What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Miami (7-7) at New Orleans (7-7)*** (+3) o/u 37.5 South Beach rolls thru the Big Easy (1 Viewer)

OMG a big thank you that Brissett is in!!! Up by .22 with Tua as my QB. Nervous AF that Tua may need to take a kneel or two and cost me the game.

Your scoring system must be insein for them to have that many points. They only have 25 points in my league after that last interception.
Down to 40 now after that 57 yard play. 

2pts per sack (16)

2pts per turnover (4)

6 pts for TD (6)

8 pts for 1-6 pts scored (8)

6 pts for 100-199 yards (6)

There has been shockingly little discussion on how good Waddle has been, especially with as bad as his QB play has been. He’s going to be a really good receiver, especially if Miami can get someone that can actually get him the ball.

Watchers are aware that the Saints are rolling with basically their last-preseason-game guys at a bunch of positions, right?

Flores should burn this game tape and dress down his Dolphins next film day. He should tell them "You shoulda won by 40!!!!"

cry me a river

Houston had 10 starters (20+ sumtin players) on the Covid list & figured out how to win 

easier to find a team that doesn’t have 10+ cases rn

terrible product

cry me a river

Houston had 10 starters (20+ sumtin players) on the Covid list & figured out how to win 

easier to find a team that doesn’t have 10+ cases rn

terrible product
Forget COVID -- the Saints are also the most injured team in the league ... as in guys missing games, not guys playing hurt.

Opposing fans won't sympathize, of course. This team at full strength is an 11-12 win squad. It's all injuries + COVID. Product is fine when you're not starting practice squad OL at three positions.

There has been shockingly little discussion on how good Waddle has been, especially with as bad as his QB play has been. He’s going to be a really good receiver, especially if Miami can get someone that can actually get him the ball.
Tua has been very good on short quick accurate throws to Waddle. Tonight Tua hit Waddle in stride multiple times.  He even connected with Waddle on some throws between 10 and 20 yards, some in traffic. Coming into tonight, Tua was tops in the league in completion percentage, about 70%,l. And Waddle is now 6th in the NFL in receptions.  It's been a good match.

Tua hasn't been good on deep throws, which have been infrequent due to bad oline play and his inability or reluctance to scramble and buy time.  But he has been throwing deep more often in recent games, like the 40 yarder to Hollins, and the bad INT.  Waddle is not a tall WR so he needs to get separation on deep passes, which I haven't seen much of. Tua will never be a QB with an arm like Allen, Mahomes, or Herbert. The coaches are hoping for someone like Brees.

Tua has been very good on short quick accurate throws to Waddle. Tonight Tua hit Waddle in stride multiple times.  He even connected with Waddle on some throws between 10 and 20 yards, some in traffic. Coming into tonight, Tua was tops in the league in completion percentage, about 70%,l. And Waddle is now 6th in the NFL in receptions.  It's been a good match.

Tua hasn't been good on deep throws, which have been infrequent due to bad oline play and his inability or reluctance to scramble and buy time.  But he has been throwing deep more often in recent games, like the 40 yarder to Hollins, and the bad INT.  Waddle is not a tall WR so he needs to get separation on deep passes, which I haven't seen much of. Tua will never be a QB with an arm like Allen, Mahomes, or Herbert. The coaches are hoping for someone like Brees.
Good Stuff

-Lindsay, Duke and Gaskin total up almost nothing...Miami needs not 1 but 2 strong young RBs to give Tua a solid and strong running game that doesn't require him to throw as often or carry the team and here we are late Year 2...

-Also need a real OL, it has 1 maybe 2 keepers and the rest stink. 

Tua still needs a lot of help 

Your scoring system must be insein for them to have that many points. They only have 25 points in my league after that last interception.
Down to 40 now after that 57 yard play. 

2pts per sack (16)

2pts per turnover (4)

6 pts for TD (6)

8 pts for 1-6 pts scored (8)

6 pts for 100-199 yards (6)

I love comparing DST settings - it's so much more fun to add things which correlate to good D IRL.

I started Miami last night:

• 3 points allowed (1-6) - 7.0
  • 8 sacks - 8.0
  • 6 TFL - 1.5
  • 2 INT - 4.0
  • TD - 6.0
  • 2 4th Down Stops - 2.0
  • 164 Yards Allowed (100-199) - 4.0
  • 3 and Outs Forced - 1.5
  • TOTAL = 34.00
High score for a DST this year was NE in Week 11 (36.00). There were 4 other instances of DSTs above 30 this year:

• BUF Weeks 2 (30.75) & 4 (31.00)
  • MIA Week 12 (31.75) & last night.
Most weeks the DST1 is between 19 and 28, so higher than standard setups - but not too crazy, IMO.

Good Stuff

-Lindsay, Duke and Gaskin total up almost nothing...Miami needs not 1 but 2 strong young RBs to give Tua a solid and strong running game that doesn't require him to throw as often or carry the team and here we are late Year 2...

-Also need a real OL, it has 1 maybe 2 keepers and the rest stink. 

Tua still needs a lot of help 
Eichenburg and Hunt are keepers. 

Davis makes a good backup because he can play any OL spot when needed.

We need a new LG,C and RT.

We need another good WR

We need a true mauler blocking TE.

Get those elements and we could be a good offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest thing you can tell about Book is that he has decent wheels and can take a hit. 

His passing hasn't looked great but he has had folks in his face all night.
I actually thought Book showed a bit of progression over his last year in college last night. He tried to move within the pocket and keep his eyes downfield vs bailing out too early (he did way too much of the latter in the Senior Bowl). There just wasn't often anyone to throw to.

He is mobile and can make good throws on the move. I'd like to see how he works in an offense more similar to what the Titans with play actions and rollouts off of a strong running game. The Saints needed to get Ingram going.

Eichenburg and Hunt are keepers. 

Davis makes a good backup because he can play any OL spot when needed.

We need a new LG,C and RT.

We need another good WR

We need a true mauler blocking TE.

Get those elements and we could be a good offense.
Eichenburg is a keeper, but I'm not sure it is at LT. Ideally, I'd get a better LT and move him inside or to the right.

Someone will pay Gesicki too much and Miami can prioritize more a well rounded TE. Maybe an OJ Howard reclamation project...

@Kat_Terrell: Sean Payton: "In fairness to Ian, it's impossible to evaluate his play. Hopefully we can get a little healthier, get some guys back and be ready to go next week."

@JohnJHendrix: Sean Payton (on Ian Book): "Just keeping him upright was a challenge."

Said it was a tough position for him to be in.

what is Griese talking about? How can you evaluate a QB in this situation?

Biggest thing you can tell about Book is that he has decent wheels and can take a hit. 

His passing hasn't looked great but he has had folks in his face all night.

Eichenburg is a keeper, but I'm not sure it is at LT. Ideally, I'd get a better LT and move him inside or to the right.

Someone will pay Gesicki too much and Miami can prioritize more a well rounded TE. Maybe an OJ Howard reclamation project...
Agree on Gesicki. He is one dimensional. But I would pay him like a premier slot stretch TE....Hence why they drafted Hunter Long whom I believe will develop into that well rounded TE we want. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do with Gesicki. 

I believe they franchise tag Ogbah and work out an extension for him. 

Eichenburg IMO (and like you think) will probably be moved over to the right side and protect Tua’s blindside. What a bust Austin Jackson has been......I know they are not going to give up on him so maybe he can rebound as he clearly regressed this year. He is still very young and on his rookie deal. 

What is frustrating is Grier has spent a lot of draft capital on the OL and so far only two out of 8 (I am losing count) guys have really panned out....that is a terrible batting average. 

But his 2021 draft is looking great. We landed a lot of bonafide studs (Waddle, Phillips, Holland) and still may land two more (Eichenburg and Long) out of this draft. 

Amazing how grim things looked at 1-7. I was really ticked off but they have shown some life (even though the teams they have beaten have all been pretty bad). 

We are not a bonafide playoff team.....no way. The offense last night scored 13 points vs a decimated Saints defense. But you can see they are finally figuring out how to use Tua. I am really curious to see him behind a real OL with some real RB’s. 

2022 is going to be a critical off-season and draft to take the next step. And it looks like it will be Grier and Flores....with this turnaround they are going no where.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I made a ton of money on that -3 Dolphins bet.  I knew it wasn't going to be close as our team is in injury plus Covid shambles.  

Look at the bright side though.  We finally won't be playing a 1st placed schedule next year for the first time in forever.

I love comparing DST settings - it's so much more fun to add things which correlate to good D IRL.

• 8 sacks - 8.0
  • 6 TFL - 1.5
  • 2 INT - 4.0
  • TD - 6.0
  • 2 4th Down Stops - 2.0
  • TOTAL = 34.00
High score for a DST this year was NE in Week 11 (36.00). There were 4 other instances of DSTs above 30 this year:

Most weeks the DST1 is between 19 and 28, so higher than standard setups - but not too crazy, IMO.
I had the Cowboys D going in my league and just looked and saw they had 1 more point than Miami in our scoring system.

Agree on Gesicki. He is one dimensional. But I would pay him like a premier slot stretch TE....Hence why they drafted Hunter Long whom I believe will develop into that well rounded TE we want. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do with Gesicki. 

I believe they franchise tag Ogbah and work out an extension for him. 

Eichenburg IMO (and like you think) will probably be moved over to the right side and protect Tua’s blindside. What a bust Austin Jackson has been......I know they are not going to give up on him so maybe he can rebound as he clearly regressed this year. He is still very young and on his rookie deal. 

What is frustrating is Grier has spent a lot of draft capital on the OL and so far only two out of 8 (I am losing count) guys have really panned out....that is a terrible batting average. 

But his 2021 draft is looking great. We landed a lot of bonafide studs (Waddle, Phillips, Holland) and still may land two more (Eichenburg and Long) out of this draft. 

Amazing how grim things looked at 1-7. I was really ticked off but they have shown some life (even though the teams they have beaten have all been pretty bad). 

We are not a bonafide playoff team.....no way. The offense last night scored 13 points vs a decimated Saints defense. But you can see they are finally figuring out how to use Tua. I am really curious to see him behind a real OL with some real RB’s. 

2022 is going to be a critical off-season and draft to take the next step. And it looks like it will be Grier and Flores....with this turnaround they are going no where.
October: Does Ross fire both Grier and Flores, or just Grier?

December: Flores should get some votes for coach of the year. And Grier is a draft genius, aside from the oline.

October: Does Ross fire both Grier and Flores, or just Grier?

December: Flores should get some votes for coach of the year. And Grier is a draft genius, aside from the oline.
Hell no...........to be frank I would fire Grier. I am just stating why it is not happening. Ross is not a guy who moves fast. And if they actually win out.....he is in no way firing Grier and Flores.

Ask yourself.......are we any different than we have been in th last 20 years?

Nope. Same middling team that is never bad enough to truly rebuild for 3-4 years....never good enough to actually be a post season contender most years and actually win a playoff game.

Same ol Dolphins guys.

They had a shot to draft a franchise QB and blew it. I am still not a Tua fan......he is not elite nor will he ever be. I love how the media is making hoopla about his completion%......well it helps when you are dinking and dunking 5-7 yards a pop.....I am not delusional. We still need a real deal QB to ever go to the promised land and Tua ain’t it. 

But this is the hand as fans we have been dealt.....at some point I try to find silver linings to try and convince myself.....that we “have a shot” as Jimmy Johnson said back in 1999.....LOL!!!

We finally won't be playing a 1st placed schedule next year for the first time in forever.
I don't think 1st place schedules are really a meaningful thing anymore. With the 17-game schedule ... all but three games are pre-determined by division games (x6), conference division (x4), opposite-conference division (x4).

Only then does a first-place team get scheduled two more previous-season first-place squads in the same conference and one from the opposite conference. This year, the Saints got Green Bay, Seattle, and Tennessee.

I think it's more meaningful now as you have an extra game vs the slot you finish.  Before it was 2 games.  In this league with only 1 bye per conference, every game matters.

No RBs will be getting going -- the Saints O-line is toast. Three guys off the street last night, plus Carlos Ruiz turning into a massive late 1st round bust. C Eric McCoy can't block everyone.
You're right, just was thinking it is easier to run block than pass block against the multiple fronts Miami uses. Also still think Wilkins is trash against the run.

I think it's more meaningful now as you have an extra game vs the slot you finish.  Before it was 2 games.  In this league with only 1 bye per conference, every game matters.
Can't argue with that. Was glad to catch Seattle in a down year, still.

Saints had one walk-through practice and a throw-the-ball-around session leading up to the Dolphins game. Plus a few Zoom sessions. Last night's game was basically prime Chuck Liddell vs. Stephen Hawking in an MMA match. 
yeah this was basically the Lions leading up to the Denver loss.

8 on Covid, 17 on IR, 25 guys had the flu, and their game plan centered around the 5th string RB. 7 guys from the practice squad and a couple off the street, some of them starting (one with zero reps + the guy with the defensive green dot helmet in his 2nd NFL game.) did not have a full practice all week, on the days they did open the facility they split the squad up (morning/afternoon.)

some ridiculous stuff going on in the NFL this year. the Ravens had 4 new guys playing DB last Sunday - Burrow looked like he jumped from replacement level to HoF.

• 8 sacks - 8.0
  • 6 TFL - 1.5
  • 2 INT - 4.0
  • TD - 6.0
  • 2 4th Down Stops - 2.0
  • TOTAL = 34.00

The 8-Seed in my league was all but toast and got a magical night from the Phins to propel him and take out the 1-Seed

I took out the 4-seed, looking forward to this weekend

Users who are viewing this thread