What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Martz will make Josh McCown into a (1 Viewer)

Righetti

Footballguy
he has taken other QB's without a top pedigree and made them into fantasy studs..

McCown has had more NFL success than either Warner or Bulger before they got to Martz.. McCown will have good weapons, a vertical offense and an offensive coordinator who is arguably the best in the league..

McCown has proven to be able to put up great passing numbers in a pass-first offense. I just hope his arm can hold up-to 40 passes per game.

bring it on.. the first sleeper of 2006!!!!

he has taken other QB's without a top pedigree and made them into fantasy studs..

McCown has had more NFL success than either Warner or Bulger before they got to Martz.. McCown will have good weapons, a vertical offense and an offensive coordinator who is arguably the best in the league..

McCown has proven to be able to put up great passing numbers in a pass-first offense. I just hope his arm can hold up-to 40 passes per game.

Maybe, it'll be interesting, but my SOD of 2006 is Chester Taylor.

The Lions have agreed to a deal with free-agent quarterback Josh McCown, signaling the end of the Joey Harrington era in Detroit.

McCown agreed to a two-year, $6-million deal that includes a $2-million signing bonus with the understanding that he will compete head-to-head with Jon Kitna for the starting job.

The Lions gave Kitna a four-year, $11.5-million deal that includes a $3.5-million signing bonus Tuesday.

Neither deal has been announced by the team, because the contracts havent been signed.

Josh is thrilled, said McCowns agent, Mike McCartney. Its a great situation.

Harrington, whom the Lions drafted third overall in 2002, is expected to be traded or released by the weekend..
Detroit Free Press

maybe all of that would happen if jon kitna wasn't gonna win the starting job
if Kitna wins the starting spot.. i would expect him to be a fantasy star this year..I expect McCown to win it.. but if you tell me that Kitna will win it (and hold the job) then I would say that he has the potential to be a great option in fantasy for 2006 also.

Who are the good weapons McCown has to work with that will be better than Boldin/Fitz?
don't think I ever said that he had weapons better than Boldin and Fitz.. :confused:
So how is he going to improve on his average numbers he put up with Boldin and Fitz?Before the machine that was the Rams offense, the Denny Green coached Vikings were pretty good y'know. It's not like McCown is going from Marty Schottenheimer to Mike Martz.

Who are the good weapons McCown has to work with that will be better than Boldin/Fitz?
To be fair, he has a better RB in Detroit. A better TE in Detroit. And possibly a better OL in Detroit. Plus Martz, who has a good reputation of bringing out the best in QB.Not to mention Rogers and Roy have the potential to be as good as Boldin / Fitz.

And before you fire back, yes they do.

[so how is he going to improve on his average numbers he put up with Boldin and Fitz?

Before the machine that was the Rams offense, the Denny Green coached Vikings were pretty good y'know. It's not like McCown is going from Marty Schottenheimer to Mike Martz.
:confused: again2006

Against SF

32/46 with 385 yards passing a 2 TD's

againsst Carolina

29/46 for 398 yards passing and 2 TD's (3 INT)

against Tenn

12/28 for 140 yards passing and 1 TD (1 INT)

@ Dallas

16/33 for 161 yards passing and 1 TD (2 INT)

against Philly

27/38 for 294 yards pasing and 2 TD (1 INT)

@ Ind

31/42 for 297 yards passing and 1 TD (1 INT)

in 6 starts he had 9 TD's and 1676 yards

398 yards

385 yards

297 yards

294 yards

161 yards

140 yards

maybe you are :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention Rogers and Roy have the potential to be as good as Boldin / Fitz.

Roy, absolutely.Rogers, I think that ship may have sailed.

Righetti-I love your passion on it. But only time will tell here, Kitna expects to be the starter also. And I would say these two guys are damn near the same QB.So I hope you're right. But it may take a long time to prove it(preseason, into the regular season.

To be fair, he has a better RB in Detroit. A better TE in Detroit. And possibly a better OL in Detroit. Plus Martz, who has a good reputation of bringing out the best in QB.Not to mention Rogers and Roy have the potential to be as good as Boldin / Fitz.

williams, williams and rogers most definately have the potential to be as good as fitz, boldin and johnson. whoever wins the starting job is an excellent sleeper candidate in 06.

McCown has proven to be able to put up great passing numbers in a pass-first offense.  I just hope his arm can hold up-to 40 passes per game.

Righetti-I love your passion on it. But only time will tell here, Kitna expects to be the starter also. And I would say these two guys are damn near the same QB.So I hope you're right. But it may take a long time to prove it(preseason, into the regular season.
I think that whoever wins (and holds) the starting QB job in Detroit this year will be a fantasy star..I expect it to be McCown but if Kitna beats him out.. I expect Kitna to put up great #'s

Not to mention Rogers and Roy have the potential to be as good as Boldin / Fitz.

Roy, absolutely.Rogers, I think that ship may have sailed.
Most scouts and coaches will tell you Rogers has more natural talent and skill than Roy. However, his head is not in the game at all. Hopefully Marinelli can shape him up.

I'll preface this by saying I'm not predicting anything at this time.In trying to project McCown's performance in Detroit, it's not so much looking at weapons (either what he had in Arizona or what he will have in Detroit) as it is the COACHING he will have in Detroit:

Martz's "system" is only part of the equation when looking at why he's successfully developed qbs. He also has "tore down" and "rebuilt" every qb he's worked with as per stance, mechanics, and basic fundamentals. He starts every new qb he gets his hands on by teaching him how to line up under center (I'm not making this up).

So it's not just about Martz having some brilliant system that makes qbs look good: it's about the mechanics training that Martz also puts his qbs through.

The proof is in the pudding: look at what Martz has done. How can you deny that track record? There wasn't a one of those guys that was a "top" qb when Martz got his hands on them. They were ALL misfits, castoffs, rejects, grocery store clerks.

Users who are viewing this thread