdeveloped social skills."That is certainly understandable, and really, a lot of what people criticize Owens for can be viewed as a manifestation of social dysfunction (his inability to stop talking about certain subjects [i.e. the Garcia thing]; his showy attitude that rubs many the wrong way, etc.)...If you look at it from another perspective, however, (and a point that Owens himself has made) Terrell has never been arrested, never beaten his wife/girlfriend, never been suspended for drug use, etc...Compared to many other athletes, both in the NFL and in other sports, who have much more sodid pasts but don't get 1/2 the criticism that Owens does, Owens has been a choirboy...I know I will be looking at Owens differently from here on out, and will actively root for him to succeed (except when I play him in FF, of course)...

...and William Greens parents died of AIDS...
I am not sure what your point is with your post...I am not excusing anyone's behavior by saying "Hey, they had an F'ed up childhood."But since you brought him up, in 2 1/2 seasons as a pro, William Green has done stuff much worse than Signing a football with a Sharpie, imitating Ray Lewis, etc...

I am one of the people who really have not liked TO, but after reading this post and those quotes i am having to look at him in a different light. It doesnt mean that i am giving a free pass, but it does explain alot and i am happy that he was able to get beyond his childhood.

I read Owens' book and it was very good. I came away with a little different impression of him. He really sounds like a guy just trying to win and have fun.The quotes pulled out of the book bashing Garcia are really taken out of context. In the book he does not bash him that much, and actually says a couple of times that he really respects him.I recommend the book to all football fans. It is really cool to see things from the player's point of view.

Its all lies. TO is an ###### and deserves all the criticism he gets. The only thing TO has going for him is his height.

Its all lies. TO is an ###### and deserves all the criticism he gets. The only thing TO has going for him is his height.
Now for anyone that half-way follows this board..... this is funny...

I've always liked TO's abilities as a football player...one of the best, no doubt. But he's a selfish moron off the field...and on the sidelines. He should keep his mouth shut. His upbringing brings no tears to my eyes. Many people in America have had a crappy childhood but still know how to respect other people in this world. You'd think something would've sunk in his brain if all he was allowed to do is attend church and school.

how to respect other people in this world.
Respect as defined by TO haters:Stabbing someone

Driving Drunk
Lieing to the police
Raming you vehicle into another vehicle
Not speaking your mind
Domestic viloence
Drug Abuse
Altercation with a traffic officer
Loaded weapons in cars :tinfoilhat:

His upbringing brings no tears to my eyes. Many people in America have had a crappy childhood but still know how to respect other people in this world.
And many, many, many more who had that crappy of a childhood have no respect at all for others, and have no drive to better themselves or to succeed in life.

I agree that regardless of upbringing we are responsible for our actions. etc, etc... But I also think that if this story of TO is true that it is not at all surprising he is acting the way he is. Children growing up without their father are starved for attention. It is difficult, almost impossible for any of us to imagine how we would act if we were in the same situation as he was and a superstar in the NFL. Again, assuming it is all true. I don't appreciate show-offs and prideful antics either, but I hesitate to speak against TO too bad, because if all this is true and I don't show him a little bit of compassion I think it would be me that is the prideful one.

I hesitate to speak against TO too bad, because if all this is true and I don't show him a little bit of compassion I think it would be me that is the prideful one.
how dare you show logic and reason in your posts!

I agree that regardless of upbringing we are responsible for our actions. etc, etc... But I also think that if this story of TO is true that it is not at all surprising he is acting the way he is. Children growing up without their father are starved for attention. It is difficult, almost impossible for any of us to imagine how we would act if we were in the same situation as he was and a superstar in the NFL. Again, assuming it is all true. I don't appreciate show-offs and prideful antics either, but I hesitate to speak against TO too bad, because if all this is true and I don't show him a little bit of compassion I think it would be me that is the prideful one.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :goodposting:

I'm sure Owens wouldn't want you to "shed any tears" for him either...And I don't think that anyone with a crappy childhood gets a free pass...I guess my point is that viewing his behavior in light of this childhood leaves me with different conclusions than i had previously made...At the very least it explains some of his personality traits...

- Developed a crush on a girl across the street, but was told by her father that he couldn't be interested in her because she was his half-sister...Her father was HIS father also, and he had never been told that he was living across the street from his father
Whoa!! That's just not right. I bet Dad is clinging to his son now?!

Well I'm not a famous athlete but I can say I grew up in a highly dysfunctional family - in my case maybe no father would have been better.What I think many fail to see is his antics are not "Look at me'....Its more "I told you I'm not a loser"How many whippings do you think he got so that last night on NATIONAL TELEVISION he admits that that is the thing he is still scared of the most.I'm not necessarily propping him up - he is certainly immature and often eats his foot - but he's got fire, does not tolerate losing and earned what he got. I'll take that over the gun toting thugs on the Ravens any day...

I have growing concerns about the media, and the way they choose to steer their opinions into fact and dupe the public into believing. Politics, or football, its all the same.My girlfriend and i were watching the Pitt game where TO was following Mcnabb on the sideline and my girl asked me what i thought he was saying. I felt it was obvious he was just trying to psyche up Mcnabb and not let their crappy start get to him. Mcnabb, being full of pride, was in the mood to pout so he kept moving away, and TO would not give up untill he knew Mcnabb heard him. The media, of course, spun it as "un oh, the Eagles have a bad game and out comes the REAL TO, we knew it would happen!" The media is and has been chomping at the bit to get any angle at all on a story about TO and his mouth because it makes headlines.And thats what made last night's re-enactment by TO and Mcnabb hilarious, and perfectly executed. Obviously the media had it wrong, these guys are tight and this squad is different than past squads. They are CONFIDENT they can get it done, and have the weapons to do so. TO brought a lot of that confidence, and regardless of his past i dont see any problems with him enjoying the game of football. I know id be dancing if i scored in the NFL, and so would all the hypocrites out there who rag him time after time for show boating. These guys are young, its their time to shine, so let them!The NFL and their old hat traditionalists are going to have to eventually come to the realization that their "institution" needs an overhaul, and that the fans and players feed off the action on the field, and in the endzone, as well as what comes out of their mouths. If a player says to opposing teams "you dont like me dancing, then stop me" that has HUGE POTENTIAL for rivalries to escalate, further pushing the games into the spotlight. Why wouldnt you want that?

I'm not necessarily propping him up - he is certainly immature and often eats his foot - but he's got fire, does not tolerate losing and earned what he got. I'll take that over the gun toting thugs on the Ravens any day...
:goodposting:

T.O. scores his first TD at Texas Stadium, turns and heads right out to the famed Cowboys' star logo to celebrate-- arms outstretched, head tilted skyward, toward the hole in the roof and the heavens.

Do the 'Boys fans embrace him or boo him? ;)

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
:rolleyes:

I say it's all about, "What have you done for me lately." :wub:

The Dallas fans go absolutely ape####! :eek: :excited: :clap: :pickle: :thumbup:

:yes:

If he is on the field, playing and producing for my team ....I cheer him.

He did the celebration a few years ago with SF because that is the only way he could attempt to be a big of star as the Cowboys... !!!

PS- GB George Teague for cleaning his clock that day !!!

as a Cowboy fan for many years, I would have a really hard time rooting for TO
So you sit there, arms folded across your chest, teeth clenched, and manage to nobody but yourself, "####### T.O." ??? <_<

If he became a cowboy I'd be excited because they'd be getting an elite reciever.

But I'd never really embrace him as a player. He'd just be another mercenary to me. Same as with Keyshawn and Glenn(cept replace "elite" with "good" in their cases).

I would be celebrating his TD. But when he goes out to the star I think I will be disgusted, watching it only in hopes that Teague comes out of the stands and pop him!

As I have said before.....I hated when we got Deion Sanders. Until he dominated the whole Left side of the field and scored TD's for us.T.O. will be fine as a Cowboy....Cowboy fans just want to win period.

The swagger wil be back for sure.

I would be celebrating his TD. But when he goes out to the star I think I will be disgusted, watching it only in hopes that Teague comes out of the stands and pop him!
...rupturing T.O.'s ACL, knocking him out for the year and taking your SuperBowl aspirations with him.Oh, those deals with the devil.

:P

Was just about to post the same thing.How cool would that be?

As I have said before.....I hated when we got Deion Sanders. Until he dominated the whole Left side of the field and scored TD's for us.T.O. will be fine as a Cowboy....Cowboy fans just want to win period.

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't really want him to be a Cowboy but if he is, I'll cheer for him. At least until he starts to be a disturbence to the team. Actually that's the only real reason I don't want him to be a Cowboy. The potential to be a negative and not a positive. The old centerfield star stuff is just that... old news. It was fun to hate him because of it but really no big deal. Just rivalry stuff.

Long time Cowboys fan here.

A Cowboys fan that has suffered through some horribley disappointing seasons the past DECADE.

Would I welcome TO?

As Jerry Jones said "If TO comes to Dallas, he can sleep on the star in the middle of the field for all I care."

Any fan who says they wouldn't want him on their team is full of crap. a guy who can come in and put your team over the hill and into Super Bowl contention is always welcomed.

I think it is a great marriage. Everyone either loves or hates the Cowboys, and those who hate the Cowboys, love to hate them. Same can be said about TO. It will give obnoxious Cowboys fans (I am proudly one of them) something to cheer about and a new reason for everyone else to hate the Cowboys.

Any fan who says they wouldn't want him on their team is full of crap. a guy who can come in and put your team over the hill and into Super Bowl contention is always welcomed.
TO = R. Jeckle and Mr. HydeAs of right now, I'm walking on egg shells. :whistle:

P.S. He can also put a team in the grave.

I don't think it's hard to cheer for your team even when you don't like personalities on it, without having to cheer for that personality. Were I a Cowboys fan (and may I never amass such bad karma for that to befall me), I would cheer the team's touchdown but not TO's childish need to show off.

TO = R. Jeckle and Mr. HydeAs of right now, I'm walking on egg shells. :whistle:

P.S. He can also put a team in the grave.
I don't mind going in the grave for a season or so if he puts us into the super bowl.

Just reported on ESPN radio, from multiple sources, even from Dan Campbell (who will be signing with NO). The Cowboys are prepared to make a big push for TO and that Keyshawn may now be gone as he is asking for an extension now.

:mellow:

From a TO fantasy owner's point of view, I think his stats would blow up in Dallas as the only real Wr threat coupled with a pretty good TE to occupy the safeties.

I wouldn't complain at all if I were a TO owner.

From a TO fantasy owner's point of view, I think his stats would blow up in Dallas as the only real Wr threat coupled with a pretty good TE to occupy the safeties.

I wouldn't complain at all if I were a TO owner.
:banned:

Yeah, but...A buddie and I were talking about this the other day. As a Cowboy fan, the difference is that Deion was just a jerk, with nothing about it being personal. I think we Dallas fans get all childish when it comes to this, but TO personalized it when he scored that TD, ran halfway across the field and slammed the pigskin on the star. (As an aside, I've argued since then that George Teague should go in the Ring of Honor for drilling him, but I digress.)

So, it's quite a bit different, I think.

If you gave me the choice, I'd rather find other ways of building a better team. But, if he comes to Big D, I'll put team over my personal grudges against the guy, and that means I have to root for him. There's just no choice involved.

He did the celebration a few years ago with SF because that is the only way he could attempt to be a big of star as the Cowboys... !!!

Didn't Teague hit TO from behind and still not even knock TO off his feet? Thats hardly "cleaning his clock" imo.

Didn't Teague hit TO from behind and still not even knock TO off his feet? Thats hardly "cleaning his clock" imo.
Nope. His ### clearly met turf.

T.O. signing with Dallas would be a sure sign of the apocolypse :tinfoilhat:

Long time Cowboy fan here. I am PRAYING T.O. comes to Dallas. I will go on nfl.com and buy his jersey. Regardless of his past he is a playmaker. Dallas hasnt had a playmaker at WR since Irvin. T.O. could singlehandly make Dallas a top 5-10 offense along with a young and upcoming defense. With other able bodies such as Witten, Glenn, Crayton, and Jones this would be a nightmare for defenses to cover.

I will be surprised if Owens does not end up Dallas.

If he had a brain in his head, he would know that he would be a better fit in Denver or Kansas City (better offenses tailor-made for his skills and at least one of those teams, Denver, is much closer to being a Super Bowl contender than Dallas). However, Owens, when it all comes down to it, would rather take more money (which you know Dallas will offer him the most) and the opportunity to stick it to the Eagles twice a year rather than go to a team that is very close to having enough to win it all.

As a Broncos fan, that is fine with me.

Also, if Owens becomes a Cowboy, Dallas at Philly is a lock for a Monday night game early next season.

Long time Cowboy fan here. I am PRAYING T.O. comes to Dallas. I will go on nfl.com and buy his jersey. Regardless of his past he is a playmaker. Dallas hasnt had a playmaker at WR since Irvin. T.O. could singlehandly make Dallas a top 5-10 offense along with a young and upcoming defense. With other able bodies such as Witten, Glenn, Crayton, and Jones this would be a nightmare for defenses to cover.
Good god, please get a hold of yourself. Let us please review the evidence of the carnage he leaves behind (see SF, see Philly, see Baltimore). Everything he touches turns to dirt. Now, granted, all you say about how good the offense could be, he would certainly move things in the right direction. But, let us please not forget about the past, and as a Cowboy fan, move cautiously--ever-so-cautiously--with enthusiasm over bringing this ingrate into the fold. He will likely give us a good shot in the arm, offensively, and then be the cancer that he is at some point. And, we're just going to have to watch the :tfp: unfold.Got it?

Good.

I will be surprised if Owens does not end up Dallas.

If he had a brain in his head, he would know that he would be a better fit in Denver or Kansas City (better offenses tailor-made for his skills and at least one of those teams, Denver, is much closer to being a Super Bowl contender than Dallas). However, Owens, when it all comes down to it, would rather take more money (which you know Dallas will offer him the most) and the opportunity to stick it to the Eagles twice a year rather than go to a team that is very close to having enough to win it all.

As a Broncos fan, that is fine with me.

Also, if Owens becomes a Cowboy, Dallas at Philly is a lock for a Monday night game early next season.
No way Denver is closer to a Super Bowl than Dallas. In the division they are in? In the AFC? No way. Dallas has a much better chance of making the Super Bowl than the Broncos and they have just as much talent on defense and just as much talent on offense.

My thoughts being a so so Cowboy fan. Packers first of NFC. COWBOYS second only because my wife! (her grandmother took them to her grave with her!)

1. First play from scrimmage when TO scores and runs to the star in a cowboy uniform the cowboy fans will forgive him!

2. Parcells will keep him in place or at least keeps him toned down.

Will Parcells ever punch him??? lol

3. Cowboys are back to at least NFC finals with T.O. on board!

Users who are viewing this thread