What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NBA Top Shot Thread - kind of like sports card + crypto, seems money to be made.... (1 Viewer)

$1 moments have arrived...... (penny moments coming soon!! Not talking Anfernee Hardaday either :(  )

Free fallin'

This thing is dead. They've managed put this thing in the ground before the playoffs began....

I do think it'll have a (temporary) spike again when legend moments are available but go check moments in the marketplace that've you've checked in the past, and check their asking price today :lmao:  

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:  Offering $50 to new sign ups that buy moment.

Trying to rid of the $1 moments that are starting to flood the marketplace. :lol: They already decreased the min from $2 to now $1. Wont be long before it's a quarter 😂 Once the packs became money losers, they were done for. There's zero market for individual moments

Craig_MiamiFL said:
:lmao:  Offering $50 to new sign ups that buy moment.

Trying to rid of the $1 moments that are starting to flood the marketplace. :lol: They already decreased the min from $2 to now $1. Wont be long before it's a quarter 😂 Once the packs became money losers, they were done for. There's zero market for individual moments
It’s quite amazing that this is a common view but the complete opposite also is. There doesn’t seem to be much middle ground. My buddy keeps saying yesterday was the bottom. 🤪

Like they started “marketing” today, so the shills are out in force loving it. From what I can gather, it’s social media driven (ads on FB, etc) and they’re getting verified accounts on Twitter with large followings to bring in new users. I’d love to know what those people are getting in return. Apparently this is the passive approach. Aggressive marketing will be post Beta. Whatever that means.

They’re also giving $16 credit to existing customers. You have to use #topshotthis or some tag like that and then show proof. I didn’t dig into all the details but it seems pretty easy. I’m hoping to come across a great “oooops” highlight to send them lol. Feel free to post an “oooops” highlight here! We should all use the same one 

Judging by the market, its a lot more likely than not to lose money now on these packs. Even the $9 ones.

All they've been doing this whole time is propping with now money gutting challenges.

Sure they'll prop up a little offering credits. It's just kicking the can. The concept is over. They've literally imploded within months

There's no market for individual moments. And that's always going to be a problem. And they've already shown they'll up the # of available individual moments at any time 

It’s quite amazing that this is a common view but the complete opposite also is. There doesn’t seem to be much middle ground. My buddy keeps saying yesterday was the bottom. 🤪

Like they started “marketing” today, so the shills are out in force loving it. From what I can gather, it’s social media driven (ads on FB, etc) and they’re getting verified accounts on Twitter with large followings to bring in new users. I’d love to know what those people are getting in return. Apparently this is the passive approach. Aggressive marketing will be post Beta. Whatever that means.
I disagree wholeheartedly with your buddy.

They've catered this to players/influencers since the beginning. Holding back 1000s and 1000s of packs for them.

They can try all the additional schemes/ploys/marketing they want (no doubt they'll squeeze the sponge dry...and then some), but there's no individual moment market. Now people are losing money on packs (which is where any remaining interest was).

Any above all else, they been catering to COLLECTORS COLLECTORS COLLECTORS.. and that wells run dry. I mean how many POSSIBLE collectors have been hiding under rock the last few months? 

I don't blame them for trying this "giving back" stuff. It's only to try to suck all the $1 moments out of marketplace. They know they're circling the drain. I've said it for awhile....they need to let this thing breathe. JMO They should have taken a break awhile back.

I’m still not 100% positive this thing is over, but it sure seems that way. The NFT thing makes no sense to me in general and it seems like the fad is quickly dying. Congrats to all who struck while it was hot and made actual money though. Folks who made NFTs out of their old internet memes and made a bunch of money are geniuses.

Reportedly were 80k packs still available with this latest drop that ended this AM. 

I passed on it. Was near a guaranteed money loser unless pulled a Bron, Lamelo (for now). There's $9-10 Curry's available in marketplace. Most all else going in the $1-3 range.

BTW, apparently the "free money" for new signups is "Up to" $50. 

I haven't taken the time to read it all but it's likely just as I stated before....they're looking for folks to clean up the $1 moments in marketplace....then they'll send them $50 (probably months and months later thru dogecoin minus some fees). :lol:  I got to give it to these folks with TS, they really are gonna milk this thing for everything it's worth when everyone is ####ting on it now. I just don't see it having a long shelf time with the guys running TS now.

It's just a bit mind blowing to me that they've run interest in this into the ground so fast. It's pretty impressive really :lol:  

#### will be dead with TS before it's out of "beta"

hmmm, so now to open my unopened packs and try to get what I can back out of them, or HODL?
I'm keeping sealed to see the landscape when they are able to be sold sealed.  TS isn't going anywhere anytime that soon.  At least until the first agreement with the NBA dries up in a couple years.

That said, mine were almost all purchased from the sales of two moments minus my initial investment of like $30.

I'm keeping sealed to see the landscape when they are able to be sold sealed.  TS isn't going anywhere anytime that soon.  At least until the first agreement with the NBA dries up in a couple years.

That said, mine were almost all purchased from the sales of two moments minus my initial investment of like $30.
Yeah, kinda my thinking as well. I'm freerolling what I have left on TS now anyway. 

I'm not sure why you think the value of unopened packs is going to increase significantly, when the value of the cards in those packs is dropping rapidly, and new drops of similar packages aren't even selling out.

I'm trying to convert as many of my cards for $$$$ as I can.

I'm not sure why you think the value of unopened packs is going to increase significantly, when the value of the cards in those packs is dropping rapidly, and new drops of similar packages aren't even selling out.

I don't think anyone thinks they're going to increase significantly but decline less rapidly due to the unknown. If able to sell unopened packs on marketplace in time, you'll have streamers wanting them for content (and they'll believe they'll make money back from donations streaming)

The ship has probably sailed on making much money on the unopened packs. They were going for hundreds on ebay a month or two ago (I haven't checked recently). However, I feel more confident saying you wouldn't lose money selling an unopened pack today vs. I'll all but guarantee you lose money trying to sell the 3 moments you RIPPED from the common pack.

I've never saw any value in individual moments from the beginning. Never have, never will think there's a market. TS is in (big IMO) trouble now that even these packs are increasingly becoming a losing proposition. And I think they know that and why they're offering "free money" for new signups / existing members. But it's not really "free money"....all they want is the $1 moments out of the marketplace (which is just kicking the can down the road because IMO $1 will seem like a ransom for some of the moments currently listed at $1 in time)

Yeah, I saw the first ad on FB today and the comments were not kind. The marketing (on FB at least) has completely backfired.

I always laugh when TS Twitter asks "WHAT DID YOU RIP?"

And 95% of the responses are scrubs/benchwarmers like "Tacko Fall, Dewayne Dedmon, and Chandler Hutchinson"

It's actually quite sad watching the garbage they retweet now. I think they retweeted a Ricky Rubio RIP that MAY go for $1 on the marketplace.

I don't think I said they're going to increase significantly, at least recently.  I just think there is no point in ripping them now in a down market while essentially freerolling, so waiting to see what happens is the only other option.  Ripping, hoping for a Lebron, and cashing out could be in the works at some point for me as well.  Just ok with waiting.

I always laugh when TS Twitter asks "WHAT DID YOU RIP?"

And 95% of the responses are scrubs/benchwarmers like "Tacko Fall, Dewayne Dedmon, and Chandler Hutchinson"

It's actually quite sad watching the garbage they retweet now. I think they retweeted a Ricky Rubio RIP that MAY go for $1 on the marketplace.
:lmao:  I really want to figure out the worst possible pack they'd retweet. If someone posts "STOKED to finally land these hot rookies!!" with a picture of their Jahmi'us Ramsey / Nico Mannion / Udoka Azubuike pack, would that be enough to land a sweet RT?

:lmao:  I really want to figure out the worst possible pack they'd retweet. If someone posts "STOKED to finally land these hot rookies!!" with a picture of their Jahmi'us Ramsey / Nico Mannion / Udoka Azubuike pack, would that be enough to land a sweet RT?
Somebody posted a truly horrendous pack the other day, and they were mad about it, and top shot replied “for the love of the game ❤️“   :lmao:   :lmao:  

I feel like this whole top shot thing was a business school student's midterm project. The assignment was to make a bunch of money without a product, without supply, without demand and just market the hell out of something. So some enterprising young mind found a way to sell ice to eskimos. 

"seems money to be made"... yep, that kid is laughing all the way to bank. And of course they got an A+ on their midterm project.

Damn - 2 to 4 weeks to withdraw funds? Still slightly skeptical that I'll ever see the money, but at least the withdrawal fee dropped from $25 to $5 by sending to a crypto site. 

Damn - 2 to 4 weeks to withdraw funds? Still slightly skeptical that I'll ever see the money, but at least the withdrawal fee dropped from $25 to $5 by sending to a crypto site. 
FWIW, my withdrawal to coinbase only took 3 days or so. 

Think that was one of the biggest issues. Beta or not, it shouldn’t be a circus to try and withdraw your money, especially when deposits were instantaneous. Felt scammy. Lebron no look 3 is a good gauge of the market IMO. Popular moment printed in bulk. Down to $199.

Should just let TS (and this topic) die but saw they released "Premium Packs" today. 

Required "Collector Score"? 2500 :lmao:  Someone smarter than me can calculate what you'd have/had to spend to be even eligible for these.

They've gotten so hot and bothered they disabled replies to their Twitter posts as well  :lmao:  

Should just let TS (and this topic) die but saw they released "Premium Packs" today. 

Required "Collector Score"? 2500 :lmao:  Someone smarter than me can calculate what you'd have/had to spend to be even eligible for these.

They've gotten so hot and bothered they disabled replies to their Twitter posts as well  :lmao:  
On the plus? side, people trying to get up to that score have driven the price of the low-value cards back up to $3-$4 for the moment

On the plus? side, people trying to get up to that score have driven the price of the low-value cards back up to $3-$4 for the moment
Yeah that and the "free money" 'up to' $50 for new collectors and 'up to' $16 for old collectors got those $1 moments out a week or so ago. 

Got to hand it to them....they're getting everything out of the sponge :lol:  

There's just no real market for individual moments. Everything they're offering right now are money losers. I mean, if you're a hardcore collector of video clips, wonderful. 

Why are they still doing this when the amount of customers has cooled off??

Why are they still doing this when the amount of customers has cooled off??
Right or wrong, I think they think they have a solid base.  But it's already a conflicted base (s1 OGs vs Feb/Mar).  Then you have the flippers and collectors who just can't be collector score 2500 type collectors.  An overwhelming amount of these people, especially the Feb/Mar crew, want the flippers out and think TONS of the nba fans around the world simply don't know about TS and will make TS huge.  

Anyone.....please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Yeah that and the "free money" 'up to' $50 for new collectors and 'up to' $16 for old collectors got those $1 moments out a week or so ago. 

Got to hand it to them....they're getting everything out of the sponge :lol:  

There's just no real market for individual moments. Everything they're offering right now are money losers. I mean, if you're a hardcore collector of video clips, wonderful. 
There were also 250+ moments that generally go for around $3 or less bought at a $12 price point.  One of mine was bought, a 40k Patty Mills for $12.  I'm guessing TS gave these "influencers" the cash or some perk to do this.  Then they are going to giveaway all the moments they bought back to the community.  I'm sure that $12 has been reinvested in most cases already.

It's crazy to see so many people rave about this market increase, but fail to realize (or admit) it was not done organically.  That's the problem with TS.  It's all been manipulation and pumps.

I probably sound like a broken record in here.  🤣

I still really like the idea of owning a collection of great plays.  But TopShot has been all over the place with their decisions and execution lately.  They are always trying to fix a previous mistake.  For example, they wanted to make rares more available to everyone so they released 81,000 "rare" Throwdown packs.  Since that bombed and everyone sold the mistake, TopShot made collector score the qualification for the next rare pack.... and they gave a strange bonus score to those who have lost money in the marketplace.  They've got a legendary drop coming up and the rumor is a collector score of 5,000.  So they've pretty much priced out any new users unless a new user wants to spend over $1k just to become eligible.

And yes, the value of moments is VERY dependent on every TopShot decision.  Changes to collector score, requirements, challenges, release numbers, new sets, and ticket trade-in system can all send a specific moment value sky-high or crashing to the ground.  I'll continue enjoying the cheap stuff but I don't have much faith in anything more than that.

There were also 250+ moments that generally go for around $3 or less bought at a $12 price point.  One of mine was bought, a 40k Patty Mills for $12.  I'm guessing TS gave these "influencers" the cash or some perk to do this.  Then they are going to giveaway all the moments they bought back to the community.  I'm sure that $12 has been reinvested in most cases already.

It's crazy to see so many people rave about this market increase, but fail to realize (or admit) it was not done organically.  That's the problem with TS.  It's all been manipulation and pumps.

I probably sound like a broken record in here.  🤣
Spot. On

Secured my playoff pack with my house money. :lol: leaving it unopened for now. 

FYI, "new collectors" (those having bought no more than 1 pack) can reserve a $9 pack for a drop next week. 

Users who are viewing this thread