What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NBA is coming up (1 Viewer)

First run at tonight after perusing some news, sort of a Studs/Duds run.

T.Evans/MCW - Sacramento is bad against PG and if Brow is out Evans should see increased opportunity, MCW fit the price window and Wall is gimpy

G.Green/Alphabet - Green seems to be getting extra minutes and responding, Alphabet coming off the big game might be a bad move but for some reason the guy usually does well for me. Thought of Hood and using the savings at PG

Durant/Lance Thomas - Feel a big one coming for Durant, Thomas assumes Melo is out have to watch the news on this one.

Gooden/Porzingis - Work was Gortat out for tonight, Gooden picked up big last game. Porzingis good value regardless but if Melo out he could go 40+

Boogie - No Brow and have the money and no real value plays so pay up for the best.

I'm on MCW, Gooden, and Porzingis too. I'm going with Kemba regardless, but could come off MCW. George Hill is somewhat interesting. Not sure I can play Thomas even if carmelos out. His upside is limited and doesn't do much when on court. I do like Porzingis more though

Here's what scares me about Porzingas. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

It's already been stated this year that he has suffered fatigue and hit a rookie wall at times. Now look at all of his back-to-back sets. Every single one, without fail, has a clunker in there. The low game of his back-to-back sets are: 23,14,17,17,7,20,13. So..his BEST b2b had a 23. He had 44 yesterday. Just sayin.....

ETA:I think a strong case can be made that Kristaps is better with Melo playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what scares me about Porzingas. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

It's already been stated this year that he has suffered fatigue and hit a rookie wall at times. Now look at all of his back-to-back sets. Every single one, without fail, has a clunker in there. The low game of his back-to-back sets are: 23,14,17,17,7,20,13. So..his BEST b2b had a 23. He had 44 yesterday. Just sayin.....

ETA:I think a strong case can be made that Kristaps is better with Melo playing.
Well this scares me a bit. He, Jrue, and MCW were my 3 bedrock guys. The only thing that remotely slowed him down last night was foul trouble, but that was against Boston, who might be the LAL of defending bigs/sorta bigs.

I was actually coming here to inquire into whether I should be stressed about leaving $1300 on the table with this lineup:

Jrue/MCW

Klay/Bazemore

Middleton/Gallinari

Porzingis/Gooden

Howard

Gooden is worrisome for cash and there's something about relying on Howard in cash that is worrisome too, even though he's been playing really well. I could use the left-overs to turn Gooden in Anderson, but I'm not sure that's necessarily any better and the latter certainly has a lower ceiling. Or I could turn Bazemore into Affalo and Howard into Boogie. Affalo is a better player than his salary, but he's so inconsistent; but I could see Boogie going crazy against NO whether Brow plays or not.

Insight would be appreciated.

Also, any general thoughts on GPP play would be appreciated. I have a couple $25 tickets tonight and I'm really not good at assembling GPP lineups.

Everyone but Zaza is out tonight for the Mavs, makes me uncomfortably playing any OKC players too. Could be over at the half

Zaza. Devin Harris is capable of hitting 6+x tonight. I doubt ill pull the trigger though. I don't think I'd even consider anyone else, too hard to predict.

Muiday is the play if you're paying down I think. Hard to think barea doesn't hit value though
I'm probably not going to get too cute with my cash play. I think I'm OK with:

Jrue/MCW

Klay/Affalo

Middleton/Gallinari

Prizingis/Gooden

Boogie

I'll probably get a little cute with my GPP play.

All of this is academic though since I hold in my hand a $1.5B scrap of paper. I never played the lottery in my life, but even I bought a ticket today.

Anyone not playing powerball tonight doesn't understand math. 1.4 billion, half in taxes is 700 million. Let's even say 2 people split the prize, that's 350 million. Odds of winning: 1 in 292 million. That's what we call +EV boys!

Melos officially out. Beal back tonight too

Here's a stab at a GPP lineup. I'm welcoming of all criticism anyone wants to give:

Jrue/MCW (chalk but I think they are high-floor/high-ceiling guys tonight)

Wade/G. Green (I'm not sure what Goran's absence really means, other than I think Green gets more run and Wade handles the ball more)

Shabazz/Porter (this is probably chalkier than I think)

Faried/Millsap (Millsap is probably not a high enough ceiling guy)

Boogie (Boogie gonna dominate methinks)

I do not like this slate much tonight for some reason.
Because it is only 3 games?
Main slate is 5 games. I tend to go with the largest slate possible. I'm not sure that's the proper approach from a profitability standpoint for me (in fact I think it's probably the improper approach), but I enjoy roster-building with larger slates more than smaller slates.

I don't like the Cleveland-SA game from a DFS standpoint (though I love it from a real basketball standpoint) -- it could be an 87-84 defensive lock-down game. The GS-LAL match-up is problematic to me because (a) while LAL are playing much better lately, they are still woefully overmatched by GS; (b) Draymond is out, making GS it tougher to project where the points come from there; and © the Lakers are so horrific against guards (and PG in particular) that Curry could shred them for like 35 first-half FD points, then play sparingly (if at all) in the 2nd half while Livingston gets some work since this team is (c.1.) likely pissed about losing to horrible Denver and (c.2.) likely to try to rest guys the first chance they get. I also get incredibly frustrated when I try to predict what the Grizz will do from game to game.

My current cash lineup is:

Curry/Ish (I think/hope Curry gets enough minutes to hit value, but if he doesn't that's a ton of salary up in smoke; Ish is Ish, he's probably good for value but he's more than capable of a random turd)

Hood/Lou (Hood I feel pretty good about, which means he's due for a clunker; Lou has been playing so well lately that I'm going to ignore how good GS is defensively and hope that Dray being out messes up their defensive rotations)

Barnes/Mirotic (Barnes should be OK without Dray, Mirotic isn't safe enough for my taste in cash but he's all I see)

Noel/Portis (Portis = see above for Mirotic; Noel because he fits and should get some points; is "dueling PF" the same as "dueling PG"?)

Cousins (this is probably a bad call, but I've got the salary laying around to use)

So that's 2 Warriors who may not see 30 minutes each, 2 Sixers, and 2 Bulls. I'm not loving it.

So much for Butler's ankle being gimpy. Wow. What a game. The 2 Bulls I picked have been horrific, but watching Butler tonight has been a joy.

I saw the Butler news at the same time as Brooks and end up last second swapping out a lineup that easily cashed for one that didnt. For NBA I've been doing this before submitting and it seems to work, as dumb as it is. For each player, independent of the rest of the lineup, I think "is there a chance I am going to regret my lineup because of this person?". If the answers yes, as was obviously the case with Brooks I take them out, even if it means swapping out a guy I really want to pay up for. Pretty much every time I don't cash its because I don't do that; the times when 9 solid plays don't cash a double up seem to be pretty comfortably above the cut line. I'm sure most of you guys already know that, but its been the biggest learning curve with NBA for me.

I didn't like either of my Bulls plays on the front but played them anyway. Totally my fault. Always listen to yourself when you have bad feelings about players. I just whiffed on Hood, which happens. All-in-all it was easily the worst cash lineup I've assembled all year. Thankfully I had enough sense to just play 0.3 units yesterday.

Playing the early 2 game slate I thought I might be in good shape. Had 4 scores in the books after the early game 46,44,41,and 32 with a lot of high ownership percentages my ace was Bobby Portis who Mike had been touting at 8.1% owned. At tip off Noel goes into the locker room, awesome he is 90% + owned but I have Portis instead. That is where the dream ended, Portis scores a goose egg and the 27% who took Butler before it was known he would play (3pm start) all cashed. No complaints Mike, your info is awesome, just really thought I had chance at one last night.

Playing the early 2 game slate I thought I might be in good shape. Had 4 scores in the books after the early game 46,44,41,and 32 with a lot of high ownership percentages my ace was Bobby Portis who Mike had been touting at 8.1% owned. At tip off Noel goes into the locker room, awesome he is 90% + owned but I have Portis instead. That is where the dream ended, Portis scores a goose egg and the 27% who took Butler before it was known he would play (3pm start) all cashed. No complaints Mike, your info is awesome, just really thought I had chance at one last night.
At one point Portis and Mirotic had combined for 19 minutes of play with zero FD points. That's actually hard to do.

In fairness to Mike, he warned about Portis's fluctuations, although I'm pretty sure he didn't see the goose-egg as a possibility. I take full responsibility since last night was the first time I've used Portis over Taj. I basically predicted Hood's crappiness too. I am the kiss of death right now.

FWIW, Portis is the real deal IMO, but he's just a rookie playing on a team with a ton of talented frontcourt guys fighting for minutes. He's got the skills of a much smaller player in a really long body.

That's weird, its not there anymore. A twitter search for Lin brought up news within the hour from earlier today from a reputable site, don't remember which, saying both were out. I've got no explanation, can't find it now

Killing it tonight. I just hope it holds up.
I was winning a couple mini GPPs late myself but got run down by some folks. Still a very good night. Gerald Green cost me some cash. Gambled a bit that Wade would sit. Even with his turd I easily topped 300. I really needed it. Been a rough 2016 so far.

I was winning a couple mini GPPs late myself but got run down by some folks. Still a very good night. Gerald Green cost me some cash. Gambled a bit that Wade would sit. Even with his turd I easily topped 300. I really needed it. Been a rough 2016 so far.
G. Green and D. Gooden combining for 18.4 cost me a lot of money. Put up 341 in spite of those turds. Oh what might have been.. But no complaints, $264 in and $5,213 out plus a $1,065 Super Baller ticket Great night and I needed it, was down close to $2k for 2016 before tonight.

G. Green and D. Gooden combining for 18.4 cost me a lot of money. Put up 341 in spite of those turds. Oh what might have been.. But no complaints, $264 in and $5,213 out plus a $1,065 Super Baller ticket Great night and I needed it, was down close to $2k for 2016 before tonight.
Outstanding. Glad to hear it. 341 on a night like last night is a monster. I wasn't that high, but my cash lineup topped 310. Thankfully I ran it out in a couple smallish GPPs. My GPP-only lineups weren't so good.

I have no idea what to do with PG tonight, there are easily 6 guys I would have no problem starting. SF has several options as well. This seems like a night when a crazy out of nowhere LU is going to beat all of the chalk. Guys Like Reggie Jackson, Teague and Clarkson should be very low owned with all of the high profile PG options, it might be a good time to come out of left field.

I have no idea what to do with PG tonight, there are easily 6 guys I would have no problem starting. SF has several options as well. This seems like a night when a crazy out of nowhere LU is going to beat all of the chalk. Guys Like Reggie Jackson, Teague and Clarkson should be very low owned with all of the high profile PG options, it might be a good time to come out of left field.
This sounds right. Depending on Conley, I'm looking at Chalmers and Ish for cash but there are a ton of ways to play it.

Struggling to assemble a lineup for cash. I've got one, but it leaves $3300 unspent, which is way too much. Lots of value guys who are attractive to my eye. Then a big jump to the elite guys. Can't quite save enough to afford Westy without going all-in on Indy.

Beverly/Johnson

Harden/Ellis

George/Gallinari

Randle/Faried

Jokic

Would like to turn Beverly into Westbrook, but I need $2700 more to accomplish that. If I can't figure something a little more involved, I will probably turn Beverly into Parker just because I have more than enough cash.

Tennessee_ATO said:
Struggling to assemble a lineup for cash. I've got one, but it leaves $3300 unspent, which is way too much. Lots of value guys who are attractive to my eye. Then a big jump to the elite guys. Can't quite save enough to afford Westy without going all-in on Indy.

Beverly/Johnson

Harden/Ellis

George/Gallinari

Randle/Faried

Jokic

Would like to turn Beverly into Westbrook, but I need $2700 more to accomplish that. If I can't figure something a little more involved, I will probably turn Beverly into Parker just because I have more than enough cash.
Faried to Arthur(+1800), Jokic to Hill(+400) or Jokic to Kanter (+300), Johnson to Udrih(+600) gets you Westbrook... and by chance a line up very similar to one I am running tonight.

Tennessee_ATO said:

Beverly/Johnson

Harden/Ellis

George/Gallinari

Randle/Faried

Jokic

Faried to Arthur(+1800), Jokic to Hill(+400) or Jokic to Kanter (+300), Johnson to Udrih(+600) gets you Westbrook... and by chance a line up very similar to one I am running tonight.
Udrih out.

Looks to me that Monta, Johnson, and Randle are almost must-starts in cash. Harden might be too. After that some combo of the Indiana bigs who are playing seems pretty compelling.

I've got a bajillion FD points I finally feel the need to spend. Historically I have loaded-up on NFL double-ups and tried to go with the lower-risk to turn them into dollars. I've never spent them in NBA contests before. I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better served by doing something like loading-up in the Swat ($1) or the Shot ($2) with a ton of entries and seeing if I can't get lucky. What is the approach that you guys take?

Tennessee_ATO said:
I've got a bajillion FD points I finally feel the need to spend. Historically I have loaded-up on NFL double-ups and tried to go with the lower-risk to turn them into dollars. I've never spent them in NBA contests before. I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better served by doing something like loading-up in the Swat ($1) or the Shot ($2) with a ton of entries and seeing if I can't get lucky. What is the approach that you guys take?
I save up and throw them at a bigger GPP than I would normally enter when I have a roster I really like.

Did well on the early slate yesterday. Was feeling saucy after that, so I threw in about 1.75 units into the late slate with placeholders. Then totally forgot to actually construct my lineups later. I literally flushed it all down the toilet with a stellar 253.4.

How much does RG pimping a player move the ownership needle? I had Mudiay in my GPP lineups, but RG is touting him now. Should I expect that to spike his ownership some? If so, how much?

How much does RG pimping a player move the ownership needle? I had Mudiay in my GPP lineups, but RG is touting him now. Should I expect that to spike his ownership some? If so, how much?
Not that much. If you like a guy RG pimpn him is not a reason to move away.
Thanks. I didn't. Unfortunately I was big on Wade and Johnson too. And the Bucks picked yesterday to sorta play defense for the first time all season.

My current cash lineup tonight:

Johnson/Rajon -- Like a moth to the flame...

Lou/Fournier -- Loving Lou's usage right now and with Kobe gimpy I'm thinking it will continue. Mike likes Fournier, so I'm good with that.

Durant/Gay -- Gay's "due" for a 40+ game based on the scientific analysis of alternating big games with lackluster games, and with the Lakers's "defense" it should be doable; I think Durant torches the Bobhornetcats.

Noel/Randle -- 2 Lakers, not ideal but Nance is out and Randle's usage has been nice lately; Noel has been playing well and I like his matchup

Vuc -- should be a monster on the glass tonight

Users who are viewing this thread