What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minor vs Brown (1 Viewer)

As far as Chris Brown. He aint no Eddie George. I am more worried about him being able to handle a heavy load than I am about Minor who actualy knows how to dodge being hammered.

the 1 slight difference is that miami is a running team and tenn is a passing team.
Don't know why you keep saying Tenn is a passing team, they are not. They can pass the ball but they split their plays 50-50 between the run and the pass last year and the prior two years. That's a balanced team, not a passing team.2003497 passing attempts485 rushing attempts2002 500 passing attempts511 rushing attempts2001457 passing attempts469 rushing attempts

the 1 slight difference is that miami is a running team and tenn is a passing team.
Don't know why you keep saying Tenn is a passing team, they are not. They can pass the ball but they split their plays 50-50 between the run and the pass last year and the prior two years. That's a balanced team, not a passing team.2003497 passing attempts485 rushing attempts2002 500 passing attempts511 rushing attempts2001457 passing attempts469 rushing attempts
they passed more than they ran last year, making them a passing team. and when they ran, they suckedhow many times did miami run last year?

they passed more than they ran last year, making them a passing team. and when they ran, they suckedhow many times did miami run last year?
Miami ran it 483 times (2 less than Titans last year) vs 450 passes. Just because the Titans had 10 more passes than runs doesnt' make them a passing team. On a % basis they were 50-50 and have been for the past 3 years. They have been consistent and haven't changed their run-pass philosophy as some have suggested on the board.

Miami ran it 483 times (2 less than Titans last year) vs 450 passes. Just because the Titans had 10 more passes than runs doesnt' make them a passing team. On a % basis they were 50-50 and have been for the past 3 years. They have been consistent and haven't changed their run-pass philosophy as some have suggested on the board.
exactly.but you are taking the plays out of context. who cares how many times they called a run or pass? i dont, whats the style of thier offense in tenn? exactly. they air it out and once they get leads they run. tenn will tank this year, and when they do, bye bye brownand how successful were they when they ran the ball? 26th in rushing. whoo hooo!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do completely get the point that you are trying to make, and think it has some merit. However, if you could pick Brown or Minor, who would you take?
I'm not trying to say Minor will light the world on fire, but he did have a ypc that was higher than RW's was in the same system--just like Brown did in Tennessee.

You asked me would I take Brown over Minor . . . I would and I wouldn't. If the choice was Brown in the 4th or Minor in the 10th, I'd take Minor.

I'm not looking to be the poster boy for the Travis Minor Fan Club, but I have been pretty outspoken in supporting Brown and pretty outspoken about bashing Minor, but after reviewing their situations I think that my love for one and distain for the other may not be fully warrented.
Are you people saying that Minor would last into the 7th-10th round if he is the starter? :confused: In my RB hungry leagues he wouldn't make it out of the 5th.My guess if he starts...Brown in the 4th and minor in the 5th

baby arm

HAHAHAHA!!!!!

I need to get into a league where someone takes Travis Minor over guys like A Johnson, Moulds, Chambers, D Jackson, or some of the other solid WR's that could be around in the 5th round. I'd say that more than half the teams in the league have more talented back-up RB's than Travis Minor.

Off the top of my head:

A Smith

L Jordan

S Jackson

M Morris

Davenport

J Jones

Buckhalter

O Smith

T Bell

A Thomas

T Hollings

McGahee

W Green

A Pinner

G Jones

C Perry

K Faulk

Dunn/Duckett....whoever's the back-up

He's mediocre at best.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!I need to get into a league where someone takes Travis Minor over guys like A Johnson, Moulds, Chambers, D Jackson, or some of the other solid WR's that could be around in the 5th round. I'd say that more than half the teams in the league have more talented back-up RB's than Travis Minor.
Whatever. If you really can't imagine a person drafting in mid-August and taking Travis at RB in the 5th, you need to re-examine your ability to prognmosticate FF.In a 1/2/2, if I go RB in the first , and then 2 WRs and a QB the next three rounds, I might very well take Minor in the fifth at RB2.

That's because they signed Smith. The Dolphins are doing the same thing with Mack/Stewart/Terry Kirby(LOL). I don't see the difference.
Yes but this is all that there is out there! You can't tell me if a decent RB was out there Mia. wouldn't be all over him right now. Tenn needed an experienced player to provide savy and leadership in a young back field. Maybe spell and provide situationally. However, Brown will still be the main guy in Tenn. (though this seems to be the hot topic of late). Minor is just the lesser of 2 evils at this point. Tenn still choose Brown over George and Mia did not choose Minor over Ricky, he walk out on them. I see this as a very big difference.
I would have choose Smith over George at this point in his career with the money he wants.

What I find funny is people act like Brown was a 1st round pick and the choosen savior of Tennesee simply because of what Eddie George has done in the past. Brown is no Eddie George and was picked in the 3rd round same as Minor (in a much weaker draft too IMO). Yet he has been blessed with the talent to do it all. LOL. Minor has a great skill set, work ethic, and character. I have seen nothing to suggest that Brown doesn't but to simply write off Minor and say Brown is better is off kiel. I am biased in the fact that I don't like Chris Brown but I have never argued with the opportunity he has presented before him and the value he does hold for some. IMO I think Minor can be a better back and produce at a good level if you want to take the risk on him.

What I find funny is people act like Brown was a 1st round pick and the choosen savior of Tennesee simply because
Re: Brown, I love him b/c I watched him run for several years out here in Buffalo land. IIRC the guy set some big-12 rushing records and had a couple of extremely lofty rushing seasons in an NCAA division that has good rush defenses. Plus, he demonstrated that he can translate that ability into NFL production if he stays healthy. He looked great in the playoffs - explosive and powerful.Minor has never demonstrated that he can carry the load for 300 carries, 40 catches at any point in his college or NFL career, but Brown has. I like Minor's skill set, too, and his work ethic, but I believe Brown's talents translate into the every down back role more than Minor's do and Brown has demonstrated an ability to handle a heavy rushing load over long periods of time, while Minor has not.I believe Brown is "more" ready to be starter at RB but I have high hopes for Minor to (sorry Joe) step up.

Since all we have is speculation at this point . . .From this week's Sporting News:

After releasing RB Eddie George, the team signed Antowain Smith, who will battle Chris Brown for the starting job. More than likely, both will play a great deal. Brown is quicker and hits the hole faster. He has an edge becasue he has been in the system a year. Smith is a power runner in the mold of George. Smith, 32, is older than George, 30, but Smith has taken a lot fewer hits--he has 1,252 fewer carries than George--and is in good shape. Smith also won two Super Bowl titles with the Patriots.
I think that's the first time Smith has EVER been described as being in good shape.

Minor has never demonstrated that he can carry the load for 300 carries, 40 catches at any point in his college or NFL career, but Brown has.
Nor has Brown.
Thank you... not too mention Brown's durability or should I say lack there of.
Brown racked up 1744 yards in his last year in college - third best in the country - are you two ACTUALLY saying that he has not demonstrated he can take a full time RB role?I never disputed he has durability issues, but he has demonstrated three-down and 25+ carry-a-game ability while Minor has not.Brown's ability translates into 300 carries. Minor has NEVER, in his entire career, been asked to produce a similar type of work load.

Lots of paralysis through analysis in this thread...too many numbers and scenarios that don't really apply.Have you watched him? And what say you, then?I think Minor can run.

Didn't we say a similar thing about Moe williams last year when talking about Bennett and SOD. Meanwhile, Moe was the man for the better 1/2 of the season.Minor as Moe Williams this year would not surprise me at all.

Am I the only one it seems a bit strange to that Mia would have rather ran the legs off of Ricky than seriously spell him with Minor? I mean if the guy is as good as most make it seem would you not think he would get at least a little more time in the games. Especially seeing that Ricky's work load was ENORMOUS.

Am I the only one it seems a bit strange to that Mia would have rather ran the legs off of Ricky than seriously spell him with Minor? I mean if the guy is as good as most make it seem would you not think he would get at least a little more time in the games. Especially seeing that Ricky's work load was ENORMOUS.
I had trouble reading all that.Have you tried commas?

I had trouble reading all that.Have you tried commas?
I have trouble taking punctuation and spelling seriously when I'm at work with more important things on my mind I'm afraid. Thanks for the help though. :rolleyes:

Thats why I bolded the part where the GM says that Wanny likes a big back who punishes the defender and finsihes thier runs hard. Minor can run inside or out but he does not do this. Unfortunitly last year Ricky had started to spin down and not forward because of the pain continual impact was causing him. Yes I think it's strange to work a player so much they begin to noticably play differently than they have before. And to not then adjust your game plan because of that. To take care of your players.

Thats why I bolded the part where the GM says that Wanny likes a big back who punishes the defender and finsihes thier runs hard. Minor can run inside or out but he does not do this. Unfortunitly last year Ricky had started to spin down and not forward because of the pain continual impact was causing him. Yes I think it's strange to work a player so much they begin to noticably play differently than they have before. And to not then adjust your game plan because of that. To take care of your players.
:goodposting:I was just about to say all these things. I also thought it was unusual that Wannie didn't spell Ricky more often as the year drew on and it was clear piunding Ricky wasn't working and was taking its toll, but that's Wannie - he's a crappy coach.

Am I the only one it seems a bit strange to that Mia would have rather ran the legs off of Ricky than seriously spell him with Minor?  I mean if the guy is as good as most make it seem would you not think he would get at least a little more time in the games.  Especially seeing that Ricky's work load was ENORMOUS.
:goodposting:I was just about to say all these things. I also thought it was unusual that Wannie didn't spell Ricky more often as the year drew on and it was clear piunding Ricky wasn't working and was taking its toll, but that's Wannie - he's a crappy coach.
I will agree that Wanny is terrible and could just flat out screw whatever hope Miami has left.

I guess the big difference of the two, is Minor stats are probably lowering the stats mixed in with Ricky Williams at the prime in his career, while Chris Brown was actually improving the stats, while sharing carrys with Eddie George in the twilight of his career.
:thumbup:

if both were takien in the same round/same pick (say 3.5 in a twelve team league) the team who chose Minor would probably miss the playoffs.

Ok this tred was done in July. Now the Preseaon games are 3 deep every one is going to say Brwon is the better pick. Even the guys that started the topic. Nice why to bring up a old post to rub it in someones face.... :brush: :lol:

Ok this tred was done in July. Now the Preseaon games are 3 deep every one is going to say Brwon is the better pick. Even the guys that started the topic. Nice why to bring up a old post to rub it in someones face.... :brush: :lol:
I wish I would have seen this topic when it was started.They guy that said that the situation made Brown better is correct. McNair vs. Feeley or Fiedler, the better offense usually creates better stats for the RB.

Why is Tenn not calling 15 teams in the league about their RB like the Dolphins are?

Both MIA and TEN lost their starting RB from last season. One team is scrambling, one team signed a vet who hasnt passed his team conditioning test for 3 years.

JAA
Bad comparison.Is it hard to blame the fins for scrambling the way this went down? Minor has played well in spot duty, but any team is going to want options unless they have a proven talent.

Titans tried to keep George. I guess you could make the argument that if they were sooo comfortable with Brown they would have just cut George before he collected his $1mill bonus last spring. Maybe it was loyalty to George, so then why sign A. Smith at all if they were sooo confident in Brown?
Maybe it was loyalty to George, so then why sign A. Smith at all if they were sooo confident in Brown?
Yes, in fact they were and in 1 word: Insurance...

And the pro-Travis Minor posters are hiding in their closets after Chris Brown just trucked through Roy Williams. :ph34r:

Chris Brown is talented, Travis Minor is not. The End
Simplistic, uninformed statement. Minor has as much ability as Brown, maybe more.Yudkin is right. The only difference was perceived opportunity, with Williams (until his retirement) entrenched while with George there was a lot of speculation as to his leaving. Now the opportunity is, at least for now, equal.In addition, for those who consider draft status, Minor was the 85th overall pick in his draft class (3rd round) while Brown was the 93rd overall pick in his class (3rd round). Essentially no difference there.I'm guessing you were also a naysayer concerning Dom Davis, Stephen Davis, Terrell Davis, Priest Holmes, etc. before they proved their worth.To write off players before they have proven they can't do it is a great way to miss out on value players. Just run away and let someone else have them.
It's always nice to trip down memory lane.

No difference, IMO.Unless the Phins make a trade, Antwain Smith is far better and more likely to steal carries from Brown than anyone the Phins can bring in.I actually think there's a chance Minor will grab the job and run with it. His size seems to be the only question mark. He should know the playbook in and out by now.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

HAHAHAHA!!!!!

I need to get into a league where someone takes Travis Minor over guys like A Johnson, Moulds, Chambers, D Jackson, or some of the other solid WR's that could be around in the 5th round. I'd say that more than half the teams in the league have more talented back-up RB's than Travis Minor.
Whatever. If you really can't imagine a person drafting in mid-August and taking Travis at RB in the 5th, you need to re-examine your ability to prognmosticate FF.In a 1/2/2, if I go RB in the first , and then 2 WRs and a QB the next three rounds, I might very well take Minor in the fifth at RB2.
Sorry...I couldn't help myself.BUMP!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHA!!!!!

I need to get into a league where someone takes Travis Minor over guys like A Johnson, Moulds, Chambers, D Jackson, or some of the other solid WR's that could be around in the 5th round.  I'd say that more than half the teams in the league have more talented back-up RB's than Travis Minor.
Sorry...I couldn't help myself.BUMP!!!!!!!
Gee. Let me sign up at footballguys.com so I can get insight from their "experts" explaining why Travis Minor could be a good 5th round pick and touts him as a #2 RB.At no point last season should Travis Minor been considered a #2 RB and certaintly not worthy of a 5th RD pick.

This is too funny. :yes:

For starters, this was from July right after Williams called it a day and IIRC before Boston went down for the season. To say that the Miami situation was unsettled would be an understatement.

Wow, Bucko. You actually found a prediction someone made last year that wasn't as accurate as your 20/20 hindsight? I'm absolutely amazed! It's a great reason to mock the idea of signing up for Footballguys.com membership too, because obviously they must have nothing more to offer other than Travis Minor-like predictions. Smart man.I think that digging up 13 month old threads just for the purpose of putting someone down is pathetic.

Eddie George left town and now the #2 guy (Chris Brown) is going to come in and do gangbusters (according to some)--even with a veteran brought in to potentially take touches away.

Ricky Williams retires and now the #2 guy (Travis Minor) is going to come in and bomb (according to some)--even though another RB has not been brought in (at least for now).

The Titans had a 3.3 ypc, 1623 rushing yards, and 11 rushing TD in 2003.

The Titans had a 3.8 ypc, 1952 rushing yards, and 16 rushing TD in 2002.

That averages out to 3.6 ypc, 1788 rushing yards, and 13.5 TD.

The Dolphins had a 3.7 ypc and 14 rushing TD in 2003.

The Dolphins had a 4.7 ypc and 24 rushing TD in 2002.

That averages out to 4.2 ypc, 2160 rushing yards, and 18 rushing TD.

Just thinking out loud here, but doesn't this seem odd that the unproven guy on the team with BETTER stats is the one being dubbed incapable, yet the unproven guy from the team with LOWER stats is the one getting hyped?
assinine "logic".... the personnel from the 2002 Dolphins is no longer there (not just Ricky but the practically the whole O-Line) :boxing:

For starters, this was from July right after Williams called it a day and IIRC before Boston went down for the season. To say that the Miami situation was unsettled would be an understatement.
And to say Travis Minor was worth a 5th RD pick and could be used as a #2 RB is ridiculous no matter when it was made.Even if Minor was the clear #1. The Miami situation was a horrible spot for any RB to have to play in. Especially a guy who got thrown into the starting spot out of the blue after being a back-up his entire career.

Wow, Bucko.  You actually found a prediction someone made last year that wasn't as accurate as your 20/20 hindsight?  I'm absolutely amazed!  It's a great reason to mock the idea of signing up for Footballguys.com membership too, because obviously they must have nothing more to offer other than Travis Minor-like predictions.

Smart man.

I think that digging up 13 month old threads just for the purpose of putting someone down is pathetic.
I am smart, that's why I don't pay for fantasy football info.And bty, I didn't dig up the thread, someone else did.

And uh, oh yea, taking Minor in the 5th and expecting him to be your #2 RB is what is really pathetic. :P

When you tout yourself as the premier Fantasy Football info site I don't think it helps your case when you make comments about Travis Minor like this.

This place rakes in plenty of money from the people who subscribe to their services. If I want to laugh at how ridiculous one of the employees comments are here than I have every right to.

One more thing, it's not called 20/20 hindsight when you knew it all along. But I'm not really trying to debate that because there's no way either of us could prove it.

Should Kevan Barlow be a top 10 pick again this year? :thumbdown:

There's another guy who was in a horrendous situation and yet the fantasy experts weren't able to realize everything around him absolutly blew.

No QB, no WRs, poor O-line and an overated defense. But, he is now the full time starter, let's make him a top 10 pick. What was it? Did people think Barlow was as talented as Tomlinson, Alexander and McAllister?

And if you want me to prove that my Barlow comments aren't 20/20 hindsight I could back that one up if you want.

I think that digging up 13 month old threads just for the purpose of putting someone down is pathetic.
Agreed. Just as pathetic, is the self-promoter who bumps his only correct prediction from 13 months earlier.

For starters, this was from July right after Williams called it a day and IIRC before Boston went down for the season.  To say that the Miami situation was unsettled would be an understatement.
And to say Travis Minor was worth a 5th RD pick and could be used as a #2 RB is ridiculous no matter when it was made.Even if Minor was the clear #1. The Miami situation was a horrible spot for any RB to have to play in. Especially a guy who got thrown into the starting spot out of the blue after being a back-up his entire career.
For starters, I don't believe I ever suggested that Minor should be a RB2 or a 5th round pick.Second (which would be missed entirely here), at the time there were about 100 Chris Brown threads and I started this one to review whether Miami would offer Minor a chance to do well.

How this evolved a year later into the entirety of FBG being laughable is beyond me.

As for guys that were back-ups their entire career, I guess we should write of Lamont Jordan.

For starters, this was from July right after Williams called it a day and IIRC before Boston went down for the season.  To say that the Miami situation was unsettled would be an understatement.
For starters, I don't believe I ever suggested that Minor should be a RB2 or a 5th round pick.Second (which would be missed entirely here), at the time there were about 100 Chris Brown threads and I started this one to review whether Miami would offer Minor a chance to do well.

How this evolved a year later into the entirety of FBG being laughable is beyond me.

As for guys that were back-ups their entire career, I guess we should write of Lamont Jordan.
1. You didn't make the comment. Marc Levin(I believe thats his name) made it.2. I don't think Footballguys is laughable because of it's content. I think it's laughable because of how seriously you take this stuff. You really seem to think you are the "best of the best" in fantasy football. I just think it's funny how you shove it down people's throughts. Looks like you've been fairly succesful at it though, so what's the big deal.

To me it just follows the saying: "All the kids will eat it up, if it's packaged properly." You guys do a good job of packaging everything.

3. Are you really about to compare LaMont Jordan to Travis Minor? Even if you were going to, look at the situations they stepped into. The Dolphins didn't go out and sign Minor to high priced long term deal with the intentions of him being their #1 back. It's a totally different situation.

I know what your point was with that comment, but it really doesn't apply to what I said. TO put it simply though, your right, it doesn't matter if your a back-up or not. It matters how talented you are.

LaMont Jordan has the talent to be a #1 RB in the league. Travis Minor has the talent to be a back-up/3rd Down back/change of pace guy and nothing more.

1. You didn't make the comment. Marc Levin(I believe thats his name) made it.2. I don't think Footballguys is laughable because of it's content. I think it's laughable because of how seriously you take this stuff. You really seem to think you are the "best of the best" in fantasy football. I just think it's funny how you shove it down people's throughts. Looks like you've been fairly succesful at it though, so what's the big deal.

To me it just follows the saying: "All the kids will eat it up, if it's packaged properly." You guys do a good job of packaging everything.

3. Are you really about to compare LaMont Jordan to Travis Minor? Even if you were going to, look at the situations they stepped into. The Dolphins didn't go out and sign Minor to high priced long term deal with the intentions of him being their #1 back. It's a totally different situation.

I know what your point was with that comment, but it really doesn't apply to what I said. TO put it simply though, your right, it doesn't matter if your a back-up or not. It matters how talented you are.

LaMont Jordan has the talent to be a #1 RB in the league. Travis Minor has the talent to be a back-up/3rd Down back/change of pace guy and nothing more.
Who brought this guy along? :thumbdown: :yucky:

Who brought this guy along?  :thumbdown:   :yucky:
What am I doing that's so bad? :mellow:
Forgive me, Bucko, I don't want this to turn into a true pi**ing contest. My point is you're somewhat new to the board (6/13/05) and you seemed bent on poo-pooing the thoughts and insights of people whose opinion I for one, hold in high regard.So Minor didn't pan out...you made you're point. Nobody has a crystal ball here. If you're patient and keep reading, you are bound to get some valuable insight from this board and this site.

:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread