What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Fitness Pal (1 Viewer)

GREAT info CC.. thanks for taking the time to post it. MIght have to give it a shot. As an aside... Weighed in today... 11lbs, one beltloop and counting. Feel fantastic this AM for some reason.Pretty stoked about softball/kickball season coming up. Should be substantially quicker/less winded on the bases. Considering comitting to a 5k this spring just to lock in a "goal".

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and if anyone has a Trader Joe's near them, check out their nitrate-free uncured chicken hot dogs. Pair those with some light hot dog buns from Jewel, some kraut, onions, and mustard, and you can have an incredibly filling 3-4 hot dog meal for just 450-600 calories. I barely feel hungry for the rest of the day after a lunch like that. Feels like a massive amount of food, yet it only consumes around 33% of my daily allowance.
Sounds awesome... Can you get the Jewel light hot dog buns at Trader Joe's also?
Nope, TJ's doesn't have great lite buns. Many grocery stores have them though. When I lived in Houston the local Hostess bakery outlet had them too.

So read in here a couple times about shopping the outside aisles. Makes sense as I know I get too much sodium in what I deal daily for what MFP says I should (but only category I'm bad on, do good on carbs, fat, protein, and chol). Thing that always hangs me up from doing it is it just seems like more of a pain in the butt. Right now I eat four small things during the workdays (1200 cals day setting).7:00 - Muffin from just add muffin mix (Make on Sunday night and good for week)9:30 - 100% of daily Vit C Fruit Snacks (grab and go)11:30 - Nutrigrain bar (grab and go)2:00 - Package of Peanut Butter Crackers (grab and go)So if I shop the aisles, I feel like I'd either be looking at much more prep time, shopping time (as these items I can stock up for a month at a time easy), and/or frequent trips to the break room to get stuff from the fridge/use microwave.What would be the easiest way to keep eating every few hours without relying on grab and go items? Right now I eat about 650 Cal at work and would like to continue eating 4 times during the day in small doses. Lost 12.5 pounds since Jan 7th so seem to be losing weight fine so far. But would it be better if I dumped some/all of those items for other stuff?Thanks for any advice

So read in here a couple times about shopping the outside aisles. Makes sense as I know I get too much sodium in what I deal daily for what MFP says I should (but only category I'm bad on, do good on carbs, fat, protein, and chol). Thing that always hangs me up from doing it is it just seems like more of a pain in the butt. Right now I eat four small things during the workdays (1200 cals day setting).7:00 - Muffin from just add muffin mix (Make on Sunday night and good for week)9:30 - 100% of daily Vit C Fruit Snacks (grab and go)11:30 - Nutrigrain bar (grab and go)2:00 - Package of Peanut Butter Crackers (grab and go)So if I shop the aisles, I feel like I'd either be looking at much more prep time, shopping time (as these items I can stock up for a month at a time easy), and/or frequent trips to the break room to get stuff from the fridge/use microwave.What would be the easiest way to keep eating every few hours without relying on grab and go items? Right now I eat about 650 Cal at work and would like to continue eating 4 times during the day in small doses. Lost 12.5 pounds since Jan 7th so seem to be losing weight fine so far. But would it be better if I dumped some/all of those items for other stuff?Thanks for any advice
Eating healthy isn't *just* about losing weight and counting calories. You're missing a lot of nutrients from real food that you just aren't getting from the processed stuff that you're eating. You can lose weight eating junk if you keep calories low enough, but overall health, the body's ability to fight off bad stuff, and the ability of the processed crap to give you cancer are dependent on what you stuff your face with. Fruits and vegetables are great snack food. Have an apple instead of the nutrigrain bar. A banana in place of the peanut butter crackers. Some carrots instead of the fruit snacks. You still get sweet, sugary food, only it's packaged by nature and will be a lot easier on your system. Just downloaded the myfitnesspal app today. Not really sure where to start in this thread.

I know that having some "bad" days are inevitable. For example, I had 3700 calories on Super Bowl Sunday, 2000 of which were beer. Is it a problem to regularly have one really bad day a week? I end up under my goal in total for the week, but I have a lot of Saturdays where I'm 1200 or more calories over my goal.
Tim Ferriss, in the 4 hour body, actually promotes one "cheat day" per week where you eat as much as you possibly can. Do you have a kindle?PS - I get 1600 calories/day. Today was 1200 food/400 booze. :hifive:

I know that having some "bad" days are inevitable. For example, I had 3700 calories on Super Bowl Sunday, 2000 of which were beer. Is it a problem to regularly have one really bad day a week? I end up under my goal in total for the week, but I have a lot of Saturdays where I'm 1200 or more calories over my goal.
Tim Ferriss, in the 4 hour body, actually promotes one "cheat day" per week where you eat as much as you possibly can. Do you have a kindle?PS - I get 1600 calories/day. Today was 1200 food/400 booze. :hifive:
#### cheating. If you schedule it, it will become habit and this is about breaking the bad ones, not promoting them. If you have a bad day, you have a bad day. It's a marathon not a sprint. Make up for it over the rest of the week, eat a little less each day to cover what you over indulged with and you will promote not wanting to over eat again. As for in between meal snacks I'm. A big fan of Walmarts Indulgent Trail mix with added craisins because, well, I'm addicted to them. One serving is 150 calories and fills you up, gives you some good stuff (fruits & nuts) and some sweet stuff (3 different kind of chocolate chips) to "indulge" the sweet tooth. I go through bags of this stuff every week. Serving size is one small Dixie cup, through it in a ziplock snack bag, wa la.

So if I shop the aisles, I feel like I'd either be looking at much more prep time, shopping time (as these items I can stock up for a month at a time easy), and/or frequent trips to the break room to get stuff from the fridge/use microwave.

What would be the easiest way to keep eating every few hours without relying on grab and go items? Right now I eat about 650 Cal at work and would like to continue eating 4 times during the day in small doses.
I bought THESE and use them to pre-make 5 salads and a large batch of tuna salad every sunday evening. Voila. There's lunches during the week. In a second container I house 2 boiled eggs for breakfast (again, pre-boiled on sunday while I'm making the salads) and a cup or so of some type of berries for lunch. I keep a tub of instant oatmeal (microwave half full coffee cup of water for 90 seconds, stir in oatmeal and one pack of splenda) plus a bag of pistachos, sunflower seeds in my desk for impromptu snacking.

TOTAL PREP TIME EACH SUNDAY: Maybe 30 minutes...max. If I take my time. 5 tubs with spinach, cucumber, green pepper, and tomato wedges. Boil 18 eggs.

EACH DAY I GRAB:

BREAKFAST : 2 Hard boiled organic free range eggs, cup of fruit (straw/blue/rasbberries) (225 calories total)

MID AM SNACK: Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt (80 calories)

LUNCH: Good sized salad with good sized scoop of tuna salad (made with light miracle whip, sweet relish, celery, black pepper, garlic powder, and tony C's seasoning) and a bit of Kroger Fat Free Italian Dressing (275 calories)

MID PM SNACK : Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt (80 Calories)

RANDOM SNACK: Apple or Orange (80 calories) or Mozzerella String Cheese (80 calories) both kept in office fridge.

TOTAL: 730 calories and they fit into two small plastic containers and slide neatly into my laptop bag every morning. Takes me about 2 minutes to grab what I need and load it up and I'm out the door. :thumbup:

It's VERY easy to do as long as you plan ahead. Nothing requires cooking (except the oatmeal which I rarely touch), and I only make 1 trip per day to the break room fridge (lunch where I grab my salad, yogurt, and fruit/cheese). I'm generally in there every hour or two to get a big cup of water or coffee anyway :)

Eating healthy isn't *just* about losing weight and counting calories. You're missing a lot of nutrients from real food that you just aren't getting from the processed stuff that you're eating. You can lose weight eating junk if you keep calories low enough, but overall health, the body's ability to fight off bad stuff, and the ability of the processed crap to give you cancer are dependent on what you stuff your face with. Fruits and vegetables are great snack food. Have an apple instead of the nutrigrain bar. A banana in place of the peanut butter crackers. Some carrots instead of the fruit snacks. You still get sweet, sugary food, only it's packaged by nature and will be a lot easier on your system. Just downloaded the myfitnesspal app today. Not really sure where to start in this thread.
:goodposting: Prep time is a #####, but shop well and you can greatly minimize it for snacking purposes. My work day goes as follows8:00 in office8:30 oatmeal + banana10:00 apple or orange11:30 greek yogurt + berriesworkout over lunch, stop at home mix up a protein shake on the way back to work (if you don't have a blender at work or don't live 5 mins from work unfortunately you don't have this option)2:30 sandwich - either turkey + ham or tuna dry w/veggies on whole wheat 4:00 cucumber, broccoli, or carrot + almondsWater is the great equalizer too, getting a craving a little earlier than usual? Drink some water, can usually delay the hunger by another 30-45 mins.

So if I shop the aisles, I feel like I'd either be looking at much more prep time, shopping time (as these items I can stock up for a month at a time easy), and/or frequent trips to the break room to get stuff from the fridge/use microwave.

What would be the easiest way to keep eating every few hours without relying on grab and go items? Right now I eat about 650 Cal at work and would like to continue eating 4 times during the day in small doses.
I bought THESE and use them to pre-make 5 salads and a large batch of tuna salad every sunday evening. Voila. There's lunches during the week. In a second container I house 2 boiled eggs for breakfast (again, pre-boiled on sunday while I'm making the salads) and a cup or so of some type of berries for lunch. I keep a tub of instant oatmeal (microwave half full coffee cup of water for 90 seconds, stir in oatmeal and one pack of splenda) plus a bag of pistachos, sunflower seeds in my desk for impromptu snacking.

TOTAL PREP TIME EACH SUNDAY: Maybe 30 minutes...max. If I take my time. 5 tubs with spinach, cucumber, green pepper, and tomato wedges. Boil 18 eggs.

EACH DAY I GRAB:

BREAKFAST : 2 Hard boiled organic free range eggs, cup of fruit (straw/blue/rasbberries) (225 calories total)

MID AM SNACK: Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt (80 calories)

LUNCH: Good sized salad with good sized scoop of tuna salad (made with light miracle whip, sweet relish, celery, black pepper, garlic powder, and tony C's seasoning) and a bit of Kroger Fat Free Italian Dressing (275 calories)

MID PM SNACK : Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt (80 Calories)

RANDOM SNACK: Apple or Orange (80 calories) or Mozzerella String Cheese (80 calories) both kept in office fridge.

TOTAL: 730 calories and they fit into two small plastic containers and slide neatly into my laptop bag every morning. Takes me about 2 minutes to grab what I need and load it up and I'm out the door. :thumbup:

It's VERY easy to do as long as you plan ahead. Nothing requires cooking (except the oatmeal which I rarely touch), and I only make 1 trip per day to the break room fridge (lunch where I grab my salad, yogurt, and fruit/cheese). I'm generally in there every hour or two to get a big cup of water or coffee anyway :)
:thumbup: I am a big fan of those containers and I do something similar re: prepping big ### salads in advance. I don't mind the prep time at all and never view it as a chore, but I enjoy cooking and being in the kitchen in general.

Big fan of Tim, you should see what Martin Berkhan has to say.

This app is awesome. It's a lot easier to use than it used to be, and there's a lot of food there. The barcode scanner is nifty too if you eat something packaged. I am now looking at all food with the eye of "would I trade this for a glass of wine at the end of the day?" If the answer is no, I don't eat it.

This app is awesome. It's a lot easier to use than it used to be, and there's a lot of food there. The barcode scanner is nifty too if you eat something packaged. I am now looking at all food with the eye of "would I trade this for a glass of wine at the end of the day?" If the answer is no, I don't eat it.
I created a section for booze and add two glasses of red wine to MFP every morning. Makes it easier to keep track of where I will be by the end of the evening.

NJDawgPoundYou are the man. Seriously. Awesome story.
Thanks sir! Slowing down at 144.2 pounds lost but upped my calories from 1200-1300 per day to 1400-1600. Need more discipline in drinking enough water. Diet soda crept back in my life, so I need to calm down there. Been putting in a lot of time at work so prep has lagged but still staying within my calories. However, when I was burning a pound a day I was staying to fresh foods and limiting the processed stuff. I feel the weight loss will take off if I maximize my calories better. Gotta make those calories count with fresh fruits, veggies, lean proteins, and good fats.

Back in the saddle after a long layoff. Would like to lose 20 lbs in about 3 months. Haven't started working out again yet, just counting calories.

Anybody else feel like the app overestimates calories burned due to exercise?
I think it always has. I always tried to stay below the calorie numbers without exercise bonus calories.
I thought about that, but sticking at 1560 calories when I spend 4 out of 7 days skiing and another two bike commuting to work just isn't realistic. I end up with a healthy deficit at the end of the day though, and I try not to make it all up with wine. :)

I think it always has. I always tried to stay below the calorie numbers without exercise bonus calories.
I thought about that, but sticking at 1560 calories when I spend 4 out of 7 days skiing and another two bike commuting to work just isn't realistic. I end up with a healthy deficit at the end of the day though, and I try not to make it all up with wine. :)
I understand. You have to use some common sense. Have you been losing weight using the app? Maybe use half or 3/4 of your bonus calories.

I understand. You have to use some common sense. Have you been losing weight using the app? Maybe use half or 3/4 of your bonus calories.
Don't know. I haven't stepped on a scale. Just using the app to monitor what I eat, and it's only been a week or so.

It does on a number of exercises but for instance, running is pretty close. Odd ball stuff like yard work or cleaning is terribly off the mark. My feel is the more popular the exercise, the more dialed in it is.

Looks like the slump is over! 2.6 away from one fifty. Renovating the house is great exercise. :)
Great job! I am hoping to hit 100 loss this week but I am a bit nervous, went crazy on some sushi this past weekend.
Thanks Buddy and you too Chaka. It's going to get pretty good considering my newly reclaimed energy combined with an extra hour of daylight coming this weekend... Looking forward to playing a lot of golf this year, and walking the course rather than driving.

:goodposting:
GF uses this thing and loves it. Makes ongoing adjustments to activity levels in MyFitnessPal based on detected activity levels. Also the BodyMedia app pulls caloric data from MFP and shows offsets based against activity. Interacts seamlessly back and forth. http://www.amazon.com/BodyMedia-CORE-Weight-Management-System/dp/B0052KONSI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363794813&sr=8-2&keywords=body+bugg

I've been drinking these to help with the hunger pains I get after 2 pm..http://eas.com/product/myoplex-carb-control-ready-to-drinkThey taste pretty good and they keep me good until dinner.
You could save cash mixing your own http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363794921&sr=8-1&keywords=on+proteinThat said those sorts of protein shakes are great. :thumbup:
i thought if you had too much protein per day and didnt work out it converts to fatfor my hunger pains ill get my nutribullet and grind up all the veggies in my fridge. actually pretty filling and doesnt taste bad. throw in some almonds and fruit sometimes too

I've been drinking these to help with the hunger pains I get after 2 pm..http://eas.com/product/myoplex-carb-control-ready-to-drinkThey taste pretty good and they keep me good until dinner.
You could save cash mixing your own http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363794921&sr=8-1&keywords=on+proteinThat said those sorts of protein shakes are great. :thumbup:
i thought if you had too much protein per day and didnt work out it converts to fatfor my hunger pains ill get my nutribullet and grind up all the veggies in my fridge. actually pretty filling and doesnt taste bad. throw in some almonds and fruit sometimes too
Too many calories of any type (fat, carbs, protein) will be stored as fat. Protein is a little tougher (I've read it needs to be converted to glucose first...I think? Not sure how true that is... others in this thread are wiser than I am). If you're at a caloric deficit I don't believe there is any drawback of any reasonably balanced mix of protein. Now... eating a diet of 80% protein can be hard on certain parts of your body and is another discussion entirely. But to answer your question... there is no hard and fast rule of "More protein plus not working out = fat" .Generally speaking things high in fiber and protein will tend to be more "Filling" for longer than something high in fat or simple carbs... so folks operating at a caloric deficit will usually try to eat more of them.

I've been drinking these to help with the hunger pains I get after 2 pm..

http://eas.com/product/myoplex-carb-control-ready-to-drink

They taste pretty good and they keep me good until dinner.
You could save cash mixing your own

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363794921&sr=8-1&keywords=on+protein

That said those sorts of protein shakes are great. :thumbup:
Excess protein only turns to fat in the presence of excess carbs as well. You need Glucose-6-Phosphate present to make the conversion. Most of the excess (depending on the AA profile) will go into keytones, or depending on your belief in the protien shake naysayers, poop. If your kidney is broken you will pee it out.

The G6P conversion being starved is the single biggest reason people can shed fat like crazy just by cutting back on carbs. It is simply too difficult to add fat in that environment.

i started this app last week. i was surprised to see how much calories some of the crap i was eating. i havnt been drinking much lately either, now ive settled for rum and diet coke as the go-to. my daily calories is 1920.. seems like alot.. im 30 6'3 and weigh 197 . o well im not complaining as long as itlll work.. my target is to get to 185 then start p90x
just won our office biggest loser contest. down to 178 . i lost 18 lbs 2nd place lost 8 i think.. i lowered my daily calorie to 1580 and wasnt hungry at all. i did buy a nutribullet and have been blending up tons of raw veggie shakes which i feel helped alot. im feeln skinny now and i need to bulk up.. high protein diet here we go!

:thumbup: logged in for 60 days straight or something like that... down about 25 at this point I think. Still truckin. Need to high gear it before this wedding I have coming up in late april. Ideally need to drop another 10ish.

Goal is 25lbs more down (will be pretty much cut at that point) and start tacking on some muscle for vegas bachelor party in July. Considering most of the guys in our group are competitive weightlifters/fitness freaks I gotta get on my game. :popcorn:

Sigh. Sad to say that I am back to using the app. Damn all the baking I've been doing and winter for hiding all the weight I have gained. I do forget how sucky the first week is and it's easy to see where I gained all the weight with all the mid day snacking. Oh well. I'm just glad I have this to help.

It's actually pretty amazing how much your weight can fluctuate in 6 days. I've dropped 8 lbs since last Friday. I'm sure most of it was water weight b/c I ate and drank alot last thursday night (baseball draft)....but it's just pretty interesting.

It does on a number of exercises but for instance, running is pretty close. Odd ball stuff like yard work or cleaning is terribly off the mark. My feel is the more popular the exercise, the more dialed in it is.
Almost all my exercise comes from running and I agree that it seems pretty accurate there.

I've hit my goal weight from 210 to 184 (I'm 6'1"). Started after New year's, so this took me 3 months, much faster than I would have imagined, as I had it set to 1 pound a week, and lost 2 every week on average. Thank you so much for the recommendation of this app.

My plan is to keep using the app to maintain my weight. I just got an extra 500 calories a day!! Does that seem right? I'm nervous that this seems like a whole bunch and I will start creeping upward again.

I've hit my goal weight from 210 to 184 (I'm 6'1"). Started after New year's, so this took me 3 months, much faster than I would have imagined, as I had it set to 1 pound a week, and lost 2 every week on average. Thank you so much for the recommendation of this app.

My plan is to keep using the app to maintain my weight. I just got an extra 500 calories a day!! Does that seem right? I'm nervous that this seems like a whole bunch and I will start creeping upward again.
Amiright or amiright or amiright?

Probably normal. Remember each pound is roughly a 5000 calorie deficit.

Just be rational about what it is. Start with protein shakes at first to make sure you have the numbers dialed in.

Cleaning/yardwork is walking with some light upper body resistance thrown in. Wear a HRM and tell it you are walking and see what it reports. You might be surprised.

What I want to know is what people put in for sex.

Hit 223.0 today...down from 247. Still in a race with a buddy to 210. I have two weddings out of town (Boston, MA and Destin, FL) the last two weeks of April that will be a challenge. My goal is to get to 210 in 3 weeks (25th/26th when I leave for 2nd wedding in FL). Boston wedding will be in and out of town so It will be easier to "behave". Destin, I am in the wedding and we're getting this insane 8BR house on the water for 4 nights... bachelor party..etc. Going to be impossible to not pack a few on during that trip. 13lbs in 3 weeks. Will likely have to "Cut weight" to make it. Maybe shoot for 216 legit then cut weight the last 2 days to hit 209.X before leaving. :unsure:

Final goal is to break 200 but will start lifting weights again once I win/lose my bet. Vegas in late July. No reason I can't be a relatively cut 200lbs by then :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread