What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mort says SD shopping Antonio Cromartie for a running back (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Chargers are "exploring possible trade scenarios" that involve trading CB Antonio Cromartie for a running back.

Despite being a four-year starter, Cromartie has fallen out of favor with the Bolts. GM A.J. Smith will have a hard time getting full value for him after his half-hearted attempt at tackling in the playoff loss to the Jets. There were persistent rumors of a Cromartie-for-Tashard Choice deal a week ago, but the Cowboys aren't interested. Mort mentions the Packers as a team looking for corner help, though they'd have to deal a draft pick instead of a player.

Source: ESPN.com

Cromartie is not a good corner at this point in his career.

A team would have to really believe they can change his course to offer up a player or pick of value.

Throw in the fact that Cromartie is going to want a top 10 CB contract when it comes time to resign him and it makes the risk involved of acquiring him pretty substantial.

I would think Cromartie would look good in Carolina and I know DWill would look good in SD.

I'm still calling SD or Houston is where DWill is playing next year.

to the Raiders for Michael Bush?

SD had a lot of interest in Bush last offseason, perhaps they go after Bush once again??

Is that Cromartie's fault he is undisciplined or the coaches? Either way, these coaches think they can fix anyone and the need is there for the Titans. SD needs a bruising between the tackles RB and I think White could be good addition with Sproles. Not saying its gonna happen, just a thought.

Is that Cromartie's fault he is undisciplined or the coaches? Either way, these coaches think they can fix anyone and the need is there for the Titans. SD needs a bruising between the tackles RB and I think White could be good addition with Sproles. Not saying its gonna happen, just a thought.
Not sure how "bruising" FatDale is. He's pretty soft.

Do we pencil in whoever lands in SD for a top-20 and perhaps a top-10 finish? That's a nice offense.
:shrug: San Diego will be more of a passing offense than a running team and the new RB would be in a time share. Top 20 is possible if he stays healthy but I don't see top 10 unless they somehow land a stud, which won't happen in trade - at least for Cromartie.

Not sure how "bruising" FatDale is. He's pretty soft.
:shrug: Adams should jump at the chance to trade LenDale but I don't see Cromartie in our future.

JohnnyU said:
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Chargers are "exploring possible trade scenarios" that involve trading CB Antonio Cromartie for a running back.Despite being a four-year starter, Cromartie has fallen out of favor with the Bolts. GM A.J. Smith will have a hard time getting full value for him after his half-hearted attempt at tackling in the playoff loss to the Jets. There were persistent rumors of a Cromartie-for-Tashard Choice deal a week ago, but the Cowboys aren't interested. Mort mentions the Packers as a team looking for corner help, though they'd have to deal a draft pick instead of a player. Source: ESPN.com
Ted Thompson values draft picks above all else. No way Green Bay does that. Maybe they'd send Brandon Jackson or Deshawn Wynn, but not a pick, unless it was a 5th or later.

Jeff Fisher just moved to the edge of his seat.
What RB are they going to deal? Isn't White FA? They don't have much depth behind Johnson. I don't think SD would settle for Javon Ringer - they'd be better off drafting a RB imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
jacobo_moses said:
I have Tashard Choice and M. Lynch in a dynasty league and would love for either of them to go to SD Chargers.
As a Lynch owner I can only hope!I hope he ends up anywhere besides BUF and gets his career back on track!

Any chance the Giants get into the conversation? Could Jacobs or Bradshaw be worth anything in a deal? Especially if Cromartie's value has been hit enough.

Be nice if we could do Norwood, but he's too injury prone and probably too much like what they already have.

Do we pencil in whoever lands in SD for a top-20 and perhaps a top-10 finish? That's a nice offense.
;) San Diego will be more of a passing offense than a running team and the new RB would be in a time share. Top 20 is possible if he stays healthy but I don't see top 10 unless they somehow land a stud, which won't happen in trade - at least for Cromartie.
Who would the new RB be in a timeshare with? Sproles? Sproles wasn't able to steal that many carries from LT (when he was healthy) this year, and LT wasn't good. So how would Sproles steal more carries from a superior RB?

JohnnyU said:
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Chargers are "exploring possible trade scenarios" that involve trading CB Antonio Cromartie for a running back.Despite being a four-year starter, Cromartie has fallen out of favor with the Bolts. GM A.J. Smith will have a hard time getting full value for him after his half-hearted attempt at tackling in the playoff loss to the Jets. There were persistent rumors of a Cromartie-for-Tashard Choice deal a week ago, but the Cowboys aren't interested. Mort mentions the Packers as a team looking for corner help, though they'd have to deal a draft pick instead of a player. Source: ESPN.com
Ted Thompson values draft picks above all else. No way Green Bay does that. Maybe they'd send Brandon Jackson or Deshawn Wynn, but not a pick, unless it was a 5th or later.
How about Brandon Jackson and Cullen Jenkins for Cromartie?

JohnnyU said:
Don't you think the Chargers would want a good RB if they were going to move Cromartie? B. Jackson is a nice back up, but he is FAR from being a quality starter, especially on a contending team that is trying to make a power move.

I would think Cromartie would look good in Carolina and I know DWill would look good in SD.I'm still calling SD or Houston is where DWill is playing next year.
We already have a better tackling CB's in Gamble and Marshall. Just need to re-sign Marshall. Most of the big plays given up by Marshall and Gamble were due to a rookie playing FS and a backup playing SS early in the year.

Titans would have to sign White in March and trade near the draft. Lots of variables there of course.
Not really....Hes an RFA so they just have to extend a base level tender to him. They they are free to trade him to whoever they wish. Only variable is finding a trading partner, but thats the case for all trades.

:loco: San Diego will be more of a passing offense than a running team and the new RB would be in a time share. Top 20 is possible if he stays healthy but I don't see top 10 unless they somehow land a stud, which won't happen in trade - at least for Cromartie.
It is not a given that SD will be a timeshare for RBs. Everyone assumes LT will be released, but many forget Sproles was franchised last year. So the team either has to tag him again, sign him to a contract, or let him walk. I don't think it will happen, but suppose the Chargers traded for Deangelo. They might choose to let both LT and Sproles go and sign Williams to a new deal.

JohnnyU said:
Don't you think the Chargers would want a good RB if they were going to move Cromartie? B. Jackson is a nice back up, but he is FAR from being a quality starter, especially on a contending team that is trying to make a power move.
They probably would.....which is why I offered up a solid DE for them also......but it mainly speaks to what I think of Cromartie.

JohnnyU said:
They probably would.....which is why I offered up a solid DE for them also......but it mainly speaks to what I think of Cromartie.
Fair enough, just not overly impressed with Jackson and wouldn't really see him as much of an upgrade of the collection of guys they currently have.

I could see the Vikings being interested in Cromartie but I would think they would have to trade picks.

:hifive: San Diego will be more of a passing offense than a running team and the new RB would be in a time share. Top 20 is possible if he stays healthy but I don't see top 10 unless they somehow land a stud, which won't happen in trade - at least for Cromartie.
Who would the new RB be in a timeshare with? Sproles? Sproles wasn't able to steal that many carries from LT (when he was healthy) this year, and LT wasn't good. So how would Sproles steal more carries from a superior RB?
I wouldn't be surprised by a time share simply because the way the league goes these days times shares aren't surprising. But I do wonder how much SD as a passing offense was born out of the decline of LT and the inability (real or perceived) to lean on Sproles as a feature back.If SD picked up someone like Lynch, Choice or Williams, might they re-balance their O and thus make said back quite a tasty bet to make in redraft this year?

Cullen Jenkins would be an even trade (CHTV, I did read your post.) If SD wants a pick instead, I would guess 3rd round (#86).
Busted.I'd rather they get a rookie CB in the 2nd than give up a 3rd for Cromartie. I just don't think that much of him.Jenkins probably wouldn't do it because SD runs a 3/4 also. If he doesn't fit that well as a DE in GB's 3/4, I doubt SD would be overjoyed to get him for their defense.We could always take it in another direction though. If SD wants a bigger RB to carry the load the Packers could give them Grant for Cromartie and SD's 2nd round pick. I'll take that if I'm the Packers. Yes please.

I like the two Bush calls the most.

a. Michael was a Kiffin pick and Al hates him because of that. Plus he doesn't have game breaking speed or the "look" of a stud RB so Al hates him for that too. If they were close to trading him to Diego last year for what was reported to be a 3rd rounder, I know Al would give him up for way overhyped, way undisciplined, but uber talented Cromartie. He is a classic Al Davis type of player.

b. Reggie is a complimentary player for NO and will soon be demanding a new contract. I could easily see Payton moving him for AC if Gregg Williams signs off on being able to fit the guy into his pretty complex defense.

Thomas Jones anyone? And before you say 'He's way too old to have that value!", well I say Cromartie don't have much value either. He's overrated, takes too many chances, and will quickly want a big contract. So it's a short term RB for a short term CB. I think the Jets in that blitz from anywhere scheme with the best lockdown CB in the league on the other side could accomodate a CB2 who takes chances.

TJ is cheap, experienced, could step in day1 to produce well and compliment Sproles perfectly, for a win-now team.

JohnnyU said:
I'm sure they'd want a good RB but with Cromartie's weak showing vs. the Jets, I doubt they find one. I don't think the Packers would give much for a guy who can't or won't tackle.

I present to you - Marshawn Lynch... the Bills don't want him, he's a good fit for SD, and the Bills LOVE DBs... they draft one early almost annually.

I present to you - Marshawn Lynch... the Bills don't want him, he's a good fit for SD, and the Bills LOVE DBs... they draft one early almost annually.
I fully support this message. A change of scenary can only help Lynch who has gone sour in Buf from both parties POV. And it's a good move for the SD as I still believe Lynch to be more talent than any RB in this years class. His a big bruising back who can also catch balls out of the backfield and finish at the goal-line. It'd be interesting to see what he can do with an O-line thats not far below average.

Cromartie definitely goes for the INT far too much -- that came as a result of wanting to repeat his 10 INT, pro-bowl season, but he still has value and he's only 25 years old. I'm curious to see what we can pick up for him. A couple of good possibilities have been mentioned here (Lynch, Michael Bush), and I also think the Chargers believe that Marion Barber would make a great complement to Sproles (obviously the Chargers would need to include more to land him). But if AJ doesn't see a deal that he likes, he'll probably flip Cromartie for a pick and I wouldn't rule out the notion of the Chargers trading up to get Spiller.

Cullen Jenkins would be an even trade (CHTV, I did read your post.) If SD wants a pick instead, I would guess 3rd round (#86).
Busted.I'd rather they get a rookie CB in the 2nd than give up a 3rd for Cromartie. I just don't think that much of him.Jenkins probably wouldn't do it because SD runs a 3/4 also. If he doesn't fit that well as a DE in GB's 3/4, I doubt SD would be overjoyed to get him for their defense.We could always take it in another direction though. If SD wants a bigger RB to carry the load the Packers could give them Grant for Cromartie and SD's 2nd round pick. I'll take that if I'm the Packers. Yes please.
I did forget that they run a 3-4.I still think Cromartie is better than most players you'll find in the 3rd round. He would also be an immediate starter in Green Bay, making Tramon Williams the third CB. That sounds pretty good to me.Underwood, Lee, Rouse, Blackmon didn't produce much as DBs for the picks spent on them.

Wow, I guess they have very little interest in the rookie RBs this year...? Or not wanting to burn their 1st rounder on one of the top ones, at least? I bet if CJ Spiller or maybe Jonathan Dwyer fell to them they would consider it... :towelwave:

Anywho, I guess if Cromartie isn't fitting in anymore, it's time to shop him. If they go for a RB though, I would think they would want someone fairly young, not someone like D-Will who is.. 27? Otherwise they'll be in the same boat they are now in 2-3 years.

Why all the talk about trading Jenkins? I thought he played just fine last season?

Users who are viewing this thread