What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moss' Agent says he is going to the Raiders (1 Viewer)

What will hurt is having Kerry Collins throwing him the ball instead of Daunte.  Lots of balls that Daunte gets to him won't ever even leave Kerry's hand.
I don't know if its been covered because I didn't read the entire thread, but I don't know what you're basing the above opinion on.Collins wasn't sacked near as many times as Culpepper was. In fact, Culpepper was sacked almost twice as many times (46) as Collins was (25). That would lead me to believe that Collins would get the ball to Moss better than Culpepper did.

Just my 2 cents.
To be fair, Culpepper did play in 2 more games than Collins did. So if Collins would have been sacked 22 more times in those 2 games, you'd have a good point. :P

BTW, does this move indicate that Fowler will not be the next owner? He had stressed that keeping Moss was a priority of his.
If the trade goes through, you are right that McCombs knows that Fowler is not going to end up with the team. Either that or the deal actually has Fowler's blessing. That way Fowler gets to act like he wanted to keep Moss all along. That way if the trade blows up on the Vikes he can just blame it on McCombs. Especially since he was blathering on about how he wanted to keep Moss.

BTW, does this move indicate that Fowler will not be the next owner?  He had stressed that keeping Moss was a priority of his.
If the trade goes through, you are right that McCombs knows that Fowler is not going to end up with the team. Either that or the deal actually has Fowler's blessing. That way Fowler gets to act like he wanted to keep Moss all along. That way if the trade blows up on the Vikes he can just blame it on McCombs. Especially since he was blathering on about how he wanted to keep Moss.
When I heard about the deal, that was my initial thought. I believe Fowler wanted a way to trade Moss and McCombs was willing to be the fall guy. Now Fowler can say he wanted to keep Moss and the fans will stay happy with him, but something stinks about the timing of this deal. If you are buying a team and really want a player, the current owner isn't going to trade that player right before the sale goes through.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all marketing. Like Vick is the Falcons, Moss is/was the Vikings. Players like that get butts in the seats, eyeballs to the TV and merch flying off the shelves. I watched the Vikings to see Moss, without him what's the point? If I were looking to buy an NFL team I think I'd want one of the best players ever at his position as part of the deal.

...and even if Fowler doesn't get the Vikes, how does getting rid of a $$$$$ player like Moss help Red deal the team?
if Moss was so valuable wouldn't more teams be after him? The real money is in TV rights not jersey selling.I think the Vikes are doing the right thing trading Moss, but they better get more then what is being reported.

It's all marketing. Like Vick is the Falcons, Moss is/was the Vikings. Players like that get butts in the seats, eyeballs to the TV and merch flying off the shelves.
Can't wait to see Randy's Oakland jersey. There's no way in hell that Porter gives up #84, so perhaps Moss will purchase #88 (the number he wore at Marshall) from Doug Jolley. Failing that, he will probably choose some funky number between 10-19 which WRs are now allowed to wear without special permission.

It's all marketing. Like Vick is the Falcons, Moss is/was the Vikings. Players like that get butts in the seats, eyeballs to the TV and merch flying off the shelves.
Can't wait to see Randy's Oakland jersey. There's no way in hell that Porter gives up #84, so perhaps Moss will purchase #88 (the number he wore at Marshall) from Doug Jolley. Failing that, he will probably choose some funky number between 10-19 which WRs are now allowed to wear without special permission.
Maybe he's wear the same 80 Rice wore;)

Latest rumor from Viking land (don't think it has been posted here). The trade is actually much more complex, with Michael Bennett being sent to the Raiders and more Raiders coming to the Vikings, possibly Woodson and/or Porter.Just rumors, but it sounds a lot more realistic in the Vikings' compensation.

Maybe he'll wear the same 80 Rice wore;)
Wouldn't that be something? The best and 2nd-best WRs of all-time wearing the same jersey number for the same team in back-to-back seasons. :popcorn:

Latest rumor from Viking land. The trade is actually much more complex, with Michael Bennett being sent to the Raiders and more Raiders coming to the Vikings, possibly Woodson and/or Porter.
OMG, I actually just think I had an orgasm!:Bennett dynasty owner:Now if I hit the lottery tomorrow, I'm sure to get hit by a truck soon afterwards.

Latest rumor from Viking land (don't think it has been posted here). The trade is actually much more complex, with Michael Bennett being sent to the Raiders and more Raiders coming to the Vikings, possibly Woodson and/or Porter.

Just rumors, but it sounds a lot more realistic in the Vikings' compensation.
This makes a lot more sense... :popcorn:

Latest rumor from Viking land (don't think it has been posted here). The trade is actually much more complex, with Michael Bennett being sent to the Raiders and more Raiders coming to the Vikings, possibly Woodson and/or Porter.

Any link to this?Is this just Viking fans' wishful thinking?

Latest rumor from Viking land (don't think it has been posted here).  The trade is actually much more complex, with Michael Bennett being sent to the Raiders and more Raiders coming to the Vikings, possibly Woodson and/or Porter.

This makes a lot more sense... :popcorn:
When I first heard the deal I was honestly surprised that Woodson wasn't involved, I had read somewhere that Oakland had franchised him with the hope of dealing him. This makes way more sense to me. (Not really a $$ guy here, but I would think this makes more sense cap-wise too?)On the other hand, I could also see this 'new twist' being just wishful thinking by Viking fans that has snowballed into 'reports'.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest rumor from Viking land (don't think it has been posted here).  The trade is actually much more complex, with Michael Bennett being sent to the Raiders and more Raiders coming to the Vikings, possibly Woodson and/or Porter.

It seems to be just a Vike fan's wishful thinking. All the news services are already reporting the deal and no mention of Bennett whatsoever.

The deal as stated is slanted heavily in the Raiders favor. Could there be more to this? What I keep asking myself is this:1. Why would Oak sign Porter if they are getting Moss?2. Why would the Vikings let Moss go so cheap?Call me cynical but this doesn't add up. No way Oak will have Porter, Moss, Curry & Gabriel. (It's unfair to the defenses they will face)If this is all the Vikings get in return then this will fall right in line with the Walker debacle a few years back. Could they be that stupid again?We have not heard the last of this.

Historically, Moss has excelled regardless of who his QB has been.
There are different levels of excellence. Do you expect him to maintain the same with Kerry as with Daunte?
Personally, I do. But I sure hope there are a lot more people out there who think like you. Mabye I will be able to nab Moss as the #3 WR off the board again much like I did 2 years ago! ;) :excited:
:thumbup:

The deal as stated is slanted heavily in the Raiders favor. Could there be more to this? What I keep asking myself is this:

1. Why would Oak sign Porter if they are getting Moss?

2. Why would the Vikings let Moss go so cheap?

Call me cynical but this doesn't add up. No way Oak will have Porter, Moss, Curry & Gabriel. (It's unfair to the defenses they will face)

If this is all the Vikings get in return then this will fall right in line with the Walker debacle a few years back. Could they be that stupid again?

We have not heard the last of this.
And the Raiders wouldn't want to be unfair. :rotflmao: Heck, even if Porter isn't part of this Moss deal look for Oakland to unload him for a 10th rounder or so on draft day. They probably wouldn't be able to sleep at night with that receiving corps.

The deal as stated is slanted heavily in the Raiders favor. Could there be more to this? What I keep asking myself is this:

1. Why would Oak sign Porter if they are getting Moss?

2. Why would the Vikings let Moss go so cheap?

Call me cynical but this doesn't add up. No way Oak will have Porter, Moss, Curry & Gabriel. (It's unfair to the defenses they will face)

If this is all the Vikings get in return then this will fall right in line with the Walker debacle a few years back. Could they be that stupid again?

We have not heard the last of this.
I was cynical the minute I saw the report originated with the Pioneer Press. However, this thing has been going nuclear all day and neither the Raiders or Vikes have said anything to counter it. Maybe the deal isn't going to go down exactly like everyone thinks, but it sure looks like something is going to happen.

Latest rumor from Viking land.  The trade is actually much more complex, with Michael Bennett being sent to the Raiders and more Raiders coming to the Vikings, possibly Woodson and/or Porter.
OMG, I actually just think I had an orgasm!:Bennett dynasty owner:

Now if I hit the lottery tomorrow, I'm sure to get hit by a truck soon afterwards.
Al Davis :wub: Speed

All right, as a Vikings fan I was initially perplexed by this trade, but I just listened to Mort talk about this trade on ESPN radio and I am becoming more comfortable. Mort made the following points:1) According to Mort, the majority of GMs in the league have no interest in having Moss on their team. This helps explain why the offer looks so low. As much as it is hard to believe, no one really wanted to give up much for him.2) Tangibly, Mort believes this trade looks to favor the raiders. Agreed. Intangibly, Mort is not so sure. Moss caused many problems within the overall team chemisty. This is true. The blowout between Birk / Culpepper with Moss after the Washington game walk-off is very well known.When I also take in to account the fact that Moss' salary is $9MM year against a cap figure of $85MM, I start to wonder whether he is worth more than 10% of the Vikings total payroll. He is also not getting any younger. This trade isn't as clear cut as it first seems.

It seems to be just a Vike fan's wishful thinking. All the news services are already reporting the deal and no mention of Bennett whatsoever.
Michael Bennett is NOT a Norv Turner RB. No way the Raiders bring in Bennett as their primary RB.

Michael Bennett is NOT a Norv Turner RB. No way the Raiders bring in Bennett as their primary RB.
-- Dolphins to Sign Frerotte; Eyeing Bennett? --Thu Feb 24, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The Pioneer Press reports Vikings free-agent backup QB Gus Frerotte is expected to sign with the Miami Dolphins, who also, incidentally, might be willing to give the Vikings a third-round draft pick for RB Michael Bennett. Without Moss, the Vikings are expected to emphasize the run more, and it won't be surprising if they try to acquire a durable running back.

RE: Moss' jersey number. Jerry Porter was on the NFL Network yesterday and joked that number 84 is absolutely available for the right price. When asked what the price was, he said, "A ring...if Randy guarantees me a ring, 84 is all his."Porter's joviality during the talk made it crystal clear that #84 is Moss' if he wants it.

Users who are viewing this thread