What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Sellers (1 Viewer)

I doubt he'll have a repeat performance. When he was in the game, it was usually a signal they would run. They caught some teams off guard last year. There was a six-week stretch where he was making plays in the passing game, then some teams finally started covering him. He added a couple more in the last few weeks.

Code:
+----------+-------------+----+| WK  OPP  |  REC   YD   | TD |+----------+-------------+----+|  1  chi  |    0     0  |  0 ||  2  dal  |    0     0  |  0 ||  4  sea  |    1     4  |  1 ||  5  den  |    1     2  |  1 ||  6  kan  |    1     2  |  0 ||  7  sfo  |    2    21  |  2 ||  8  nyg  |    1     3  |  0 ||  9  phi  |    3    26  |  1 || 10  tam  |    1     7  |  1 || 11  oak  |    0     0  |  0 || 13  ram  |    0     0  |  0 || 14  ari  |    0     0  |  0 || 15  dal  |    1     3  |  1 || 16  nyg  |    0     0  |  0 || 17  phi  |    1     4  |  1 |+----------+-------------+----+|  TOTAL   |   12    72  |  8 |+----------+-------------+----+
With ARE and Lloyd added to the mix, and the desire to still showcase Moss and Cooley, there won't be much leftover for Sellers. Plus, I see Portis being a bigger part of the passing game with Saunders calling plays.

It's late in the draft, will you grab this 12 catch 7 TD TE/HB or gloss over the TDs?
For 2005, Sellers=Kyle Johnson. And, for 2006, I like Johnson better. With Mike Anderson gone from Denver, I like Johnson's outlook better.

Late in the draft, yes absolutely pick him up. He'll outperform his draft position by leaps and bounds. I used to own Zack Crockett, who routinely outperformed some of the "bigger names" on my roster.

It's the non-sexy, TD-vultures that can mean the difference between a championship and a good "on-paper" team. Who would you rather have... Mike Sellers who at least is ON THE FIELD, or a 5-carries-a-game reach like JJ Arrington, or wishing on an injury to a starter so you can finally start Maurice Morris (ex.)?

I doubt he'll have a repeat performance.  When he was in the game, it was usually a signal they would run.  They caught some teams off guard last year.  There was a six-week stretch where he was making plays in the passing game, then some teams finally started covering him.  He added a couple more in the last few weeks.

Code:
+----------+-------------+----+| WK  OPP  |  REC   YD   | TD |+----------+-------------+----+|  1  chi  |    0     0  |  0 ||  2  dal  |    0     0  |  0 ||  4  sea  |    1     4  |  1 ||  5  den  |    1     2  |  1 ||  6  kan  |    1     2  |  0 ||  7  sfo  |    2    21  |  2 ||  8  nyg  |    1     3  |  0 ||  9  phi  |    3    26  |  1 || 10  tam  |    1     7  |  1 || 11  oak  |    0     0  |  0 || 13  ram  |    0     0  |  0 || 14  ari  |    0     0  |  0 || 15  dal  |    1     3  |  1 || 16  nyg  |    0     0  |  0 || 17  phi  |    1     4  |  1 |+----------+-------------+----+|  TOTAL   |   12    72  |  8 |+----------+-------------+----+
With ARE and Lloyd added to the mix, and the desire to still showcase Moss and Cooley, there won't be much leftover for Sellers.  Plus, I see Portis being a bigger part of the passing game with Saunders calling plays.
He doesn't need much, as evidenced above. Not saying you're opinion is wrong or "off" but that's what makes him tricky. 12 catches over a season.

Last edited by a moderator:
He doesn't need much, as evidenced above. Not saying you're opinion is wrong or "off" but that's what makes him tricky. 12 catches over a season.
And almost all down near the goalline. As I said, teams started focusing on him and Cooley down at the goalline as the season progressed, leading to Portis having 6 TDs in the last 5 games. I was actually amazed that play kept working as long as it did.I'd put Sellers' TD o/u at 2.5. It was a dream season for him. I just don't see anything close happening again. I think the Redskins would have to push 35 passing TDs for Sellers to get 5.

And almost all down near the goalline. As I said, teams started focusing on him and Cooley down at the goalline as the season progressed, leading to Portis having 6 TDs in the last 5 games. I was actually amazed that play kept working as long as it did.I'd put Sellers' TD o/u at 2.5. It was a dream season for him. I just don't see anything close happening again. I think the Redskins would have to push 35 passing TDs for Sellers to get 5.
you could be right

Last year was a career year for him. You won't see that again. I'd expect 3-4 TD's from him with maybe 50-100 yards receiving, tops.

They may be totally dissimilar, as I was a lot younger when I saw him play, but his situation reminds me quite a bit of Butch Rolle for Buffalo back in the day. They had that one little play they'd run to him that teams just didnt cover for some reason, but once they did, he was back to obscurity

He was recently switched by MFL to being listed as a RB and not a TE anymore
That's Al Saunders' effect on the system. They're essentially dumping the H-back/TE distinction and going with FB's and TE's. I have yet to fully understand how much his role will actually change as a result though.

That's Al Saunders' effect on the system. They're essentially dumping the H-back/TE distinction and going with FB's and TE's. I have yet to fully understand how much his role will actually change as a result though.
I think they'll primarily move to a two TE set with Cooley being the motion TE. Cooley probably won't be lining up in the backfield too much anymore. Sellers will probably come in as the FB in short-yardage situations, so he could still get a few redzone TD catches.

Career-year for Sellers and all that aside...

The point I'm trying to make to the OP and all FBG's is: There will be steady, yet unspectacular RBs to be had late, late, late in drafts. Do not be afraid to go against conventional wisdom and draft a goalline vulture. Mike Sellers outscored ALOT of so-called studs last year who were drafted much, much higher. The value on "Mike Sellers-types" late in drafts is way too much to pass on, simply to satisfy your ego's desire to have a sexy, on-paper team. And don't worry if you whiff on the "fullback du jour" of this years draft. They can be had off waivers after a few weeks shake things out.

Results, man, results. It's all about cashing that check at the end of the year; not how you got there.

Career-year for Sellers and all that aside...

The point I'm trying to make to the OP and all FBG's is: There will be steady, yet unspectacular RBs to be had late, late, late in drafts. Do not be afraid to go against conventional wisdom and draft a goalline vulture. Mike Sellers outscored ALOT of so-called studs last year who were drafted much, much higher. The value on "Mike Sellers-types" late in drafts is way too much to pass on, simply to satisfy your ego's desire to have a sexy, on-paper team. And don't worry if you whiff on the "fullback du jour" of this years draft. They can be had off waivers after a few weeks shake things out.

Results, man, results. It's all about cashing that check at the end of the year; not how you got there.
I agree with you to not underestimate the TD vulture. However Sellers is a bit different. Sellers TD's last year were a fluke, I love him to death, he is a beast on special teams. Even if you spend a late late pick on him, your only going to get burned when you try to pick the week or two that he will end up scoring. He will get a TD or two this year, but it will only be 1 or 2 all year.

That's because last year in his fantasy league Al Saunders was very weak at RB. ;)

That's because last year in his fantasy league Al Saunders was very weak at RB. ;)
He probably did not use a 4th rounder on Larry Johnson ;)

Users who are viewing this thread