What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mort says SD shopping Antonio Cromartie for a running back (1 Viewer)

Cullen Jenkins would be an even trade (CHTV, I did read your post.)

If SD wants a pick instead, I would guess 3rd round (#86).
Busted.I'd rather they get a rookie CB in the 2nd than give up a 3rd for Cromartie. I just don't think that much of him.

Jenkins probably wouldn't do it because SD runs a 3/4 also. If he doesn't fit that well as a DE in GB's 3/4, I doubt SD would be overjoyed to get him for their defense.

We could always take it in another direction though. If SD wants a bigger RB to carry the load the Packers could give them Grant for Cromartie and SD's 2nd round pick. I'll take that if I'm the Packers. Yes please.
Why all the talk about trading Jenkins? I thought he played just fine last season?
I blame Aaron......See here.It makes sense to me if they can get something decent out of a deal.

Cromartie definitely goes for the INT far too much -- that came as a result of wanting to repeat his 10 INT, pro-bowl season, but he still has value and he's only 25 years old. I'm curious to see what we can pick up for him. A couple of good possibilities have been mentioned here (Lynch, Michael Bush), and I also think the Chargers believe that Marion Barber would make a great complement to Sproles (obviously the Chargers would need to include more to land him). But if AJ doesn't see a deal that he likes, he'll probably flip Cromartie for a pick and I wouldn't rule out the notion of the Chargers trading up to get Spiller.
I think "fair value" in return is the Barber, Bush, Lynch range...the Brandon Jackson stuff is just nuts. I know Cromartie had an off year, but how many guys have has 10 INTs in a season versus guys that have been in the league for three years and have yet to amass 1000 yards. I think the whole notion of trading him is silly in general unless they feel they can get one of those three back. RBs are a dime a dozen which is why teams like the Jets, Indy, Dallas, Baltimore, NE, Miami, NO...etc, etc, keep trotting out 2-3 guys in a rotation.

RBs are a dime a dozen which is why teams like the Jets, Indy, Dallas, Baltimore, NE, Miami, NO...etc, etc, keep trotting out 2-3 guys in a rotation.
Felix, D Brown, Addai, Maroney, R Brown, and R Bush were all 1st round picks. Rice was a 2nd rounder and Greene a 3rd rounder. Explain dime a dozen please. That looks like a big dime to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
jacobo_moses said:
I have Tashard Choice and M. Lynch in a dynasty league and would love for either of them to go to SD Chargers.
As a Lynch owner I can only hope!I hope he ends up anywhere besides BUF and gets his career back on track!
I had Lynch in Dynasty but traded him due to his on and off field issues this past year. So, it might seem biased, but I can't see the Chargers taking a character risk with Lynch.Notice also I have T. Choice and Mi. Bush on that dynasty squad. I even grabbed Gartrell Johnson for my Taxi on the off chance he was the replacement for LT. I'd flip to see either of those guys end up there...however:I don't see Choice getting traded unless Jerruh really loves Cromartie. I don't see DAL getting rid of their least expensive, most healthy, and most versatile RB. I don't see Al Davis trading to a division rival. Just don't see it.That pretty much leaves DeAngelo Williams, who's in his last year of his contract, and draft picks. I just don't see how a team lets go of a guy like DeAngelo, even with JStew in the stable. Just doesn't make sense.I think if a trade happens, it happens maybe for a 2nd-4th pick at best and the Chargers draft 1-2 RBs, probably late 1st day, maybe 2-3rd day. They could go for a guy like Chester Taylor or even Mewelde Moore to have some veteran presence.

RBs are a dime a dozen which is why teams like the Jets, Indy, Dallas, Baltimore, NE, Miami, NO...etc, etc, keep trotting out 2-3 guys in a rotation.
Felix, D Brown, Addai, Maroney, R Brown, and R Bush were all 1st round picks. Rice was a 2nd rounder and Greene a 3rd rounder. Explain dime a dozen please. That looks like a big dime to me.
They were (I agree with you there although I was talking Michael Bush on Reggie) and teams like Tampa are trotting out two street FAs (Ward/Graham), the Packers feature a 7th rounder in Grant (or something like that), Ahmad Bradshaw as a running mate to Jacobs (7th and 4th rounders), New Orleans...my gosh...you have Reggie (which actually proves my point) being displaced by both Pierre Thomas and Mike Bell (more rushing yards each than Bush had combined rushing receiving)...So I throw it back to you, why draft a RB top 5 when you can find two guys on the soup kitchen line who can outperform your "stud"...that is dime a dozen to me.

LawFitz said:
I like the two Bush calls the most.a. Michael was a Kiffin pick and Al hates him because of that. Plus he doesn't have game breaking speed or the "look" of a stud RB so Al hates him for that too. If they were close to trading him to Diego last year for what was reported to be a 3rd rounder, I know Al would give him up for way overhyped, way undisciplined, but uber talented Cromartie. He is a classic Al Davis type of player.b. Reggie is a complimentary player for NO and will soon be demanding a new contract. I could easily see Payton moving him for AC if Gregg Williams signs off on being able to fit the guy into his pretty complex defense.
I think Kiffen found out who the Raider's drafted by watching ESPN like the rest of us. I doubt any head coach of the Raiders of the last 20 years has had and input into who they draft .

Any chance the Giants get into the conversation? Could Jacobs or Bradshaw be worth anything in a deal? Especially if Cromartie's value has been hit enough.
Doubt it, I believe the Giants like what they have in Ross, Webster, Thomas.

Any chance the Giants get into the conversation? Could Jacobs or Bradshaw be worth anything in a deal? Especially if Cromartie's value has been hit enough.
This can't be! I would like to flip one of these guys for Cromartie, who while imperfect would be a big help to this swiss cheese secondary. If Kenny Phillips doesn't bounceback, they're an 8 win team again.

This can't be! I would like to flip one of these guys for Cromartie, who while imperfect would be a big help to this swiss cheese secondary. If Kenny Phillips doesn't bounceback, they're an 8 win team again.
I think the scheme and injuries were more of the cause than players loosing a step or lacking talent. Ross was playing safety due to injuries and the front 7 wasn't getting much pressure.I just don't think Cromarite would be worth the cost, when scheme and play calling changes should fix things. LB is what the giants are really looking for, and safety if the injury to Phillips is career ending.

Chargers' Cromartie remains on trading block

By Kevin Acee

Feb 17, 2010

Antonio Cromartie has been and remains on the trading block.

It was reported last March that the Chargers planned to try to trade Cromartie but that those plans were contingent on the club acquiring another cornerback. Four weeks ago, following the 2009 season, it was reported that the Chargers likely would try to trade Cromartie again.

Rumblings about his being traded have grown recently, and league sources Wednesday said the Chargers actually have been shopping Cromartie for the better part of the past year.

The team was involved in talks regarding Cromartie up until the October trading deadline and has had feelers out the bulk of this offseason, sources said.

“We’re not discussing any information on any of our players,” Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said Wednesday. “If there is anything to report on any of our players we’ll let you know immediately.”

Smith said in his end-of-the year news conference last February that the Chargers had players “who have to step up … I’m uncertain about a few guys.” Cromartie was one of the players to whom he was referring.

Cromartie had 10 interceptions in 2007 but has just five in the two seasons since, and his lack of physicality and a perceived laissez faire attitude has worn on teammates and coaches.

The team is ready to move on from its 2006 first-round draft pick, and Cromartie has told people close to him he would like to be traded.

One source said the team talked with the Dallas Cowboys recently about a deal involving Cowboys running back Tashard Choice, though it was not known whether there were any other components involved in a potential deal. The Cowboys were not interested.

It is not known if the Chargers will be able to work a deal for Cromartie, though talks are expected to pick up at the Scouting Combine next week in Indianapolis. Whether or not Cromartie can be traded, it is virtually certain that 2010 would be his final season as a Charger.

Before any team would trade for Cromartie, whose contract expires after 2010, it almost certainly would negotiate a contract extension.

Antoine Cason, the Chargers’ 2008 first-round pick, would be Cromartie’s heir apparent. But the Chargers likely will look to draft a cornerback, even if they keep Cromartie for 2010.

Cason is still seen as a future starter at cornerback despite the fact he lost his job as the No. 1 nickel back midway through last season. Sources have said the team was not pleased with how Cason played in September and October after showing great promise in the spring and summer, but it believes he will improve and has the tools to play outside at corner.

Cromartie definitely goes for the INT far too much -- that came as a result of wanting to repeat his 10 INT, pro-bowl season, but he still has value and he's only 25 years old. I'm curious to see what we can pick up for him. A couple of good possibilities have been mentioned here (Lynch, Michael Bush), and I also think the Chargers believe that Marion Barber would make a great complement to Sproles (obviously the Chargers would need to include more to land him). But if AJ doesn't see a deal that he likes, he'll probably flip Cromartie for a pick and I wouldn't rule out the notion of the Chargers trading up to get Spiller.
I think "fair value" in return is the Barber, Bush, Lynch range...the Brandon Jackson stuff is just nuts. I know Cromartie had an off year, but how many guys have has 10 INTs in a season versus guys that have been in the league for three years and have yet to amass 1000 yards. I think the whole notion of trading him is silly in general unless they feel they can get one of those three back. RBs are a dime a dozen which is why teams like the Jets, Indy, Dallas, Baltimore, NE, Miami, NO...etc, etc, keep trotting out 2-3 guys in a rotation.
Well said.Not only don't I want SD to trade Cromartie for any 3rd string RB's but I don't even want them to draft one in the first round. I say sign Larry Johnson, draft a RB somewhere in round 2-4, and wait for one of many high priced underachieving backs around the league to get released with no financial penalty before the season starts. There are a bunch of 3 headed RB situations around the league right now and some rookies will press the #3 RB on all those rosters just like every season. With that passing offense SD can win with RBBC.I wouldn't even like to see them trade for any of those three RB's to be honest.

I think the scheme and injuries were more of the cause than players loosing a step or lacking talent. Ross was playing safety due to injuries and the front 7 wasn't getting much pressure.I just don't think Cromarite would be worth the cost, when scheme and play calling changes should fix things. LB is what the giants are really looking for, and safety if the injury to Phillips is career ending.
While I agree that LB is our primary need, if we can trade an expendable RB for a playmaker like Cromartie, I'd be in. Our scheme is based upon pressuring the QB - if we don't do that, we lose regardless. However, if we can get back to our blueprint (no pun intended) next year, having someone like Cromartie to take advantage of the lines pressure on the QB can be a real difference maker.Perhaps it is a deal with a RB and one of our DBs or something... just a thought.

I just going to throw this out there and then duck for cover.

Would Shanny trade Portis again for a corner? It seems to me that Shanny doesn't mind using rookie RBs to tote the rock.

I just going to throw this out there and then duck for cover. Would Shanny trade Portis again for a corner? It seems to me that Shanny doesn't mind using rookie RBs to tote the rock.
Portis isn't worth Cromartie, and that's not saying a whole lot.

I just going to throw this out there and then duck for cover. Would Shanny trade Portis again for a corner? It seems to me that Shanny doesn't mind using rookie RBs to tote the rock.
Portis isn't worth Cromartie, and that's not saying a whole lot.
I'd rather keep LT than trade for Portis.It looks like NFL GMs don't overrate Cromartie as much as fans do, so the Chargers may not get better than a third-rounder for him -- if that. On the other hand, the Chargers could probably keep Cromartie for one more year, then let him leave as an unrestricted free agent in 2011 and pick up a compensatory pick for him -- maybe a fourth rounder, depending on what he signs for elsewhere. (I'm not sure how compensatory picks would be handled without a new CBA getting worked out by then, though.)

Of the following possibilities, which one makes the most sense for both teams?

1) Cromartie to the Lions for a third-round draft pick.

2) Cromartie to the Browns for a third-round draft pick.

3) Cromartie to the Seahawks for a third-round draft pick.

4) Cromartie to the Titans for LenDale White and a fifth-round draft pick.

5) Cromartie to the Falcons for Jerious Norwood and a fifth-round draft pick.

6) Cromartie to the Jaguars for Rashad Jennings straight up. (Maybe the Chargers throw in a conditional late pick.)

7) Cromartie and Vincent Jackson to the Cardinals for Anquan Boldin, Tim Hightower, and a fifth-round draft pick.

Of the following possibilities, which one makes the most sense for both teams?1) Cromartie to the Lions for a third-round draft pick.2) Cromartie to the Browns for a third-round draft pick.3) Cromartie to the Seahawks for a third-round draft pick.4) Cromartie to the Titans for LenDale White and a fifth-round draft pick.5) Cromartie to the Falcons for Jerious Norwood and a fifth-round draft pick.6) Cromartie to the Jaguars for Rashad Jennings straight up. (Maybe the Chargers throw in a conditional late pick.)7) Cromartie and Vincent Jackson to the Cardinals for Anquan Boldin, Tim Hightower, and a fifth-round draft pick.
I like #6 for the Jags.

I would think Cromartie would look good in Carolina and I know DWill would look good in SD.I'm still calling SD or Houston is where DWill is playing next year.
:confused: Rivers for Dwill would happen before Cromartie for DWill. If neither of those work out, maybe Tenn would part with Chris Johnson.

Of the following possibilities, which one makes the most sense for both teams?1) Cromartie to the Lions for a third-round draft pick.2) Cromartie to the Browns for a third-round draft pick.3) Cromartie to the Seahawks for a third-round draft pick.4) Cromartie to the Titans for LenDale White and a fifth-round draft pick.5) Cromartie to the Falcons for Jerious Norwood and a fifth-round draft pick.6) Cromartie to the Jaguars for Rashad Jennings straight up. (Maybe the Chargers throw in a conditional late pick.)7) Cromartie and Vincent Jackson to the Cardinals for Anquan Boldin, Tim Hightower, and a fifth-round draft pick.
I'm just curious... where did you come up with these possibilities?I'd hate to see any of these happen but I guess #1 would be the "best" of these options.Much rather just have a solid starting CB playing for his contract year for one more season than any of these options. If he plays really well and earns a big contract you'll get a good compensatory pick(assuming the system is similar) and if he plays poorly you aren't losing anything if he walks away at the end of his contract.

I'm just curious... where did you come up with these possibilities?I'd hate to see any of these happen but I guess #1 would be the "best" of these options.Much rather just have a solid starting CB playing for his contract year for one more season than any of these options. If he plays really well and earns a big contract you'll get a good compensatory pick(assuming the system is similar) and if he plays poorly you aren't losing anything if he walks away at the end of his contract.
i'd like to know also, did you just make these possibilities up yourself? That's a lot of inside information, or else it's just a bunch of BS. Just read a sneak peek at ESPON insider talking about lendale for Cromartie so it's something that is being talked about in at least some circles.

i'd like to know also, did you just make these possibilities up yourself? That's a lot of inside information, or else it's just a bunch of BS. Just read a sneak peek at ESPON insider talking about lendale for Cromartie so it's something that is being talked about in at least some circles.
Lendale only if he comes with 2 bottles of Patron.. he did nothing last year. it would have to be him and a pick

Do th eChargers have any need for a pass rusher like Aaron Kampman? Somewhat damaged goods at this point in time, but expected to make a full recovery.

7 kids out of wedlock before age 24 and a purported ~ 60 IQ. I'll pass.
Do you have any idea what a person with a 60 IQ is like? If you did you wouldn't have posted such nonsense.You can tell from this interview he's very much within the normal IQ range.

eefflrat said:
BoltBacker said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
Of the following possibilities, which one makes the most sense for both teams?

1) Cromartie to the Lions for a third-round draft pick.

2) Cromartie to the Browns for a third-round draft pick.

3) Cromartie to the Seahawks for a third-round draft pick.

4) Cromartie to the Titans for LenDale White and a fifth-round draft pick.

5) Cromartie to the Falcons for Jerious Norwood and a fifth-round draft pick.

6) Cromartie to the Jaguars for Rashad Jennings straight up. (Maybe the Chargers throw in a conditional late pick.)

7) Cromartie and Vincent Jackson to the Cardinals for Anquan Boldin, Tim Hightower, and a fifth-round draft pick.
I'm just curious... where did you come up with these possibilities?I'd hate to see any of these happen but I guess #1 would be the "best" of these options.

Much rather just have a solid starting CB playing for his contract year for one more season than any of these options. If he plays really well and earns a big contract you'll get a good compensatory pick(assuming the system is similar) and if he plays poorly you aren't losing anything if he walks away at the end of his contract.
i'd like to know also, did you just make these possibilities up yourself? That's a lot of inside information, or else it's just a bunch of BS.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that the Chargers or the other teams are pursuing any of those ideas -- I was just mentioning them as possibilities for us online GMs to speculate about. (They're mostly based on a blog post I saw; but the author was just making them up, and I changed them around a little.)

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Do th eChargers have any need for a pass rusher like Aaron Kampman? Somewhat damaged goods at this point in time, but expected to make a full recovery.
Yes, they do.... but I'm not sure if it's been decided that Kampman will be able to make the transition to OLB. I thought he had started slow and was making strides before the injury but it's still up in the air. Plus, as you mentioned he's coming off an injury so he's damaged goods.For the record I've always liked Kampan but he's kind of long in the tooth to be making such a radical position change imo. Doesn't he also have a pretty hefty contract? If he doesn't fit into the defense they want to run, is over the age of 30, is coming off an in injury and makes a lot of $ I would think he's the prototype of the guy that will probably get released this season when teams won't really be penalized for releasing big $ players and there is a lower minimum salary cap,If SD was interested in him I'd just wait to see if he's healthy and see if GB is close to releasing him.

BassNBrew said:
I would think Cromartie would look good in Carolina and I know DWill would look good in SD.I'm still calling SD or Houston is where DWill is playing next year.
:goodposting: Rivers for Dwill would happen before Cromartie for DWill. If neither of those work out, maybe Tenn would part with Chris Johnson.
I think it looks pretty good actual

Mike Florio describes Antonio Cromartie as "a guy who avoids contact like a germophobe at Grand Central Station." :D

I thought I was the only one that thought Cromartie still had value until I heard Blooms interview with Danial Jeremiah on the FBG podcasts(a must listen this time of year imo). Bloom brought up Cromartie being a "liability" in his "later career"(he's 25yo) but Jeremiah countered with these quotes when discussing Cromartie;

"very markatable chip"

"big athletic corner"

"long line of teams that would be very interested"

"limitless talent"

"don't want to be giving up corners for RB's"

Maybe it's just me but I weigh the opinion of guys like Jeremiah much more than a guy like Mike Florio.

From Kevin Acee: "Not a done deal, but I'm hearing Cromartie could be a Lion soon. Regardless, Cro has almost certainly played his last game for Chargers."

From Kevin Acee: "Not a done deal, but I'm hearing Cromartie could be a Lion soon. Regardless, Cro has almost certainly played his last game for Chargers."
I am still hoping the Chargers work out a deal with the Bills to get Lynch, for selfish reasons, I have Lynch on too many of my dynasty teams :unsure:

per @fyifootballplay tweet:

The Detroit News reports that the SD Chargers asking price for Antonio Cromartie -may include- Maurice Morris & a 4th- or 5th-RD draft pick

per @fyifootballplay tweet:The Detroit News reports that the SD Chargers asking price for Antonio Cromartie -may include- Maurice Morris & a 4th- or 5th-RD draft pick
Man, he sure is lousy RB to trade for. He's on the ww in several of my leagues and I wouldn't care if he did go to SD I wouldn't pick him up.

per @fyifootballplay tweet:The Detroit News reports that the SD Chargers asking price for Antonio Cromartie -may include- Maurice Morris & a 4th- or 5th-RD draft pick
Man, he sure is lousy RB to trade for. He's on the ww in several of my leagues and I wouldn't care if he did go to SD I wouldn't pick him up.
Considering the Chargers' RB cupboard is all but bare - I think it's safe to assume they'd be looking at MoMo as a backup/depth/COP type option and nothing more...

Considering the Chargers' RB cupboard is all but bare - I think it's safe to assume they'd be looking at MoMo as a backup/depth/COP type option and nothing more...
Aren't there better FA options right now?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Chargers are "exploring possible trade scenarios" that involve trading CB Antonio Cromartie for a running back.Despite being a four-year starter, Cromartie has fallen out of favor with the Bolts. GM A.J. Smith will have a hard time getting full value for him after his half-hearted attempt at tackling in the playoff loss to the Jets. There were persistent rumors of a Cromartie-for-Tashard Choice deal a week ago, but the Cowboys aren't interested. Mort mentions the Packers as a team looking for corner help, though they'd have to deal a draft pick instead of a player. Source: ESPN.com
Ted Thompson values draft picks above all else. No way Green Bay does that. Maybe they'd send Brandon Jackson or Deshawn Wynn, but not a pick, unless it was a 5th or later.
How about Brandon Jackson and Cullen Jenkins for Cromartie?
Don't you think the Chargers would want a good RB if they were going to move Cromartie? B. Jackson is a nice back up, but he is FAR from being a quality starter, especially on a contending team that is trying to make a power move.
The Lions may get him for Mo Morris, a 4th or 5th? I'm pulling my initial offer. B Jackson and C Jenkins would be way too much for Crapartie.

I thought I was the only one that thought Cromartie still had value until I heard Blooms interview with Danial Jeremiah on the FBG podcasts(a must listen this time of year imo). Bloom brought up Cromartie being a "liability" in his "later career"(he's 25yo) but Jeremiah countered with these quotes when discussing Cromartie;"very markatable chip""big athletic corner" "long line of teams that would be very interested" "limitless talent" "don't want to be giving up corners for RB's"Maybe it's just me but I weigh the opinion of guys like Jeremiah much more than a guy like Mike Florio.
Very much agree. RBs are a dime a dozen in this league compared to CBs. If the Lions can get a problem guy with limitless talent they can take a chance to turn around in exchange for a journeyman RB it's well worth the price.

This trade should make Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte and Ryan Grant very happy.
Yes, because Cromartie will be pushing all those incredibly good tackling CB's the Lions have had for the last several years to the bench. Those RB's are FINALLY going to catch a break playing the Lions. Good point.

This trade should make Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte and Ryan Grant very happy.
Yes, because Cromartie will be pushing all those incredibly good tackling CB's the Lions have had for the last several years to the bench. Those RB's are FINALLY going to catch a break playing the Lions. Good point.
Does he help a team that is near the bottom of the league against the run? I found a pic of Cromartie in his new uniform. > The new lion

Users who are viewing this thread