What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Anderson Update? (1 Viewer)

Per Denver Post, Bell may start even if Anderson can play this week...

link:  http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3033409
Anderson questionable

While Bailey returned Thursday, the status of tailback Mike Anderson was less clear after he was excused from practice to attend the funeral of his mother- in-law. Anderson, who suffered rib cartilage damage last week, was limited to scout-team work Wednesday.

Although it appears likely Anderson will be healthy enough to play, how much he plays could be a game-time decision. There is a chance Tatum Bell could start ahead of Anderson.
It would make sense that Anderson would be active, but that the Broncos would let him rest this week. Against SD, that might be the safest option. This way he hopefully comes back strong in Week 3.
I'm beginning to wonder if Shanahan just doesn't like Bell. I have Anderson, and I recently added Dayne, believe it or not, just because of Shanahan's statement, "Tatum's done a pretty good job since he's been here". Pretty good coming from that guy is a death sentence. I think Anderson will hold the job, although I'm not starting him this week because of the uncertainty, but I actually think Tatum is on his way down the ladder, not up.

FWIW, I agree with Joe's gut feel. I strongly suspect that Anderson gets the start. I don't know if he's good for 20+ carries, but I definitely think he'll get at least 10-15, including all of the meaningful (read: goal line) ones.
That may be true, but is he worth a start here?1. He is banged up.

2. SD's 3-4 D shuts down the Broncos

3. Plummer will attack a suspect passing D.

All things considered, I say sit Anderson this week and ride him like a horse the rest of the year. Westbrook had the same type of injury a year back, and it took him 2 full games to get back into game shape.

Im an Anderson / Bell owner, and im starting TJ Housh in his place this week...
I've said elsewhere, but I fully expect the Denver running offense to struggle this week. I think next week is the PERFECT buy-low time to get the entire Denver backfield on the cheap. Two straight bad games, and owners will be starting to worry and getting ready to unload them for far less than they're really worth.Denver's rushing attack is still studly this year. They will not perform that way this week.

I just did a little research on another RB who had the same type injury. In 2003, Travis Henry suffered separated rib cartlige against Miami in week 3. He missed Week 4 (Philly), but had 20+ carries in week 5. A month later, he was still on injury reports with his ribs. This is a season that Henry went for over 1300 yards and 10+ TDs.Now, I consider Henry to be as tough as they come. Very high pain tolerance. Played with broken leg bones as well as these rib problems. I don't know as much about Mike Anderson, but everything that I have read about him indicates that he is at that level of pain tolerance. With this being the case, it would appear wise to back off Anderson this week but remain hopeful for the remainder of the season.

Found this on CBS:Mike Anderson, RB DENNews: Broncos RB Mike Anderson (ribs) has been upgraded to probable on the team's injury report. Analysis: It looks Anderson will start for the Broncos in Week 2 vs. San Diego. Monitor this situation between now and kickoff on Sunday.Guess he practiced today.

denver broncos

Bailey, Anderson a go for Sunday

By Bill Williamson

Denver Post Staff Writer

Though it appeared unlikely earlier in the week, injured Broncos Champ Bailey and Mike Anderson are both expected to play in Sunday's crucial AFC West game against San Diego, coach Mike Shanahan said today.

While Bailey's fortune began to turn Thursday, Anderson's chances of playing increased today after he took several snaps in practice. Anderson hurt his ribs in the second series of the Broncos 34-10 loss at Miami on Sunday and did not return. The running back was listed as questionable on the injury report.

"He looked good," Shanahan said. "He should be ready to go if there isn't any setbacks."

Bailey, meanwhile, continued his remarkable recovery today and Shanahan declared him ready to face the Chargers on Sunday at Invesco Field at Mile High. Bailey practiced at his left cornerback spot on Thursday and today.

"He's definitely full go," Shanahan said.

Bailey suffered a dislocated left shoulder on the first play of the second half at Miami. Bailey has never missed a game in his NFL career. His streak of 97 consecutive games is the longest current streak by a cornerback.

Link

Seems like he is playing. The question now becomes how much and how well.

The fact of the matter is this:1) I wouldn't take my chances with starting Anderson due to the nature of the injury. This guy's hurt and rib cartilage doesn't sound minor. At the ripe age of 31 he won't be able to take the full pounding of a full NFL season. Oh yeah, he turns 32 next week, lol. :thumbdown: 2) Tatum Bell is a bunch of talk and has never had the support of Shannie. His leash is getting shorter and shorter each week. Thank god for his worthless effort at the goalline last week. :thumbup: He's a bunch of talk.3) The Great Dayne got a ton of press and caught the attention of the coaching staff in the preseason. Those that drafted Anderson and left Bell for someone else may want to grab the Dayne because his time is coming soon. Dayne's still young and could easily carry the load for the Broncos this season with Bell being a scat back. Grab the Dayne because it happens every year in Denver. Hype the starter(s) and then grab the backup and eat popcorn! :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact of the matter is this:

1) I wouldn't take my chances with starting Anderson due to the nature of the injury. This guy's hurt and rib cartilage doesn't sound minor. At the ripe age of 32 he won't be able to take the full pounding of a full NFL season. Oh yeah, he turns 33 next week, lol. :thumbdown:

2) Tatum Bell is a bunch of talk and has never had the support of Shannie. His leash is getting shorter and shorter each week. Thank god for his worthless effort at the goalline last week. :thumbup: He's a bunch of talk.

3) The Great Dayne got a ton of press and caught the attention of the coaching staff in the preseason. Those that drafted Anderson and left Bell for someone else may want to grab the Dayne because his time is coming soon. Dayne's still young and could easily carry the load for the Broncos this season with Bell being a scat back. Grab the Dayne because it happens every year in Denver. Hype the starter(s) and then grab the backup and eat popcorn! :popcorn:
Dayne owner?

1) I wouldn't take my chances with starting Anderson due to the nature of the injury.  This guy's hurt and rib cartilage doesn't sound minor.  At the ripe age of 31 he won't be able to take the full pounding of a full NFL season.  Oh yeah, he turns 32 next week, lol. :thumbdown:

2) Tatum Bell is a bunch of talk and has never had the support of Shannie.  His leash is getting shorter and shorter each week.  Thank god for his worthless effort at the goalline last week.  :thumbup:    He's a bunch of talk.

3) The Great Dayne got a ton of press and caught the attention of the coaching staff in the preseason.  Those that drafted Anderson and left Bell for someone else may want to grab the Dayne because his time is coming soon.  Dayne's still young and could easily carry the load for the Broncos this season with Bell being a scat back.  Grab the Dayne because it happens every year in Denver.  Hype the starter(s) and then grab the backup and eat popcorn! :popcorn:
Dayne owner?
No sitting back and watching this garbage week in and week out from Bell and Anderson. Just a homer observing. :popcorn:

The fact of the matter is this:1) I wouldn't take my chances with starting Anderson due to the nature of the injury. This guy's hurt and rib cartilage doesn't sound minor. At the ripe age of 32 he won't be able to take the full pounding of a full NFL season. Oh yeah, he turns 33 next week, lol. :thumbdown:
Anderson is 31 and turns 32 next week: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187481He's 2 weeeks older than Priest Homes, and has a lot less wear on him:http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1645

I'll bank my money on a younger and TOUGHER Dayne (forget Bell). Oh, I forgot 4-5 yds is solid production for a starting tailback. :yucky:BTW, thanks for comparing him to Priest. How many games did Priest play last year. LOL :yawn:

1) I wouldn't take my chances with starting Anderson due to the nature of the injury. This guy's hurt and rib cartilage doesn't sound minor. At the ripe age of 31 he won't be able to take the full pounding of a full NFL season. Oh yeah, he turns 32 next week, lol. :thumbdown:

2) Tatum Bell is a bunch of talk and has never had the support of Shannie. His leash is getting shorter and shorter each week. Thank god for his worthless effort at the goalline last week. :thumbup: He's a bunch of talk.

3) The Great Dayne got a ton of press and caught the attention of the coaching staff in the preseason. Those that drafted Anderson and left Bell for someone else may want to grab the Dayne because his time is coming soon. Dayne's still young and could easily carry the load for the Broncos this season with Bell being a scat back. Grab the Dayne because it happens every year in Denver. Hype the starter(s) and then grab the backup and eat popcorn! :popcorn:
Dayne owner?
No sitting back and watching this garbage week in and week out from Bell and Anderson. Just a homer observing. :popcorn:
What garbage have you been watching week in and week out from Mike Anderson? By garbage, were you referring to him having what Gary Kubiak described as the offseason he has ever seen any NFL player at any position have ever? Or were you talking about those 4 bad carries against Miami?And Bell will be a scatback? Do you understand what makes a scatback a scatback? Because Bell doesn't have the skillset at all to be a scatback. He's not quick and shifty and elusive. He's just fast. Quentin Griffin was a scatback. Barry Sanders was a scatback. Tatum Bell and Clinton Portis aren't scatbacks. Not even close. Different style altogether.

Anderson owner who's not going to take a chance this week, and starting KJones and RJohnson.Glad to hear he's upgraded, but the chances of him aggravating the injury are too great.Guess Bell owners hoping for a start won't get their wish this week. :boxing:

Anderson owner who's not going to take a chance this week, and starting KJones and RJohnson.

Glad to hear he's upgraded, but the chances of him aggravating the injury are too great.

Guess Bell owners hoping for a start won't get their wish this week. :boxing:
Glad you've given your medical opinion, doctor.What I've heard from other doctors is this isn't the type of injury that gets aggravated. As long as Anderson can play through the pain, there's pretty much no chance of it becoming a recurring thing.

I still wouldn't start him this week, though.

I'm thinkin of gambling with Anderson if the reports Saturday and Sunday are positive as well. We start 1 RB, 1 WR, and 3 flex...i'd have to start MA over either Ward or LJ, prolly Ward. I lost Javon Walker and am not confident at all in Ward, a shark move, or too risky?

NFL Network's Total Access show also advised that Anderson will start barring any setback. They also advised he may wear a flackjacket.

Anderson owner who's not going to take a chance this week, and starting KJones and RJohnson.

Glad to hear he's upgraded, but the chances of him aggravating the injury are too great.

Guess Bell owners hoping for a start won't get their wish this week.  :boxing:
Glad you've given your medical opinion, doctor.What I've heard from other doctors is this isn't the type of injury that gets aggravated. As long as Anderson can play through the pain, there's pretty much no chance of it becoming a recurring thing.

I still wouldn't start him this week, though.
Glad you agree. :rolleyes: Point being, nobody can predict what Anderson's pain tolerance will be once he takes his first shot, and I'm not willing to take that chance. If anyone has a better option, they should take it.

I hope he doesn't make his injury worse by coming back too soon. Mewelde Moore and Michael Pittman are my other 2 potential options at RB2, so I kinda need him to stay healthy. Oh, the joys of being in a 14-team league where all the starting RBs are gone by the 30th pick.

I hope he doesn't make his injury worse by coming back too soon. Mewelde Moore and Michael Pittman are my other 2 potential options at RB2, so I kinda need him to stay healthy. Oh, the joys of being in a 14-team league where all the starting RBs are gone by the 30th pick.
One last time... from everything I've heard, Mike Anderson's injury is not the type that can be aggravated or made worse by returning too soon.

I hope he doesn't make his injury worse by coming back too soon.  Mewelde Moore and Michael Pittman are my other 2 potential options at RB2, so I kinda need him to stay healthy.  Oh, the joys of being in a 14-team league where all the starting RBs are gone by the 30th pick.
One last time... from everything I've heard, Mike Anderson's injury is not the type that can be aggravated or made worse by returning too soon.
You might be right, but I bet it hurts like hell when a 250 linebacker rams his head into his ribs. My money is on Tatum Bell to have the better week, whether starting or not.

You might be right, but I bet it hurts like hell when a 250 linebacker rams his head into his ribs. My money is on Tatum Bell to have the better week, whether starting or not.
I'm sure it hurts. I'm also betting against Denver's running game this week. I don't think anyone has a good game, regardless of who starts and how many carries they get.

I hope he doesn't make his injury worse by coming back too soon.  Mewelde Moore and Michael Pittman are my other 2 potential options at RB2, so I kinda need him to stay healthy.  Oh, the joys of being in a 14-team league where all the starting RBs are gone by the 30th pick.
Hi SSOG,Thanks for your insights. Can you be more specific please on exactly what you're hearing, who is saying it and where it's being said?

Thanks.

J

Anderson should be ready for Chargers

Associated Press

DENVER - Mike Anderson ran without pain Friday, showing little indication he had sore ribs as the Denver Broncos tuned up for Sunday's game against the San Diego Chargers.

"He had a lot of reps in practice today and looked pretty good out there," Denver coach Mike Shanahan said. "So unless there's a setback, he should be ready to go."

Anderson, who is listed as questionable for the game, had four carries for 5 yards before sustaining the rib injury last week in Miami

He practiced with the team Wednesday, but the sixth-year back missed Thursday's drills to attend a funeral before returning Friday.

Anderson wore a flak jacket-type protector to minimize further damage to his ribs. He wasn't available for questions following Friday's workout.

Shanahan said he did not think the injury would keep Anderson from going full speed.

Anderson missed the entire 2004 season due to two torn groin muscles in the team's fourth preseason game. He had an injury-free preseason after opting for intense rehabilitation over corrective surgery.

Link

Hi SSOG,Thanks for your insights. Can you be more specific please on exactly what you're hearing, who is saying it and where it's being said?

Thanks.

J
Not a problem.http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3024160

There's a good chance Anderson will test his injury against the Chargers. Anderson was told playing will not worsen his injury, but he will have pain. He said he already felt better Monday.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings.php?p=2893&cat=18
The macho culture of the NFL sometimes makes me look at injuries and shake my head unsympathetically. If Mike Anderson wore a simple, light flak jacket, he would be fine today rather than sore with every breath. Anyone who has had a rib injury can tell you that while the pain is usually not terrible, it’s constant, each breath a reminder. Anderson has actually separated the cartilage from the bone, which is just as painful as it sounds, but not serious if he can withstand that pain.
Edit: As an added note, Anderson *will* be playing this week with a simple, light flak jacket. Hang on a second and I'll find a link for that one, too.Edit#2: I was mistaken, the link said he practiced with one, not that he'd play with one. Still, if you'll permit me to speculate a little, I suspect he will, in fact, wear a flak jacket during the game. Call it a hunch. Here's the link

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/bron...4086653,00.html

Anderson wore a flak jacket-type protector to minimize further damage to his ribs. He wasn't available for questions following Friday's workout.

Shanahan said he did not think the injury would keep Anderson from going full speed.

ANY injury can be aggravated if it hasn't healed completely.

ANY injury can be aggravated if it hasn't healed completely.
Read the post right above yours.

One thing SSOG.. Do you think Den. has a problem with the 3-4 defense? Or is it just that San Diego has a good defense vs. the run... I was looking over last yrs numbers with Droughns, and saw that he had a field day with Oak. who i believe (correct me if i'm wrong) ran the 3-4 def. last year...

One thing SSOG.. Do you think Den. has a problem with the 3-4 defense? Or is it just that San Diego has a good defense vs. the run... I was looking over last yrs numbers with Droughns, and saw that he had a field day with Oak. who i believe (correct me if i'm wrong) ran the 3-4 def. last year...
Thanks for reminding me! I completely forgot that Oakland played a 3-4 last season.Still, outside of Oakland last season (d'oh!), Denver hasn't once in their last 2 seasons equaled their season average in yards, carries, or yards per carry against a 3-4 defense. Even this preseason, the Broncos got over 200 yards rushing and over 5 yards per carry against every team they faced... except for the Houston Texans who, if you take out a 40 yard scramble by their backup QB, they only rushed for 90 yards and about 3 yards a carry against.

Here, I went a lot more in detail about Denver's struggles against the 3-4 in this thread. Again, I forgot to include the Oakland numbers when discussing Denver's success against the 3-4 (mea culpa), but otherwise the points all still stand.

Thanks.

J
Not a problem.http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3024160

There's a good chance Anderson will test his injury against the Chargers. Anderson was told playing will not worsen his injury, but he will have pain. He said he already felt better Monday.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings.php?p=2893&cat=18
The macho culture of the NFL sometimes makes me look at injuries and shake my head unsympathetically. If Mike Anderson wore a simple, light flak jacket, he would be fine today rather than sore with every breath. Anyone who has had a rib injury can tell you that while the pain is usually not terrible, it’s constant, each breath a reminder. Anderson has actually separated the cartilage from the bone, which is just as painful as it sounds, but not serious if he can withstand that pain.
Edit: As an added note, Anderson *will* be playing this week with a simple, light flak jacket. Hang on a second and I'll find a link for that one, too.Edit#2: I was mistaken, the link said he practiced with one, not that he'd play with one. Still, if you'll permit me to speculate a little, I suspect he will, in fact, wear a flak jacket during the game. Call it a hunch. Here's the link

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/bron...4086653,00.html

Thanks SSOG. :thumbup: J

Thanks for reminding me! I completely forgot that Oakland played a 3-4 last season.Still, outside of Oakland last season (d'oh!), Denver hasn't once in their last 2 seasons equaled their season average in yards, carries, or yards per carry against a 3-4 defense. Even this preseason, the Broncos got over 200 yards rushing and over 5 yards per carry against every team they faced... except for the Houston Texans who, if you take out a 40 yard scramble by their backup QB, they only rushed for 90 yards and about 3 yards a carry against.

Here, I went a lot more in detail about Denver's struggles against the 3-4 in this thread. Again, I forgot to include the Oakland numbers when discussing Denver's success against the 3-4 (mea culpa), but otherwise the points all still stand.
Yeah i saw that thread, and the numbers make total sense. But, I was just wondering what the flaw was within Denver's scheme, that lead to their poor performance on the ground vs. the 3-4. So i looked through some of the numbers, and saw last year Droughns had 66 carries for 278yds and 2td's vs Oak. :eek: . Just trying to solve my dilemma this week in one of my league's. I have to chose between starting Thomas Jones vs. Det or Anderson. My gut is telling me to start Anderson who's at home, and I have a feeling will be running with something to prove after the debacle in miami last week. However the numbers don't lie.. :rolleyes:

If MA has not practiced by Friday, he will be inactive for the game and Bell will start with Dayne spelling him.
I'm gonna hold you to this dude. :scared:
feel free to.if MA does not practice during the week, he does not play in the game.
Hell, that's a given. Nothing magical about that.
absolutely - not rocket science there - no practice Friday, no play Sunday.But it is moot as Anderson reportedly practiced without restriction today.

but I think Bell is still the "starter."

Yeah i saw that thread, and the numbers make total sense. But, I was just wondering what the flaw was within Denver's scheme, that lead to their poor performance on the ground vs. the 3-4. So i looked through some of the numbers, and saw last year Droughns had 66 carries for 278yds and 2td's vs Oak. :eek: . Just trying to solve my dilemma this week in one of my league's. I have to chose between starting Thomas Jones vs. Det or Anderson. My gut is telling me to start Anderson who's at home, and I have a feeling will be running with something to prove after the debacle in miami last week. However the numbers don't lie.. :rolleyes:
I have to tell you... I like Thomas Jones over Anderson this week. And I've been the guy pimping Anderson all offseason, saying he's a top 10 RB for as long as he's healthy, saying that Denver is the second most RB-friendly offense on the face of the planet.I just really expect Denver to struggle running the ball this week. Call it an informed hunch.

absolutely - not rocket science there - no practice Friday, no play Sunday.

But it is moot as Anderson reportedly practiced without restriction today.

but I think Bell is still the "starter."
I don't know that it matters whether Bell starts in Denver or not. He will not be entrusted with the meaningful carries, and that includes goal line work. And since I don't see any Denver back getting much in the way of yardage, if they're going to have value this week, it's going to be from TDs.

Well I have decided to sit him and play R. Brown. Now all you other M. Anderson owners can start him in confidence and ejoy 150 total yds and a TD....that will be my luck! :wall:

I just really expect Denver to struggle running the ball this week. Call it an informed hunch.
Hi SSOG,Can you expand on that please? Do you really think SD is that tough? Did you see things in the Dallas game that are making you think that or something else?Thanks.J

Good points in this thread, SSOG. Only one comment, Denver destroyed SF (who runs a 3-4 D) on the ground this preseason. Anderson was a man amongst boys.I just wish the projections would take a stand and say either Bell or Anderson will be the man instead of copping out and giving each 50 yards rushing. I am glad "those in the know" are voicing their opinion in this thread.

I just really expect Denver to struggle running the ball this week. Call it an informed hunch.
Hi SSOG,Can you expand on that please? Do you really think SD is that tough? Did you see things in the Dallas game that are making you think that or something else?

Thanks.

J
He talked alot more about the reasoning behind his thoughts on that in this thread

I'm starting Larry Johnson and, gulp, TJ Duckett over Bell this week. Bell is a boom/bust pick this week. He could rush for over 100 yards versus SD, but I agree with SSOG and think the odds are in favor that SD will shut down the Broncos running game.

I'm starting Larry Johnson and, gulp, TJ Duckett over Bell this week.

Bell is a boom/bust pick this week. He could rush for over 100 yards versus SD, but I agree with SSOG and think the odds are in favor that SD will shut down the Broncos running game.
Is Bell starting? I thought Anderson is probable now and will be starting? How can Bell rush for over 100 yards vs. SD when Anderson's healthy? I don't think he'd do it even if he were starting...

Bell is a boom/bust pick this week.  He could rush for over 100 yards versus SD, but I agree with SSOG and think the odds are in favor that SD will shut down the Broncos running game.
Is Bell starting? I thought Anderson is probable now and will be starting? How can Bell rush for over 100 yards vs. SD when Anderson's healthy? I don't think he'd do it even if he were starting...
Trent Dilfer could throw for 6 TD's. I could sleep with Jessica Alba tonight. I'm with you in that the odds that T.Bell will do well versus SD isn't great.

I'm watching "Playbook" on the NFL network right now and they are talking about the Denver game and mentioned that Bell is going to get the opportunity to start that he has been waiting for. This may very well have been recorded a few days earlier, so take it for what its worth, but just wanted to mention it.

Bell is a boom/bust pick this week.  He could rush for over 100 yards versus SD, but I agree with SSOG and think the odds are in favor that SD will shut down the Broncos running game.
Trent Dilfer could throw for 6 TD's. I could sleep with Jessica Alba tonight. I'm with you in that the odds that T.Bell will do well versus SD isn't great.
I may start Dilfer over Pennington as my 2nd QB in a 2 QB league this week (behind Manning), so I hope he throws for 6 TD's against GB. However, I don't think you could sleep with Jessica Alba tonight, nor do I think Bell could rush for over 100 versus SD this week...

Dayne was working with the first team. Demotion for Bell and promotion for the Great One? Solid
With Anderson starting and practicing at full speed per the Blogger, and Dayne getting first team reps, Bell's fantasy value has to be way down from when he was on the cover of FF Index. I think Anderson has a solid hold on the starting spot if they start him while ailing...

Dayne was working with the first team.  Demotion for Bell and promotion for the Great One?  Solid
With Anderson starting and practicing at full speed per the Blogger, and Dayne getting first team reps, Bell's fantasy value has to be way down from when he was on the cover of FF Index. I think Anderson has a solid hold on the starting spot if they start him while ailing...
I would think:Anderson=starter

Dayne=Anderson's backup

Bell=third-down back

Sound about right?

I'm watching "Playbook" on the NFL network right now and they are talking about the Denver game and mentioned that Bell is going to get the opportunity to start that he has been waiting for. This may very well have been recorded a few days earlier, so take it for what its worth, but just wanted to mention it.
Anyone else have any light to shed on this? Was it recorded awhile ago or is this a change by Denver this morning.

Holy crapola!Anderson is starting.He is the starter for the season..Bell is fighting with Dayne for back-up..Whether Anderson stays healthy is the question. It looks like he's starting this weekend. That's a strong sign that he is THE starter. He is expected to play through minor injuries like ANY starter. A roster spot for Bell or Dayne expecting either to be "picked" over Anderson is silly. Unless he hurts himself (or has like 3 30 yards on 30 carries games...)

Users who are viewing this thread