What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MNF-Wildcard ***Dallas at Tampa Bay*** (+3, 45) (1 Viewer)

As the sports talk hosts like to say, future hall-of-famer, Mike Evans.

Seems like a reach. If Reggie Wayne and Torry Holt aren't in, why would he get in over them? It's a crowded field for WRs.
Evans has arguably been better. Maybe.

1000+ yards every year. Has a ring. It’s close, but he could get in.
Too soon to tell about Evans. He's 29 . . . if he hangs 'em up soon, I don't think he would get much consideration. But he could play 5 or 6 more years (maybe). His HOF Monitor score is currently only 45.44. The average HOF WR has a score of 104. But if he stays productive for several more seasons, he could end up Top 5-10 in both receiving yards and receiving TD. He currently ranks 45th in career receiving yards, but he's only 3,920 yards from the 10th spot. He'd only have to pass Jones and Hopkins on the way up the list, so there aren't a lot of active guys he would have to catch up to.

He's currently 30th in all time receiving TD with 81. As of now, 100 receiving TD would get you into the Top 10 (Evans is 6 TD catches behind Adams). Every player with 100 TD is or will be in the HOF (the only ones with 100+ receiving TD not inducted yet are Fitzgerald and Gates). The only other players that have scored 100 or more total TDs not in the HOF are ADP, Shaun Alexander, and Gore. Alexander hasn't gotten a ton of consideration, but that would mean 24 of the 25 guys with 100+ TDs were HOFers.

Last edited:
He's currently 30th in all time receiving TD with 81. As of now, 100 receiving TD would get you into the Top 10 (Evans is 6 TD catches behind Adams). Every player with 100 TD is or will be in the HOF (the only ones with 100+ receiving TD not inducted yet are Fitzgerald and Gates). The only other players that have scored 100 or more total TDs not in the HOF are ADP, Shaun Alexander, and Gore. Alexander hasn't gotten a ton of consideration, but that would mean 24 of the 25 guys with 100+ TDs were HOFers.
19+ more TD seems pretty well attainable - he’s been pretty inconsistent in that dept year to year. Seems like he either has 12+ or ~6

Maybe 4 years away is a safe bet? Dude stays in good shape, I could see him get to 100+

If he hits that metric I agree he’ll likely get In. The fact that he’s had 1000+ receiving yards for 9 straight seasons makes him an outlier in at least one thing, though he’s never led the league in receptions, TDs, or yards. Shockingly he’s never had a 100 reception season. IIRC one major consideration has long been “dominated against peers” in one of more of those categories. He’s been consistent but not dominant. Not sure if that works against him or not.

He’s borderline - I agree he could get there with some stat compiling seasons. He’s an interesting case.

He’s definitely an underrated player.

19+ more TD seems pretty well attainable - he’s been pretty inconsistent in that dept year to year. Seems like he either has 12+ or ~6

Maybe 4 years away is a safe bet? Dude stays in good shape, I could see him get to 100+

If he hits that metric I agree he’ll likely get In. The fact that he’s had 1000+ receiving yards for 9 straight seasons makes him an outlier in at least one thing, though he’s never led the league in receptions, TDs, or yards. Shockingly he’s never had a 100 reception season. IIRC one major consideration has long been “dominated against peers” in one of more of those categories. He’s been consistent but not dominant. Not sure if that works against him or not.

He’s borderline - I agree he could get there with some stat compiling seasons. He’s an interesting case.

He’s definitely an underrated player.
The other issue (at least for induction into Anarchy's HOF) is that Evans has put up solid but sometimes not top-level production. I like to compare peers to peers (rather than comparing 2020 era receivers to 1970s era receivers) . . . that way we can get a better idea where guys ranked in their era. I like to look at Top 5 rankings in receptions, receiving yardage, and receiving TD. The argument being, a HOFer should have ranked in the Top 5 a number of times amongst his peer group to get a lot of HOF traction. Not a perfect way to look at things, but a least it's something to look at. IMO, a 1,000 yard receiving season in 17 games should not count the same value wise as a 1,000-yard receiving season in a 12-, 14-, or 16-game season.

That way, people won't look at Evans and his 1,035 yards receiving in 2021 (when he ranked 23rd in the league) and suggest that he had a better season than Drew Pearson did in 1977 when he had "only" 870 receiving yards (but ranked #1 in the NFL).

As you mentioned, Evans has 9 thousand-yard seasons, and he's ranked in the Top 5 in those 3 receiving categories 6 times. Hopkins has a higher HOF Monitor score (and has played one more season than Evans) and ranked Top 5 in those key categories 10 times. Fitzgerald did it 13 times. Antonio Brown did it 13 times as well (and if he wasn't such a whackadoo, he would have been a strong HOF candidate).

We all know that HOF voters love inflated career totals, and as we already mentioned, a few more seasons like he's had already had, and Evans will vault up the HOF consideration ladder.

If you live anywhere around Tampa, Evans is a first ballot HOFer, just ask any Buc fan.
I have literally never heard one Bucs fan say this. You don’t have to make stuff up man.

You’re so bitter about the Bucs on here because you say this area talks about….the local football team. Doesn’t make any sense.

If you live anywhere around Tampa, Evans is a first ballot HOFer, just ask any Buc fan.
I have literally never heard one Bucs fan say this. You don’t have to make stuff up man.

You’re so bitter about the Bucs on here because you say this area talks about….the local football team. Doesn’t make any sense.
Every Buc fan I know thinks Evans is a first ballot HOFer.

Feel free to ignore my posts going forward, I couldn't care less about your opinion.

Every Buc fan I know thinks Evans is a first ballot HOFer.

Feel free to ignore my posts going forward, I couldn't care less about your opinion.

No you don’t.

Why would I do that, you think Brock Purdy is the best QB in the league, I can’t get comedy like that anywhere else.

We all know that HOF voters love inflated career totals, and as we already mentioned, a few more seasons like he's had already had, and Evans will vault up the HOF consideration ladder.
Yea, but also as I’d mentioned, he hasn’t “dominated the errs in which he played” which is a frequent commentary I’ve heard from HOF voters and sports analysts over the years.

Did he ever lead the league in receiving, yards, or TDs? I think that works against him even if he does compile the numbers to get to 100+ TDs, or pass up some other players in yardage.

In that light I doubt he’d be 1st ballot or anywhere close. He could make it in, but it could also be a case where he’s denied entry because of a lack of perceived dominance against his peers.

I agree completely that it’s a better measurement than simply all-time rankings across eras.

Yea, but also as I’d mentioned, he hasn’t “dominated the errs in which he played” which is a frequent commentary I’ve heard from HOF voters and sports analysts over the years.

Did he ever lead the league in receiving, yards, or TDs? I think that works against him even if he does compile the numbers to get to 100+ TDs, or pass up some other players in yardage.

In that light I doubt he’d be 1st ballot or anywhere close. He could make it in, but it could also be a case where he’s denied entry because of a lack of perceived dominance against his peers.

I agree completely that it’s a better measurement than simply all-time rankings across eras.
Like I said, too soon to evaluate Evans. If he retired today, he would only get into Canton with a ticket. If he keeps playing at a decent productivity level for 5 more years (say another 5K yards and 40 TD), and he'd end up right around the Top 5 in both categories (and be close to a lock). The longer he keeps playing, the better his chances will be. (Sadly, even if his yearly numbers declined but he played even longer, that also would help his cause . . . another 5K yards and 40 TD over 7 years would still get it done, and at that point he would be putting up BELOW AVERAGE production).

Like I said, too soon to evaluate Evans. If he retired today, he would only get into Canton with a ticket. If he keeps playing at a decent productivity level for 5 more years (say another 5K yards and 40 TD), and he'd end up right around the Top 5 in both categories (and be close to a lock). The longer he keeps playing, the better his chances will be. (Sadly, even if his yearly numbers declined but he played even longer, that also would help his cause . . . another 5K yards and 40 TD over 7 years would still get it done, and at that point he would be putting up BELOW AVERAGE production).
Agreed.

IMO he’d have to have 1 truly dominant season - like, lead the league in receiving TDs with 100+ receptions.

Unfortunately for Evans, his best chances at that may have passed. Never know though - it’s possible.

Agreed.

IMO he’d have to have 1 truly dominant season - like, lead the league in receiving TDs with 100+ receptions.

Unfortunately for Evans, his best chances at that may have passed. Never know though - it’s possible.
He doesn't need an uber productive season. His pace and production have been fine, and there are plenty of guys that got in as lifetime achievement compilers. As long as he gets those padded stats we have been talking about, he should get in eventually (currently a backlog of receivers waiting for induction).

Agreed.

He doesn't need an uber productive season. His pace and production have been fine, and there are plenty of guys that got in as lifetime achievement compilers. As long as he gets those padded stats we have been talking about, he should get in eventually (currently a backlog of receivers waiting for induction).
Yeah, but it wouldn’t hurt. He seems like he’s somewhere between Tim Brown and Sean Alexander at this point.

I think Mike’s 1000 yard streak and winning a Super Bowl with the GOAT will eventually get him in. 5th or 6th try at it imo.

Those voters love streaks and records and champions and I think he has the second-longest streak now after Rice.

Yeah, but it wouldn’t hurt. He seems like he’s somewhere between Tim Brown and Sean Alexander at this point.
Evans has the 9th most receiving yard through 9 seasons played and the 4th most receiving yards through his Age 29 season. If he stays healthy and keeps plugging away, he just needs to keep compiling and improve his ranking on notable volume-based statistical categories.

I think Mike’s 1000 yard streak and winning a Super Bowl with the GOAT will eventually get him in. 5th or 6th try at it imo.

Those voters love streaks and records and champions and I think he has the second-longest streak now after Rice.
Rice had 11 straight 1000+ seasons

Evans has done it his 1st 9 years, which Rice didn't do (missed it by 73 yards in his rookie season)

Evans has the 9th most receiving yard through 9 seasons played and the 4th most receiving yards through his Age 29 season. If he stays healthy and keeps plugging away, he just needs to keep compiling and improve his ranking on notable volume-based statistical categories.
He's an interesting player to discuss for sure. Thanks for engaging.

He's an interesting player to discuss for sure. Thanks for engaging.
As a comparison, some other guys had careers that started off similarly and then weren't able to keep playing into their mid-30's. Julio Jones is still playing but his numbers are way down. Torry Holt saw a big decrease after putting up scary numbers. Andre Johnson didn't do much with the Colts at the end. Brandon Marshall was good until he was 31 and then fizzled. Chad Johnson was a beast until he was 29 and then lost a step and became very ordinary. A.J. Green had 6 thousand-yard seasons in 7 years and then has mostly disappeared. Demaryius Thomas (RIP) had one of the best 5-year stretches in recent memory and then quickly became a JAG. OBJ was a monster in NYG and now can't even find a team. Dez Bryant looked unstoppable for a while and then fell off the map. The point being, fortunes can change very quickly in the NFL. Hopefully Evans can stay healthy and productive enough for a few more years.

The point being, fortunes can change very quickly in the NFL. Hopefully Evans can stay healthy and productive enough for a few more years.
Agreed again - and unfortunate for Evans chances at that, he’s battled soft tissue injuries for years. Mostly hammy issues IIRC.

That doesn’t project well for 4-5 more years of dominant play, as those tend to be the sort of injuries that impact older players most frequently.

But maybe he’ll buck that trend. Time will tell.

Evans is definitely on a 1st ballot HOF trajectory. I would think 1 more 1k yard season next year would solidify it at 10 straight to start a career blowing everyone else out of the water.

Users who are viewing this thread