What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike williams to..... (1 Viewer)

He has had two freak breaks in his collarbone. Just like KJ slipping last year this is BPA. I don't think Mike will play TE but to say he automatically beats out Rogers is foolish too.

This is not the local view in Michigan. I heard lots of non-public reports from Lions staff that their medical personnel had recommended different surgical treatment for the first break out of fear of future re-injury and Rogers went against their wishes.

Not saying he's done, but this was being discussed locally preseason last year before the second break.

At this point, the pick makes great sense if you consider that what you want from your 1st round pick is a potential impact playmaker.

Which option makes more sense in regards to improving at the QB position? Starting over on the long program of developing a QB from scratch or giving Joey 1 last year to develop with weapons around him everywhere and if it doesn't work out having studs on offense that any smart Free Agent QB says I can go in and put up some great numbers in Motown.

Ok considering Mike Williams hasn't played an NFL down it is far from just being over.
I think Charles Rogers and Mike Williams will battle for the #2 spot, both are noticeably not the same quality target as Roy Williams is. Charles is a big question mark; injuries and the drafting of two first round wide receivers after him? Mike Williams I am not high on either; out of football for a year and his highlights clearly shows he 'lumbers' through his patterns. I don't think it was a big deal in college, but in the NFL he is really going to struggle to get seperation.

a) If you can't spell his ####### name right stop commenting on the situation. It is Charles Rogers. NO D IN ROGERS!b) Thank you all for your inside info. I now need a few more of these :banned: to make you sound smarter.

:lmao: @ Rogers career being over. He has been injured people. This was clearly BPA and a good pick on top of that. I don't think there will be enough balls to go around but Rogers career is hardly over.
There's plenty of concern over Roger's ability to stay healthy in Detroit. It's not just a fragile label either, there's specific concern about how the collar bone didn't heal last time. When you break the same bone twice in two years, it's not the normal injury concern.I think the pick clearly demonstrates the team's concern over it, too. Not sure how you can see it any other way, Rogers was solid when he was on the field so I don't think there's any concern over whether he can get it done if healthy.

We shall see though. Clearly the Lions would be happy if he came back strong as would I...just don't think this pick was a good signal.

Ok considering Mike Williams hasn't played an NFL down it is far from just being over.
I think Charles Rogers and Mike Williams will battle for the #2 spot, both are noticeably not the same quality target as Roy Williams is. Charles is a big question mark; injuries and the drafting of two first round wide receivers after him? Mike Williams I am not high on either; out of football for a year and his highlights clearly shows he 'lumbers' through his patterns. I don't think it was a big deal in college, but in the NFL he is really going to struggle to get seperation.
:goodposting:

This pick speaks volumes at how the Detroit brass think Rodgers is recovering and his ability to make it a full season in the NFL.
Agreed. I don't think Detroit is so stupid as to think Williams will play TE. So either they are going to move Williams. or they are really concerned about Rogers.The only other alternative is that they're complete idiots. Last year's draft was too impressive for me to think that though.

Why can't I say f r i c k i n g? Good stuff after my intial anger spurt. I just think it is unfair to say he is done. The pick may or may not speak volumes about the injury but I doubt he just is done because they pick BMW.

:lmao: @ Rogers career being over. He has been injured people. This was clearly BPA and a good pick on top of that. I don't think there will be enough balls to go around but Rogers career is hardly over.
Sure worked for Sylvestor Morris . . .

I'm of the opinion that this is a great pick... though I don't see him playing TE. I see it breaking down something like this: Crog and Roy outside, Williams in the slot (maybe TE) with pollard in at TE or 2TE and kj in the backfield. SICK!The Defensive coordinators are probably having headaches already... mismatches all over the field.#1 cb on roy.#2 cb on crogwho covers M. Williams? A nickel back is too small and I don't know if a lb can stay with him.Who covers pollard? same as williams.then you have kj coming out of the back field and you can't stack the boxbecause of the wr/te's freakish abilities.Plus it gives us depth at WR, which has been one our biggest holes the past few years.

:lmao:   @ Rogers career being over. He has been injured people. This was clearly BPA and a good pick on top of that. I don't think there will be enough balls to go around but Rogers career is hardly over.
and Kevin Dyson.

who covers M. Williams? A nickel back is too small and I don't know if a lb can stay with him.
The way he runs, I am fairly confidence the Vikings could cover him with "Fat" Pat Williams.

The Defensive coordinators are probably having headaches already... mismatches all over the field.
Yeah, like OT vs. DE, G vs. DT...How to stop the Lions? Blitz Joey. Game over.
Yeah, but with the extra set of hands on the field when he throws it straight up in the air while falling down we'll have a better chance of catching it... or at least knocking it away and preventing the INT :D

The Defensive coordinators are probably having headaches already... mismatches all over the field.
Yeah, but with the extra set of hands on the field when he throws it straight up in the air while falling down we'll have a better chance of catching it... or at least knocking it away and preventing the INT :D
There ya go! I like the optimism.

As you should know Sparty, if there's one thing us poor unfortunate Lions fans are good at, it's optimism.

who covers M. Williams? A nickel back is too small and I don't know if a lb can stay with him.
The way he runs, I am fairly confidence the Vikings could cover him with "Fat" Pat Williams.
Nice try but you'll have to do better than that. :fishing:

In fact that wasn't even a nice try. I officially retract my "nice try" and replace it with a big :thumbdown:

In fact that wasn't even a nice try. I officially retract my "nice try" and replace it with a big :thumbdown:
I don't think you are giving Pat Williams enough credit. He is very athletic for a big man. I think he matches up well with Mike Williams.

Why can't I say f r i c k i n g? Good stuff after my intial anger spurt. I just think it is unfair to say he is done. The pick may or may not speak volumes about the injury but I doubt he just is done because they pick BMW.
I think it's unfair to say Rogers is done as well. And you're dead on about this being BPA.With the speed/separation concerns, I think BMW could be deadly with a great WR opposite him. And Roy Williams is a complete stud.

In fact that wasn't even a nice try.  I officially retract my "nice try" and replace it with a big :thumbdown:
I don't think you are giving Pat Williams enough credit. He is very athletic for a big man. I think he matches up well with Mike Williams.
Okay that was a nice try. :lmao:

yeah the same optimism msu has against THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN

I wish nothing best for the Lions, as I am a huge Roy Williams fan and somewhat a Charles Rogers fan. I also like Mooch. I am not high on Mike Williams (well documented in Viking threads), but there is a good reason I am not an NFL GM, so thanks for not taking my snid comment to seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
In fact that wasn't even a nice try.  I officially retract my "nice try" and replace it with a big :thumbdown:
You better hope because Vikings fans are crazy if you think that Troy Williamson is anything close to Randy Moss. You traded one of the most talented WRs ever for an average OLB and Troy Williamson. That is not enoguh. The Vikings, and the rest of the NFC North should be worried

I wish nothing best for the Lions, as I am a huge Roy Williams fan and somewhat a Charles Rogers fan. I also like Mooch. I am not high on Mike Williams (well documented in Viking threads), but there is a good reason I am not an NFL GM, so thanks for not taking my snid comment to seriously.
If I wasn't laughing so darn hard I would be offended that you think me stoopid enough to consider your comment seriously. No worries I knew it was high comedy from the get go.though IMHO BMW will be the real deal. He has sick hands, will get the jump ball 99 out of 100 times, has a nose for the endzone and his route running is just fine especially when you consider who will be defending him with R.Williams, Rogers, Pollard and K.Jones all drawing attention. If Mark Rypien and Doug Williams could look like MVPs with Clark, Sanders and Monk then maybe even Harrington can bring it together with this supporting cast.

The pick by Williams, if you are reading between the Lions means Charles Rogers is either farther behind schedule than thought or they have no confidence in him.

The worst part ab out this is that on their jerseys, if they stayon detroit, they're going to say R. Williams and M. Williams.
Almost as bad as Roy and Randall Williams on the Cowboys.

The pick by Williams, if you are reading between the Lions means Charles Rogers is either farther behind schedule than thought or they have no confidence in him.
Certainly possible but it could also be a bpa situation. We'll find out soon enough.

:lmao:   @ Rogers career being over. He has been injured people. This was clearly BPA and a good pick on top of that. I don't think there will be enough balls to go around but Rogers career is hardly over.
and Kevin Dyson.
:rolleyes: Neither of those two have the talent of Rogers and both suffered knee injuries.

I am at a Lions draft party right now and everyone in the room was praying that BMW would drop to #10. When the pick was announced, everyone went absolutely crazy including me. Lots of cheering and high fives across the room. I think this is a GREAT pick. I hate Mel Kiper but agree with him that Mike Williams was the #1 overall player on the board. I think Rogers is going to be healthy which would give the Lions a SICK trio of wide receivers that will be a defensive assignment nightmare. Sure you can blitz Joey but in case you didn't notice, he hardly ever gets sacked. There is a reason for this since the Lions don't run many deep routes, opting instead for quick release plays. If Harrington can just improve his accuracy *cross fingers*, this offense could be lethal. Roy, Rogers, BMW, K.Jones....SICK SICK SICK!!!!! Sure there is a lot of money tied up in WR now, but all the top rated corners were gone and we really don't need Derrick Johnson. Trading down for Pollack was an option but maybe they couldn't find any takers. BMW was absolutely the best pick based on all the options. Only a trade down would have made more sense.And if Rogers doesn't show any promise this year, the big money for his 6 year deal starts to kick in next year. So the Lion's front office would be able to make an informed decision on whether or not to part ways with him, and still have Mike Williams and Roy Williams on the roster.Awesome pick. Now lets get a QB in the 2nd.....Adrian McPherson perhaps....

I'm with you here. Maybe it's not a lack of confidence in the player, but his body.I think they'll consider packaging Rogers up and shipping him off to address needs not met by the draft.

I honestly wish the Vikings would have taken Williams, and wonder what they saw or didn't see in him.

I'm of the opinion that this is a great pick... though I don't see him playing TE. I see it breaking down something like this: Crog and Roy outside, Williams in the slot (maybe TE) with pollard in at TE or 2TE and kj in the backfield. SICK!

#1 cb on roy.

#2 cb on crog

Who covers pollard? same as williams.

then you have kj coming out of the back field and you can't stack the boxbecause of the wr/te's freakish abilities.

Plus it gives us depth at WR, which has been one our biggest holes the past few years.
Excellent post Fanboy, I thinkyou are right on. The offense will be sick, and there shouldn't be any drop off if Rogers or R.Williams is injured! Who benefites the most? Kevin Jones :thumbup: RW

Can you say POTENT offense ??These 3 WRs give Joey Harrington NO EXCUSE.Throw in Pollard in the middle and KJ in the backfield and what you have is a really special offense. Rogers will be fine, the club KNOWS what he can do. I agree he had 2 bad injuries, but so did Fred Taylor and he's still a stud.

I'm of the opinion that this is a great pick... though I don't see him playing TE.  I see it breaking down something like this:  Crog and Roy outside, Williams in the slot (maybe TE) with pollard in at TE or 2TE and kj in the backfield. SICK!

#1 cb on roy.

#2 cb on crog

Who covers pollard? same as williams.

then you have kj coming out of the back field and you can't stack the boxbecause of the wr/te's freakish abilities.

Plus it gives us depth at WR, which has been one our biggest holes the past few years.
Excellent post Fanboy, I thinkyou are right on. The offense will be sick, and there shouldn't be any drop off if Rogers or R.Williams is injured! Who benefites the most? Kevin Jones :thumbup: RW
Now, if they can just find a QB to throw the ball effectively.....

Just doesn't make sense for the Kevin Johnson signing this week. I know it is really depth at that signing, but wow what a core for the time being.

I think trade to SD is the route though.
Kevin Johnson was signed to play the slot, and Hakim was gone June 1. They didn't expect Mike Williams to slide so far. Definately a BPA pick, and a good one. I'm having flashbacks of the ole Silver Stretch :D
Remember, they just signed Kevin Johnson. I think this BPA stuff has gone too far, LOL. He'd be an interesting TE project with Detroit, though. Anybody think that's going to happen?
I really think all the TE talk was a smokescreen started wisely by Millen. Worked like a charm. :thumbup: RW

It's almost comical how quickly you guys have given up on Charles Rogers. He was very good before both of his injuries and has put on 15lbs of muscle since last season. Comming out of school Charles was rated higher than Roy and AJ. With both Roy and BMW I don't think he will ever have to go across the middle ever again. He is going to make some very big plays this year.

All 4 points I came in here intending to make have already been made by some of you.1) Rogers has recovered, and he has packed on several pounds of muscle.2) The Lions simply took a player who presented great value at 1.10.3) Every defensive coordinator in the NFC North will not be getting much sleep.4) Harrington has run out of excuses.I love the pick for the Kitties. :thumbup:

All 4 points I came in here intending to make have already been made by some of you.

1) Rogers has recovered, and he has packed on several pounds of muscle.

2) The Lions simply took a player who presented great value at 1.10.

3) Every defensive coordinator in the NFC North will not be getting much sleep.

4) Harrington has run out of excuses.

I love the pick for the Kitties. :thumbup:
:goodposting:

I like the pick too. What offensive coordinator wouldn't want these three WRs on his team? All three have the physical skills necessary to abuse most #1 corners. Put a #3 corner on them and it becomes a total joke. Detroit has been cleaning house in drafts lately. I like where they're headed.

All 4 points I came in here intending to make have already been made by some of you.

:goodposting: The Rogers naysayers are cracking me up. To suggest drafing MW is in anyway a comment on Rogers recovery is idiotic. He's fine...and he'll be fine. You don't pass up on a talent like WIlliams when he falls to you. They will be fun to watch for the next few years.

:goodposting: A voice of reason. With the trio of the two Williams and Rogers, the offense has to succeed or Harrington is gone and Garcia is in.

The NFC North is now within reach of the Lions. I'm not saying they will win as they still may be a year away, but they are close and should challenge this year. I see it as a three way race with the Packers and Vikings that comes down to the last two weeks.

:goodposting: The Rogers naysayers are cracking me up. To suggest drafing MW is in anyway a comment on Rogers recovery is idiotic. He's fine...and he'll be fine. You don't pass up on a talent like WIlliams when he falls to you. They will be fun to watch for the next few years.
Yep. They drafted arguably the best WRs in the last three drafts. That's sick.

It's the Kansas City and Indianapolis plan.

We can't be thinking just about making the playoffs. I want at least one win - KC hasn't done that. Indy gets schooled by NE each year.

----------------------

I'd take Indy's success in a heartbeat. There's similarities. Midwestern team that plays indoors. Poor past management and losses and now...

Lots of wins. Consistent playoff appearances. Lots of energy and hope all season long in the city. An improving aggressive young D that gives a great O a chance to advance in the playoffs.

Don't write the obituary on the Indy plan just yet. The Bad Boys struggled to get through the Celtics & Lakers before winning. Jordan couldn't get through the Bad Boys at first. NE has beaten lots of people the last 4 years.

If Mickleson can win a major, maybe even Peyton will someday finally win a big game.

Pollard is excellent at the goalline. Other than that, he's quite regular at 3-500 yards per year. He's probably played 10 years so he's "getting up there" in age/hits too.He and Ken Dilger have been somewhat similar IMO except for the TDs.Dilger left Indy after a 300 yard year, I think Pollard just had 300(despite being part of one of the best passing O's ever)and he's gone. I'm thinking you guys are filling a hole with Pollard, not getting a stud like some have made it seem. He's a veteran, he's not Tony G.

Pollard is excellent at the goalline. Other than that, he's quite regular at 3-500 yards per year. He's probably played 10 years so he's "getting up there" in age/hits too.

He and Ken Dilger have been somewhat similar IMO except for the TDs.

Dilger left Indy after a 300 yard year, I think Pollard just had 300(despite being part of one of the best passing O's ever)and he's gone.

I'm thinking you guys are filling a hole with Pollard, not getting a stud like some have made it seem. He's a veteran, he's not Tony G.
Yeah, it sucks that Tampa grabbed Alex Smith one pick before the Lions in the 3rd.My opinion on MW:

Great pick. I love seeing the Lions going BPA instead of drafting for need. I don't think this has anything to do with Rogers' health. The collarbone injuries were freak things. The break was not in the same place each time, so it's not like he "re-broke" it or anything. Offense is looking real nice. Two burners on the outside and MW working the middle. Pollard will be serviceable for a year or so, and the O-Line is looking to be improved. I can see the playoffs as a real possibility this year, and they can really concentrate on the Defense during next offseason.

Who cares... Joey is a HORRIBLE QB. It's more with leadership then anything else... he looks like the kid who goes to the edge of the slide and then climbs back down cause he has no guts... You don't give the guy more tools if he can't use the ones he has... he's not a leader, he's not a good QB... Mike Williams isn't going to help.

Who cares... Joey is a HORRIBLE QB. It's more with leadership then anything else... he looks like the kid who goes to the edge of the slide and then climbs back down cause he has no guts... You don't give the guy more tools if he can't use the ones he has... he's not a leader, he's not a good QB... Mike Williams isn't going to help.
They didn't sign Jeff Garcia to hold a clip board as my Lions friend says.

All of this talk about Rogers being done is hogwash. Hyperbole at it's finest. I implore everyone from every extreme edge of this conversation to put the keyboard down, take two steps back and take a deep breath. The Lions drafted BPA. Rogers may or may not be fine. To say you know otherwise is speculation.Williams can't separate in the pros? Who do we know? He's not played a single down yet. If he ends up playing inside I like his chances of separating against most nickel backs and most safeties, too.Joey has no excuses. Either he shoots up the fantasy rankings in '05 or Jeff Garcia takes over. If both QBs bust then welcome to the world of being a Lions fan. :banned: If all three WRs and Kevin Jones stay healthy the Lions offense should be among the best in the NFC if not the NFL. That's not something we can take for granted though and Mooch also needs to let the reigns loose a little bit.All in all it's a good day for the Lions and I like the pick a lot. I've said all along if Edwards or Williams fell there's no way in helios the Lions pass on them.I'm satisfied with all three of their picks so far. Cody is a value and so is Stanley Wilson.

Little love from a Viking fan...

In 1998, I was completely crushed when the Vikings took Randy Moss. I thought we were on the verge of a championship, we just needed some defensive help. When Green rushed up to the podium to select Moss, I was in agony. What was he thinking? We already had Jake Reed and Cris Carter; two wide recievers at the top of their game bringing in 1,000 yard seasons year after year.

It really worked out well for Minnesota, so there should be hope in Detroit. Minnesota was a little different as we only need Moss to run the '9' in 1998 and we had very veteran club already (cunningham, johnson, the offensive line and both wide receivers).

Good luck Detroit!

Users who are viewing this thread