What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Movies that could have a successful sequel (1 Viewer)

ghostguy123

Footballguy
I know somewhere in here we have talked about movies that we would like to see have a sequel. Different question.
What movies do you think would have a SUCCESSFUL sequel at the box office? Maybe not as good as Top Gun 2 obviously, but also maybe not as bad as I anticipate the Half Baked sequel to be.
Top Gun 2 was huge because the lead character is Tom freakin Cruise, and the original is maybe one of the most quoted cheesefest movies ever. Plus it was an excellent movie. Also helps that most people who saw the original are still alive, so some 1920s movie probably won't work.
So what movie sequel (or even a remake) do you think would make the most money? Obviously I realize money doesn't equal best movie, but the question is just about money.

My guess is ET. I think all the original cast is still alive, and several of them are well known adult actors and actresses.

Interesting question...

The Social Network: A LOT has happened with Facebook, social media and Zuck since this came out

Lady Bird: I would be curious to see what she is up to after college, it was an interesting world with some great characters

Groundhog Day: I personally think it would be a crap movie but it could make some money, totally new younger cast built around the same general premise. Not a full on reboot but just like what if that strange time warp trapped someone else.

My Cousin Vinny: Way too late now but drop Pesci and Tomei into more court cases and mysteries- could have been the new Nick and Nora ripping off like 3 or 4 more sequels.

Interesting question...

The Social Network: A LOT has happened with Facebook, social media and Zuck since this came out

Lady Bird: I would be curious to see what she is up to after college, it was an interesting world with some great characters

Groundhog Day: I personally think it would be a crap movie but it could make some money, totally new younger cast built around the same general premise. Not a full on reboot but just like what if that strange time warp trapped someone else.

My Cousin Vinny: Way too late now but drop Pesci and Tomei into more court cases and mysteries- could have been the new Nick and Nora ripping off like 3 or 4 more sequels.
Groundhog Day would HAVE to have the top three cast from the original. Maybe even the Ned Rierson guy. That's the money draw, because there's plenty of other movies with that same premise.

Speaking of Pesci......Goodfellas 2. However that Netflix movie The Irishman might have killed a lot of the shine for a Goodfellas sequel. That and Pesci Died. Twin brother???

I'm still waiting for 28 Years Later

Bros 2..........too soon??

Another Silence of the Lambs while Mr Hopkins can still do it? Jodie Foster must be in it. The right story, cast, and promotion could cause a flurry.

My Cousin Vinny: Way too late now but drop Pesci and Tomei into more court cases and mysteries- could have been the new Nick and Nora ripping off like 3 or 4 more sequels
I remember a long while back hearing that a sequel was in discussion. The plot was Vinny arguing a case before the Supreme Court. It would be the same fish-out-of-water premise as the original except now in Washington D.C.

Hilarity would ensue.

Groundhog Day would HAVE to have the top three cast from the original. Maybe even the Ned Rierson guy. That's the money draw.
Strongly disagree, there is no more story to tell with the original characters. It's a bad idea because the original just had a magic that can't be replicated. That high concept comedy is difficult to do. I just think there is such a clear story device there that creates a lot of opportunities for how it can be used. Kind of the opposite of the currently trendy multiverse.

I remember a long while back hearing that a sequel was in discussion. The plot was Vinny arguing a case before the Supreme Court. It would be the same fish-out-of-water premise as the original except now in Washington D.C.

Hilarity would ensue.
I think going back to the fish out of water on the first sequel is a big miss. It needs to be reversed, see them in their natural habitat and meet some of their whacky friends and family members. Solving a murder case in the neighborhood would be the route I go.

Fallen

Obviously the John Goodman and Denzel Washington characters are dead, but Denzel's nephew lived and so did the daughter of the cop between Lyons and Spakowski and the Azazel the spirit.

Cast Michael B. Jordan as the nephew all grown up, and he teams up with the daughter as they try to avenge their fathers and uncle.

All The Right Moves:

Stef Djordjevic went on to Cal-Poly and became a standout player and then spent one year in the USFL as a Steve Tasker type gunner on special-teams. From there he went on to become a hugely successful engineer and tech guy in California.

He loses it all during the pandemic and returns to Ampipe after nearly forty years. He visits Coach Nickerson in a retirement home, who tells him the football team is in disarray and needs a new leader. Stef reluctantly accepts the offer to become the head coach.

As Stef returns to the parking lot and his expensive car, he is approached by a scraggly, downtrodden man who reeks of alcohol. It takes Stef a few seconds to recognize him: it is Salvucci.

Salvucci is a broken man. He never got over fumbling at the end of the big game against Walnut Heights, and has spent his life drifting, drunk and unemployed. Stef makes him an assistant coach with the hope that it will bring redemption to a sad life. (I totally cribbed this idea from Dennis Hopper in "Hoosiers").

Stef has never been married and he learns that Lisa Lietzke now lives in Pittsburgh as a high school English teacher, and that she has also never been married. They reunite.

And from there, the story is all the usual adversity/hope and showdown with Walnut Heights.

The final shot of the movie is Coach Nickerson on the sidelines in a wheelchair giving the thumbs up to Stef and Lisa as they embrace on the 50-yard line.

So what movie sequel (or even a remake) do you think would make the most money? Obviously I realize money doesn't equal best movie, but the question is just about money.

I would call the following list shameless cash grabs. I'm not assessing if a good story can be fully mined out from these IPs, but you wanted it strictly about box office and money making potential.

1) Harry Potter Part 8 - Bring back the original three kids as adults in a stand alone story. Will get boycotted because of JK Rowling, but the franchise is basically a money printing machine.

2) Iron Man 4 - Bring back RDJ in a stand alone story that happens pre Infinity War

2A) Iron Man 5 - Lay the seeds to Tom Cruise inheriting the mantle of Iron Man from Iron Man 4. This would be a post End Game story.

3) Avengers 2.5 - Bring back all original Avengers for a stand alone story between Age Of Ultron and Infinity War

4) LOTR Epilogue - In the actual books, the original surviving fellowship spent months together in the outdoors, because they knew their friendship would have to part and likely permanently. Bring back Peter Jackson and put them in a stand alone adventure. I get that everyone is too old now, but it would be a money making machine anyway.

5) The Godfather Part 4 - Leonardo DiCaprio was approached 15-20 years ago to see if he would play young Sonny Corleone. So put in Robert DeNiro as aging Vito Corleone, who is older but not as old as Brando was in the timeline. Use Al Pacino and Andy Garcia in flash forwards for cameos. Build the movie around Sonny, let Scorsese direct it. Use Joe Pesci as the main enemy/antagonist.

6) Interstellar Part 2 - This film has a huge cult following. Christopher Nolan has his own cult following. Astronaut Rust Cohle and the mind numbing actress who shall not be named carry enough star power to carry a film. There is also enough set up at the end of the original to create a sequel. What's interesting is you can bring back Timothee Chalamet in some fashion to replay the role of the son, because that will cash in on his ability to drag in the teen audience/women and cash in on the Dune hype.

7) Alien 3/Colonial Marines - Just let James Cameron do a sequel to Aliens. Call Alien 3 a dream sequence while Ripley was in Cryo Sleep and wipe out all the other movies from the canon. Bring back Sigourey Weaver and Michael Biehn as older versions of their characters. In charge of a lot of Colonial Marines. Have them invade the Aliens homeworld. Make it a full on war/siege.

8) Predator 3 - Wipe out all films after Predator 2 from canon and the timeline. Have Arnie return as Dutch. Have the ship from the end of Predator 2 ( There were 7-8 Predators in that scene) capture Dutch. Have the entire movie about Dutch trying to escape the ship in space while fighting multiple Predators. Change the format. Now Dutch has to hunt them while trying to find the escape shuttle. Make it essentially like System Shock 2 in spirit. Bring back Danny Glover and Adam Baldwin in cameos.

9) Tropic Thunder 2: The Les Grossman Story - Bring back Tom Cruise as Les Grossman and spend the entire movie with him. Full on satire/comedy. You can bring back the original Tropic cast in supporting parts.

4) LOTR Epilogue - In the actual books, the original surviving fellowship spent months together in the outdoors, because they knew their friendship would have to part and likely permanently. Bring back Peter Jackson and put them in a stand alone adventure. I get that everyone is too old now, but it would be a money making machine anyway.
No. Jackson cut The Scouring Of The Shire and thus changed (or, shortchanged) the entire arc of the four Hobbits. Plus, having Aragorn say "niggard" in a film today wouldn't play very well.

I so wanted a World War Z sequel. It was in the works for quite a bit, but the script and director issues forced it to be scrapped.

I am a Brad Pitt fan (yeah I admit that) and I liked his character. As someone who has read Brook's book several times, the movie was obviously very loosely based on it but I liked what they did. However, it was disappointing they spent so much time on the lab portion of the movie, which came at the expense of a 20 minute Russian battle scene (that was supposedly off the hook amazing) being cut from the film.

There was a movie called "Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan" that came out about 15 years ago. Russian director. It was supposed to be the first of a trilogy that never happened. Awesome movie that would / could have been part of a great trilogy. The second installment got bogged down in funding, was declared dead, then revived, died again, then re-started, etc. etc. Would be awesome.

Groundhog Day would HAVE to have the top three cast from the original. Maybe even the Ned Rierson guy. That's the money draw.
Strongly disagree, there is no more story to tell with the original characters. It's a bad idea because the original just had a magic that can't be replicated. That high concept comedy is difficult to do. I just think there is such a clear story device there that creates a lot of opportunities for how it can be used. Kind of the opposite of the currently trendy multiverse.
New cast = better movie probably.
Old cast = bigger box office numbers most likely

I so wanted a World War Z sequel. It was in the works for quite a bit, but the script and director issues forced it to be scrapped.
This one could be big, and obviously woulda been even bigger had they done it several years ago.
Walking Dead is ruining the appeal for zombie stuff

No. Jackson cut The Scouring Of The Shire and thus changed (or, shortchanged) the entire arc of the four Hobbits. Plus, having Aragorn say "niggard" in a film today wouldn't play very well.

The premise was about making as much money as possible and causing a massive impact at the box office around the world.

Obviously a LOTR story just focusing on the epilogue, sans the Scouring, is a very thin plot/core premise. But people would come in droves to pay to see what would happen.

Bringing back the old cast would generate lots of excitement. Thought John Rhys Davies would probably need a stand in actor and he'd do the voice overs for the character.

Here's an alternative -

10) Aragorn The Ranger - Follow his exploits before the LOTR timeline in some other stand alone adventure. Starring Daniel Day Lewis. Directed by Alfonso Cuaron. So thematically make it like a "prestige" fantasy film. A deep character study. Children Of Men was a mess of a book. I mean structurally. But Cuaron made it work on screen. Clive Owen is a middling actor, but still Cuaron made it work. That film is devastating in terms of total impact. Get someone like Dennis Lehane to write the script.

DDL was Peter Jackson's original choice for Aragorn and he has his own cult following as an actor. Is there any role he can't play? Make the script good enough and focus less on appealing to a younger broad audience and you've got money in the bank.

I understand that die hard fans and long time readers want authenticity to canon. But again, the premise here in this thread is as much cash money as possible. I said it in my other reply, that the actual storytelling potential for my list of sequels is probably limited. But that's true of just about every sequel out there.

I've never understood why they haven't tried. There were a thousand people on that boat. Tell the stories of some of the others. Easy. Some of the third class passengers. The guys in the boiler room. Heck they could even set a murder mystery on board. The ticking clock as everyone in the audience knows the boat is doomed in the third act would be a great plot device to power a dozen good movies.

11) No Country For Old Men 2 / Fargo 2 - Combine them in the same Coen Brothers world building in a single sequel for both. The psychotic hitman from NCFOM versus the cop from Fargo.

You can add in others into the "world" as cameos. Raising Arizona could bring Holly Hunter and Nicholas Cage in, etc, etc. Maybe someone from Lebowski, etc, etc.

Imagine if Anton is sent to kill William H Macy's character in Fargo, because he has some clues on Josh Brolin's character's whereabouts from NCFOM. Then also kills the son, Scotty too. Then kills the cop's husband. You could have old Tommy Lee Jones team up with Marge Gunderson while people all around that little town are being slaughtered in a cat and mouse game.

There was a movie called "Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan" that came out about 15 years ago. Russian director. It was supposed to be the first of a trilogy that never happened. Awesome movie that would / could have been part of a great trilogy. The second installment got bogged down in funding, was declared dead, then revived, died again, then re-started, etc. etc. Would be awesome.
Is there a good/great Genghis Khan movie or tv show? I read a historical fiction trilogy about him that was really entertaining and I'd love to go the movie route. I'll have to check Mongol out now for sure, but is there anythign else out there? Such a great story.

Users who are viewing this thread