What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mid-Large SUV Recommendations - now sponsored by Kia (1 Viewer)

My daughter has a Jeep Compass and my wife has an Edge. The one huge difference that favors the Edge is the engine. 2.0T seems very refined and peppy. 

I know you said "domestic", but I have really liked my Toyota 4 Runner.  Bought it in new 2010 and still going strong.  I will strongly consider getting another one when the time comes (probably soon when my next child learns to drive and I pass the current 4 Runner to my kids for their use.)
I had 2 4-Runners for 17 years...sold both at a great resale price, and just upgraded to the Sequoia.

I spent a lot of time comping the Sequoia to others that size, more or less expensive...including some test drives of the Tahoe and GMC.  The Sequoia grades better on Consumer Reports, seems to hold it's value slightly better, and is actually larger inside than the others (which i need now with 2 boys and a golden).  I'm 6 months in and absolutely love it.

Buddy-a-mine is Mr. Research when it comes to purchases such as cars, phones, houses, TVs, etc.   Had a text conversation with him a few nights ago about Kia.  He's been a lifelong Subaru owner and was due for a new ride.  Heard bad things about the new Subarus, specifically their transmissions, so looked elsewhere and heard MANY good things about Kia.  He ended up buying a '20 Sorento after the dealer offered some real nice incentives and even had a Costco discount on top of all the dealer discounts.

I drove a Kia Sorento several years ago and was really impressed.  So, coupled with my buddy's research and my own, I had my parents use their Costco membership details to fire up the quote process.  I am going to go drive the Sorento perhaps this weekend, maybe next.  Hopeful I can get something at a payment that feels right.

Anyone have a Kia?  Sorento specifically?

Kia telluride looks awesome and gets great reviews if looking new. My sister in law has a Kia SUV that is a few years old and likes it. Can’t remember model name. 

My wife has the Subaru ascent and she likes it. It is a good family hauler but not an exciting drive. I need something a bit more fun so have an A4 but you aren’t looking for a car. 

I got a small Ford Ecosport SUV for a rental...no bueno. Seats aren't comfortable, it has no "pep", and the mileage kinda sucks (so far at least).

Surprised the Toyota Highlander isn't getting any love in this thread.  Is seems to always be one of the highest rated mid-size SUVs and we love ours.  One of the main selling points when we were shopping for an SUV was that the 2nd row seats had gobs of room compared to other brands we looked at.  The 3rd row is pretty cramped, but with a family of just 4, we leave the 3rd row folded down 99% of the time and use it for lots of extra cargo space.

It looks like the winner is going to be a 2020 Kia Sorento EX. 

Going to dealership tonight with my mom, who has graciously offered to put the down payment down while I sell my current ride and pull some cash out of my retirement account.

Kia's are nice.  The Mazda CX-5 is also nice.  I guess I am too late to this thread.  Enjoy your new car.

Kia telluride looks awesome and gets great reviews if looking new. My sister in law has a Kia SUV that is a few years old and likes it. Can’t remember model name. 

My wife has the Subaru ascent and she likes it. It is a good family hauler but not an exciting drive. I need something a bit more fun so have an A4 but you aren’t looking for a car. 
My wife’s friend just bought a Telluride.   I never heard of this vehicle before but was quite impressed.   The seats were comfortable and the interior was attractive.   

Does no one here have a Subaru Ascent yet?  The wife got one in January and we both love it.  She wanted a Tahoe, but I asked her to at least test drive the Ascent.  She fell in love and never looked back.  

Its a tad shorter than a Tahoe, but still really spacious.  Ours has captain seats and a 3rd row.   I've sat in the back and its tolerable.  

Has AWD, can tow 5000 lbs and has a very zippy 2.0 super charged 4 cylinder.   I think they all come standard with lane assist and the pacing cruise control. 
Still digging the Acsent?  I’m moving on from 2010 Forester and that is my likely choice. 

Still digging the Acsent?  I’m moving on from 2010 Forester and that is my likely choice. 
Wife loves it.  We've made multiple 10+ hour road trips in it and the 3 kids are pretty comfortable with their set up.  We did get a Thule Roof rack for trips.   Cleaning it up is super easy.  I think that's my favorite part.   I'm nerdy when it comes to a clean car.  We can drive 11 hours home from Disney and I can have the interior looking showroom quality again in 30 minutes.  

Bought a 2020 Sorento EX last night.  It's got all the bells and whistles and I just love it so far.  The only other time I bought new was when I got a fairly cheap Ford Ranger about 20 years ago.  Since then I've leased new, which was nice, but it was gone before I could really enjoy it it seemed like.  Plus it was technically "my wife's".  :(  

This is all mine and I can't wait to get it out and about.  Driving the kids 2 minutes down the road to school today will be my big outing.  :lol:    But do get to drive up to LA on Friday for a work site visit so that'll be nice.

Only complaint is the sound system isn't very powerful.  I may need a modest upgrade there.

Bought a 2020 Sorento EX last night.  It's got all the bells and whistles and I just love it so far.  The only other time I bought new was when I got a fairly cheap Ford Ranger about 20 years ago.  Since then I've leased new, which was nice, but it was gone before I could really enjoy it it seemed like.  Plus it was technically "my wife's".  :(  

This is all mine and I can't wait to get it out and about.  Driving the kids 2 minutes down the road to school today will be my big outing.  :lol:    But do get to drive up to LA on Friday for a work site visit so that'll be nice.

Only complaint is the sound system isn't very powerful.  I may need a modest upgrade there.
How many times have you done the look-back?

Domestic vs Foreign

Toyota and Honda have huge US plants
I sell to both, also the Big 3.    Not the 80s and 90s anymore.  They are more the same than different now.  All use same componants and suppliers. Body styles might be a little different but the bones are the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife loves it.  We've made multiple 10+ hour road trips in it and the 3 kids are pretty comfortable with their set up.  We did get a Thule Roof rack for trips.   Cleaning it up is super easy.  I think that's my favorite part.   I'm nerdy when it comes to a clean car.  We can drive 11 hours home from Disney and I can have the interior looking showroom quality again in 30 minutes.  
Thing is a great family hauler and my wife is happy with hers as well.

Tellurides are going for several grand above MSRP around here (Bay Area). No deals.
Yeah I didn't even consider those.  I got a screamin' deal on my '20 Sorento with all the bells and whistles so I'm super happy.  Few days in here and I love it.

Congrats on the new ride. Mother in law has a Kia but it's a few years old. Can't remember if it's a Sorento. It's a little small for my tastes with leg room etc. Love my wife's Pilot. My next car might involve handing down my Sonata to my 15 year old and taking over the Pilot while she gets a new one..maybe another Pilot. I'd consider a Hyundai or Kia as well if I were looking for my own mid size SUV.

Congrats on the new ride. Mother in law has a Kia but it's a few years old. Can't remember if it's a Sorento. It's a little small for my tastes with leg room etc. Love my wife's Pilot. My next car might involve handing down my Sonata to my 15 year old and taking over the Pilot while she gets a new one..maybe another Pilot. I'd consider a Hyundai or Kia as well if I were looking for my own mid size SUV.
Leg room is fine in my Sorento, or at least from my POV.  I'm 6'0" on the nose, front seats have plenty of room.  Back seats will be taken up by my kids for the next 8-10 years and while they will certainly grow taller, it sure feels like there's enough room back there.  Haven't sat in the third row but I doubt that will be used much.

The best values right now IMO in the used mid-size SUV segment are the Toyota 4Runner and Mercedes GLE. The 4Runner has almost no depreciation and the GLS will hold it's value better than most over the next 2 years. 

You can also find some good deals on a used Mercedes GLE right now. For some reason, this model has been sitting on many dealer lots for a long time. Yes it's more expensive than a Kia, even a new Kia, but it's also not a Kia. 

BTW BMW's are garbage
I almost always hear the same report from BMW owners ( and I have known several).

They initially love the styling and performance but after a few years of unreliability and expensive maintenance, they wonder why they bought one in the first place.

i would recommend something zesty like a dodge journey for starters it is butt ugly so theft will not be a problem second if you are friends with your mechanic this baby had five recalls in 2018 alone so you will get to see your buddy a lot when you are living at your local garage third this bad boy had a reliability rating of 19 percent and was motobiscuits fifth least reliable 2019 suv and is known to have transmission drive train power equipment and infotainment issues galore so if you are the kind looking to date a wild child and try to fix them then this is the ride for you take that to the bank brochachos 

The best values right now IMO in the used mid-size SUV segment are the Toyota 4Runner and Mercedes GLE. The 4Runner has almost no depreciation and the GLS will hold it's value better than most over the next 2 years. 

You can also find some good deals on a used Mercedes GLE right now. For some reason, this model has been sitting on many dealer lots for a long time. Yes it's more expensive than a Kia, even a new Kia, but it's also not a Kia. 
You apparently have done no research on where Kia ranks these days, but thanks for the input.

I sell to both, also the Big 3.    Not the 80s and 90s anymore.  They are more the same than different now.  All use same componants and suppliers. Body styles might be a little different but the bones are the same.
Off topic, but what do you sell to them?

You apparently have done no research on where Kia ranks these days, but thanks for the input.
As part of my research into making a purchasing decision, I did drive some Kia rental cars recently including Sorento, also the Hyundai Tucson, Infinity QX60, and a few others. They all seemed to be decent quality in general. But for Kia, the paint quality in particular was not good. The interior was better than I expected, but didn't look like it would hold up well over time. The Tucson seemed more durable. The QX60 was decent all around and more spacious but not great looking and a bit underpowered. 

Also the rankings like JD Power are all pay to play in case you didn't know. They don't really mean much. What really tells the story is resale value and unfortunately, Kia falls short in that regard. 

I almost always hear the same report from BMW owners ( and I have known several).

They initially love the styling and performance but after a few years of unreliability and expensive maintenance, they wonder why they bought one in the first place.
My BMW had maintenance problems/issues and it could be a huge pain.  Even when it was under warranty, taking it to get something fixed every 8 months was a drag.  But, it was so much fun to drive.  I miss it in spite of everything.

As part of my research into making a purchasing decision, I did drive some Kia rental cars recently including Sorento, also the Hyundai Tucson, Infinity QX60, and a few others. They all seemed to be decent quality in general. But for Kia, the paint quality in particular was not good. The interior was better than I expected, but didn't look like it would hold up well over time. The Tucson seemed more durable. The QX60 was decent all around and more spacious but not great looking and a bit underpowered. 

Also the rankings like JD Power are all pay to play in case you didn't know. They don't really mean much. What really tells the story is resale value and unfortunately, Kia falls short in that regard. 
I don't care one lick about resale value, because, quite frankly, I don't anticipate nor expect to have to resell it because of its superior warranties and the fact that I don't churn through cars.  I plan on keeping this car for at least 12-15 years.

And if all you're going off is paint quality, then I dunno what else to say.

The interior rivals Lexus and other higher-end brands.   My mom has a Lexus and the Kia is every bit as appointed inside.

Anyways, not trying to make it a pissing match but every single thing I read about Kia over the past 4-6 months led me to believe they are well-past being "on the rise" and driving it matched the research.

I don't care one lick about resale value, because, quite frankly, I don't anticipate nor expect to have to resell it because of its superior warranties and the fact that I don't churn through cars.  I plan on keeping this car for at least 12-15 years.

And if all you're going off is paint quality, then I dunno what else to say.

The interior rivals Lexus and other higher-end brands.   My mom has a Lexus and the Kia is every bit as appointed inside.

Anyways, not trying to make it a pissing match but every single thing I read about Kia over the past 4-6 months led me to believe they are well-past being "on the rise" and driving it matched the research.
if you dont care about resale value or even having someone else ever buy it then again check out the dodge journey take that to the bank bromigo 

Just my observation,  but it seems like after a hail storm, KIA and Hyundai have more damage to the exterior than any other companies I see.

if you dont care about resale value or even having someone else ever buy it then again check out the dodge journey take that to the bank bromigo 
I already went to the bank and bought a Kia Sorento, which I love bro-cha-kia! :)  

Users who are viewing this thread