What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Movies that could have a successful sequel (1 Viewer)

There was a movie called "Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan" that came out about 15 years ago. Russian director. It was supposed to be the first of a trilogy that never happened. Awesome movie that would / could have been part of a great trilogy. The second installment got bogged down in funding, was declared dead, then revived, died again, then re-started, etc. etc. Would be awesome.
Is there a good/great Genghis Khan movie or tv show? I read a historical fiction trilogy about him that was really entertaining and I'd love to go the movie route. I'll have to check Mongol out now for sure, but is there anythign else out there? Such a great story.

I'm not aware of any good movies or tv shows on this topic but am interested if you find one. I got into this one after listening to Dan Carlin's awesome series on Khan and went looking for a good movie. Since this one was the first of a planned trilogy, it only covers the very beginning of his life. Khan and the Mongols would be a great topic for a big budget movie or television series.

I’d love to see Conan the Barbarian with Conan as an old war horse sitting atop the throne. Arnold reprising his role as Conan.

Jokingling i would have suggested Blazing Saddles, but that already crashed and burned with a 1975 TV movie Black Bart. But there actually may be some ripeness for politically incorrect humor.

The Shining sequel could have been good, but that was recently tried in a movie called Doctor Sleep which did not fare that well. Probably because Stephen King really never embraced Kubrick's interpretation.

Jokingling i would have suggested Blazing Saddles, but that already crashed and burned with a 1975 TV movie Black Bart. But there actually may be some ripeness for politically incorrect humor.

The Shining sequel could have been good, but that was recently tried in a movie called Doctor Sleep which did not fare that well. Probably because Stephen King really never embraced Kubrick's interpretation.
Too bad it didn't do well, it was pretty good. It did a good job of balancing itself between the movie and the book. It manages to be a sequel to both.

There was a movie called "Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan" that came out about 15 years ago. Russian director. It was supposed to be the first of a trilogy that never happened. Awesome movie that would / could have been part of a great trilogy. The second installment got bogged down in funding, was declared dead, then revived, died again, then re-started, etc. etc. Would be awesome.
Is there a good/great Genghis Khan movie or tv show? I read a historical fiction trilogy about him that was really entertaining and I'd love to go the movie route. I'll have to check Mongol out now for sure, but is there anythign else out there? Such a great story.

I'm not aware of any good movies or tv shows on this topic but am interested if you find one. I got into this one after listening to Dan Carlin's awesome series on Khan and went looking for a good movie. Since this one was the first of a planned trilogy, it only covers the very beginning of his life. Khan and the Mongols would be a great topic for a big budget movie or television series.
If you're a reader, check this series out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conqueror_(novel_series)

Dunno about sequels, but I could go for a prequel:

Second-to-last of the Mohicans.

(It’s mostly just 3 hours of dudes loading muskets in preparation for Daniel Day Lewis killing them before they get to shoot them, btu the soundtrack s awesome.)

I so wanted a World War Z sequel. It was in the works for quite a bit, but the script and director issues forced it to be scrapped.

I am a Brad Pitt fan (yeah I admit that) and I liked his character. As someone who has read Brook's book several times, the movie was obviously very loosely based on it but I liked what they did. However, it was disappointing they spent so much time on the lab portion of the movie, which came at the expense of a 20 minute Russian battle scene (that was supposedly off the hook amazing) being cut from the film.
World War Z should be an HBO show. 10-13 episodes and start each one with the beginning of an interview of one of the main characters.

Last Starfighter's already been said.

Two that I really thought would get a sequel would be: True Lies and Galaxy Quest. Both did well. Both had good/great talent attached.....and both lent themselves to a sequel. Why the hell was Bill Paxton there at the end if he REALLY wasn't Carlos the Jackal. Galaxy Quest still could be done just by making Galaxy Quest: The Next Generation.

All The Right Moves:

Stef Djordjevic went on to Cal-Poly and became a standout player and then spent one year in the USFL as a Steve Tasker type gunner on special-teams. From there he went on to become a hugely successful engineer and tech guy in California.

He loses it all during the pandemic and returns to Ampipe after nearly forty years. He visits Coach Nickerson in a retirement home, who tells him the football team is in disarray and needs a new leader. Stef reluctantly accepts the offer to become the head coach.

As Stef returns to the parking lot and his expensive car, he is approached by a scraggly, downtrodden man who reeks of alcohol. It takes Stef a few seconds to recognize him: it is Salvucci.

Salvucci is a broken man. He never got over fumbling at the end of the big game against Walnut Heights, and has spent his life drifting, drunk and unemployed. Stef makes him an assistant coach with the hope that it will bring redemption to a sad life. (I totally cribbed this idea from Dennis Hopper in "Hoosiers").

Stef has never been married and he learns that Lisa Lietzke now lives in Pittsburgh as a high school English teacher, and that she has also never been married. They reunite.

And from there, the story is all the usual adversity/hope and showdown with Walnut Heights.

The final shot of the movie is Coach Nickerson on the sidelines in a wheelchair giving the thumbs up to Stef and Lisa as they embrace on the 50-yard line.
Oscar Winner

Last Starfighter's already been said.

Two that I really thought would get a sequel would be: True Lies and Galaxy Quest. Both did well. Both had good/great talent attached.....and both lent themselves to a sequel. Why the hell was Bill Paxton there at the end if he REALLY wasn't Carlos the Jackal. Galaxy Quest still could be done just by making Galaxy Quest: The Next Generation.
There actually was a Galaxy Quest sequel that bounced around in development for a while but Rickman’s untimely death stopped it completely. One of the streaming sites was going to make a tv show was the last update I think before Rickman’s passing. There is a really good documentary on the original movie that is worth watching if you are a fan and mentions it as well.

Not sure you could get it done now with the original cast, Tim Allen is out of favor these days for having gone full MAGA Trump. Similar with someone’s suggestion of a Serenity 2. Between Whedon’s issues and Baldwin being an alt-right conspiracy theorist, be tough to get that gang back together.

My first thought was Ferris Bueller's Day off. A now aging Ferris has a daughter that overachieves at high school, studying 24/7, and is about to burn out, when Ferris puts his foot down, and makes her take a day off of school, calling in Cameron to help. Mia Sara can be a part of things if she wants, but hasn't done anything in a while. You could do Chicago again, as Ferris tries to recreate "his day" but finds a lot of the activities out dated or just not there anymore.

Checking Wikipedia for ages, I see that Alan Rusk has even a better idea:
"But just for fun," said Ruck, "I used to think why don't they wait until Matthew and I are in our seventies and do Ferris Bueller Returns and have Cameron be in a nursing home. He doesn't really need to be there, but he just decided his life is over, so he committed himself to a nursing home. And Ferris comes and breaks him out. And they go to, like, a titty bar and all this ridiculous stuff happens. And then, at the end of the movie, Cameron dies."

Friday the 13th
For the 13th time??

Ferris Bueller certainly has potential for a huge box office. Shouldn't even need to be any sort of big budget either.
There are a lot like that which lend themselves to a "where did they end up 30-40 years later" treatment. All the John Hughes/Cameron Crowe teen films, Reality Bites, etc. Don't know that I'd want to see them, particularly if they went sentimental rather than realistic/cynical, but those seem like easy pickings.

The Last Starfighter: Coming Home

The Armada has been rebuilt, and seeks revenge on Earth and its people.

There is one in development but it doesn't look promising it will shoot. As an aside, the writer, Gary Whitta, released a podcast called "Gun Dog" (which is basically an audito book) because of difficulty getting new sci fi IP made in Hollywood. The podcast is pretty good so far, I'm about half way through.

Shawshank Reloaded - Andy and Red team up to dig another tunnel
And we finally learn how Andy got that poster back up on the wall.
Maybe that tar from the roofing scene came in handy later on for some homemade sticky tack. But if the poster was attached from the top only, it's still plausible.

In the sequel Shawshank Reloaded, they end up digging tunnels for the cartel with giant rock hammers hidden inside industrial food trucks. And no posters are harmed in the process.

Shawshank Reloaded - Andy and Red team up to dig another tunnel

I can do this one easy.

Captain Hadley (Clancy Brown) went to prison at the end of Shawshank. While he got locked up, and Bob Gunton's Warden character shot himself, have a lot of the other regular guards in the original Shawshank lose their jobs and pensions over the huge scandal that broke out. There wasn't enough to convict them, but enough to get them booted out of their career.

Andy and Red are living the life in hiding, but it's getting harder and harder to stay hidden as technology improves. Both are in separate relationships that are fractured because they have to keep up with the lies. Then Hadley orchestrates the kidnapping of Brooks' granddaughter. (Who never understood why Grandpa hung himself) Andy had been supporting her financially in secret all this time. The kidnappers are the other guards who were fired, whom are desperate, and whom have been convinced by Hadley that Andy is still out there and has all that huge money that the Warden stole hidden away, and if they can just get it, it will set them all up for life and make up for them losing their careers, pensions and reputations.

Hadley gets a message to Andy and Red via their former prison mate Snooze ( David Proval, yes, it's Richie Aprile himself) Whom is murdered delivering it to them. Hadley will release the girl, in exchange for all the money PLUS breaking Hadley out of prison.

Hadley is sending two more men to help Andy and Red on the outside. Bogs Diamond ( Mark Rolston) now in a wheelchair but knows the river way/lakes/ocean and this escape needs a boat. And Heywood ( William Sadler) who got out, and is being blackmailed by Hadley, but is also resentful that Andy and Red never helped him and found him to help him as he was basically destitute.

The man Red killed to get his long prison sentence had a son, who grew up, and is a US Marshal, hot on the tail on Red and Andy.

Can Andy do it again? Can he pull another complex caper out of his sleeve and out of thin air? Can he save Brook's granddaughter, keep Red and himself free and out of prison, help Heywood, break Hadley out of prison, stop Hadley for good, get all those old prison guards dealt with and find a way to resolve the conflict between Red and his former victim's son, who is hot in pursuit?

What happens when Andy has to choose between his own freedom, saving Red from harm, and saving the grand daughter? Who will he pick?

Edit - Time to add in cameos. The Warden of this new prison where Hadley is staying is Tom Hanks. From The Green Mile

The supervisor for the Marshal's office is Timothy Olyphant, from Justified

Wil Wheaton or Richard Dreyfus make a cameo appearance as Gordie LaChance from Stand By Me

Marcia Gay Harden as Miss Carmody, from The Mist ( events here happen before The Mist's timeline)

Steven Yeun returns as Glenn, pre "The Walking Dead" timeline.

These cameos connect back to the Stephen King world building and all of Darabont's other works besides Shawshank.

Last edited:
I so wanted a World War Z sequel. It was in the works for quite a bit, but the script and director issues forced it to be scrapped.

I am a Brad Pitt fan (yeah I admit that) and I liked his character. As someone who has read Brook's book several times, the movie was obviously very loosely based on it but I liked what they did. However, it was disappointing they spent so much time on the lab portion of the movie, which came at the expense of a 20 minute Russian battle scene (that was supposedly off the hook amazing) being cut from the film.
This is the one I was going to suggest, too.

My wife had a chance to meet PItt. She had some car troubles while parked on the street in front of where she worked (Frank Lloyd Wright Home & Studio in Oak Park, IL). A limo pulled up to park, and she was blocking some of the room the limo needed. Driver gets out to see if she can move ...Brad Pitt gets out to see what's holding things up. He was there to shoot a scene for one of the Ocean movies. My wife was so busy bitching about the car problem that she didn't take the time to meet Pitt. SMH

I’d love to see Conan the Barbarian with Conan as an old war horse sitting atop the throne. Arnold reprising his role as Conan.
Well there was a sequel to this so :unsure:
True. I guess I'd like to see a continuation of the Robert E Howard Conan character. Seeing an aging Arnold would be both nostalgic and interesting. I'm pretty sure one of the movies has a short clip in it foreshadowing Conan sitting atop the throne. I know books and comics have been written in this regard.

We watched The Shining over the weekend and Dr. Sleep about a month ago.

Dr. Sleep is a better intepretation of the original spirit of the novel. The Shining movie will always be a classic....but I agree with Kings take on it in regards to his story. Kind of surprised noone has licensed Kings books for an anthology series ala American Horror. A 13 episode season of The Shining or Salem's Lot would be money.

Marco Polo on Netlix. Probably 24 episodes. Historical fiction so don't plan on an accurate account, but it's fun.

Dr. Sleep is a better intepretation of the original spirit of the novel. The Shining movie will always be a classic....but I agree with Kings take on it in regards to his story. Kind of surprised noone has licensed Kings books for an anthology series ala American Horror. A 13 episode season of The Shining or Salem's Lot would be money.
Midnight Mass on Netflix. It wasn't written by Stephen King, but it could have been. This has to be the most Stephen-King-like thing that didn't actually involve Stephen King himself.

Midnight Mass on Netflix. It wasn't written by Stephen King, but it could have been. This has to be the most Stephen-King-like thing that didn't actually involve Stephen King himself.

That was one of the better things I saw in horror last year. I haven't watched Mike Flanagans other three shows but I heard (at least) the first two are good.

Dead Poets Society II

Kurtwood Smith's character, Perry Sr, is trying to get past the suicide of his son ( Robert Sean Leonard) from the first film.

He finds out his son wrote a play in secret before he died, but no one knows where it is or if it can ever be found. Ethan Hawke and Josh Charles have roles as Perry Sr tries to track down the last words of his son and goes back to his former classmates to find out what they know.

Perry Sr finally reaches out to John Keating ( the character is still alive) Robin Williams will be "deep faked" for one good long scene with Kurtwood Smith. It will be advertised as the last true appearance of Robin Williams ever, and approved of by his estate.

Keating gives him the clues to find the script of the play. All along the way, during the journey, Perry Sr has phone calls with Hawke, Charles and Keating, undergoing his pain, grief and anger over what happened. He has to face the worst parts of himself and accept that he cannot no longer blame others for his burdens.

Perry Sr finds the play finally. He realizes his son dedicated it to his father. He accepts his role in his son's death and forgives himself. Flash forward and Perry Sr spends everything he has to put on a production of this play. He sells everything. Hawke and Charles play the roles of the Keating inspired character and the angry father character.

The film ends with a cameo from Robert Sean Leonard, appearing to sit in the crowd as the end during the applause, smiling at his father.

Batman III

Take Tim Burton's Batman series, and remove all the other films out of canon except for the Michael Keaton movies.

The Joker survived that fall from the first Batman film. So bring back Jack Nicholson as The Joker, but now aged and inside Arkham Asylum. Some of the Joker's henchmen have kidnapped a school bus full of children.

In an interview room, is where the majority of this film happens. A cat and mouse game where both Batman, a return for Keaton, and Nicholson both take turns being the interrogator and the prey. Have the script written by Aaron Sorkin and David Mamet.

Have The Joker willing to negotiate as Bob The Goon survived the first film as well, survived being shot by Joker, then is also put in Arkham and now runs the place from the inside like a mob boss. It's only a matter of time before his assassins get to Joker for revenge.

Create a misdirect. While the interrogation is going on, it's a lure to get Batman out of the main city as assassins go to kill Commissioner Gordon, Vicki Vale, Harvey Dent ( Billy Dee Williams in a cameo) and Alfred.

Bob The Goon is found out to be running a fake feud with Joker, in an attempt to break out together. It looks like a breakout and then Joker stops. Let's Bob escape, because he owes him for being his No#1 henchman for so long. Batman then catches up with Joker, who shows video of Vale and Dent dead and Alfred with a gun to his head. Either Batman can pick up a guard's gun and shoot the Joker dead, or Alfred will die. Batman, desperate to save Alfred, shoots Joker to death. Violating all his personal codes of "justice" The Joker admits that he wanted to die, but he wanted to break Batman's soul first before he left this Earth.

Later Batman finds that Alfred was already murdered, and the video shown was a tape recording of when Alfred was captured and still alive. The school bus was rigged with a bomb, so when Batman gets to it, it detonates, killing the Mayor, many high ranking Gotham police and all of the children inside save one of them. The city is rioting and in chaos as Joker has engineered attacks everywhere once Gordon was killed and Bob is wreaking pure havoc and destruction everywhere.

( "Deep Fakes" for brief scenes for Michael Gough and Pat Hingle. Cameo by Timothee Chalamet as The Green Arrow, for a potential spin off film, fighting to save the city. Cameo by Jake Lloyd as the Bus Driver. Cameo by Kevin Costner as the ultra Beta male limp wristed Arkham janitor, whom is beaten to death by Poison Ivy. Billy Dee is found dead with a pair of Colt 45 pistols in his hands. Because Billy Dee knows Colt 45s )

The only survivor of the bus bombing is a little boy, that the Joker intentionally saved by putting him into a special bomb proof bunker inside the bus. Batman runs the child's profile. He has the markings of pure insanity, like the Joker himself, because he is Jack Napier's grandson. Batman decides to take him in and raise him on his own, as Alfred would have done. The boy's name is Jason Todd.

Ghostbusters III

Venkman and Stantz are near retirement. They are training a new generation of high tech young by the book Ghostbusters. Funded by the business success of their friend and former partner, Winston Zeddemore, who is now an Elon Musk type billionaire who has built a lunar colony on the Moon.

Ray Stantz realizes the containment unit is showing exponential growth of ghosts inside. They are multiplying at an out of control rate and will breach out at some point soon. He has a theory to stop this from happening, which would otherwise flood the entire Earth with lethal and dangerous ghosts.

Ray has an idea. He knows Egon and himself built a theoretical failsafe for the containment unit at the start. Except it can only be triggered on the inside at three different points by three different people. But ghosts, not humans. It would trigger a purge where a hidden Egon created ghost AI, a cannibal one, would be let loose to consume every other ghost. But it's really dangerous, because that AI ghost might go out of control and become a powerful "Voltron" of ghosts.

The new young Ghostbusters are ambushed on a call and all are killed. Ray, Peter and Winston realize there are evil forces at work, to cause a breach of the containment unit. Someone on the outside, a human, is also working against them. So Ray sets up the three of them to be put into a cryochamber, where they will "die" and become ghosts, to enter the unit and trigger the failsafe. Ray says there's no guarantee that they can get out of the cryo death chamber, and they might be stuck as ghosts forever.

Sigourney Weaver's character is now Governor of New York. She used the status and wealth of the Ghostbusters plus Zeddemore's help to climb the political ladder. Janine and Louis both work for her as high ranking officials. She decides on a backup plan. The containment unit will be moved to a nearby space rocket launch , where it will fired into space, to save humanity if the original Ghostbusters fail.

Inside, Peter finds out that Egon's ghost is running the community of ghosts inside the containment. They are a thriving eco system, where ghosts live and work and raise ghost families. The ghost count increasing is simply the normal active population increasing and expanding inside the containment. Egon is married and has ghost kids now. He begs Peter and Ray not to set off the failsafe. That he promises he can keep the ghost in order and they can live in harmony with humans once the ghosts breach containment. Winston confronts all three, saying he was always the fourth wheel, he was neglected as a true partner and but all of them were glad to take his money and wealth when it helped them. And that he can't trust ghosts and he can't trust that this is the Egon they all remember.

Egon's wife is pregnant and expecting soon. That one birth of the new ghost will create the tipping point to cause a breach of the containment. Weaver sends Janine and Louis Tully to watch over the cryo chambers as the containment unit is loaded into a shuttle and rocket. Janine's eyes glow as she murders Louis and unplugs the three original Ghostbusters, killing them and trapping them in the containment forever. The traitor has been found.

Winston finds the AI and attempts to release it, but finds out that Egon has reprogrammed it. It kills Winston and then accidentally kills Ray too. Only Peter is left. Peter and Egon fight.

The shuttle is launched. Janine tries to set off the containment on her own before the launch but Weaver kills her first. But the conflict causes the shuttle to go out of control, and the containment is now adrift in space. The containment lands on the lunar colony as Egon's new child is born, setting off the final tipping point, and breaching the containment. The entire colony is over run with evil ghosts.

Which was the plan all along. A new home for all the evil ghosts. And when the time is right, they'll head back to Earth and take over. Governor Weaver's eyes glow red. Now you realize she was never healed from the first film, she was always under the control of Zuul from the beginning. And this was the long term plan. She double crossed Janine, who was the misdirect as the sleeper agent/turncoat. Peter demands for Egon to explain how he could end the human race like that. Egon simply says he loves his family too much. Peter says he and Ray and Winston were his family. Egon says psychiatry and cunnilingus brought us to this place as the Christopher Moltisanti and Bobby Bacala ghosts show up to lead the new evil regime.

The film end with Peter finally in control of the AI, and sits with the kill switch in his hands, thinking about whether to set loose the purge to save humanity but kill off Egon and his new happy family.

( Cameos by Michael Imperoli, Steven Schirippa, Vincent Pastore, David Proval and Jason Cerbone as Jackie Aprile Jr from The Sopranos. Cameo by Bobby Brown as a drug dealer ghost in containment. Cameo by Kevin Costner as the pathetic rodeo clown ghost named Fredo Dutton)

World War Z should be an HBO show. 10-13 episodes and start each one with the beginning of an interview of one of the main characters.
Ive been saying this for years - WWZ is a fantastic book that had almost nothing to do with the movie except the title. An HBO series would be perfect for this - Ma Brooks sold his soul signing it over to Pitt where its been in Hollywood limbo!

Users who are viewing this thread