What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My son deployed to the middle east... ** Update - We have boots in the house! ** (1 Viewer)

Thanks to your son for his service and the entire family for your sacrifices. May you all keep each other strong ( and it looks like you have a great structure in place to do so) and may he come home safe and healthy in all aspects. Much respect.

top dog said:
For any of you who have gone through this before, what is the best method for communication so it doesn't rape our cellular plan?  Are there apps he can use when he has internet access that are better than others to make calls?  I'm talking to Verizon to see what our options are with them..
I'll second WhatsApp, maybe Wechat. We used Wechat in China through a VPN. When I was in Afghanistan and Iraq I just used the phone in our office. I forget the number but there's MWR lines available he can use. 

It's funny in a way. For the Soldier, it's just a thing we do. We miss home but we're usually busy enough and surrounded by others in the same situation. 

Parents and family have it harder emotionally.

It's funny in a way. For the Soldier, it's just a thing we do. We miss home but we're usually busy enough and surrounded by others in the same situation. 

Parents and family have it harder emotionally.
I asked my wife last night if she thought he would ever really appreciate the support system we put in place for his family and all the sacrifices everyone has made.  She said no, but then said "Probably when we're gone.  Did you really appreciate everything your mother did for you before she died?"  It was kind of a gut punch because she was right.  I didn't understand how much my mother meant to me and what she had done throughout my life until she was gone.  Same with my wife's grandparents who were quite possibility the greatest people I have ever met in my life.  Everyone loved them and appreciated them, but once they were gone, you realized even more what they were and what was now missing.  It's ok.. We don't do what we do for appreciation.  That's what we have dogs for.  Those suckers show appreciation for everything!  Kids on the other hand...  Not so much.  :)

Almost another month has gone by and being Veteran's Day and all, felt like an appropriate time to update.  Have been in touch with my son through whatsapp.  He's a bit disappointed because everything they were going over to do changed when we pulled out of Syria.  Seems like it through the entire area into a bit of restructuring.  He was supposed to be knee deep in the field but has spent most of his time on base.  Which is perfectly fine with the rest of us!   I hope he stays bored for the rest of his deployment.  My wife and daughter-in-law have been very active in the Family Readiness Group.  They adopted his entire platoon for sending over these camo Christmas stockings full of stuff.  There are 30 of them I think in that platoon.  Their actions ended up organizing some of the other families to adopt the other 2 platoons.  So now the entire unit or whatever will be getting these stockings at Christmas.  It's not cheap sending all that over there so my wife and daughter-in-law reached out on FB for donations.  It has been very cool to see the support.  One of his wrestling coaches donated a nice sum of money to help with shipping and supplies (it costs $400 to send one platoon these stockings in shipping alone).  Other parents from the wrestling team when we were there reached out.  This entire thing has been tough on my wife as that is her baby boy.  When he was born it was just her and him that first year before I met them.  They will always have this incredible bond.  She will always be the only person he has been able to count on since day one of his life.  She's had a couple nights where the tears have opened up to me but for the most part she has jumped into supporting the FRG and being a pillar of strength for my daughter-in-law.  A couple weeks ago my daughter-in-law called her at 1:30 am on a work night in tears because the youngest wouldn't stop crying.  "I'll be right there" was all she said before she threw on some clothes and spent the next hour and a half with them getting our grand-daughter to go to sleep.  

The best result of this entire thing is getting to be so involved in our grand-kids lives.  They are over every day.  My grandson is 2 and is a hot mess as most 2 year olds are.  Yesterday we outside getting the yards ready for the coming winter storm and he was checking out the shed in his back yard.  His momma told him "You don't want to go in there, it is gross."  He paused at the door looked back at her and said "Grandma poop in there?" I couldn't stop laughing.  A month or so ago I had something back up in my basement bathroom tub.  He was checking it out with me and I told him "Don't touch that.  It's gross!  I think grandma pooped in the tub!".  Apparently he still remembers that conversation.   :lmao:

Happy Veteran's Day to all that serve and have served.  It's an amazing sacrifice you all gave and we can't thank you enough.  Without you guys, we wouldn't have the lives we live today.   :thumbup:

Your son may be disappointed with the "boredom" right now, but he'll be thankful when he's older. Just like he'll be thankful that you and your wife have been so supportive.

What ever you do, do NOT send girlscout cookies in the stockings, There will be a mountain of them in a room somewhere on base especially around the holidays. 

The greatest gift for your hero is what his family back home has been giving him all along. Peace of mind. Knowing that his wife and kids are doing well  makes a huge impact on focusing on the task at hand. Even the relativley mundane can be dangerous if his minds trying to solve problems back here. Knowing not only is help just a call away, but that if something does happen, the call for help will be made. 

Good luck to him and your family! 

Our son has asked us (more specifically, my wife) not to send any more care packages. She always includes something that will break open or spill in route. Being someone that worked at the Post Office for nearly 30 years, you would think she'd be good at that.  :lol:

Thanks for taking care of the entire platoon.  When I was stationed in Somalia we had several guys who didn't have anyone write or send them care packages.  Everyone has a different background and not necessarily a loving family to send letters and stuff.   When I returned state side I made it my mission to make sure anyone that was deployed from my unit received mail and care packages.  It means so much to get just anything during mail call.  Might be different now with all the new technology being able to speak with family easier.  I had to use a satellite phone that only took a credit card with an international operator and was 16 dollars a minute.   

Again with all that being said thanks for adopting the platoon. 

I’ll be heading over in a week but I’ll be on the water.  In my opinion deployments are much tougher for the wife/spouse that has to deal with the burden of the house, kids, errands, job, stuff breaking, etc usually in a state away from family with little support while worrying about their significant other. 

Someone brought up communication, right now the most popular way to communicate is through google hangouts.  It seems to work better than other apps and works well on limited bandwidth. 

Thanks for taking care of the entire platoon.  When I was stationed in Somalia we had several guys who didn't have anyone write or send them care packages.  Everyone has a different background and not necessarily a loving family to send letters and stuff.   When I returned state side I made it my mission to make sure anyone that was deployed from my unit received mail and care packages.  It means so much to get just anything during mail call.  Might be different now with all the new technology being able to speak with family easier.  I had to use a satellite phone that only took a credit card with an international operator and was 16 dollars a minute.   

Again with all that being said thanks for adopting the platoon. 
I think I posted this in another thread awhile back. We attended our sons boot camp graduation a couple of years ago. After 13 weeks of letters and one very short phone call, graduating Marines are given an afternoon of liberty the day before graduation ceremony. Roughly three hundred newly minted Marines stand in formation with families and friends surrounding them on all sides. When the liberty call finally comes, everyone is near their emotional breaking point. Everyone scrambles to find their loved ones and give them a long needed hug. As my wife hugged our son, I looked around at the other families enjoying the moment. But, I also saw a lot of young kids that didn't have anyone there to share in the moment. It was heartbreaking to see. And it happens every week. I wondered if it was money, or time, or lack of family that was the cause. 

I think I posted this in another thread awhile back. We attended our sons boot camp graduation a couple of years ago. After 13 weeks of letters and one very short phone call, graduating Marines are given an afternoon of liberty the day before graduation ceremony. Roughly three hundred newly minted Marines stand in formation with families and friends surrounding them on all sides. When the liberty call finally comes, everyone is near their emotional breaking point. Everyone scrambles to find their loved ones and give them a long needed hug. As my wife hugged our son, I looked around at the other families enjoying the moment. But, I also saw a lot of young kids that didn't have anyone there to share in the moment. It was heartbreaking to see. And it happens every week. I wondered if it was money, or time, or lack of family that was the cause. 
Yes to all those issues not enough money, lack of time off from work, family issues or something else.   When I graduated boot camp I was lucky enough to have my Mom and Dad and my battle buddy didn't have any family coming to see him graduate so my parents signed him out for the weekend.    I didn't ask him why his family didn't show up because it seemed to be a sensitive issue already.   

Yes to all those issues not enough money, lack of time off from work, family issues or something else.   When I graduated boot camp I was lucky enough to have my Mom and Dad and my battle buddy didn't have any family coming to see him graduate so my parents signed him out for the weekend.    I didn't ask him why his family didn't show up because it seemed to be a sensitive issue already.   
It is tough for some of the families I'm sure.  Had this been 20 years ago, in our financial state then we would not have been able to do as much as we have.  Traveling to Georgia to see him graduate basic was no issue.  There were a number of young men there as well that didn't have any family to share with.  Prior to him shipping off we paid for their hotel room for 4 days because money is tighter for them than us.  We are not FBG rich by any means, but we don't want for much anymore.  When my wife said she wanted to adopt the entire platoon I was all in.  I'd rather give back to some of these guys than spend it on more crap that we end up buying for the grandkids.  They are already spoiled enough.

All of those. Often these guys (gender neutral term here) enlist to get out of crappy situations.   

Almost another month has gone by and being Veteran's Day and all, felt like an appropriate time to update.  Have been in touch with my son through whatsapp.  He's a bit disappointed because everything they were going over to do changed when we pulled out of Syria.  Seems like it through the entire area into a bit of restructuring.  He was supposed to be knee deep in the field but has spent most of his time on base.  Which is perfectly fine with the rest of us!   I hope he stays bored for the rest of his deployment.  My wife and daughter-in-law have been very active in the Family Readiness Group.  They adopted his entire platoon for sending over these camo Christmas stockings full of stuff.  There are 30 of them I think in that platoon.  Their actions ended up organizing some of the other families to adopt the other 2 platoons.  So now the entire unit or whatever will be getting these stockings at Christmas.  It's not cheap sending all that over there so my wife and daughter-in-law reached out on FB for donations.  It has been very cool to see the support.  One of his wrestling coaches donated a nice sum of money to help with shipping and supplies (it costs $400 to send one platoon these stockings in shipping alone).  Other parents from the wrestling team when we were there reached out.  This entire thing has been tough on my wife as that is her baby boy.  When he was born it was just her and him that first year before I met them.  They will always have this incredible bond.  She will always be the only person he has been able to count on since day one of his life.  She's had a couple nights where the tears have opened up to me but for the most part she has jumped into supporting the FRG and being a pillar of strength for my daughter-in-law.  A couple weeks ago my daughter-in-law called her at 1:30 am on a work night in tears because the youngest wouldn't stop crying.  "I'll be right there" was all she said before she threw on some clothes and spent the next hour and a half with them getting our grand-daughter to go to sleep.  

The best result of this entire thing is getting to be so involved in our grand-kids lives.  They are over every day.  My grandson is 2 and is a hot mess as most 2 year olds are.  Yesterday we outside getting the yards ready for the coming winter storm and he was checking out the shed in his back yard.  His momma told him "You don't want to go in there, it is gross."  He paused at the door looked back at her and said "Grandma poop in there?" I couldn't stop laughing.  A month or so ago I had something back up in my basement bathroom tub.  He was checking it out with me and I told him "Don't touch that.  It's gross!  I think grandma pooped in the tub!".  Apparently he still remembers that conversation.   :lmao:

Happy Veteran's Day to all that serve and have served.  It's an amazing sacrifice you all gave and we can't thank you enough.  Without you guys, we wouldn't have the lives we live today.   :thumbup:
I know you didn't post this for this purpose, but I bet there is more than a few people around here that would chip in to help with shipping costs and whatnot.  I know I would much rather donate to someone like your family that is sending real impactful things to the troops rather than donating to some big box charity where bunches of the money won't go to the people that need it.

If you don't feel right posting something where people can donate then I hope you reach out to me via PM at least because I will definitely help.

Headed out his way today. Know that you @top dog and he has a FBG brother in the fight. We'll get through this and come home safe.

We have our own versions of Thanksgiving and Christmas and while they dont compare to a family version, they are a timeless memory for all involved. It's a "different" celebration, but one that is remembered and makes us appreciate the "normal" so much more. 

God Bless.

Headed out his way today. Know that you @top dog and he has a FBG brother in the fight. We'll get through this and come home safe.

We have our own versions of Thanksgiving and Christmas and while they dont compare to a family version, they are a timeless memory for all involved. It's a "different" celebration, but one that is remembered and makes us appreciate the "normal" so much more. 

God Bless.
Thank you and God Bless.  Stay safe!

God Bless.
Safe travels Max. 

I know you didn't post this for this purpose, but I bet there is more than a few people around here that would chip in to help with shipping costs and whatnot.  I know I would much rather donate to someone like your family that is sending real impactful things to the troops rather than donating to some big box charity where bunches of the money won't go to the people that need it.

If you don't feel right posting something where people can donate then I hope you reach out to me via PM at least because I will definitely help.
Sorry, I missed this post before.  We are good for the Christmas care packages.  I think we are going to do something similar for Easter if you want to help out then.  I'm sure I'll keep this post updated. 

My wife is mailing out the care packages this Saturday.  The local post office asked her to call ahead of time to let them know when she is coming.  Since each soldier is getting their own box, there are 22 custom forms that have to be filled out and typed in individually.  The estimated it will take somewhere around 40 minutes to mail the packages. 

Sorry, I missed this post before.  We are good for the Christmas care packages.  I think we are going to do something similar for Easter if you want to help out then.  I'm sure I'll keep this post updated. 

My wife is mailing out the care packages this Saturday.  The local post office asked her to call ahead of time to let them know when she is coming.  Since each soldier is getting their own box, there are 22 custom forms that have to be filled out and typed in individually.  The estimated it will take somewhere around 40 minutes to mail the packages. 
Please do, and tag me specifically if you don't mind.  I'd love to help.

Today was a rough day for the family.  Knowing that he is in Iraq we've said all along that the worst case scenario is if something popped off with Iran.  With today's events, it has everyone on edge of course..  I've been in contact with him and know they are on high alert.  He is in good spirits and was joking with me that he is know as the "Chris Kyle" round those parts.  Which is funny because he is a tanker.   His wife is dealing with sick babies right now and was all kinds of stressed out because she hasn't heard from him.  I had to talk her down a bit.  Mom is a mess... We went to dinner tonight and she drank a little more than she should have.  She got emotional and started posting photos of him as a baby on social media.  Got her to bed and have been texting with his wife.  Told her if the granddaughter gets any sicker, reach out.  My phone is on and I'm here to help.  

It sucks being so far away and knowing that there is absolutely nothing you can do.  Can't wait for these guys to come home.  It sure puts things into perspective when one of your own  is in harms way.  It is easy to be a hawk when you have nothing to lose.  Not much else to add right now... 

Today was a rough day for the family.  Knowing that he is in Iraq we've said all along that the worst case scenario is if something popped off with Iran.  With today's events, it has everyone on edge of course..  I've been in contact with him and know they are on high alert.  He is in good spirits and was joking with me that he is know as the "Chris Kyle" round those parts.  Which is funny because he is a tanker.   His wife is dealing with sick babies right now and was all kinds of stressed out because she hasn't heard from him.  I had to talk her down a bit.  Mom is a mess... We went to dinner tonight and she drank a little more than she should have.  She got emotional and started posting photos of him as a baby on social media.  Got her to bed and have been texting with his wife.  Told her if the granddaughter gets any sicker, reach out.  My phone is on and I'm here to help.  

It sucks being so far away and knowing that there is absolutely nothing you can do.  Can't wait for these guys to come home.  It sure puts things into perspective when one of your own  is in harms way.  It is easy to be a hawk when you have nothing to lose.  Not much else to add right now... 
Hang in there. Thoughts are with you and your family. 

It’s interesting to read this thread from a parent’s perspective. I never really considered the impact on my family when I deployed while in the Marines. Always just told them I’d be ok and see them when I got back. 
It get's even worse when you belong to some of the facebook groups. Especially the Moms. I still belong to the group for each phase our son has gone through. MCRD SD, MCT SD, FT Lee, Camp Lejeune, and a Marine Dad's group. The Dad's group is definitely the most relaxed of the bunch. But, the Mom's in the other groups stress about everything. Maybe us Dad's just process things differently, and probably hold most of it in. 

It get's even worse when you belong to some of the facebook groups. Especially the Moms. I still belong to the group for each phase our son has gone through. MCRD SD, MCT SD, FT Lee, Camp Lejeune, and a Marine Dad's group. The Dad's group is definitely the most relaxed of the bunch. But, the Mom's in the other groups stress about everything. Maybe us Dad's just process things differently, and probably hold most of it in. 
I know exactly what you mean.  The moms do stress out more in the groups.  But that's ok.  That's what Moms are supposed to do.  They are much better (usually) at vocalizing what's happening inside.  We do tend to hold it in.

It’s interesting to read this thread from a parent’s perspective. I never really considered the impact on my family when I deployed while in the Marines. Always just told them I’d be ok and see them when I got back. 
I feel like it is worse now with the technology we have to keep in touch.  While it is awesome that you can communicate easily, it tends to spoil the family members back home.  When my son in law was deployed to Afghanistan a few years ago, there was much less contact.  My daughter knew he was in danger but could only communicate with him on a very limited basis.  So not hearing from him for a long time was normal... And there was no more reason to worry than any other day... With my son, he has been able to text and video chat with his wife and kids almost every day.  So when he goes silent, she gets all whacked out.  I think it would be easier if she didn't hear from him very often honestly.... 

@top dog been thinking about you, your son and the rest of your family a lot these last few days.. Hoping for a quick, safe and healthy return.

We obviously have not heard from him at this time.  His base was one of the ones hit today.  Not panicking here yet, but dealing with our phones blowing up non-stop from family looking for updates.  My sister-in-law called my wife in tears... She had to talk her down.  It is nerve racking to say the least, but we are trying to avoid getting too worked up without knowing anything yet. 

We obviously have not heard from him at this time.  His base was one of the ones hit today.  Not panicking here yet, but dealing with our phones blowing up non-stop from family looking for updates.  My sister-in-law called my wife in tears... She had to talk her down.  It is nerve racking to say the least, but we are trying to avoid getting too worked up without knowing anything yet. 
What areas is your family in, in America? Any assistance, reach out... if anyone is able to do so.

Prayers for you guys and all military families and soldiers tonight. 

News is all over the place on this.  Not sure his base was hit.  Initial reports was they were hit by 3 missile/rockets, but that is unconfirmed.  So far all the official reports have only said al-Assad and Erbil.. Which is not where he is.  We haven't heard from him yet, but that is to be expected at this point.

I am travelling in Europe and following the news all night tonight. Hoping all the best for you and family!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching the latest news and hearing no casualties, not only American but also on the Iraqi side. Very good news. Hope they de-escalate the situation.

Got word late last night that he was fine.  One of his tank partners was texting my son's wife to let her know they were all good.  She asked him where her husband was to which he responded that he was sleeping.  Which knowing my son, is pretty typical.  He has always downplayed things to the family and quite frankly sleeping is something he never had trouble doing regardless of his situation or location.  My daughter-in-law did end up talking to him early this morning and he let her know "he is good".

Of course the situation yesterday was nerve wracking... Especially with all the initial news being all over the place... Report of his base being hit, then that being not true... Then a later report of his base being hit in the second wave, which also turned out to not be true... I think the hardest part was the onslaught of text messages and facebook messages from family and friends looking to know he was ok.  I'm not sure that in that situation reaching out to his mom and wife is advised.  We don't know any more than you guys do.  I know the intentions were true and there was honest concern, but that was overwhelming for the family.  

While sleeping was not the easiest thing and a bottle of bourbon may have been cracked, in the end it is just another day closer to him coming home.  It is not the easiest thing to navigate when things get hectic, but we are a pretty strong family and we will be looking forward to throwing a kick-### welcome home party later this year.

He and your family were the first thing I thought of when I woke up...really glad he's ok- thanks so much for sharing all of this.

Been a long time since I updated this thread.  Been a crazy couple months going from the Iran attack straight into COVID mode.  Today a bunch of family members got on Google Duo and had a Easter egg coloring fest with the kids.  Can't all get together, but we found a way to have some fun together anyway.  My son was on the call from his base in Kuwait.  Was pretty cool to see 5 different families in 5 different cities and 2 countries laugh and color eggs with the "cousins".  When they were done my grandson laid on the couch with his mom's phone with Daddy on the other end.  They watched part of a movie together.  My grandson held the phone to his chest so Daddy could see the TV.  It was pretty funny to watch actually.  They were both laying down in their different locations watching spiderman or something.  

Our son has been disconnected from what has been happening here somewhat and couldn't wrap his head around how bad things had gotten stateside.  Kept telling my daughter-in-law they would go on a cruise or something when he got back.  She was like, "Uh.. I'm NOT getting on some stinkin cruise ship!".  Now they are required to wear masks outside of the barracks because it has hit the bases over there a bit.  Those guys are all young and in great shape so I'm not too worried about them.  It must have finally sunk in with him how crazy things have gotten here as he told her, "Take all our savings out of the bank and put it in the safe!"  Luckily for him (and the grandkids) his wife is very intelligent and wasn't falling for that nonsense.   :lmao:   They also had some talk of extending their deployment stateside if things got real bad with COVID.  To help with supplies and what not.  Hopefully we won't get to that point.  That was worse case type scenario talk.  

He has spent most of this deployment rotating between Iraq and Kuwait.  I'm much happier when he is "bored" in Kuwait.  My wife and I have talked about it and are both kind of bummed that when he comes home later this year, we most likely wont be able to have a big welcome home party for him.  Without a vaccine, it won't be a good idea to get a giant group of people together to celebrate.  

The hardest part of the deployment so far is our grandson talking about Daddy coming home.  Sometimes he says "Daddy is coming home Thursday!"... Uh.. It might be a Thursday when he comes home, sure buddy! My son is a tanker.  Rolls in the M1A1 Abrahams.  But for whatever reason when you ask my grandson what daddy does at "work" he always says, "DADDY DRIVES A BUS!"  :lmao:

"Take all our savings out of the bank and put it in the safe!"  Luckily for him (and the grandkids) his wife is very intelligent and wasn't falling for that nonsense.   :lmao:   
HEY!  I did that.  I would rather be safe than sorry, lol.  Good to hear everyone is getting by over there.  Gotta be weird for them.

Users who are viewing this thread