What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MixTape Draft - Back to School edition. Make your picks and post your mix! (1 Viewer)

Listening to KP's mix now. I think I just discovered -- like many others before me -- My Morning Jacket is as awesome does.    

Love how the last two tracks of @KarmaPolice's mix go sort of out on '70s/'80s nihilism.  

Great stuff. I think limiting yourself to the periodic table just makes this mix better. I'm not doing write-ups this time as I have too much going on my life right now, but this was fantastic.  Not music I usually like, but right on, brother. No bull####. These are bands I'd always heard of, just never listened to. So fun, commish.  

"And the government will give you a superfund."  

eta* you and Eeph have given us Manic Street Preachers, who sound like Spoon a bit. Worthy.  

Last edited by a moderator:
had hoped to start listening at work on Sat but ran my ear buds thru the washer and it jacked them up--only 1 side was working and even that was sporadic. Working heavy OT thwe next 2 weeks but hope to get some mixes in.

Yeah, no sweat. I'll just leave it as is and let my last post be as such. Jaguar came into my head the other day.  I'm just laughing at my AWOLNATION pick over the Who.  As is. You draft as you draft. I think I might have been deep into the gin.   :D
#### yeah!  I found some New Amsterdam cheap stuff on sale for $9 last week so I got stocked up.  Probably the best bang for the buck cheap booze I have come across in years. 

Listening to KP's mix now. I think I just discovered -- like many others before me -- My Morning Jacket is as awesome does.    
I am a little more hit and miss with MMJ than others around here.  The stuff that hits is like Radiohead-level love for me, but some others I end up skipping. 

Love how the last two tracks of @KarmaPolice's mix go sort of out on '70s/'80s nihilism.  

Great stuff. I think limiting yourself to the periodic table just makes this mix better. I'm not doing write-ups this time as I have too much going on my life right now, but this was fantastic.  Not music I usually like, but right on, brother. No bull####. These are bands I'd always heard of, just never listened to. So fun, commish.  

"And the government will give you a superfund."  

eta* you and Eeph have given us Manic Street Preachers, who sound like Spoon a bit. Worthy.  
@rockaction 

I appreciate the listen and the kind words.  I think this was one of my better efforts, especially since I limited myself so much and the mix was put together on a night before the draft while drinking way too much gin. 

I have been listening to the mixes, and they all have been great.  Sorry I have been too lazy for the formal reviews.  However, @Waingro's mix really hit the spot earlier today.  Just cranked up some metal at the start while doing some cleaning around the house.  Loved the start of the mix.  One thing that stood out was a reminder just how much I dug that Incubus album back in the day.  Good stuff and good to see a little more metal in the mixes.  

I have been listening to the mixes, and they all have been great.  Sorry I have been too lazy for the formal reviews.  However, @Waingro's mix really hit the spot earlier today.  Just cranked up some metal at the start while doing some cleaning around the house.  Loved the start of the mix.  One thing that stood out was a reminder just how much I dug that Incubus album back in the day.  Good stuff and good to see a little more metal in the mixes.  
Thanks for listening KP!! I had a lot of fun putting this one together and relistening some of the albums that have been collecting dust over the years. Incubus, specifically this song, came from the Family Values Tour days ('98, '99).  

I've had some time to listen to some mixes but haven't had the opportunity to write any reviews. I'll definitely post some of my comments when I can. 

Wow, the Cloud Nothings/Brand New back-to-back on Ilov80s mix has me biting my fist. 

Love that Cloud Nothings track. Need to listen to more. Moar please.  

Loving the shift from folk rock and Oh, Alberta from Elliott Brood to Frank, AB by a synth-pop band. Love me some thematics.   

I heard somebody call your name
From underneath our willow
I saw something tucked in shame
Underneath your pillow
Well I've tried so hard baby
But I just can't see
What a woman like you
Is doing with me

I sat this draft out and haven't been on the board much over the past month or so but I popped into the thread occasionally and have listened to a handful of mixes.  I have no idea if you've discussed what to do next but the break has given me a little different perspective about :nerd: mixtape drafts and some of their flaws.  Namely, the threads are tough for visitors to jump into or even if a drafter misses a few days, the late rounds become somewhat rote after people lock in and listening to 15-20 mixes at the end is a time consuming albeit rewarding activity.

Genrepalooza is my idea to make a song draft that's more about drafting and less about mixing.  It's basically a musical genre-based draft with an element of randomness to keep things interesting as the draft progresses.  Here's how it would work.

Round one:  Everybody chooses a musical genre and a song from that genre.  
Round two:  Everybody drafts a song from anybody else's genre

For odd/even rounds beginning with round 3/4, we'll randomly select three genres from the ones nominated earlier.  Drafters can choose songs only from those three genres during the next two rounds.  Doubling down on one of the three categories is acceptable.  

We'll repeat the three genres per each set of odd/even rounds until every nominated genre gets randomly selected once (or 14 rounds, whichever comes last).  Genres can and will get rolled twice but you don't know what's going to happen.  The drawing for the following two rounds will be made at the turn to give people a round to prepare.

For this to work, the genres are of utmost importance.  The only suggested rule here is don't be too obscure (and this is me talking).  I think "metal" should be sufficient as opposed to "doom metal", "death metal", "black metal".  The point is to pick a genre that's deep enough and fun enough for other people to draft from when the dice give them the opportunity.

There's a pretty comprehensive list of musical genres at http://www.musicgenreslist.com/ that takes things to extreme.  Stuff not on the list like live tracks, covers, Beatles, songs by bands like Radiohead, etc. are perfectly fine as categories provided they're not too obscure.  You know I'm a bleeding heart liberal commissioner when it comes to songs fitting into a genre. D'yer Maker is a reggae song in my book.  So is Hotel California but don't draft the Eagles OK?

Posting mixtapes would be optional; the random genres will probably make them too eclectic to work as a mix.  In fact, collaborative playlists by genre might be a better way of preserving the draft for posterity.

#### yeah!  I found some New Amsterdam cheap stuff on sale for $9 last week so I got stocked up.  Probably the best bang for the buck cheap booze I have come across in years. 
First time I bought it was mostly for the cool looking bottle and it was cheap. Now it's my go to gin.

I'll start a thread on Tuesday but wanted to check in here first to see if somebody already got nexts.

In summary, Genrepalooza is an idea to make a song draft that's more about drafting and less about mixing.  It's basically a musical genre-based draft with an element of randomness to keep things interesting as the draft progresses.  Here's how it would work.

Round two:  Everybody drafts a song from anybody else's genre. 

For odd/even rounds beginning with round 3/4, we'll roll nerd dice to randomly select three genres from the ones nominated earlier.  Drafters can choose songs only from those three genres during the upcoming two rounds.  Doubling down on one of the three categories is acceptable.  For example, if punk rock, R&B and country were the randomly selected categories for rounds 3 & 4, I could only draft songs fitting those genres but could pick two country tracks if I wanted to.  If country was rolled again for rounds 5 & 6, I could pick one or two more country songs or from either of the other selected categories for those rounds.

We'll repeat the three genres per each set of odd/even rounds until every nominated genre gets randomly selected once (or 14 rounds, whichever comes last). 

In summary, Genrepalooza is an idea to make a song draft that's more about drafting and less about mixing.  It's basically a musical genre-based draft with an element of randomness to keep things interesting as the draft progresses.  Here's how it would work.

Round two:  Everybody drafts a song from anybody else's genre. 

For odd/even rounds beginning with round 3/4, we'll roll nerd dice to randomly select three genres from the ones nominated earlier.  Drafters can choose songs only from those three genres during the upcoming two rounds.  Doubling down on one of the three categories is acceptable.  For example, if punk rock, R&B and country were the randomly selected categories for rounds 3 & 4, I could only draft songs fitting those genres but could pick two country tracks if I wanted to.  If country was rolled again for rounds 5 & 6, I could pick one or two more country songs or from either of the other selected categories for those rounds.

We'll repeat the three genres per each set of odd/even rounds until every nominated genre gets randomly selected once (or 14 rounds, whichever comes last). 
Will the dice rolls be done as we go or in advance?

So at the end of round 1 all categories will be clear. If eg there are 5 Heavy Metals, 3 Colombian nose flutes and 1 each of 10 other categories, will the dice rolls be loaded toward heavy metal and colombian nose flute?

Will the dice rolls be done as we go or in advance?

So at the end of round 1 all categories will be clear. If eg there are 5 Heavy Metals, 3 Colombian nose flutes and 1 each of 10 other categories, will the dice rolls be loaded toward heavy metal and colombian nose flute?
Dice rolls will made around the odd to even turn so you'll know one round in advance what the categories will be for your next two picks.  For example. let's say there are ten categories

1. Metal (rolls 1-100)
  2. Colombian Nose Flute (rolls 101-200)
  3. Punk
  4. Rap
  5. More punk
  6. The Rolling Stones
  7. Covers
  8. Folk
  9. Yacht Rock/Soft Rock
  10. The 80s (rolls 901-1000)
and I roll

RPG Library Secure Dice generated the following rolls for .

3d1000, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 683, 858, 85
Roll subtotal: 1626
Roll total: 1626
So the categories for the upcoming rounds would be:   Covers, Yacht/Soft Rock and Metal.  Everybody's next two picks would have to be any combination of those three genres.  You could draft two metal songs if the  :devil:  orders you to :headbang:

After the first of those rounds are drafted, we roll again for the following two rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread