What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Morning Jacket (6 Viewers)

Really disappointed in the new one. I cringe whenever I try to listen to Thank You Too, Two Halves, or Look At You. And even the good tracks don't keep me coming back for more, as I've already moved the previous albums back into rotation and shelved this one.

In other news, Chicago dates got rescheduled for Dec 27th and 28th.....FU@$&(!!!! Might be hard for me to make those

And also, they cancelled their ENTIRE European Tour

Maybe Jimmy James is injured more than we thought?!?!!

..if anything, hopefully he devotes some of his couch time to writing songs better than 'Look at You' and 'Two Halves'

Jim James (or Yim Yames :unsure: ) EP Tribute To of George Harrison covers is excellent. In a year of no new MMJ or tours, its perfect. All Things Must Pass and Long Long Long are especially good. They need to bring the reverb back :coffee:

Im liking what Ive heard of the Monsters of Folk album that comes out at the end of the month too...

So, gonna see them @ Jazz Fest and I want ot pick up album.....which one should I start with?

If it helps, my fav bands are Pearl Jam, Phish, Dave, etc

So, gonna see them @ Jazz Fest and I want ot pick up album.....which one should I start with?If it helps, my fav bands are Pearl Jam, Phish, Dave, etc
Start with It Still Moves, then go to At Dawn and The Tennessee Fire - this the foundation. Then Z and Evil Urges, the last two albums which have been more experimental and wide-ranging in styles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okonokos is an awesome live Cd that spans all their pre Evil Urges stuff). Cool DVD with it also. Worth checking it out and then following the album progression. FWIW "One Big Holiday" is one of my top 10 songs of the 00s

So, gonna see them @ Jazz Fest and I want ot pick up album.....which one should I start with?If it helps, my fav bands are Pearl Jam, Phish, Dave, etc
Fantastic band, GB. You're going to love 'em. However, if you come across their latest album, just go ahead and delete the song "Highly Suspicious". In fact, I hope you never ever have to hear it. Absolute abortion of a song. Hard to believe it came from them.

At Dawn is my favorite, followed closely by It Still Moves, The Tennessee Fire and Z. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Evil Urges isn't nearly as good as the others but still has some good moments. As suggested by TU, Okonokos might be a good place to start re: their live show.

Regardless, they are still one of my favorite live acts. I've seen them more than any band--at least 10 times. Two of those shows are amongst the best concerts I've seen in the past 30 years.

At Dawn is my favorite, followed closely by It Still Moves, The Tennessee Fire and Z. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Evil Urges isn't nearly as good as the others but still has some good moments. As suggested by TU, Okonokos might be a good place to start re: their live show.

Regardless, they are still one of my favorite live acts. I've seen them more than any band--at least 10 times. Two of those shows are amongst the best concerts I've seen in the past 30 years.
I downloaded It Still Moves yesterday. I've listened to it once in full and a few songs (Rollin' Back) a few times today. This is the greatest album I've listened to in ages. Easily better than their last two efforts, both of which I own and really like...just not as much as I'm liking this album. Holy crap, I can't wait to download "At Dawn".Incredible....

I downloaded It Still Moves yesterday. I've listened to it once in full and a few songs (Rollin' Back) a few times today. This is the greatest album I've listened to in ages. Easily better than their last two efforts, both of which I own and really like...just not as much as I'm liking this album. Holy crap, I can't wait to download "At Dawn".Incredible....
MMJ ####### RULEZ. One Big Holiday

At Dawn is quite a bit mellower than It Still Moves, but still ranks as my favorite MMJ album. You won't find a "One Big Holiday" here but if "Rollin' Back" is your favorite from ISM, you'll probably love At Dawn as well. It's all good.

Fantastic band, GB. You're going to love 'em. However, if you come across their latest album, just go ahead and delete the song "Highly Suspicious". In fact, I hope you never ever have to hear it. Absolute abortion of a song. Hard to believe it came from them.
EU is definitely their worst album, but not because of Highly Suspicious. That song melts faces.

So, gonna see them @ Jazz Fest and I want ot pick up album.....which one should I start with?

If it helps, my fav bands are Pearl Jam, Phish, Dave, etc
EU is definitely their worst album, but not because of Highly Suspicious. That song melts faces.
It might be their worst album, but it's still a lot better than most things I hear out there.I can't wait to download "At Dawn" this weekend. I'm still smitten with "It Still Moves". Steady rotation in the car and my IPOD during workouts.

I had my ipod on shuffle wednesday night as we hosted a dinner party. Highly Suspicious came on and a once lively conversation stopped dead in its tracks. Finally, somebody asked in the heat of silence "What the hell IS this?" I got up and hit 'forward'. I need to just delete that audio tumor from my library....and memory.

It might be their worst album, but it's still a lot better than most things I hear out there.I can't wait to download "At Dawn" this weekend. I'm still smitten with "It Still Moves". Steady rotation in the car and my IPOD during workouts.
No doubt EU is a lot better than most things out there, but its their worst album and its not really all that close...I dont even listen to the whole album anymore (which isnt the case for any other album or EP from them). Ill listen to the first 4-5 songs, then skip to Remnants for the last 3 songs. Smokin From Shootin > Touch Me Im Going to Scream is where the greatness is on that album.Youll love At Dawn, no doubt, but IMO none of their catalog will ever touch It Still Moves. I might like Z more than At Dawn at this point, actually, but thats more a nod to Z than a knock on AD

I can't wait to download "At Dawn" this weekend. I'm still smitten with "It Still Moves". Steady rotation in the car and my IPOD during workouts.
So what was the verdict on "At Dawn"? Right now I'm about where you were back in Jan., can't get enough of ISM and just downloaded AD this morning. Heading out soon for lunch. Gonna buy a burrito, sit in my truck for an hour and give it a listen. :shrug:

So now all of the Dave fans have moved on to My Morning Jacket? My brother was a card carrying member of the DMB fan club, and now claims that this band is the greatest ever. Yes he wears Abercrombie, and a weathered baseball cap turned backwards. He even drives a Jetta.

So now all of the Dave fans have moved on to My Morning Jacket? My brother was a card carrying member of the DMB fan club, and now claims that this band is the greatest ever. Yes he wears Abercrombie, and a weathered baseball cap turned backwards. He even drives a Jetta.
If you're talking about me, not a Dave fan at all, never was, own none of his music. I'd honestly never heard of MMJ before I saw them show up in here and in song draft threads. Bought Mahgeeta and One Big Holiday and wore them out, then eventually bought the whole ISM album. I understand that I'm almost a decade late to the party but better late than never. :jawdrop:

I can't wait to download "At Dawn" this weekend. I'm still smitten with "It Still Moves". Steady rotation in the car and my IPOD during workouts.
So what was the verdict on "At Dawn"? Right now I'm about where you were back in Jan., can't get enough of ISM and just downloaded AD this morning. Heading out soon for lunch. Gonna buy a burrito, sit in my truck for an hour and give it a listen. :thumbup:
I finally downloaded it over the weekend and have been listening ever since. What is driving me absolutely nuts is that track number 3 (Way That He Sings) I've heard before and I can't figure out when or where. It doesn't sound like something I heard on the radio...perhaps a mixed CD that Zilla sent or Scorchy? I know I've heard it before because I was singing along as it played the first time around...it's killing me. What a great song.This might be my new favorite band. And I've been listening since 2006, but only had their latest two albums. I had no idea how rich with awesomeness their earlier work was.

Is your entire shtick based on irritating as many people as possible with just utterly ridiculous comments? Okay if it is, just curious that that's how you'd chose to go about your online day.

Hmmmm. Guess its time to check out their earlier stuff. EU is the only one Ive ever heard and I actually really liked it. :goodposting:

Odd question. More likely it's just your brother. :lmao:I've never liked Dave Mathews and don't see any connection between the two bands. It's possible your brother's taste just improved greatly. Well, in music at least.

Since 2 of MMJ's greatest shows were Bonnaroo 06 and 08, Im sure there are plenty of fans who listen to more mainstream music, like DMB.

Having been at the Merriweather show a week and a half ago though, crowd was very un-DMB (yes, Ive been to a DMB show, and now that I think about it, the opening acts were Ben Harper, Jurassic 5, and yours truly MMJ. I left before DMB came out). Merriweather wasnt as hippied out as a Phish show, but more like a crowd you see at festivals.

As for the actual show, it was fantastic. They usually dont play venues the size of Merriweather unless its a special occasion so I was worried about the size, but they brought the house down. Of course I was in the pav aisle RTFO, but I was surprised how into it the entire crowd was. Band definitely fed off the crowd, Jim James was on fire with 2 nintendo pistols in his holster. JJ is the biggest rock star going these days as far as im concerned. The Steam Engine and Dancefloors were ridiculous.

Here's a link to the Merriweather show on Archive. Can listen there or download. Soundboard quality :kicksrock:

Can someone explain the Yim Yames thing to me? I've heard the DJ on XPN refer to him as that before with a chuckle, but dont know the backstory.

TIA

Can someone explain the Yim Yames thing to me? I've heard the DJ on XPN refer to him as that before with a chuckle, but dont know the backstory. TIA
I dont think they is any exact story for the name change. He sort of adopted it around the time his George Harrison cover EP and Monsters of Folk album came out. I think its kind of the name he uses for music he makes outside of MMJ, I guess.Also, jealous of you in that youve only heard Evil Urges. Listen to that link to the Merriweather show I posted. You mind will blow to bits

Can someone explain the Yim Yames thing to me? I've heard the DJ on XPN refer to him as that before with a chuckle, but dont know the backstory. TIA
I dont think they is any exact story for the name change. He sort of adopted it around the time his George Harrison cover EP and Monsters of Folk album came out. I think its kind of the name he uses for music he makes outside of MMJ, I guess.Also, jealous of you in that youve only heard Evil Urges. Listen to that link to the Merriweather show I posted. You mind will blow to bits
It's probably already been posted in this thread, but their live stuff is their best. Okonokos is one of the best live albums evah.

Odd question. More likely it's just your brother. :lol:I've never liked Dave Mathews and don't see any connection between the two bands. It's possible your brother's taste just improved greatly. Well, in music at least.
Okay. Just checking.

MMJ just announced new dates today....Unbelievable...Just when I say no one comes to Pittsburgh anymore, the Jacket answers my prayers. General Admission show makes it even better :rant:

08/11/2010 My Morning Jacket in San Diego, CA SDSU Open Air Theatre US

08/12/2010 My Morning Jacket in Los Angeles, CA Greek Theatre US

08/15/2010 My Morning Jacket in Commerce City, CO Mile High Festival US

08/17/2010 My Morning Jacket in Chicago, IL Charter One Pavilion US

08/19/2010 My Morning Jacket in Mansfield, MA Comcast Center US

08/20/2010 My Morning Jacket in Burlington, VT Champlain Valley Lawn US

08/21/2010 My Morning Jacket in Mansfield, MA Comcast Center US

08/24/2010 My Morning Jacket in East Rutherford, NJ Izod Center US

08/25/2010 My Morning Jacket in Holyoke, MA Mountain Park US

08/27/2010 My Morning Jacket in Pittsburgh, PA Station Square Amphitheater US

08/28/2010 My Morning Jacket in Canandaigua, NY CMAC US

08/29/2010 My Morning Jacket in Philadelphia, PA River Stage At Great Plaza US

Since 2 of MMJ's greatest shows were Bonnaroo 06 and 08, Im sure there are plenty of fans who listen to more mainstream music, like DMB.

Having been at the Merriweather show a week and a half ago though, crowd was very un-DMB (yes, Ive been to a DMB show, and now that I think about it, the opening acts were Ben Harper, Jurassic 5, and yours truly MMJ. I left before DMB came out). Merriweather wasnt as hippied out as a Phish show, but more like a crowd you see at festivals.

As for the actual show, it was fantastic. They usually dont play venues the size of Merriweather unless its a special occasion so I was worried about the size, but they brought the house down. Of course I was in the pav aisle RTFO, but I was surprised how into it the entire crowd was. Band definitely fed off the crowd, Jim James was on fire with 2 nintendo pistols in his holster. JJ is the biggest rock star going these days as far as im concerned. The Steam Engine and Dancefloors were ridiculous.

:thumbup: Glad to see they announced another date here in MA other than opening for Petty. Sucks that it is a Wednesday night in Western, MA, but I'm still going!!

:thumbup:
5 NIGHTS – 5 ALBUMS – TERMINAL 5 – NEW YORK CITY New York City’s Terminal 5 will be presenting a historic five night run of shows in which My Morning Jacket will perform one of their full-length albums in its entirety each night, along with additional songs and covers from each album’s time period. The stint will kick off on Monday, October 18th, with a performance of the 1999 debut The Tennessee Fire, and will be followed chronologically by their next four full length albums, ending with 2008’s Evil Urges. on Saturday, October 23rd.10/18 – Terminal 5 – New York City, NY – The Tennessee Fire10/19 – Terminal 5 – New York City, NY – At Dawn10/21 – Terminal 5 – New York City, NY – It Still Moves10/22 – Terminal 5 – New York City, NY – Z10/23 – Terminal 5 – New York City, NY – Evil Urges and beyond!Tickets for the shows go on pre-sale on June 14th, with 5-show ticket packages available to fans. The individual shows will go on sale to the public on Friday, June 18th. For ticket and show information, click here.
### ####, I really need to move to NYC. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread