What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NBA Top Shot Thread - kind of like sports card + crypto, seems money to be made.... (1 Viewer)

I sold all of my moments. I’ll still check in from time to time because it was kinda fun but they’re clearly still figuring stuff out. More than quadrupled my initial small investment, though. 

I have also completed the identity verification and waiting for final approval :D   (FYI, you just have to fill out a form with address and SSN, upload pic of your ID, and take a selfie which they use to face-ID verify against your ID photo) 

ETA: Approved! That only took a couple of minutes and got the approval email. Also elected to do an ETH transfer to Coinbase to save the $20 in fees. Wanted to add some ETH anyway. Free crypto! Now we wait. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone been able to complete the withdraw approval process without actually initiating an actual withdrawal request?  That's what I have a few back and forth emails about now with them.  It's like I'm dealing with AI.  Can't get a straight answer and I don't think I'm being overly confusing at all.  All I want is instant liquidity when I want to withdraw.  

I have not been triggered on Dapper for the Identity Check thing.  Sounds like that is automated and this person will not kick that off for me.  

They should be doing the Identity Check and screening upon sign up.  That could also potentially eliminate duplicate account attempts.  

Has anyone been able to complete the withdraw approval process without actually initiating an actual withdrawal request?  That's what I have a few back and forth emails about now with them.  It's like I'm dealing with AI.  Can't get a straight answer and I don't think I'm being overly confusing at all.  All I want is instant liquidity when I want to withdraw.  

I have not been triggered on Dapper for the Identity Check thing.  Sounds like that is automated and this person will not kick that off for me.  

They should be doing the Identity Check and screening upon sign up.  That could also potentially eliminate duplicate account attempts.  
I did see there was a "skip for now" button but didn't even try it, as I figured they wouldn't let you withdraw without it. But once verified, you should be able to withdraw any time you like, via one of their allowed methods. Looks like wire transfer or ETH wallet transfer are the only 2 options right now. 

Agreed on the ID check. 

Well I've recently lost money hand over fist.  Probably should have sold out of all this 2 months ago.  Luckily I made a few bucks on a few big trades, which has offset most (all?) of my losses.
It's getting bad now that even the packs are becoming questionable. I'm sure money's still to be made there but it's becoming less and less (likely) with each drop. Not to mention the money spent having to meet requirement. Packs ARE their remaining market. There's no market for these players RARE moments that no one's heard of. I consider myself a pretty big NBA fan and I'd never heard of the player @Synthesizergot. Someone else got a G-league ATL guard I think (Collins?) that I've never heard of.

I'd imagine either you bought moments early....and now obviously have plummeted....or tried doing these challenges recently.

I just can't imagine doing more than the cheaper packs right now. And not opening them. Someone mentioned awhile back but I agree that these "35000+" (use your judgment) will be $1 or less soon....with the fees etc...I think they're going to be much less than $1 and probably more like spare change.

I could see this bouncing back in time.....this company REALLY needs to take a break and get things together. I can also see the bottom falling out of this thing in offseason (JMO values will plummet this offseason more than they already have). I think it'll see a spike -- who knows if temporary or not -- when they offer legend moments (ie Jordan/Kobe etc...). But it's much more likely to collapse with this company running it IMO.

.this company REALLY needs to take a break and get things together.
I'm looking for the first "Flippers and Resellers" catered drop!!

"Dear Flippers/Resellers, 

Here's your big chance....."

There's not a big collectors market on these things. Nowhere near what these folks want to make you believe.

I got a couple $9 packs and that’s about it for me. I’ve never been high on it but after paying attention a bit I just don’t see the appeal. It’s not even entertaining. I looked at the clip once, most of them are just OK highlights and that’s about it. 

It's getting bad now that even the packs are becoming questionable. I'm sure money's still to be made there but it's becoming less and less (likely) with each drop. Not to mention the money spent having to meet requirement. Packs ARE their remaining market. There's no market for these players RARE moments that no one's heard of. I consider myself a pretty big NBA fan and I'd never heard of the player @Synthesizergot. Someone else got a G-league ATL guard I think (Collins?) that I've never heard of.

I'd imagine either you bought moments early....and now obviously have plummeted....or tried doing these challenges recently.

I just can't imagine doing more than the cheaper packs right now. And not opening them. Someone mentioned awhile back but I agree that these "35000+" (use your judgment) will be $1 or less soon....with the fees etc...I think they're going to be much less than $1 and probably more like spare change.

I could see this bouncing back in time.....this company REALLY needs to take a break and get things together. I can also see the bottom falling out of this thing in offseason (JMO values will plummet this offseason). I think it'll see a spike -- who knows if temporary or not -- when they offer legend moments (ie Jordan/Kobe etc...). But it's much more likely to collapse with this company running it IMO.
Right.  It seems Top Shot has just been guessing and trying random ideas the last few weeks.  It has messed with the supply and demand, and people are pissed.  One day it is unlimited packs, the next day it is a challenge with a crappy reward, the next day it is a somewhat rare pack with mostly crappy players, etc.  Owning moments is so much better than a simple picture of the player.  I would have been drooling at the idea of this as a kid.  But they need to get back to basics which is cheap packs with mostly cheap unlimited moments, and rare packs with great moments from superstars.  I would love to buy low on some of these cool moments, but I have no idea what TS is going to do next which might tank the value.  People don't mind buying a lotto ticket for $10 and coming up empty.  But when 75k of your users spend $150 on a lotto ticket and get a pile of doo doo, those users won't stick around for long.

Craig_MiamiFL said:
I'm looking for the first "Flippers and Resellers" catered drop!!

"Dear Flippers/Resellers, 

Here's your big chance....."

There's not a big collectors market on these things. Nowhere near what these folks want to make you believe.
The best is how the "genuines" rip the "rent seekers".... then in subsequent tweets or whatever are complaining about how red their account is.....then you'll see how they're in this for the long haul based on whatever can get them to sleep at night.  Wait til the playoffs, wait til marketing, wait til out of Beta, wait til the however many millions of NBA fans around the globe see what's being built here....

I could be wrong in the long run, but the "rent seekers" sure seem like the savvy investors/collectors right now (if they can liquidate).  And there's nothing stopping a "rent seeker" from owning a few long term moments of studs just in case.  

I always thought the Jordan/Kobe etc moments would be the jump the shark point for TS.  I guess it could lead to more interest, but if you can't get the current NBA right, retired HOF'ers aren't going to save the sinking ship.  I think..

I always thought the Jordan/Kobe etc moments would be the jump the shark point for TS.  I guess it could lead to more interest, but if you can't get the current NBA right, retired HOF'ers aren't going to save the sinking ship.  I think..
You might be right it might not help it long term (and likely would hurt value of current stars). It'll definitely help short-term/present (and make topshot some more quick bucks). Also think Jordan would bring in more COLLECTORS (!!!) that might not even know what topshot is.

There's so many trash moments right now. Like a Christian Wood breakaway dunk in a meaningless game is a moment I believe. They've just completely oversaturated their product already.

I really don't get topshot at all. There's so very few memorable moments right now to begin with......yet they don't seem to be capturing them (and someone can correct me if they have). Just bizarre. Like how about Kawhi's shot with Raptors that advanced them past Philly? Lillard's game and series (I believe) winner over Paul George and OKC?

You might be right it might not help it long term (and likely would hurt value of current stars). It'll definitely help short-term/present (and make topshot some more quick bucks). Also think Jordan would bring in more COLLECTORS (!!!) that might not even know what topshot is.

There's so many trash moments right now. Like a Christian Wood breakaway dunk in a meaningless game is a moment I believe. They've just completely oversaturated their product already.

I really don't get topshot at all. There's so very few memorable moments right now to begin with......yet they don't seem to be capturing them (and someone can correct me if they have). Just bizarre. Like how about Kawhi's shot with Raptors that advanced them past Philly? Lillard's game and series (I believe) winner over Paul George and OKC?
Kinda where I was at. I’m looking through some of these “moments” and underwhelming would be an understatement. They wouldn’t even make the evening highlight show. 

Kinda where I was at. I’m looking through some of these “moments” and underwhelming would be an understatement. They wouldn’t even make the evening highlight show. 
Based on what I've seen there's no rhyme or reason as to why one is good or bad. People will hype these up until someone points out that the emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

Based on what I've seen there's no rhyme or reason as to why one is good or bad. People will hype these up until someone points out that the emperor isn't wearing any clothes.
I actually think a moment's relative value is fairly predictable, values have just been crashing across the board. Better players' moments are typically worth more, and rarer moments are typically worth more. So a Lebron /99 is more valuable than a Lebron /35,000, and a Lebron /35,000 is more valuable than a Devin Vassell /35,000. 

Not to defend the model here, but you nerds totally aren’t getting it.  The particular moment in a shot doesn’t matter.  You card dorks aren’t valuing a Mickey Mantle card because he looks particularly handsome in the photo. IT DOESN’T ####### MATTER what the photo or moment is. It’s not the point. 

Jesus you guys are ####### dense. 

Not to defend the model here, but you nerds totally aren’t getting it.  The particular moment in a shot doesn’t matter.  You card dorks aren’t valuing a Mickey Mantle card because he looks particularly handsome in the photo. IT DOESN’T ####### MATTER what the photo or moment is. It’s not the point. 

:goodposting:

Keep spending GB. Money to be made here

I have a sweet Mason Plumlee dunk numbered 29,411 that I think you would really like. His hair flows in the wind as he throws down a monster a dunk.  He is actually quite striking. 

nerds? dorks? we're not the ones getting scammed. 

When are the Bridges of Madison County NFTs hitting the market? Lots of interest in those.

Isn't Top Shots just repeating the same problem from early 90s card collecting?  The companies pump out tons and tons of cards (making $$$ for the company), while collectors get left holding junk because there isn't any scarcity.  Let's say years from now, you want an Anthony Davis moment.  Well you are in luck because they have released 17 Anthony Davis moments since September.  Repeat that year after year, and there will be hundreds of moments available for every player.  I can see the rare moments holding some value, but not the $5k - $25k values we are seeing now.
For those keeping track, Top Shots has released 10 million series 2 base moments.

Converted to ETH on CB. $150 of free ETH, thanks Top Shot! :lol:  Still have my initial investment of ~50 in funds in my Dapper acct for pack purchases plus 3 unopened packs and 4 moments. 

Synthesizer said:
For those keeping track, Top Shots has released 10 million series 2 base moments.
Are those out of 35,000? 350B is a lot. Pretty soon, we’ll start seeing starving kids in their Chiefs back to back SB winners t-shirts showing us their donated top shot moments on their iPhone 5s.

CR69 said:
How many basketball cards do you think Panini prints a year?
I tried to Google this and got nowhere. Is it not well known how many cards are printed for each year or set? I doubt it’s 350B total cards (actually more considering all the non-base top shots), but still can’t believe it’s not widely available.

I tried to Google this and got nowhere. Is it not well known how many cards are printed for each year or set? I doubt it’s 350B total cards (actually more considering all the non-base top shots), but still can’t believe it’s not widely available.
Pretty sure he was saying top shot has minted 10m total, not 10m*35k.

Panini does keep a pretty tight lid on how many cards they've printed. You can really only tell that they're increasing print runs by looking at the additional parallels and inserts they keep adding. Waaaaaaaay more this year than before. 

Pretty sure he was saying top shot has minted 10m total, not 10m*35k.

Panini does keep a pretty tight lid on how many cards they've printed. You can really only tell that they're increasing print runs by looking at the additional parallels and inserts they keep adding. Waaaaaaaay more this year than before. 
It’s got to be way more than 10M total. 35k is the number of “cards” per common moment. Are you saying there are only 286 unique moments in a set? That would be 1 moment per NBA player for the entire year let alone per game per player. If you figure only 1 moment per game per player that’s 25,000 moments. If you figure that some of these moments aren’t the crazy highlights and are scoring, blocks, rebounds, dunks, assists and eating a sandwich, 10M moments in a series seems very plausible. I’d believe the billions of individual cards.

It’s got to be way more than 10M total. 35k is the number of “cards” per common moment. Are you saying there are only 286 unique moments in a set? That would be 1 moment per NBA player for the entire year let alone per game per player. If you figure only 1 moment per game per player that’s 25,000 moments. If you figure that some of these moments aren’t the crazy highlights and are scoring, blocks, rebounds, dunks, assists and eating a sandwich, 10M moments in a series seems very plausible. I’d believe the billions of individual cards.
In the series 2 base set, there are 2 moments for many of the stars, and 1 moment for lesser players.  I'm just reporting the 10 million total moments that others have calculated.  It isn't quite as simple as 286 unique moments x 35k = 10 million since some of the moments are limited edition at 10k, 15k, etc.

I'm not sure that all 35000 copies of each moment have been released. I think they keep going out in new packs.

Signed up for the fanduel challenge yesterday, created my lineup and everything...Checked this morning to see if I won any free packs, and my entry isn't there. :lol:  Totally gone. Not sure what happened.

Signed up for the fanduel challenge yesterday, created my lineup and everything...Checked this morning to see if I won any free packs, and my entry isn't there. :lol:  Totally gone. Not sure what happened.
I signed up too. DFS basketball is the absolute worst. No matter how much research you do and how on top of it you are, undoubtedly one of your players will sit at the last minute or they will be on minute restrictions due to back to back games. I ended up with a zero from Gary Trent last night because he was a DNP-Coaches Decision. One zero in your lineup is the kiss of death. 

Geeks dorks dweebs nerds

Your reservation pack of video clips are available for purchase if you signed up.

Good luck on your clip pack rip topshotters

Another guaranteed pack drop 😕

A lot of these 35k++++++++ moments are down to $2-3 (no doubt they continue to fall)

Before long the values of the 3 moments you get COMBINED won't be more than the service fees they charge for the transaction  :lmao:  

IMPORTANT UPDATE

We will be retiring a number of Base Set Moments this week. We will also be raising the Circulating Count for newly introduced Moments to meet the demand for Base Set Moments with our Reservation Packs and plans for the NBA Playoffs. (1/)

@topshot_updates
@topshot_updates

We want to continue to make Base Set Moments and packs accessible for new collectors to enter the NBA Top Shot community. The likely edition sizes will increase from 35K CC to 40K CC, and we will mint additional CC Moments as needed.

Another guaranteed pack drop 😕

A lot of these 35k++++++++ moments are down to $2-3 (no doubt they continue to fall)

Before long the values of the 3 moments you get COMBINED won't be more than the service fees they charge for the transaction  :lmao:  
Yeah, I sold my remaining moments and am in the withdrawal process right now. Was fun while it lasted, but this has quickly gone from an automatic moneymaker to an automatic money loser. 

And on the topic of withdrawals, does anyone know when the amount of ETH you receive is calculated? Is it based on the price when you started the withdrawal, or the price when the withdrawal is completed? ETH has fallen about 25% since I started mine. :oldunsure:  

And on the topic of withdrawals, does anyone know when the amount of ETH you receive is calculated? Is it based on the price when you started the withdrawal, or the price when the withdrawal is completed? ETH has fallen about 25% since I started mine. :oldunsure:  
Looks like I misunderstood the crypto withdrawal thing. You get your Dapper balance in "USD Coins," not ETH, so there's no need to worry about crypto prices tanking. Transfer now complete, turned my $15 into a cool $240.  :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread