What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Mularkey to the Dolphins (1 Viewer)

He's a good Coordinator. Good hire for the Dolphins who look like they are building a hell of a foundation.
Agree 100%.........Saban has this team going in the right direction heading into his second full season.

Does anyone actually think Mularkey was creative with Buffalo? Granted his QB situation was dreadful but right now he's looking at a somewhat similar situation with the Miami QBs. The guy did a good job in Pittsburgh but they didn't miss a beat with him gone. It will be interesting to see how he does following Linehan.

Does anyone actually think Mularkey was creative with Buffalo? Granted his QB situation was dreadful but right now he's looking at a somewhat similar situation with the Miami QBs.

The guy did a good job in Pittsburgh but they didn't miss a beat with him gone. It will be interesting to see how he does following Linehan.
How many times have we seen a decent coordinator go on to become a head coach and fail miserably........Some guys are just better suited to be assistants and that's what I'm hoping for in Mularkey............

Does anyone actually think Mularkey was creative with Buffalo? Granted his QB situation was dreadful but right now he's looking at a somewhat similar situation with the Miami QBs.
What Miami QBs? Gus's cap number is prohibitive, and there is no reason for him to stay now. Sage or Cleo may still be around next year, but it is more likely that there will be two new faces among Miami's three QBs.
The guy did a good job in Pittsburgh but they didn't miss a beat with him gone.
They went from Maddox to Ben. That's a big upgrade.

Does anyone actually think Mularkey was creative with Buffalo?  Granted his QB situation was dreadful but right now he's looking at a somewhat similar situation with the Miami QBs. 

The guy did a good job in Pittsburgh but they didn't miss a beat with him gone.  It will be interesting to see how he does following Linehan.
How many times have we seen a decent coordinator go on to become a head coach and fail miserably........Some guys are just better suited to be assistants and that's what I'm hoping for in Mularkey............
I agree with that. Yet, there's no denying his offense in Buffalo was a mess and that's his strongpoint.

Does anyone actually think Mularkey was creative with Buffalo?  Granted his QB situation was dreadful but right now he's looking at a somewhat similar situation with the Miami QBs.
What Miami QBs? Gus's cap number is prohibitive, and there is no reason for him to stay now. Sage or Cleo may still be around next year, but it is more likely that there will be two new faces among Miami's three QBs.
Anytime a team is productive with a rookie QB you can be very sure coaching was a big part of it.

Anytime a team is productive with a rookie QB you can be very sure coaching was a big part of it.
That's certainly true, but that doesn't really figure into this equation. It just shows that Cowher did a good job in replacing a good OC with another good OC (and QB coach).ETA: Let's put it this way -- we have seen Maddox in games these past two years. Did he impress you? How do you think the team would have done with a steady diet of him?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's certainly true, but that doesn't really figure into this equation. It just shows that Cowher did a good job in replacing a good OC with another good OC (and QB coach).ETA: Let's put it this way -- we have seen Maddox in games these past two years. Did he impress you? How do you think the team would have done with a steady diet of him?
His latest body of work is with Buffalo and he did not do well with three different QBs. He may very well do a good job in Miami but right now the current talent on the Miami O looks a lot like Buffalo's...good RB, good WRs, mediocre O line and suspect QB (McMichael is a big upgrade at TE). We'll just have to wait and see I guess...

His latest body of work is with Buffalo and he did not do well with three different QBs. He may very well do a good job in Miami but right now the current talent on the Miami O looks a lot like Buffalo's...good RB, good WRs, mediocre O line and suspect QB (McMichael is a big upgrade at TE). We'll just have to wait and see I guess...
He didnt do all that badly last year, but Bledsoe was far and away better than the talent he had at QB this year or the talent currently on the Miami roster (though, again, that talent will change). As my fellow Dolphins fan pointed out, he had more on his plate with the Bills as well.I agree that we'll have to wait and see. The way I see it, this is a test of Saban more than it is of Mularkey. We know Mularkey can be effective in this role -- it's a matter of whether Saban can get that out of him or not.

His latest body of work is with Buffalo and he did not do well with three different QBs.  He may very well do a good job in Miami but right now the current talent on the Miami O looks a lot like Buffalo's...good RB, good WRs, mediocre O line and suspect QB (McMichael is a big upgrade at TE).  We'll just have to wait and see I guess...
He didnt do all that badly last year, but Bledsoe was far and away better than the talent he had at QB this year or the talent currently on the Miami roster (though, again, that talent will change). As my fellow Dolphins fan pointed out, he had more on his plate with the Bills as well.I agree that we'll have to wait and see. The way I see it, this is a test of Saban more than it is of Mularkey. We know Mularkey can be effective in this role -- it's a matter of whether Saban can get that out of him or not.
We'll have to agree to disagree on last year because I thought the Buffalo offense in the second haf of the year was awful. The last game against the Pats I almost thought the Pats knew the plays before they were run. Overall in the second half McGahee was pretty ineffective, JP really wasn't developing and Moulds was so unhappy with his role he ended up causing trouble.On the flipside Saban obviously knows what he's doing so you have to give this hire the benefit of the doubt. In the end a lot will come down to who's behind center and right now that's a mystery.

Mularkey is a solid hire for Saban, no question about that. Considering the alternatives, it has to be considered a coup to land a well respected offensive mind with a similar style to Linehan [inside running, downfield passing] who also happens to have head coaching experience.

Those who follow the Bills...What kind of offense did Mularkey run? Run first?Pass to set up the run?Heavy running between tackles?Emphasis on speed getting to the outside?Short passing game?Long bombs?WCO or variations?What did he expect from his QB? strong arm? accuracy? deep outs? mobility?I'm just wondering what kind of scheme he employed, to see if it matches up with the Dolphins strengths, players they already have in place, etc. Might also give us a glimpse of what could happen in the draft.Thanks.

Mularkey was blessed with esp good linemen in Pitt. In Buffalo, they goofed and dismantled an effective line so 2005 was a rough year for them. As you know, Mike Williams hasn't been as good as advertised. IMO Mularkey relishes the chance to play the classic type of "we're running right here, try and stop us" smashmouth offense. I think the Fins need to upgrade their line to be able to play that.

any take on how this affects Ron Brown??if ricky goes away by way of a trade, what's the realistic expectation of Ronnie Brown's stats?

I'm a big phins fan and live outside of Buffalo. Bills fans are doing cartwheels that Mia. Hired him, even though he did little of the playcalling last year. At first I was against his hiring, but at this point Saban has done nothing to give me the impression that he is making a bad hire. Just have to trust the guy.

any take on how this affects Ron Brown??

if ricky goes away by way of a trade, what's the realistic expectation of Ronnie Brown's stats?
Obviously the Ricky situation is huge for Brown. Outside of that the Fins need to get their QB situation squared away as well as upgrading their line. If they don't do that I think you can look at McGahee's 2005 season and get a good idea about what will happen to Brown.

I'm a big phins fan and live outside of Buffalo. Bills fans are doing cartwheels that Mia. Hired him, even though he did little of the playcalling last year. At first I was against his hiring, but at this point Saban has done nothing to give me the impression that he is making a bad hire. Just have to trust the guy.
Mularkey is a great hire by Saban.In 2001, Mularkey's offense in Pittsburgh rated 7th in points scored and 3rd in total offense. In 2002, his offense rated 8th in points scored and 4th in total yards. The Steelers' rushing game was very strong in both of these seasons. Plus, in 2001, Mularkey coached Kordell Stewart to a Pro Bowl season, one in which Kordell threw for over 3,000 yards while completing 60% of his passes while also running for nearly 600 yards.

The 2003 season was an anomoly in the trend, as the Steelers had a rash of injuries along their offensive line. The Steelers ran for only 3.3 yards per rush as a team that season, and the offensive rankings dropped to 19th in points scored and 22nd in total yards.

Mularkey went to Buffalo and took over a team that ranked 31st in scoring and 29th in yards. In 2004, under Mike Mularkey, Buffalo improved to the 7th best scoring offense in the league while improving to 24th in yards. Those numbers fell off this past season with an overmatched rookie quarterback and the worst offensive line in the NFL.

good move by the dolphins -- i liked him whenever he was here with the steelers, a really innovative mind. With a decent foundation on offense (Chambers, Brown, McMichael), not to mention a very respectable 9-7 finish to the season -- i can really see the dolphins being a threat again in the afc east with a few acquistions on the line and an upgrade at the quarterback.

As a Bills fan, I think it was a good hire. Mularkey is a horrible play caller and game planner. Maybe he'll do better without the pressure of being the head coach, but I doubt it. Miami can look forward to a goal line offenses consisting of handoffs to the fullback and reverses.

As a Bills fan, I think it was a good hire. Mularkey is a horrible play caller and game planner. Maybe he'll do better without the pressure of being the head coach, but I doubt it. Miami can look forward to a goal line offenses consisting of handoffs to the fullback and reverses.
Like I said earlier in this thread,being an assistant and HC is not your ideal situation in today's game and it rarely has been pulled off unless your name is Bill Walsh.Mularkey was very creative in Pittsburgh and was thought of very well amongst his peers at the time.I think the added burden of being the HC was his downfall in Buffalo as is with most coaches who are good coordinaters who go on to become head coaches......

Users who are viewing this thread