What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Miami talking about getting McNair (1 Viewer)

With Volek around, chances are it'd be a good trade for both teams IMO. I would think it highly increases the chances they draft a QB too. It'll be interesting if Ty Law slipped here saying this or if he's just shooting his mouth off and telling a rumor like so many are nowadays.

The Titans face a deadline in March of either paying $50 million to extend the quarterback's contract through 2009 or a $1 million fee that would take his deal through 2006. He is scheduled for $9 million in base salary for 2006.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/13899442.htm

It also goes on to say the Titans can afford him in 2006 but I hardly doubt they cleaned out all that dead cap space to spend it on an older player. ALso says McNair won't accept a pay cut.

Law might be right

If McNair is gone, does Tenn take Cutler over Young since he appears more NFL ready?.

If McNair is gone, does Tenn take Cutler over Young since he appears more NFL ready?.
Wha?Youre going to have to explain how Culter is more "NFL-ready" than Young.

I love Cutler, but that statement seems completely silly to me.

With Volek around, chances are it'd be a good trade for both teams IMO. I would think it highly increases the chances they draft a QB too. It'll be interesting if Ty Law slipped here saying this or if he's just shooting his mouth off and telling a rumor like so many are nowadays.
Volek isnt staying in TEN, no matter what.McNair is going to have to get much realistic on his contract demands before chances become "good"

Young did beat Cutler, and everyone else, at the QB Challenge.

Culter wasnt there. And are you sure Young won? I remember watching it and thinking Olsen won.

Culter wasnt there. And are you sure Young won? I remember watching it and thinking Olsen won.
You're right about Cutler. My bad. I was thinking about Croyle.But Vince took a 2nd, a 2nd, and a 1st (and the 1st wasn't even close http://media.putfile.com/Vince-All-Star-Game'>). Two other guys had a "1" and a "2", but neither had a 2nd "2".

Anyway...not trying to hijack.

Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

You're right about Cutler. My bad. I was thinking about Croyle.But Vince took a 2nd, a 2nd, and a 1st (and the 1st wasn't even close http://media.putfile.com/Vince-All-Star-Game'>). Two other guys had a "1" and a "2", but neither had a 2nd "2".

Sorry.
No problem. I loved watching Vince throw the accuracy and scramble drills. He has a cannon compared to the other guys there. The distance throwing was a little hard to watch though.

Ty Law lives down here. He probably saw one of the articles abou ### in the paper. Not a done deal, and Miami ain't giving up picks for McNair. If Tenn releases him...

Sorry.
:confused: How does the QB challenge = NFL Ready?Anyway, whether McNair leaves or not shouldn't affect the pick. Fisher isn't that short sighted. I doubt McNair leaves, but if he does, Volek will suffice for a year while the Titans pursue another top 5 pick.

*Ty Law is pretty funny. He'll pimp a team as he tries to get a new deal. He did the same thing last year. Whatever city the writer is from or wherever he is visiting he'll talk about how much he'd love to play there. Translation...if you pony up the cash he'll love you to death.

*McNair would certainly be a short term fix for Miami. A big upgrade over what they currently have. Yet, long term he would be another key player that is aging for Miami. If Miami had to trade for him that would probably mean giving up some assets that could help the future. If they do add McNair they would also need to figure out their QB situation after him because he's not getting any younger and durability is definetly a question.

Acquiring McNair would be the best offseason move I have seen the Dolphins make since hiring Jimmy Johnson. This would be an outstanding move.

Sorry.
:confused: How does the QB challenge = NFL Ready?Anyway, whether McNair leaves or not shouldn't affect the pick. Fisher isn't that short sighted. I doubt McNair leaves, but if he does, Volek will suffice for a year while the Titans pursue another top 5 pick.
I didn't say the QBC = NFL ready. I simply was comparing Young to Cutler, but it was invalid anyway, since Cutler wasn't there.

Sorry.
Again, Volek will not be back this year to the Titans, no matter what.

Sorry.
One of those 2nd's was in the distance contest where he barely got the ball in bounds on the 3rd throw. Not very impressive and he beat the other two QBs by ony a couple yards.

Again, Volek will not be back this year to the Titans, no matter what.
:link: Everything I saw while in Nashville was that one of McNair/Volek would start next year, they weren't sure which one. (Newspapers, can't link to them)

Sorry.
One of those 2nd's was in the distance contest where he barely got the ball in bounds on the 3rd throw. Not very impressive and he beat the other two QBs by ony a couple yards.
Did he beat 'em or not?Yes.

Also, some of the other QBs scratched throws, too. It was windy, etc. One of Young's scratches went 75 yards and was only out by a coupla feet (since we're playing the "only by" game). Nobody else came close to that.

Bottom line, however, is this, and if you've watched much of Vince this year, you already know this:

Vince Young had no trouble hitting the deep ball when throwing to wrs in football games...and isn't that, after all, what it's all about?

Now, tell me 'bout that last round, where Young dominated that ###, even though they thought he'd struggle.

Miami's situation reinforces my view that a qb is one of the final pieces when building a championship team. Many young qb's (Carr, Harrington, Couch, etc.) who were selected by teams needing a savior have failed miserably. Teams (New England, Pittsburgh, Carolina, etc.) who have developed a solid defense, a strong offensive line, and veteran receivers became contenders as soon as they added a competent qb.

Miami may be in a position to become the next great team. Following the huge mistake of giving up a second round pick to get a backup quarterback before they were ready to take that step, they now find themselves looking at one of the final pieces.

They are also in a position where they have many options to choose. Many quality qb's are available (i.e., Brees, Culpepper, McNair) and they are in position to take a guy like Cutler if they choose. Actually, they could acquire an older player and draft a young qb so that he could be groomed, ala Kitna and Palmer.

Please, please don't mention Peyton Manning because he ruins my theory!

Miami's situation reinforces my view that a qb is one of the final pieces when building a championship team. Many young qb's (Carr, Harrington, Couch, etc.) who were selected by teams needing a savior have failed miserably. Teams (New England, Pittsburgh, Carolina, etc.) who have developed a solid defense, a strong offensive line, and veteran receivers became contenders as soon as they added a competent qb.

Miami may be in a position to become the next great team. Following the huge mistake of giving up a second round pick to get a backup quarterback before they were ready to take that step, they now find themselves looking at one of the final pieces.

They are also in a position where they have many options to choose. Many quality qb's are available (i.e., Brees, Culpepper, McNair) and they are in position to take a guy like Cutler if they choose. Actually, they could acquire an older player and draft a young qb so that he could be groomed, ala Kitna and Palmer.

Miami SHOULD bring back Brian Griese, who will certainly be released by the Bucs.Hes younger and as good/better than McNair at this point in their careers, and would come at a cheaper salary and with no draft pick compensation.

Miami's situation reinforces my view that a qb is one of the final pieces when  building a championship team. Many young qb's (Carr, Harrington, Couch, etc.) who were selected by teams needing a savior have failed miserably.  Teams (New England, Pittsburgh, Carolina, etc.) who have developed a solid defense, a strong offensive line, and veteran receivers became contenders as soon as they added a competent qb.

Miami SHOULD bring back Brian Griese, who will certainly be released by the Bucs.Hes younger and as good/better than McNair at this point in their careers, and would come at a cheaper salary and with no draft pick compensation.
I think if we posted a McNair vs. Griese poll, you would be in the minority.

Bledsoe won the first championship game for their first Supe, brady got hurt. BTW Bledsoe was on an earlier Supe team (that lost)as well.Pittsburgh certainly has a good young QB they drafted.Delhomme was a nobody in New Orleans. Maybe not young but he was quite inexperienced and since he went to the Panthers they are far far better.

Miami's situation reinforces my view that a qb is one of the final pieces when  building a championship team. Many young qb's (Carr, Harrington, Couch, etc.) who were selected by teams needing a savior have failed miserably.  Teams (New England, Pittsburgh, Carolina, etc.) who have developed a solid defense, a strong offensive line, and veteran receivers became contenders as soon as they added a competent qb.

I think if we posted a McNair vs. Griese poll, you would be in the minority.
Given the quality of most of the posters on this board, that would not surprise me in the least. Not many understand the cap, or contracts, or finances...and certainly no one has seen more McNair games thanI have.EDIT TO ADD: McNair is one of my top 3 favorite players all-time in the NFL...Im certainly not a "hater" or whatever term that is that some simpletons use.

Given the quality of most of the posters on this board, that would not surprise me in the least. Not many understand the cap, or contracts, or finances...and certainly no one has seen more McNair games than I have.

EDIT TO ADD: McNair is one of my top 3 favorite players all-time in the NFL...Im certainly not a "hater" or whatever term that is that some simpletons use.
WTF is with that first sentence diesel?McNair is a good QB. I hate that he's "always" hurt to some degree but he's good. Every team doesn't have that option. Look at buffalo's mayhem at QB. If they got McNair that would put an end to that. McNair secures the QB position for at least a year.

Griese is an odd bird in that he's done pretty well and get bounced team to team. I think journeyman is the term. Fiedler was cut by the Jets IIRC and he or Frerotte could easily backup McNair for a cheap rate.

Users who are viewing this thread